inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Chinese/Asian foods

Written By: audkal on 08/02/07 at 10:32 pm

Sesame chicken!!  Also like cashew chicken, and egg rolls.  You guys? ::)

Subject: Re: Favorite Chinese/Asian foods

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/02/07 at 10:36 pm

Mmmmm...I love sweet & sour chicken, walnut chicken, and crab rangoons...oh, and won ton soup.

Written By: whistledog on 08/02/07 at 11:00 pm

Sweet & Sour Chicken balls, Chicken Fried Rice, Egg Noodles and Fortune Cookies (LOL).  Of course after I eat all this, I am hungry again

Written By: spaceace on 08/03/07 at 12:56 am

Beef Lo Mein.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/03/07 at 6:57 am

The parents of a friend of mine were right off of the boat from China.  I don't know what it was when I went to the house for meals, but it spoiled me for the local take-aways.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/03/07 at 7:20 am

Sweet and sour chicken, seasame chicken, orange chicken, fried rice, egg rolls, and more lol.

Written By: Jessica on 08/03/07 at 8:45 am

Yeah, half the stuff you guys are listing is Americanized. When you've eaten cold red octopus and jellyfish as appetizers, then talk to me. ;D

Seriously though, I like the Americanized stuff as well (which is all I'm getting in Indiana ::)), but the actual REAL Chinese food that is served in Oakland's Chinatown is so much more awesome.

I'm partial to the whole tradition of Dim Sum. When we visit Rice Cube's parents, we head out a little before lunchtime on the weekends to catch Dim Sum. I lurve cha siu baau (BBQ pork dumpling), har gau (shrimp dumpling), and the cheong fun (a sort of rice noodle roll filled with BBQ pork or shrimp and covered with a thin sauce). The desert of choice is mango pudding, which is served with a bit of condensed milk over it. Excellent.

From the banquet dinners we go to with Rice's family, I love the cold ginger chicken, the Peking duck, tofu with preserved fish....pretty much everything. I know there is more that I'm missing, but I'll ask Rice when he gets home. The dessert that is served afterwards is a sort of warm sweetened red bean soup with little tapioca pearls mixed in.

Tonight, I am making jook for dinner. Jook is a rice porridge that you can pretty much throw whatever into. Ours will consist of two preserved duck eggs, some rotisserie chicken, shredded dried pork, and some green onions.

Written By: Jessica on 08/03/07 at 9:00 am

Since it also says Asian food, I'll list some other things I like.

From Japan:
Besides sushi, there are a few dishes that I've run across that are equally good, if not better. Oyako Don Buri, which is a bowl of rice that has a sort of omelette on top, which consists of chicken, peas, shiitake mushrooms, green onion, and regular onion. Tonkatsu, which is a pork cutlet that has been breaded and deep fried. Then the miso soup, of course! They also have a type of tea that is made out of barley and served cold.

Thailand:
Chicken satae, pat thai, curries, and the Thai iced tea.

Phillippines:
Lumpia, pancit, and some other things that I don't know the names of, but were good anyways. ;D

Vietnam:
A dish I make called bun bo. It consists of rice noodles, thinly sliced pieces of steak, cucumbers, chili flakes, peanuts, and fish sauce. I also like any type of Pho.

Okay, I'm hungry again.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/03/07 at 9:34 am

Yeah, half the stuff you guys are listing is Americanized. When you've eaten cold red octopus and jellyfish as appetizers, then talk to me. ;D

Seriously though, I like the Americanized stuff as well (which is all I'm getting in Indiana ::)), but the actual REAL Chinese food that is served in Oakland's Chinatown is so much more awesome.

I'm partial to the whole tradition of Dim Sum. When we visit Rice Cube's parents, we head out a little before lunchtime on the weekends to catch Dim Sum. I lurve cha siu baau (BBQ pork dumpling), har gau (shrimp dumpling), and the cheong fun (a sort of rice noodle roll filled with BBQ pork or shrimp and covered with a thin sauce). The desert of choice is mango pudding, which is served with a bit of condensed milk over it. Excellent.

From the banquet dinners we go to with Rice's family, I love the cold ginger chicken, the Peking duck, tofu with preserved fish....pretty much everything. I know there is more that I'm missing, but I'll ask Rice when he gets home. The dessert that is served afterwards is a sort of warm sweetened red bean soup with little tapioca pearls mixed in.

Tonight, I am making jook for dinner. Jook is a rice porridge that you can pretty much throw whatever into. Ours will consist of two preserved duck eggs, some rotisserie chicken, shredded dried pork, and some green onions.

That is what I'm talkik' about!!!    :) ;)

Written By: Tam on 08/03/07 at 10:10 am

Of course I love the Americanized things: fried rice, chow mein, lo mein, sweet & sour pork, wonton soup etc...

My absolute favorite dish though is Chicken Soo Guy. It is breaded chicken in an almond gravy, with sliced almods to top it off. I mix it with either steamed rice or angel hair pasta! Delicious! I also love almost anything curry - so long as it is mild curry cause I am really not a fan of the heartburn that follows. :(

When you've eaten cold red octopus and jellyfish as appetizers, then talk to me. ;D

I have actually tried the octupus, wasn't too bad but I am sure it may have been better warmed? The Son hated it and pretty much lost his appetite for the rest of the day!

Written By: Jessica on 08/03/07 at 12:05 pm

That is what I'm talkik' about!!!     :) ;)

Five more months until I can eat it again....

Chicago has a Chinatown of course, but we're pretty broke, and I know the food I'm talking about is a wee bit expensive for our budget right now. :P

Of course I love the Americanized things: fried rice, chow mein, lo mein, sweet & sour pork, wonton soup etc...

My absolute favorite dish though is Chicken Soo Guy. It is breaded chicken in an almond gravy, with sliced almods to top it off. I mix it with either steamed rice or angel hair pasta! Delicious! I also love almost anything curry - so long as it is mild curry cause I am really not a fan of the heartburn that follows. :(

I have actually tried the octupus, wasn't too bad but I am sure it may have been better warmed? The Son hated it and pretty much lost his appetite for the rest of the day!

Oh, I'm not criticizing the Americanized food. I love me some lemon chicken and chop suey. I just wish that the true Chinese food was more readily available to everyone instead of just specialized areas of bigger cities. There is so much that people are missing! I never thought I would like duck, until I tried the traditional Peking duck at a dinner with Rice's grandparents.

And the octopus ooged me out a wee bit, but the jellyfish....mmmmm.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/03/07 at 12:15 pm

I'm all about the pho, it's pho-king good.

I also like all kinds of Chinese-ified food but have learned to stay away from Panda Express unless I'm desperately hungry.

Chinese foods don't usually employ a lot of dairy, which is why 95% of all Oriental folk are lactose intolerant.  The lack of dairy makes for a unique and awesome taste though (I do like me some dairy normally).

Written By: audkal on 08/03/07 at 12:17 pm

Yeah I've been hearing that the Americanized versions are a lot different (though I love them). ;)

Here's a sesame chicken recipe I like to make a lot.  By looking at the ingredients, do you guys think it's more Americanized?

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/284/Sesame_Chicken45109.shtml

FYI: The first review by "Audrey" is actually not me, lol.

Written By: Tam on 08/03/07 at 1:45 pm

Five more months until I can eat it again....

Chicago has a Chinatown of course, but we're pretty broke, and I know the food I'm talking about is a wee bit expensive for our budget right now. :P

Oh, I'm not criticizing the Americanized food. I love me some lemon chicken and chop suey. I just wish that the true Chinese food was more readily available to everyone instead of just specialized areas of bigger cities. There is so much that people are missing! I never thought I would like duck, until I tried the traditional Peking duck at a dinner with Rice's grandparents.

And the octopus ooged me out a wee bit, but the jellyfish....mmmmm.

My dad loves Duck, and I can imagine it's good but I don't think I will ever try it. ;)

While hubby was home I took him to Nami - a "Traditional" Japanese Hibatchi Restaurant.....
Needless to say, the food was all American with Soy Sauce added to it. Steak, shrimp, chicken, lobster, scallops....
It was all really good food, and we definitely enjoyed having the chef cook our food right in front of us, but for the price we paid, there should have been way more food and more traditional Japanese.....

I'm all about the pho, it's pho-king good.

You crack me up! ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/03/07 at 2:21 pm

So much. Lo main, cashew chicken, moo shoo pork, moo goo gai pan, General Tso's chicken, dumplings, crab rangoon, wanton soup, egg rolls, sweet & sour (doesn't matter chicken, pork, etc.), sesame chicken, mongolian beef, and I'm sure I have forgotten many others.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/03/07 at 2:59 pm

I'm quite partial to Kung Pao Chicken...and the 'spicier', the better!  :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/03/07 at 3:47 pm

I like it all - except for the seafood dishes.  Seriously, other than that, I could probably eat ANYTHING on a Chinese or Thai menu.  It's my favorite!

Written By: Stompgal on 09/30/07 at 5:07 am

Chinese

Chicken or beef in black bean sauce
Beef, chicken or plain chow mein
Egg fried rice
Boiled rice
Prawn crackers
Lemon chicken
Chicken with cashew nuts
Aromatic duck and pancakes

Indian
Chicken korma curry
Pilau rice
Plain rice
Naan bread (especially garlic and coriander)
Poppadoms

Thai
Thai green chicken or vegetable curry with rice

Check for new replies or respond here...