inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite candies and desserts during each of the different holiday seasons.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/03/07 at 8:29 pm

Halloween has come and gone, which gave me the idea for this thread....

What are your favorite candies and/or desserts from Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines day and Easter?

For me

Halloween: Candy Corn, plus alot of other basic Halloween theme candy(like the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in a Pumpkin shape)

Thanksgiving: Jellied Cranberry Sauce, Pumpkin Pie & Sugar Cream Pie

Christmas: Thin Mints, Mint Chocolate M&Ms(Wish they would sell them year round) and Cherry Cordials

Valentines day: Cinnamon Jelly Hearts

Easter: Cadbury creme eggs & Cadbury mini eggs

Subject: Re: Favorite candies and desserts during each of the different holiday seasons.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/07 at 6:02 am

What are your favorite candies and/or desserts from Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines day and Easter?

For me

Halloween: Milky Way

Thanksgiving: Pumpkin Pie, Indian Pudding

Christmas: Apple Pie

Valentines day: Raspberry Jelly Hearts

Easter:  Jelly Beans and Candy Corn

Subject: Re: Favorite candies and desserts during each of the different holiday seasons.

Written By: Brigitte on 11/04/07 at 8:30 am

Halloween...Gummy Worms & roasted pumpkin seeds
Thanksgiving...Pumpkin Pie
Christmas...Liquor filled chocolates or hazelnut truffles
Valentine's...Strawberry's & Whipped cream & Champagne
Easter...A chocolate bunny
:P

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/07 at 1:00 pm

this is my favorite time of year because its the only time you can get Pumpkin pie at Costco... they have the best pumpkin pie!

My mom used to make this great chocolate pie, it consisted of melted hershey bars with almonds, mixed with cool whip and then topped with cool whip (actually I prefer the reddi whip topping- in a graham cracker crust! This pie always meant Christmas to me but she doesn't make it anymore. I found the recipe online- it was hard work for someone who hates the kitchen but probably not so much for those of you like it.

Written By: Brigitte on 11/04/07 at 3:37 pm

this is my favorite time of year because its the only time you can get Pumpkin pie at Costco... they have the best pumpkin pie!

My mom used to make this great chocolate pie, it consisted of melted hershey bars with almonds, mixed with cool whip and then topped with cool whip (actually I prefer the reddi whip topping- in a graham cracker crust! This pie always meant Christmas to me but she doesn't make it anymore. I found the recipe online- it was hard work for someone who hates the kitchen but probably not so much for those of you like it.

Mmmm, sounds good! Would you share the recipe?

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/07 at 4:24 pm

Mmmm, sounds good! Would you share the recipe?

Ingredients:
1 large Hershey bar with Almonds (or a package of six smaller bars)
8 oz. Cool Whip
1 Graham cracker crust

Directions:
Melt chocolate bars.  This can be done in either a double boiler or melted in a microwave in a GLASS bowl.  Cool the chocolate to room temperature and then mix with Cool Whip.  Pour into crust.  Chill and Enjoy! 

Irresistibly simple dessert that gets rave reviews!

(Dang I wish I'd thought to melt the chocolate in the microwave....that was the hardest part  :D )

Don't forget to top it when serving- not in advance... its REALLY rich tho so make your best judgment (I prefer Redi Whip to Cool Whip as a topping only) 

ENJOY!  :)

Written By: Brigitte on 11/04/07 at 5:13 pm

Ingredients:
1 large Hershey bar with Almonds (or a package of six smaller bars)
8 oz. Cool Whip
1 Graham cracker crust

Directions:
Melt chocolate bars.  This can be done in either a double boiler or melted in a microwave in a GLASS bowl.  Cool the chocolate to room temperature and then mix with Cool Whip.  Pour into crust.  Chill and Enjoy! 

Irresistibly simple dessert that gets rave reviews!

(Dang I wish I'd thought to melt the chocolate in the microwave....that was the hardest part  :D )

Don't forget to top it when serving- not in advance... its REALLY rich tho so make your best judgment (I prefer Redi Whip to Cool Whip as a topping only) 

ENJOY!   :)

Sounds easy enough, I'll give it a go! Thanks!

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/04/07 at 8:12 pm

Halloween-candy corn, any candy bar
Thanksgiving-pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, apple pie
Christmas-ginger snaps, sugar cookies shaped like Christmas trees, etc.
Valentine's Day-heart shaped chocolates
Easter-Cadbury eggs

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/04/07 at 8:48 pm

Halloween- not a big thing down here. so, nothing.
Thanksgiving- don't have that holiday here.
Christmas- chocolate truffles, ice-cream, pavlova, trifle
Valentine's Day- I'm single so, nothing. :(
Easter- Hollow chocolate eggs

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/07 at 11:05 pm

Every halloween, I eat some "Thrills", little purple pieces of gum that taste like soap

For Christmas, I usually eat Turtles, and most especially those After Eight mints.  I love those things

on Valentine's Cay, I eat those little cinnamon hearts

Written By: Step-chan on 11/05/07 at 4:25 pm

Halloween- not a big thing down here. so, nothing.
Thanksgiving- don't have that holiday here.
Christmas- chocolate truffles, ice-cream, pavlova, trifle
Valentine's Day- I'm single so, nothing. :(
Easter- Hollow chocolate eggs

I'm single too... I just buy the candy for myself.

Written By: sugar168 on 11/05/07 at 10:21 pm

Halloween: depends frozen kit-kats frozen reeses
Turkey Day: we eat pies, cherry, apple, mince, and pumpkin
Christmas:  we cook dozen upon dozen upon dozen of cookies, each family person has to make 3-5 different cookies then we have to double/triple  the recipe
New Years: Champaign
Valentines Day: Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Champaign
My Birthday: Chocolate Cake with Butter Cream Frosting -must be Butter Cream!!
i think thats all!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/07 at 10:41 pm

still haven't found my bit o honey but I got a bunch of Almond Joy for really cheap.... Forget about the day after thanksgiving and the day after Xmas... the day after Halloween is the best shopping day of the year  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/07/07 at 1:05 pm

Halloween - candy pumpkins

Thanksgiving - chocolate pie

Christmas - ribbon candy

Valentine's day - Sweet-tart hearts

Written By: ninny on 11/07/07 at 1:54 pm

Halloween-What ever candy my kids didn't want

Thanksgiving-Pies,Cherry or Chocolate Creme
Christmas-Homemade fudge& Christmas Cookies
Valentine's day- Whatever Chocolate my husband buys
Easter-White Chocolate Bunnies

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/24/09 at 11:39 am

I forgot to mention gingerbread house for Christmas.  I've recently discovered they can be made for other holidays.  I want nothing for Easter this year but this. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/24/09 at 12:29 pm

I forgot to mention gingerbread house for Christmas.  I've recently discovered they can be made for other holidays.  I want nothing for Easter this year but this. :)

That is so cute!  :)

This time of year I can't get enough of the Cadbury Creme Eggs.  YUM!

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/24/09 at 8:02 pm

Easter - Cadbury Creme Eggs, just about any other kind of chocolate/candy eggs.

Valentine's Day - candy hearts (especially the tart ones), chocolate hearts.

Christmas - Candy canes, all kinds of cookies and pies.

Thanksgiving - Pies galore!  :D

Halloween - Milky Way, Snickers, and Tootsie Roll Pops. Actually, I'll eat most any kind of candy during this time of year.

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/25/09 at 7:20 am

Easter - I LOVE REESE's PEanut Butter Eggs (but I have given them up for lent for the past 18 years - memory still haunts me :-[); But sweet tart Jelly beans - and sweet tart eggs,chicks and bunnies
Christmas - Any candy will do - I ususally have a bowl of Peanut MM's around though (and it is a Christmas bowl - so this is the only time
Halloween - Sweet tarts again, and nerds
Valentines - Sweet tart hearts

Yep - I love a sweet tart (or anything made by willy wonka - as long as it is not the banana flavored one 8-P)

Written By: Fairee07 on 04/09/09 at 9:15 pm

Valentines----Hershey kisses, pink frosted cupcakes, chocolate covered cherries

Easter---Laura Secord Cream egg. Second choice: Cadbury cream egg

Thanksgiving---pumpkin pie with whip cream

Halloween---rockets (those fruity flavoured circles)

Christmas---mint nanaimo bars, Terry's chocolate orange, chocolate marshmallow rolls (especially with fruit-flavoured marshmallows), and chocolate covered cherries----yes I love cherries

Written By: Step-chan on 04/09/09 at 10:41 pm

I've never heard of Laura Secord Creme eggs before.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/14 at 2:08 pm

Pumpkin Pie with whipped cream when Thanksgiving arrives. :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/09/14 at 3:16 pm

Thanksgiving desserts: Pumpkin pies, Apple pies, Chocolate mousse pies.
Christmas desserts: Holiday sugar cookies, Assorted cookies, and we also have sweet raisin and coconut rice.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/14 at 2:43 pm

Thanksgiving desserts: Pumpkin pies, Apple pies, Chocolate mousse pies.
Christmas desserts: Holiday sugar cookies, Assorted cookies, and we also have sweet raisin and coconut rice.

I feel hungry just talking about them.  :P

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/10/14 at 6:35 pm

Not really a dessert, but I'm obsessed with apple cider. Perfect for Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.

Written By: nally on 11/10/14 at 6:48 pm

Not really a dessert, but I'm obsessed with apple cider. Perfect for Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.

Me too. I love apple cider. O0

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/10/14 at 7:11 pm

I feel hungry just talking about them.  :P

Lol. I'm guessing you don't like the Coconut rice, right Howard?

Written By: nally on 11/10/14 at 10:48 pm

I know that for Valentines Day, my favorite candies are the heart-shaped chocolates from See's Candy. I particularly enjoy handing them out. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/11/14 at 2:48 pm

apple cider is good especially when it's warm.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/14 at 2:49 pm

Lol. I'm guessing you don't like the Coconut rice, right Howard?

Yes I love Coconut Rice Pudding.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/14 at 2:51 pm

http://thelocavoresdilemma.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_0372.jpg

Christmas Pie

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/11/14 at 3:47 pm

Pumpkin pie squares!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/gmi-digital-library/78bc241c-994a-4a3e-9769-e9cc517494d1.jpg

Written By: meesa on 11/11/14 at 4:12 pm

This thread is making me hungry!

for this season I love pumpkin and banana bread.
And a leeeeeetle bit of pumpkin pie with a whole lot of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/funny-cake-whip-cream.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/12/14 at 2:56 pm

Pumpkin pie squares!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/gmi-digital-library/78bc241c-994a-4a3e-9769-e9cc517494d1.jpg

Damn I wish I could eat the screen.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/12/14 at 2:57 pm

This thread is making me hungry!

for this season I love pumpkin and banana bread.
And a leeeeeetle bit of pumpkin pie with a whole lot of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/funny-cake-whip-cream.jpg

Now that's a delicious way to end a Thanksgiving meal. :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/14/14 at 10:02 am

Damn I wish I could eat the screen.  ;D

They do look delicious don't they! ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/14/14 at 12:42 pm

They do look delicious don't they! ;D

It would be nice if it was right here instead of me staring at it on a screen.  :P

Written By: Howard on 11/14/14 at 12:44 pm

http://www.saraleefoodservice.com/Images/Products/Romance/09261_Enlarge.jpg

Apple Pie after the meal.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/15/14 at 11:30 am

We always have this on Thanksgiving, Chocolate Mousse Pie.

https://www.meals.com/imagesrecipes/29755lrg.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/14 at 12:01 pm

-Hersheys-doesn't matter the time of year. I always hand it out at Halloween.
-Terry's Chocolate Orange. Can only find it around Christmas time so I stock up.
-Pumpkin pie. I do like to have a little pumpkin pie with my whipped cream.  ;)
-Apple pie.
-Almond cookies that my father-in-law used to make but then my sister-in-law has taken over the tradition. Actually, my youngest step-daughter did it one year. He used to make a whole bunch of cookies but when SIL took it over, she realized that no one really cared too much for any of the other cookies except the almond ones so that is the only one she makes. And everyone is just fine with that.
-My grandmother's sugar cookies. Haven't made those in YEARS!

Drinks:
-Apple cider
-Egg nog (without liquor-I just prefer it straight).
-CoCito which is basically Puerto Rican egg nog-and THAT I like with liquor.
-Mimosa but you really don't need a holiday for that.  ;)

Cat 

Written By: Howard on 11/15/14 at 6:06 pm

We always have this on Thanksgiving, Chocolate Mousse Pie.

https://www.meals.com/imagesrecipes/29755lrg.jpg

I feel like having a piece.  :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/16/14 at 6:37 pm

Holiday tarts

http://www.delish.com/cm/delish/images/G7/pumpkin-tarts-cranberries-400.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/17/14 at 1:43 pm

http://blog.nativefoods.com/.a/6a0112796f38d028a401675fa3c5f4970b-pi

I know this is not everyone's favorite but I like fruitcake.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/18/14 at 11:59 am

http://blog.nativefoods.com/.a/6a0112796f38d028a401675fa3c5f4970b-pi

I know this is not everyone's favorite but I like fruitcake.

You are not the only one. I like it, too. Well, some fruitcake. I had a history professor who used to have a lot of get-togethers with students. One time he brought in a fruitcake that he made. It looked real scary that I didn't even attempt to try it-but some one else did. I think you needed a chainsaw to cut the thing.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Of course there is a rumor that there is only ONE fruitcake that keeps going around the world.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/18/14 at 1:38 pm

http://www.grandlifehotels.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Gingerbread-Houses7.jpg?9d7bd4

Pathmark sells these for $15.99 but I just like to dis-assemble it and eat the house.  :D

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/19/14 at 5:27 pm

http://www.grandlifehotels.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Gingerbread-Houses7.jpg?9d7bd4

Pathmark sells these for $15.99 but I just like to dis-assemble it and eat the house.  :D

It looks so good! Lol.

Written By: meesa on 11/19/14 at 5:56 pm

You are not the only one. I like it, too. Well, some fruitcake. I had a history professor who used to have a lot of get-togethers with students. One time he brought in a fruitcake that he made. It looked real scary that I didn't even attempt to try it-but some one else did. I think you needed a chainsaw to cut the thing.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Of course there is a rumor that there is only ONE fruitcake that keeps going around the world.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I have heard that as well but I think there are two! One is round and the other is rectangular.  ;D

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/20/14 at 12:09 pm

Elegant snow balls. It is actually red velvet cake.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ziilq0CwRvU/UNKTSlRWY6I/AAAAAAAAdVM/NSLDWM9qp1c/s1600/desserts+justhj.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/20/14 at 3:15 pm

It looks so good! Lol.

I'm hungry just looking at that.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/14 at 3:15 pm

I have heard that as well but I think there are two! One is round and the other is rectangular.  ;D

Pathmark sells the rectangular one for $11.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/14 at 3:16 pm

Elegant snow balls. It is actually red velvet cake.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ziilq0CwRvU/UNKTSlRWY6I/AAAAAAAAdVM/NSLDWM9qp1c/s1600/desserts+justhj.jpg

yummy! :)

Written By: karen on 11/25/14 at 11:09 am

You guys are missing out by not trying a traditional recipe fruit Christmas cake.  Not those horrid brick most stores sell.  I wish I could bake some and mail them to you all.

Check for new replies or respond here...