inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Brazilian Cooking

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/04/07 at 4:00 pm

Has anyone here tried Brazilian Cooking and is it really spicy? I would like to try it myself, especially the way they barbecue chicken.

Subject: Re: Brazilian Cooking

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/03/07 at 3:15 am

Something tells me Isabel could answer this question better than any of us.

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/03/07 at 5:18 pm

Be careful..when you go brazilian there's no turning back,you want it ALL the time ;)

As for spicy it depends,most of our dishes can be done without the it,we're very influenced by other cultures,african,italian,german,portuguese and even japanese so our cuisine is very mixed,you can find elements in it from all over the world.

Barbecue aka churrasco here is off the hook good and very simple to do 'cause sauce isn't the main thing for us,the secret is in how you do the meat.I love chicken but barbecue is not the best way to do it imo

Here's a recipe of true brazilian churrasco(for 4 to 6 ppl) it takes around 1 hour:
2 pounds beef tenderloin
3 teaspoons salt
juice of 2 lemons
1/4 teaspoon pepper
dash of dried hot pepper
1 large chopped onion
1/2 cilantro
Marinate the beef overnight in the juice of 1 lemon, salt and garlic.The next day: barbecue the meat,turning frequently Serve with a sauce made with the remaining lemon,the hot pepper,onion and cilantro.

You may serve it with Banana Farofa(takes 15 minutes):
6 bananas,cut into thick slices
5 tablespoons butter (use real butter,none of that "you wont believe it's not butter"8-P)
1 large onion cut into rings
3 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
Fry the bananas in the butter until golden brown then remove the bananas from the butter.Fry the onion rings in the same butter.Add the bananas back in,along with the breadcrumbs and brown.Don't let it get too dry.Add more butter if necessary.The crumbs should be coated with butter,but light and loose.Serve hot.

Written By: Jessica on 12/03/07 at 6:19 pm

Be careful..when you go brazilian there's no turning back,you want it ALL the time ;)

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sex.gif

As for spicy it depends,most of our dishes can be done without the it,we're very influenced by other cultures,african,italian,german,portuguese and even japanese so our cuisine is very mixed,you can find elements in it from all over the world.

Barbecue aka churrasco here is off the hook good and very simple to do 'cause sauce isn't the main thing for us,the secret is in how you do the meat.I love chicken but barbecue is not the best way to do it imo

Here's a recipe of true brazilian churrasco(for 4 to 6 ppl) it takes around 1 hour:
2 pounds beef tenderloin
3 teaspoons salt
juice of 2 lemons
1/4 teaspoon pepper
dash of dried hot pepper
1 large chopped onion
1/2 cilantro
Marinate the beef overnight in the juice of 1 lemon, salt and garlic.The next day: barbecue the meat,turning frequently Serve with a sauce made with the remaining lemon,the hot pepper,onion and cilantro.

You may serve it with Banana Farofa(takes 15 minutes):
6 bananas,cut into thick slices
5 tablespoons butter (use real butter,none of that "you wont believe it's not butter"8-P)
1 large onion cut into rings
3 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
Fry the bananas in the butter until golden brown then remove the bananas from the butter.Fry the onion rings in the same butter.Add the bananas back in,along with the breadcrumbs and brown.Don't let it get too dry.Add more butter if necessary.The crumbs should be coated with butter,but light and loose.Serve hot.

That sounds good. I will have to try it. :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/03/07 at 7:01 pm

Mmmmm...Brazilian cooking....

*drooling like Homer SImpson over a Duff beer*

Written By: nondiva234 on 12/06/07 at 6:28 pm

Brazilian food is awesome! I've tried Bolinhos da Chuva, and this really yummy appetizer made of tapioca and cheese. I've tried their barbecued beef, and it tastes very different. Feijoadas are delicious as well.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/06/07 at 6:31 pm

Brazilian food is awesome! I've tried Bolinhos da Chuva, and this really yummy appetizer made of tapioca and cheese. I've tried their barbecued beef, and it tastes very different. Feijoadas are delicious as well.

Any chance of recipes you would recommend?

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/11/07 at 2:50 pm

That's really cool! You must be talking about pão de queijo,we eat that all the time here. And Feijoada is like Brazil's national food.
Here's the recipe:

Feijoada (for 8 to 10 ppl)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large yellow onion,chopped
4 cloves garlic,crushed
1 red cayenne pepper,chopped
4 cups dried black beans,soaked overnight, drained
1 lb. salt pork,boiled for 5 minutes, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 lbs. Portuguese sausage (linguiça) or Italian sausage
1 lb. smoked Polish sausage, cut into 2-inch lengths
1 lb. smoked lean ham hocks
2 lbs. corned beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 lb. pork spareribs, cut small pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
4 bay leaves
1 fresh orange, washed, cut in half
2 quarts water
6 oranges, peeled, sliced
Heat the oil in a large,heavy,deep pot and stir-fry the onion garlic, and cayenne for 2 minutes or until light golden brown.Add the beans, salt pork, Portuguese sausage,smoked Polish sausage, ham hocks, corned beef, pork spareribs, salt, black pepper, bay leaves, halved-orange and water. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed to ensure that the beans are completely covered while cooking. Serve with sliced oranges and white rice.

Written By: nondiva234 on 12/13/07 at 1:03 am

That's really cool! You must be talking about pão de queijo,we eat that all the time here. And Feijoada is like Brazil's national food.
Here's the recipe:

Feijoada (for 8 to 10 ppl)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large yellow onion,chopped
4 cloves garlic,crushed
1 red cayenne pepper,chopped
4 cups dried black beans,soaked overnight, drained
1 lb. salt pork,boiled for 5 minutes, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 lbs. Portuguese sausage (linguiça) or Italian sausage
1 lb. smoked Polish sausage, cut into 2-inch lengths
1 lb. smoked lean ham hocks
2 lbs. corned beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 lb. pork spareribs, cut small pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
4 bay leaves
1 fresh orange, washed, cut in half
2 quarts water
6 oranges, peeled, sliced
Heat the oil in a large,heavy,deep pot and stir-fry the onion garlic, and cayenne for 2 minutes or until light golden brown.Add the beans, salt pork, Portuguese sausage,smoked Polish sausage, ham hocks, corned beef, pork spareribs, salt, black pepper, bay leaves, halved-orange and water. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed to ensure that the beans are completely covered while cooking. Serve with sliced oranges and white rice.

Yeah, I think it's pão de queijo. Really yummy! I don't have the recipe for the previous stated, but I do for Bolinhos de Chuva. Got it from a site, and I tried it once, and it was really delicious!

3 Eggs  1 teaspoon Baking powder 
3 cups Flour  1/2 cup Milk 
5 tablespoons Sugar  Vegetable oil for frying
1 pinch Salt  Cinnamon sugar 

Instructions for Rain Donuts (bolinho De Chuva)
1. Beat the eggs, add sugar, milk, salt, and mix it well.
2. Then add the flour, and the baking powder last.
3. To fry the dunuts, use a 1/2 tbsp of dough, drop it in a pan with heated oil (enough to cover the whole donut) and fry it for about a minute ( or until it looks golden brown) on medium low heat.
4. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/17/07 at 8:50 am

^that's a good one :)

Ok,since it's Christmas time,here's a turkey recipe we eat on Christmas Eve here.

The turkey:
This recipe serves 8 people with plenty of leftovers.You will need to marinate it for at least 24 hours before you start preparing it for roasting.For the marinade you will need.
1 bottle of champagne
2 large onions, sliced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp of a good quality mustard
1/2 cup of vinegar
1 cup of a good quality olive oil
2 large bay leaves
juice of one lime
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of chopped scallions
1/2 cup of chopped parsley
salt and black pepper to taste
8-10 strips of bacon to decorate turkey for roasting
Rub the turkey inside and out with a paste made with the sal,garlic,mustard,pepper and Worcestershire sauce.Place the turkey in a non-reactive pan or very large pyrex,and add olive oil,vinegar,lime juice,champagne and water.Add bay leaves,sliced onions,scallions and parsley. Cover loosely with a large piece of plastic and leave in refrigerator for 24 hours,periodically dousing turkey with the liquid.

The dressing:
Besides the giblets and farinha de mandioca, you will need:
1 can of peaches in light syrup
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 lb of pitted prunes, chopped into small pieces
1/4 lb of seedless raisins
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp of chopped scallions
1 Tbsp of chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
4 Tbsp of butter
Cook the giblets well in water,with salt,black pepper and a bay leave.Remove from liquid.Chop into small pieces and reserve. Remove peaches from liquid and drain well for a few minutes.Chop into small pieces.
In a large frying pan or saucepan,saute onions in butter until golden brown,add chopped giblets and raisins,stir well,add peaches and prunes.Add farinha de mandioca, enough to form a wet farofa.Add salt and pepper,chopped eggs, callions and parsley. Remove from heat and reserve.

Preparing the turkey
Remove turkey from marinade and rub it well inside and out with butter or tub margarine,fill with dressing and close opening well.Reserve marinade for basting.Reserve leftover dressing.Place turkey on roasting pan.Crisscross bacon strips on top of breast for decoration.Pour some of the marinade over the turkey.Cover turkey with aluminum foil and roast it at 325°F basting it at regular intervals with the remaining marinade.Turkey is done when a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 185°F.About 20 minutes before it's ready,remove foil and let it become a golden color.

It's ready...now you need to garnish it!
For the garnish:
1 can of peaches, halved, in light syrup, well drained
1/2 lb of pitted prunes
Serve white meats surrounded by peaches and prunes and dark meats on a separate tray with the dressing.Serve with white rice.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/07 at 2:16 pm

^that's a good one :)

Ok,since it's Christmas time,here's a turkey recipe we eat on Christmas Eve here.

The turkey:
This recipe serves 8 people with plenty of leftovers.You will need to marinate it for at least 24 hours before you start preparing it for roasting.For the marinade you will need.
1 bottle of champagne
2 large onions, sliced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp of a good quality mustard
1/2 cup of vinegar
1 cup of a good quality olive oil
2 large bay leaves
juice of one lime
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of chopped scallions
1/2 cup of chopped parsley
salt and black pepper to taste
8-10 strips of bacon to decorate turkey for roasting
Rub the turkey inside and out with a paste made with the sal,garlic,mustard,pepper and Worcestershire sauce.Place the turkey in a non-reactive pan or very large pyrex,and add olive oil,vinegar,lime juice,champagne and water.Add bay leaves,sliced onions,scallions and parsley. Cover loosely with a large piece of plastic and leave in refrigerator for 24 hours,periodically dousing turkey with the liquid.

The dressing:
Besides the giblets and farinha de mandioca, you will need:
1 can of peaches in light syrup
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 lb of pitted prunes, chopped into small pieces
1/4 lb of seedless raisins
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp of chopped scallions
1 Tbsp of chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
4 Tbsp of butter
Cook the giblets well in water,with salt,black pepper and a bay leave.Remove from liquid.Chop into small pieces and reserve. Remove peaches from liquid and drain well for a few minutes.Chop into small pieces.
In a large frying pan or saucepan,saute onions in butter until golden brown,add chopped giblets and raisins,stir well,add peaches and prunes.Add farinha de mandioca, enough to form a wet farofa.Add salt and pepper,chopped eggs, callions and parsley. Remove from heat and reserve.

Preparing the turkey
Remove turkey from marinade and rub it well inside and out with butter or tub margarine,fill with dressing and close opening well.Reserve marinade for basting.Reserve leftover dressing.Place turkey on roasting pan.Crisscross bacon strips on top of breast for decoration.Pour some of the marinade over the turkey.Cover turkey with aluminum foil and roast it at 325°F basting it at regular intervals with the remaining marinade.Turkey is done when a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 185°F.About 20 minutes before it's ready,remove foil and let it become a golden color.

It's ready...now you need to garnish it!
For the garnish:
1 can of peaches, halved, in light syrup, well drained
1/2 lb of pitted prunes
Serve white meats surrounded by peaches and prunes and dark meats on a separate tray with the dressing.Serve with white rice.

What time on Christmas Eve should we be at your place?  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/19/07 at 6:13 pm

What time on Christmas Eve should we be at your place?  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Come around 9pm,k? That way you and Carlos can spend all day at the beach and be really famished by then,i like people who really eat :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/19/07 at 6:19 pm

Come around 9pm,k? That way you and Carlos can spend all day at the beach and be really famished by then,i like people who really eat :)

You should include me in the Guest List, as I'm known to be quite the "trencher".
Being an epicurean, I really enjoy fine food and drink.  ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/20/07 at 6:05 am

You should include me in the Guest List, as I'm known to be quite the "trencher".
Being an epicurean, I really enjoy fine food and drink.  ;D

Ok, but if you bring your wife maybe is better to let her know that my house is full of hot women already,i wouldn't want her to feel bad because no one was hitting on her,alright?

And now something to drink...

Caipirinha of Tangerine
1/2 very sweet tangerine
2 ounces of cachaça
Sugar to taste
Ice cubes

Peel the tangerine and put it in the glass. Sprinkle with the sugar and crush the pieces with a pestle.Add the cachaça and stir to mix.Add the ice and stir again.
If you can't find cachaça where you live,use a good vodka.The drink will then be called caipiroshka.No vodka? Use white rum and you will have a caipiríssima. But it won't taste the same :P

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/20/07 at 1:27 pm

Caipirinha of Tangerine
1/2 very sweet tangerine
2 ounces of cachaça
Sugar to taste
Ice cubes

Peel the tangerine and put it in the glass. Sprinkle with the sugar and crush the pieces with a pestle.Add the cachaça and stir to mix.Add the ice and stir again.
If you can't find cachaça where you live,use a good vodka.The drink will then be called caipiroshka.No vodka? Use white rum and you will have a caipiríssima. But it won't taste the same :P

I have heard of "caipiroshka".

I LOVE tangerine-based things, almost as much as the taste of Mandarin oranges.
Therefore, this drink would be right in my line.

http://sp1.mm-a4.yimg.com/image/2967188879

Tchim-tchim! Saude!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/20/07 at 1:36 pm

Don't have to worry about that. I can really pack it away-in fact, I eat more than Carlos.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/02/08 at 2:45 pm

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless there is important new information to be added or updated, start a new topic instead

It is important to share more brazilian cuisine, so deal :P

Brazilian-Style Beef Strogonoff

This is a brazilian favorite perfect when served with white rice,potato sticks and a green salad.

SERVES 5 -6
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter (for filet mignon)
2 tablespoons butter (for mushrooms)
2 lbs filet mignon or beef tenderloin steaks, cut into small cubes and seasoned with salt and black pepper to taste
1 onion, medium-sized and chopped
1/2 lb mushroom, slivered
5 tablespoons soy sauce
1 fluid ounce cognac
12 ounces table cream or heavy cream (the Nestle table cream is preferred for this recipe and it can be found in the international isle at)
5 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons mustard
1 tablespoon flour
12 ounces milk

Directions
Season filet mignon with salt and pepper to taste. In a medium pan, sauté seasoned filet mignon in high heat with butter. Reserve.

In a bigger pan, brown onion with butter and then add the mushrooms and the reserved steak. Let it cook for about 5 minutes.

Add the soy sauce and the cognac (heated), and singe it.

In a bowl, mix the table cream, ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper to taste and the flour dissolved in milk, and add this mixture to the steak and mushrooms and let it cook for 5-8 more minutes in medium heat until the sauce incorporates and thickens.

Turn off heat and serve the strogonoff with potato sticks, white rice and a nice salad.

TIPS:
Beef: let the steak rest about 1-2 hours, out of the fridge before preparing the dish. The beef has to sauté and not cook, so it is best to brown it in high heat and don't let it release too much juice in the pan, preserving its color, moisture and flavor.
Heating up the cognac: Get a coffee cup half full of hot water and set a snifter across the top. It will heat it perfectly. Heating it in a microwave (no more than 5 seconds), open flame or steam should all produce the same end result.
If you use the fresh heavy cream, let the sauce cook for a little more to thicken.
You may substitute steak for chicken breast, shrimp, cod fish, and sliced tuna.

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/03/08 at 12:12 pm

Today is a good day for...HOT DOGS with a brazilian twist

For each package of hot dogs you'll need:

2 medium onions, sliced thin

1 large green pepper, sliced thin

3 large tomatoes, seeded and cut in big chunks

2 Tbsp of the best olive oil you can find

salt and pepper to taste

1 package of hot dog buns or French bread rolls

Heat the olive oil and sauté the sliced onions and green pepper. Add chopped tomatoes and enough water to cover everything. Add salt and pepper. Simmer until you have a nice sauce, then add the hot dogs, Don't overcook, you want to be able to spoon the onions, green pepper and tomatoes over the hot dogs. Meanwhile heat the buns.

To serve: Place a hot dog inside each bun,spoon the sauce over it. Make sure everybody has a plate and some napkins 'cause sauce usually runs down your chin and fingers :D

Written By: Kryllith on 12/04/08 at 2:31 pm

I've not made any on my own, but down in Dallas there are a number of churrascarias. Our favorite is a place called Rafain www.rafain.com. In addition to the excellent meat fare (for those who've not been to one, churrascarias are typicall all-you-can-eat affairs where people bring you numerous different types of meat grilled on skewers and cut off pieces for you as you like), they also have an awesome salad bar.

Written By: Tia on 01/10/09 at 3:09 pm

salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil and sauté the sliced onions and green pepper. Add chopped tomatoes and enough water to cover everything. Add salt and pepper. Simmer until you have a nice sauce, then add the hot dogs, Don't overcook, you want to be able to spoon the onions, green pepper and tomatoes over the hot dogs. Meanwhile heat the buns.

To serve: Place a hot dog inside each bun,spoon the sauce over it. Make sure everybody has a plate and some napkins 'cause sauce usually runs down your chin and fingers :D

i just made -- well, not exactly this, i adapted some -- but damn. delicious. you get that onion/pepper broth soakin' up into the dawg, that's tasty. 8)

took me forever, though. i messed up and added too much water, i think, so i had to cook it off before i mixed it up with the chili for leftovers.

Written By: Tia on 01/10/09 at 3:11 pm

i made one with chili, one without. to kinda have the one purely brazilian model, the one dog that was sorta tex-mex brazilian hybrid. they were both excellent, but next time i think i'll trust the recipe (and actually, mainly my own skilz) enough to make it as a straight-up dawg.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/12/09 at 10:24 am

i just made -- well, not exactly this, i adapted some -- but damn. delicious. you get that onion/pepper broth soakin' up into the dawg, that's tasty. 8)

took me forever, though. i messed up and added too much water, i think, so i had to cook it off before i mixed it up with the chili for leftovers.

Very cool. Next time invite me over so i can judge your brazilian/american cooking skills ;)

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/12/09 at 1:11 pm

Dizzy...

Do you think you'll be doing the Samba next week?

Is there some Italian-Brazilian foods that may be good to make?

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/12/09 at 4:27 pm

Dizzy...

Do you think you'll be doing the Samba next week?

Is there some Italian-Brazilian foods that may be good to make?

Oh the rehersals have been going on every week, i wanna go to at least one before Carnaval 8)

We do a lot of italian recipes,pastas and pizzas are huge here.

I love Steak Parmegian
Ingredients:
4 beefsteaks
1 clove of crushed garlic
finely chopped parsley
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 beaten egg and bread crumbs to coat
oil for pan-frying
4 slices of ham and 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
1 package of tomato puré

Preparation:
Pound the steaks with a meat pounder.
Put the steaks in a bowl. 
Season the steaks with garlic, parsley, salt and black ground pepper to taste. 
Cover the bowl with a plastic film. 
Put the bowl in the fridge for 1 hour or longer.
Deep the steaks in the egg and then coat them in the breadcrumbs.
Pan-fry the steaks in hot oil until golden brown. 
Put the steaks on a ovenproof baking dish. 
Put a slice of ham and a slice of mozzarella over each steak. 
Pour the tomato puré over the beefsteaks. 
Bake the beefsteaks in heated oven (350 F) for 20-30 minutes and serve. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/13/09 at 12:57 pm

Oh the rehersals have been going on every week, i wanna go to at least one before Carnaval 8)

We do a lot of italian recipes,pastas and pizzas are huge here.

I only ask about the Samba part because of what will happen in the States next Tuesday.

And many Italians who came to America didn't have a lot of food available so they stretch-out their pasta sauces by adding vegetables and meats that weren't available in their hometown like beef, ham, chicken, etc.

So many foods became Americanized and that's the Italian food that we're fed today.

Written By: Tia on 02/01/09 at 10:55 pm

salt and pepper to taste

took some brazilian doggies to the superbowl party today and they were a big hit!

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/31/10 at 12:00 pm

I made brigadeiros (I call them 'Chocolate Balls'), I made the recipe, but making them into a ball was a pain in the ass.

What did I do wrong?

Check for new replies or respond here...