inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Happens To Your Body When You Drink a Coca-Cola?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/03/07 at 11:09 pm

http://nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/?p=140

8-P 8-P 8-P

Subject: Re: What Happens To Your Body When You Drink a Coca-Cola?

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/03/07 at 11:11 pm

Hey, What about Diet Coke?! Are we diabetics left out?!

Written By: La Roche on 12/03/07 at 11:15 pm

Hey, What about Diet Coke?!

I'm curious myself.

If anybody knows of a similar site detailing the effects of soda without sugar in it, let me know. I drink probably 6-8 cans a day but generally Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper.. I can't taste the difference.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/04/07 at 1:51 am

I recall in elementary school, maybe the 5th grade, our teacher wanted to demonstrate the ill effects of cola drinks and dropped a chunk of beef in the glass full of coke and I can't remember how long it took, but it started disolving the meat.  So what I learned from that was to drink soda after I eat to hasten my digestive system
drink up http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020pNBlVHEG4B.D2jzbkF/SIG=12l8aovo2/EXP=1196840909/**http%3A//www.thebestlinks.com/images/thumb/8/81/200px-Diet_Coke.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/04/07 at 1:54 am

I recall in elementary school, maybe the 5th grade, our teacher wanted to demonstrate the ill effects of cola drinks and dropped a chunk of beef in the glass full of coke and I can't remember how long it took, but it started disolving the meat.  So what I learned from that was to drink soda after I eat to hasten my digestive system
drink up http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020pNBlVHEG4B.D2jzbkF/SIG=12l8aovo2/EXP=1196840909/**http%3A//www.thebestlinks.com/images/thumb/8/81/200px-Diet_Coke.jpg

ya, I have heard that before too! 8-P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/04/07 at 2:27 am

ya, I have heard that before too! 8-P
so here it is 30 years later and I'm still hearing things about coke and I've been drinking it ever since but much less now. maybe 1-2 cans a day, except on poker nights, then i slam down about 4

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/04/07 at 2:31 am

so here it is 30 years later and I'm still hearing things about coke and I've been drinking it ever since but much less now. maybe 1-2 cans a day, except on poker nights, then i slam down about 4

so THAT explains it!! :D ;) ;D

Written By: Jessica on 12/04/07 at 9:54 am

I'll take my chances.

I drink TaB more than any other pop though. I wonder what the effects of that are.....

Written By: wildcard on 12/04/07 at 10:47 am

I'll take my chances too.  My soda intake is usually one a day.  When my mom was a girl she use to drink diet sodas.  She can't stomach the stuff they use for diet sodas now. 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/04/07 at 5:12 pm

I will drink Coke when my preferred is not available.

My preferred is RC Cola.

Written By: wildcard on 12/04/07 at 6:43 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rainote.gifRC, Coca Cola, Pepsi but you see there all just soda too me 

I drink all of them

Written By: Step-chan on 12/04/07 at 7:05 pm

I always knew that caffeine made you have to pee.

The type of sugar that they use in most colas(high fructose corn syrup), doesn't help either.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/04/07 at 7:29 pm

I drink soda probably 3-4 times a month. I mainly stopped because of the way it made my breath smell. I didn't like that smell - it also tasted like aluminum in my mouth.

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/07 at 10:26 pm

I'm not worried, but that's only because I haven't drank any kind of carbonated beverage in over 25 years :D

Written By: TigerMystic on 12/05/07 at 6:08 pm

I personally can't stand regular (non-diet) sodas--way too sweet for me!  I don't want or like the feeling of all that sugar in my bod.

Every once in a while, I'll nurse a Diet Coke.  I like that acidic bite every once in a while.  :)  But I can't drink much of it at all, or very often, because of the caffeine; I have a stress disorder, and my body does not tolerate caffeine well at all.

BTW, speaking of the acid in Coke/Diet Coke, those stories about Coke dissolving nails and teeth overnight are untrue.  The phosphoric and carbonic acids are not concentrated enough to dissolve those things that quickly.  Also, gastric (hydrochloric) acid is much stronger than the acids in soda pops. Read about it here (an awesome site for info about myths, email and internet hoaxes, etc.):

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/05/07 at 6:15 pm

I've drunken coke and other carbonated beverages all my life. Ain't no study like that is going to make me stop now.  :D

Written By: karen on 12/06/07 at 8:31 am

BTW, speaking of the acid in Coke/Diet Coke, those stories about Coke dissolving nails and teeth overnight are untrue.  The phosphoric and carbonic acids are not concentrated enough to dissolve those things that quickly.  Also, gastric (hydrochloric) acid is much stronger than the acids in soda pops. Read about it here (an awesome site for info about myths, email and internet hoaxes, etc.):

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

However drinking a lot of it has been shown to increase bone thinning (i.e. osteoporosis) over time.

Written By: Tia on 12/06/07 at 10:00 am

i find combining the coca-cola with massive quantities of alcohol helps to offset the stimulative effects.

Written By: Jessica on 12/06/07 at 10:04 am

i find combining the coca-cola with massive quantities of alcohol helps to offset the stimulative effects.

George Dickel No. 8 Whisky, which is sadly discontinued. :\'(

Written By: ninny on 12/06/07 at 11:48 am

I will drink Coke when my preferred is not available.

My preferred is RC Cola.

When I worked at Arby's we use to have RC Cola products,most of the customers complained that they wanted real pop,so they switched over to Pepsi,but they didn't realize that RC sold Loganberry,so they got mad when they could not get any

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/06/07 at 3:38 pm

Am I the only one who does not drink soda? I don't care too much for carbonation. The only soda that I will drink if I must is 7-Up, Sprite, or Ginger Ale and Tia is right-lots of alcohol in it helps.

Cat

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/06/07 at 3:53 pm

Soda is not something I drink very often as it gives me a stomach ache. Especially if I drink it to early in the day. I just love my coffee.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/06/07 at 11:12 pm

I personally can't stand regular (non-diet) sodas--way too sweet for me!  I don't want or like the feeling of all that sugar in my bod.

Karma for debunking an urban legend.

When I drink sodas, I go for the Acesulfame-potassium (aka Ace-K)-based diet variants; Coke Zero tastes close enough to Coke Classic (but more importantly, far away from Diet Coke).  Zero calories, but about half the taste of the real sugary thing.

The real sugary thing, I enjoy, but I don't burn enough calories per day to get away with drinking it regularly.  Where the sugar comes in at its most handy, however, is as the base for marinating pork.  Gotta have real sugar for that.  I've done spectactular ribs marinated in nothing more than spices, garlic, and instead of vinegar -- I used Coke Classic.  By the time the baking/steaming/braising part was done, the ribs were tender.  After pouring off the liquid, I slid the ribs under the broiler, and let the remaining sugar (well, HFCS these days, but it's close enough for barbecuing work) in the Coke do its magic. While the ribs were finishing their 5-10 minutes under the broiler, I had plenty of time add increasing concentrations of pre-blended habanero/garlic/chipotle into the separated braising liquid to yield a nice range of sauces/mops to finish the ribs after their broilertime was up.

Pardon me, I need another beer.  And another pig.  First pig done wore out, poor thing, there's nuthin' left but bones.

Written By: Gis on 12/07/07 at 6:22 am

I understand it is true that the concentrated syrup is great for blood stains!

I don't think I drink enough coke to worry about the side effects. I do prefer diet though and not the full fat stuff. By the way it does taste COMPLETELY different in the U.K. 

Written By: Tia on 12/07/07 at 6:34 am

i like...

http://www.cadburyschweppes.com/NR/rdonlyres/45B4E41A-3739-4D08-92BB-6832E518C125/0/YoohooChoc15_5Bot.jpg

yoohoo! it's sweet but not insanely so like coke, it doesn't have caffeine in it and no sacchariney weird fakiness. 8-P

plus it's choco to the max! and mixes quite well with whiskey. well, not really. well, actually i've never tried. but i think that would actually be quite disgusting. the trick is to get so drunk you dont care. "dude? is that everclear you're drinkin'? pour a sniff of that right into my glass of wholesome vitamin d milk if you'd be so kind!" *hic*

Written By: Red Ant on 12/08/07 at 12:30 am

So... I guess it's pointless to ask what happens to you when you drink Jaeger-bombs (Jaegermeister and Red Bull)?

Most likely an urban legend, but I have heard that at cola bottling plants the concrete, in places, has to be repaired every year due to the soda drip on it.

Cola does make a great meat tenderizer and marinade.

There's lots of things that look really bad to a machine for a person: smoking a cigarette is one of them (over time, the machines are right). Orgasms are another, but there is no way I'm giving them up!

RC Cola > Pepsi > Coke

George Dickel No. 8 Whisky, which is sadly discontinued. :\'(

Nooooo! Do they still make No. 12? Err, wait a sec: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Dickel

It's been a while since I drank GD: when I could afford it, I preffered Booker's anyway. At 120+ proof and 45$+ a bottle, it is indeed 'sippin' whisky. Blanton's was very good as well.

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 12/08/07 at 4:48 pm

So... I guess it's pointless to ask what happens to you when you drink Jaeger-bombs (Jaegermeister and Red Bull)?

Most likely an urban legend, but I have heard that at cola bottling plants the concrete, in places, has to be repaired every year due to the soda drip on it.

Cola does make a great meat tenderizer and marinade.

There's lots of things that look really bad to a machine for a person: smoking a cigarette is one of them (over time, the machines are right). Orgasms are another, but there is no way I'm giving them up!

RC Cola > Pepsi > Coke

Nooooo! Do they still make No. 12? Err, wait a sec: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Dickel

It's been a while since I drank GD: when I could afford it, I preffered Booker's anyway. At 120+ proof and 45$+ a bottle, it is indeed 'sippin' whisky. Blanton's was very good as well.

Ant

Coca cola is great to use when you're making carnitas.

And yes, George Dickel no. 8 is gone. I think you can buy it in limited quantities at the distillery, but no where else. No. 12 is still available. That makes me sad though because my friend got me hooked on GD and then they stopped making it. Best whisky I've ever had. It was so smooth.

I bought some Old GrandDad whiskey the other night. Man, that stuff is harsh!

Written By: Trimac20 on 12/09/07 at 5:59 am

I don't even like Cola anyway...I wonder if other soft drinks like lemonade are as bad, which I enjoy occasionally. But whatever other dietary deficiencies I have, I mainly drink water rather than any other drink.

Written By: Tia on 12/09/07 at 11:22 am

turns out yoohoo's just as sugary as anything else. i always forget to shake them, which maybe is why i find them less sweet -- i keep looking at the bottle when i'm done and it's loaded with leftover sugary powder. hot tip: dont shake it and it's drinkable!

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/11/07 at 1:50 pm

Am I the only one who does not drink soda? I don't care too much for carbonation. The only soda that I will drink if I must is 7-Up, Sprite, or Ginger Ale and Tia is right-lots of alcohol in it helps.

Cat
I'm with you, Cat.  I don't care for soda much at all and may only drink it with pizza.

Written By: Midas on 12/12/07 at 12:57 pm

I drink TaB more than any other pop though. I wonder what the effects of that are.....

Yuckiness.  :D ;D

I just drank a Coke Zero, which I like better than Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi even.  Although I've been drinking Diet Pepsi moreso than regular lately...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/12/07 at 7:52 pm

I just drink the soda for the sugar/caffiene boost. (and it goes down faster than a cup of hot coffee) ;D

Written By: laffytaffy on 12/17/07 at 7:59 am

I just drink the soda for the sugar/caffiene boost. (and it goes down faster than a cup of hot coffee) ;D

HMMM, SUGAR, CAFFEINE?  As a younger person you can probably get away with these things.
But, listen to us old folks  ;) you can obtain
caffeine through green tea, yummy? and it has many good effects, like anti-cancer and it even
helps clean the plaque off your teeth.

Think of your food as your medicine. 

Written By: laffytaffy on 12/17/07 at 6:32 pm

Cat

No, I don't drink any soda, but that doesn't mean I don't like it.  I did. Very much.  Jones Soda was quite tasty with the pure cane
sugar which is a much better sweetener than high fructose corn syrup. 

Written By: Howard on 09/01/13 at 4:05 pm

What happens to your body when you drink coffee?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/14/13 at 12:13 am

I burp and I get a sugar rush, it makes me sleepy actually, and then I come down off of the sugar and the caffine.  :P But it's better than the feelings I get when I drink diet anything.  :( Nutra Sweet, Splenda or anything else.  :P

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/14/13 at 12:43 pm

I drank  SO MUCH  Coke yesterday!  :D

Written By: Howard on 09/14/13 at 3:21 pm

I drank  SO MUCH  Coke yesterday!  :D

Did it make you go to the bathroom?

Written By: Howard on 09/14/13 at 3:23 pm

I burp and I get a sugar rush, it makes me sleepy actually, and then I come down off of the sugar and the caffine.  :P But it's better than the feelings I get when I drink diet anything.  :( Nutra Sweet, Splenda or anything else.  :P

I drink a lot soda and it makes me belch. ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/15/13 at 11:15 pm

What happens to your body when you drink coffee?

If I drink too much I tend to get a caffine high and I can't sleep.  In fact the last time I had too much caffine I was up most of the night dancing to the Spice Girls to work off my exess energy.  ;D LOL!

Written By: Howard on 09/16/13 at 6:49 am

If I drink too much I tend to get a caffine high and I can't sleep.  In fact the last time I had too much caffine I was up most of the night dancing to the Spice Girls to work off my exess energy.  ;D LOL!

Celeste, I've been drinking a lot of coffee and I admit it. When I have my morning shift 10-2, I have a cup before I head out the door, one when I get to work before I start with my donut then I may have another one at 12noon If I take a break or not. No wonder I'm so hyper lately like My mother says.  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/17/13 at 9:44 pm

Celeste, I've been drinking a lot of coffee and I admit it. When I have my morning shift 10-2, I have a cup before I head out the door, one when I get to work before I start with my donut then I may have another one at 12noon If I take a break or not. No wonder I'm so hyper lately like My mother says.  ;D

Howard, you don't want to see me when I'm on a caffine high.  My exess energy gets worked off for most of the night.  That's why I can't have anything with caffine in it after a certian time of the day. Usually the afternoon.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/13 at 7:37 am

Howard, you don't want to see me when I'm on a caffine high.  My exess energy gets worked off for most of the night.  That's why I can't have anything with caffine in it after a certian time of the day. Usually the afternoon.

What time do you have your caffeine? I have mine in the morning, sometimes after my lunch to keep me awake then one during my 4pm break.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/18/13 at 7:59 am

What time do you have your caffeine? I have mine in the morning, sometimes after my lunch to keep me awake then one during my 4pm break.

If I can get my coffee it's in the morning and before noon.  I can't have caffine too late in the afternoon otherwise it goes straight to my head.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/13 at 1:04 pm

If I can get my coffee it's in the morning and before noon.  I can't have caffine too late in the afternoon otherwise it goes straight to my head.

It makes you jittery?  ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/18/13 at 2:50 pm

It makes you jittery?  ???

Oh yeah.  I can't stop moving if I have too much.  :P

Written By: Howard on 09/19/13 at 6:47 am

Oh yeah.  I can't stop moving if I have too much.  :P

for me, it makes me piss.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/20/13 at 1:54 am

for me, it makes me piss.

That's too much information.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/20/13 at 3:40 pm

That's too much information.  :)

Sorry.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/20/13 at 7:21 pm

Sorry.

That's quite alright.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/13 at 10:00 pm

me be chinese me play joke me go pee-pee in your coke

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/21/13 at 1:17 am

me be chinese me play joke me go pee-pee in your coke

Me be chinese, me no dumb, me go pee pee in your rum.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/21/13 at 3:46 pm

Me be chinese, me no dumb, me go pee pee in your rum.  ;D

;D

Written By: Howard on 09/26/14 at 7:31 am

you go into a sugar buzz?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/26/14 at 12:48 pm

you go into a sugar buzz?

It's not just the sugar, it's the caffeine too.  It doesn't really matter what I drink.  If it has caffeine anything I get jittery and I can't sleep.

Check for new replies or respond here...