inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Punishing Foods

Written By: Red Ant on 11/30/07 at 9:32 pm

I ordered a pizza tonight with pepperoni, pineapple and jalapenos. The guy on the other end of the phone was like "whoa!". I have to admit that this combination, while delicious, can occasionally cause severe gastric distress. Same with buffalo wings with the "three mile island" sauce.

Sushi with fresh wasabi - if you ever need to clear out your sinuses, this stuff will cut through anything. Wasabi is not that hot on the tongue or lips, but after a few seconds you might think you've inhaled a lit blowtorch.

Szechuan Beef - It's hard to get really good Szechuan beef around here anymore. I love the stuff, despite the fact two bites in my eyes were tearing and the 20oz glass of water on the table was empty.

BBQ Ribs - I sooo love BBQ ribs. I sooo don't love what happens hours later....

Are there any foods you love to eat that don't agree with you, or are an ordeal to eat?

Ant

Subject: Re: Punishing Foods

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/30/07 at 9:42 pm

anything with a lot of tomato sauce....I have a stomach ulcer and it makes it act up.

Also..I think I am a bit lactose intolerant...because when I drink milk or eat cheese...I usually get sick. :-\\

Written By: Jessica on 11/30/07 at 10:15 pm

Quirk's Buffalo chicken dip. :D

Oh man, that's sounds good....

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/30/07 at 10:21 pm

Quirk's Buffalo chicken dip. :D

Oh man, that's sounds good....

;D ;D ;D

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/07 at 11:42 pm

Anything with spices sends a big fireball gas right outta my ass.  But it doesn't stop me.  The hotter my food is, the more I love it!

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/01/07 at 12:48 am

Punishing foods? Oh man, too easy and too many things....

McDonalds, with the exception of fries, anything from Mickey D's will make my insides shudder. Burgers, chicken nuggets, all of it, about a half hour later, my lower regions are singing tunes of displeasure.

Taco Hell (bell), god there must be human Draino in the mix cause this stuff always makes a strong display after eating. Something about Taco Bell being the only place open at 2am and your stomach already full of alcohol seems to doom the mixture of soy-meat and questionable cheese substitute products to a prompt departure from my bowels.

Salsa, I LOVE salsa, hot, fresh and did I mention HOT? But my lower intestine doesn't like it so much so it never manages to stay around too long, if you know what I mean. First in, first out.

Baloney, something about this "meat", already processed to within a inch of its former life that makes my internals work overtime. Its as if the processing of the meat was already done by the factory and so my stomach doesn't know what to do with it, so its rejected. I have to admit the results are enough natural gas that could power all of western civilization for a week.

Yes, disgusting, but, you asked....

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/01/07 at 12:53 pm

I pretty much have an 'iron stomach', so there aren't many foods that bother me...

However, last week my family went out for Thai food, and without realizing, I ate a chili pepper that was in a soup...

My insides were fine, but boy! did it make my eyes water and throat burn!  :o 

Written By: Brigitte on 12/01/07 at 1:25 pm

Proccessed cheese and corn! Those 2 are the worst for me.

Written By: sugar168 on 12/01/07 at 1:30 pm

wow so many...

buffalo wings-simply amazing and yet in an hour the pain is unbearable

cheese burgers- love them, they hate me...my tummy hurts really bad

any red meat...kills my tumy

any thing fried right in right out

any thing from arbys makes me throw up

taco hell i get super sick

pizza hut- love it but it doesn't say in for more then 10 min

any spicy stuff-ouch

most fish products yucky

i never had problems then i had emergency surgery on my intestines and bowl and bam major problems after that...now most food i love kills me...its sad

Written By: Red Ant on 12/01/07 at 5:47 pm

*note to self: jalapenos are not good for chapped lips*

any thing from arbys makes me throw up

Ditto. Most things that Arby's serves looks like they were already vomited.

Like Quirk, milk gets me sometimes. I can be fine with a bowl of cereal or creating a new bio-chemical weapon from a few drops of it in coffee.

I forgot Tuna Fish. Not that it bothers me, but an hour later I strangely.... find myself alone, contemplating how sensitive electronics are still functioning.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 12/01/07 at 5:55 pm

Anything with spices sends a big fireball gas right outta my ass.  But it doesn't stop me.  The hotter my food is, the more I love it!

Same with me(to a lesser extent, I usually have to eat an obscene amount of it)...

Written By: ADH13 on 12/01/07 at 8:56 pm

I'm a pretty picky eater, and luckily the foods I like don't mess with my stomach... but I do have to be careful sometimes because there are things that make me gag and/or vomit.

I like to eat a bowl of cereal but I have to eat it fast because once it gets soggy, it will make me gag.    Same with bacon, I love it but only the crispy part... if I bite into a rubbery piece of fat, it's over... so I usually have to take off the ends before I eat it... and chicken, ya know that nerve or vein or whatever it is in the drumstick?  I have been known to gag when I accidentally bit into that also....

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/01/07 at 9:03 pm

I don't really like curry much, just because it's a weird sort of hot to me.  I like things that are medium spicy.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/01/07 at 9:04 pm

I'm a pretty picky eater, and luckily the foods I like don't mess with my stomach... but I do have to be careful sometimes because there are things that make me gag and/or vomit.

I like to eat a bowl of cereal but I have to eat it fast because once it gets soggy, it will make me gag.    Same with bacon, I love it but only the crispy part... if I bite into a rubbery piece of fat, it's over... so I usually have to take off the ends before I eat it... and chicken, ya know that nerve or vein or whatever it is in the drumstick?  I have been known to gag when I accidentally bit into that also....

Lemme guess: raw oysters also make you gag?

Ant

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/01/07 at 9:05 pm

I have to be careful when eating eggs. If I eat too much it will make me sick.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/01/07 at 9:06 pm

Lemme guess: raw oysters also make you gag?

Ant

Umm, I've never tried them... but I can almost guarantee that they would!!

Written By: Red Ant on 12/01/07 at 9:14 pm

Umm, I've never tried them... but I can almost guarantee that they would!!

Ah. Well, in that case, I recommend you avoid anything from Hooters, in a shot glass, that resembles a Bloody Mary. You will be in for an unpleasant surprise.

So would it be fair to say that gristly (sp?) foods make you gag? I know someone who is the same way: she LOVES bacon but will dry heave if she gets a piece semi-cooked.

Ant

Written By: ADH13 on 12/01/07 at 9:17 pm

Ah. Well, in that case, I recommend you avoid anything from Hooters, in a shot glass, that resembles a Bloody Mary. You will be in for an unpleasant surprise.

So would it be fair to say that gristly (sp?) foods make you gag? I know someone who is the same way: she LOVES bacon but will dry heave if she gets a piece semi-cooked.

Ant

It's strange because some things that are supposed to be kind of soggy (like hot oatmeal, mashed potatoes) are fine... but others make me gag... not sure what the difference is...

Written By: Red Ant on 12/01/07 at 9:22 pm

It's strange because some things that are supposed to be kind of soggy (like hot oatmeal, mashed potatoes) are fine... but others make me gag... not sure what the difference is...

Maybe it's what you are expecting? The consistency of the food?

No one would expect crunchy mashed potatoes or ice cream... OTOH, biting into a strip bacon that is more like a strip of rubber is really gross.

I like steaks medium rare but would absolutely hurl if chicken was served that way.

Ant

Written By: ADH13 on 12/01/07 at 9:26 pm

Maybe it's what you are expecting? The consistency of the food?

No one would expect crunchy mashed potatoes or ice cream... OTOH, biting into a strip bacon that is more like a strip of rubber is really gross.

I like steaks medium rare but would absolutely hurl if chicken was served that way.

Ant

Could be the surprise factor... cause yeah biting into a strip of rubbery bacon is gross but an equally rubbery fruit roll-up isn't so bad...

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/01/07 at 11:38 pm

Ant

I gagged just reading that.

The reason I don't hamburger meat or sausage are the little pieces of hard stuff.  8-P

Ice cream bothers me. 
Popcorn is another bad one.  Love it but it doesn't love me.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/02/07 at 4:47 pm

Pineapple is yummy, but it makes me cut- major "pull my finger" action.

I also have problems with Pork Carnitas. The last time I ate one, it reminded me of when I was so bloated with gas, it ended up in a 30 minute fart. (No joke)

Written By: La Roche on 12/03/07 at 11:17 pm

Mushrooms quite literally make me gag, as soon as I bite in to them.

I used to know a guy that would just look at baked beans and be sick.

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/03/07 at 11:19 pm

That sounds like my first husband.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/04/07 at 7:13 pm

I used to know a guy that would just look at baked beans and be sick.

I won't even eat mushrooms myself. Baked beans are a different story, I have no problem eating them.

Anytime I see stuff like sandwich spread(as well as tuna salad, ham salad, egg salad, etc.), I start to feel alittle sick. If I smell it, I feel even more nascous.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/05/07 at 9:21 pm

Could be the surprise factor... cause yeah biting into a strip of rubbery bacon is gross but an equally rubbery fruit roll-up isn't so bad...

True.

Not a punishing food, but I can never eat Fruit Loops again after seeing them float in a wastewater stream.

Ant

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/05/07 at 9:38 pm

Brussels Sprouts.....*ack!*

8-P http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/scene.gif

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/06/07 at 2:09 pm

I love mushrooms...either raw (in a salad) or sauteed with butter, garlic and fresh parsley!  Yum!  :D

Written By: Paul on 12/06/07 at 2:59 pm

Shish kebabs (marinated lamb type) will give me guaranteed heartburn within minutes...

As will raw onion...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/06/07 at 3:24 pm

Shish kebabs (marinated lamb type) will give me guaranteed heartburn within minutes...

As will raw onion...

I can handle any type of raw onion as long as it's minced or in very thin slices...

My husband, however, gets the heartburn thing just like you!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/11/07 at 4:18 pm

I have to watch out for onions and heavy loads of garlic (causes inside gastric problems)

If I eat sage, my tongue swells and lips swell.

Also, eating "No Sugar" products with the ingredient maltitol really kills me (It is known to act as a laxative.)

Written By: Step-chan on 12/11/07 at 7:31 pm

I have to watch out for onions and heavy loads of garlic (causes inside gastric problems)

If I eat sage, my tongue swells and lips swell.

Also, eating "No Sugar" products with the ingredient maltitol really kills me (It is known to act as a laxative.)

I've made a big mistake of eating a whole tin of those Ice Breaker Sours(which are sugar free and have matitol), it does have a laxative affect and unfortunately... it's not a good laxative feeling. 8-P :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/11/07 at 7:35 pm

I've made a big mistake of eating a whole tin of those Ice Breaker Sours(which are sugar free and have matitol), it does have a laxative affect and unfortunately... it's not a good laxative feeling. 8-P :P

Yes, same here. I ate a bunch of candies before going out to dinner with a friend, and it hit me that night and lasted a few days! The pain was terrible. I'll take regular granulated sugar anyday (even though these "No sugar" products are good for diabetics).

Written By: Step-chan on 12/11/07 at 8:44 pm

Yes, same here. I ate a bunch of candies before going out to dinner with a friend, and it hit me that night and lasted a few days! The pain was terrible. I'll take regular granulated sugar anyday (even though these "No sugar" products are good for diabetics).

Well, as long as they don't eat a whole tin like I did...

I remember one time eating them on the bus and I dropped by the library to use the internet... Had to go to the bathroom while I was there... It lasted too long for me(it lasted until after I got home from paying the rent).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/12/07 at 1:28 am

Well, as long as they don't eat a whole tin like I did...

I remember one time eating them on the bus and I dropped by the library to use the internet... Had to go to the bathroom while I was there... It lasted too long for me(it lasted until after I got home from paying the rent).

I guess my stomach is more sensitive, because just a few candies got my stomach rolling. It was pure and utter pain!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/12/07 at 2:16 am

"No sugar tonight in my coffee...no sugar tonight in my tea!
No sugar to stand beside me...no sugar to run with me!"

Written By: Step-chan on 12/12/07 at 1:41 pm

I guess my stomach is more sensitive, because just a few candies got my stomach rolling. It was pure and utter pain!

Mine is more sensitive than it used to be(due to stress and alot of cayenne pepper), but it's still like a solid built tank when it comes to things that are rough on it... While I'll pay the price, it won't affect me for too long.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/12/07 at 1:54 pm

"No sugar tonight in my coffee...no sugar tonight in my tea!
No sugar to stand beside me...no sugar to run with me!"

;D  Good one!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/12/07 at 1:55 pm

Mine is more sensitive than it used to be(due to stress and alot of cayenne pepper), but it's still like a solid built tank when it comes to things that are rough on it... While I'll pay the price, it won't affect me for too long.

Mine is also more sensitive due to stress. Also, sometimes if I eat too much stuff, I notice my digestive system reacts by pushing all of it out as fast as possible. I know, sounds disgusting, but maybe this is why I'm able to keep a decent figure.  ;D

Written By: Midas on 12/12/07 at 5:08 pm

Punishing foods?  Hmmm...

I like to beat my meat...

...with a meat tenderizer!  For steak & stuff!  Pervs!   :D

Seriously though, I like spicy foods and all kinds of cheese and sometimes they don't like me. :P

Written By: Jessica on 12/12/07 at 5:12 pm

Punishing foods?  Hmmm...

I like to beat my meat...

Nah, you should've stopped right there. :D

Written By: Midas on 12/12/07 at 5:44 pm

Nah, you should've stopped right there. :D

You should punish your food later.  BAD CAURIFROWEL!

Written By: Step-chan on 12/12/07 at 7:42 pm

Mine is also more sensitive due to stress. Also, sometimes if I eat too much stuff, I notice my digestive system reacts by pushing all of it out as fast as possible. I know, sounds disgusting, but maybe this is why I'm able to keep a decent figure.  ;D

No problem with it being disgusting. ;)

I've went onto gross sites before(out of curiousity).

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/12/07 at 7:51 pm

I've discovered that chile verde has started getting me pretty bad.

Vegetarian beans.......if I eat these, the Military starts paying me for the Chemical Warfare Dept.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/12/07 at 7:56 pm

I've discovered that chile verde has started getting me pretty bad.

Vegetarian beans.......if I eat these, the Military starts paying me for the Chemical Warfare Dept.

Hmmmm, I think Vegetarian beans do the same thing to me. I'm a vegetarian, so I've come across similar pangs  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/27/09 at 6:30 pm

I can't eat Chinese food.  I also can't handle greasy foods.  Anything spicy I can not only handle but would prefer.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/27/09 at 8:04 pm

ICE CREAM >:(

Love Ice Cream - lactose intolerance does not allow it though - I either have to indulge and suffer the consequences (along with anyone else with in the room that I am in- ;D)  or else forgo the indulgence :\'(

Written By: mooster on 04/30/09 at 10:09 am

Eggs. I love eggs..but after a few hours = stomach cramps and the urgent need to go...  :P

Written By: Gis on 05/01/09 at 8:32 am

There are various foods i don't like. I'm not a fan of spicy food and rice makes me gag.

But red bell peppers.......hell yeah if I've eaten anything with them in, within a few minutes I am very ill, both ends.  :-\\

oh and cucumber and orange juice give me chronic indigestion

Check for new replies or respond here...