inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Canned Foods

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/07 at 12:19 am

We've all eaten canned food. Some of us still do. Which ones do you like. Which ones do you not like?  What kinds of canned foods do you have right now in your cupboard or pantry. I was looking in our pantry & was amazed at how many different types of canned foods we have. Which ones did you eat as a kid, but don't eat anymore?

I like Hormel Chili with beans & without beans, but the "without beans" is a more expensive, but it's good on hot dogs.
I like tuna, but I'm picky. I only like the solid white albacore made by Starkist or the Costco brand Kirkland. As a kid I used to eat canned tamales, there were 8 little ones per can, each wrapped in paper. I would not ever eat that again  8-P
I like some Campbells soups, & I like refried beans. When Julie was little she loved Spaghettio's, Franco American or Chef Boy Ar Dee. Now that she's an adult, she wants her spaghetti homemade.

Subject: Re: Canned Foods

Written By: laffytaffy on 12/21/07 at 6:42 am

We've all eaten canned food. Some of us still do. Which ones do you like. Which ones do you not like?  What kinds of canned foods do you have right now in your cupboard or pantry. I was looking in our pantry & was amazed at how many different types of canned foods we have. Which ones did you eat as a kid, but don't eat anymore?

I like Hormel Chili with beans & without beans, but the "without beans" is a more expensive, but it's good on hot dogs.
I like tuna, but I'm picky. I only like the solid white albacore made by Starkist or the Costco brand Kirkland. As a kid I used to eat canned tamales, there were 8 little ones per can, each wrapped in paper. I would not ever eat that again  8-P
I like some Campbells soups, & I like refried beans. When Julie was little she loved Spaghettio's, Franco American or Chef Boy Ar Dee. Now that she's an adult, she wants her spaghetti homemade.

Those canned tamales were much much better in my memory.  I LOVED THOSE THINGS.  Did they change the recipe? 
Eden Foods makes some great organic beans in cans--those black-eyed peas mixed up for about 2 seconds in the food processor with a TBS of shoyu, a bit of cumin fried 4 minutes on each side, with a dressing of barley malt and a TBS of brown mustard

Those canned tamales were much much better in my memory.  I LOVED THOSE THINGS.  Did they change the recipe? 
Eden Foods makes some great organic beans in cans--those black-eyed peas mixed up for about 2 seconds in the food processor with a TBS of shoyu, a bit of cumin fried 4 minutes on each side, with a dressing of barley malt and a TBS of brown mustard HEAVEN

Good for Julie the more homemade the less preservatives. 

Written By: laffytaffy on 12/21/07 at 6:44 am

As soon as I understand this html language I'll consider myself a genius.  Sorry for that last mess of a post.

Written By: Jessica on 12/21/07 at 9:48 am

I'm down with Chef Boyardee products. I also love Campbell's soups.

And once in a great while, I'll buy canned veggies.

Written By: Midas on 12/21/07 at 9:54 am

Soups - Campbell's, Chunky Soup, Progresso

Bush's Baked Beans

Hunt's tomato products (paste, sauce, diced tomatoes...)

I like the Franco-American and Chef Boy-ar-dee stuff too.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/21/07 at 9:54 am

Chunky Soup FTW!

Written By: Lindee on 12/21/07 at 10:24 am

Campbells Soups, Chef Boyardee pasta products, canned vegetables and fruits.

The only canned foods I ate as a kid and don't anymore are canned sardines and salmon  8-P  (mom made us eat it).

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/21/07 at 10:31 am

Alrighty, my rule on canned food:  If it was alive and it's now in a can, I'm not TOUCHING it!  This includes tuna and meatballs.  I do not eat pasta in a can (most of the Italians I know  will not).

I will eat soup (as long as it doesn't have any meat in it) and I will eat beans.

I think I may be a can snob  :(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/07 at 8:01 pm

we like canned vegetables like Green Giant Niblets corn,  and green beans for that famous holiday casserole, and Diane love's Bush's beans. I used to eat sardines, I still like them, I just haven't had them in a long time, of course canned olives are always in our pantry.

Written By: Lindee on 12/22/07 at 2:55 pm

we like canned vegetables like Green Giant Niblets corn,  and green beans for that famous holiday casserole, and Diane love's Bush's beans. I used to eat sardines, I still like them, I just haven't had them in a long time, of course canned olives are always in our pantry.

I love canned corn and green beans. I hate it when someone makes the green bean casserole and uses frozen green beans  8-P.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/22/07 at 7:25 pm

Campbell's soups, Chef Boyardee, and Dole canned fruit.

Written By: Brigitte on 12/22/07 at 11:03 pm

I like canned soup, tomato sauce, beans and creamed corn but I probably won't buy Alfa-geti ever again! (It was a good late night snack after drinking in the 80's though)

Will not ever try this:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/foods/foodsausage.jpg

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/22/07 at 11:21 pm

Will not ever try this:
Eww! I won't say what that looks like, but I'm sure those with a dirty mind like mine would know.  ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/07 at 1:16 am

I like canned soup, tomato sauce, beans and creamed corn but I probably won't buy Alfa-geti ever again! (It was a good late night snack after drinking in the 80's though)

Will not ever try this:
omg  :o  many many years ago, I used to eat those right out of the can.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/23/07 at 1:18 am

Will not ever try this:

wow.....those really DO look like a little mini penis. :D ;D

I eat canned veggies....and certain soups...but that's it.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/07 at 1:55 am

I was searching for a canned product and chanced upon this disgusting one that I am not even sure if it's real or a joke

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/81/245492402_e77a89806a.jpg?v=0

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/07 at 1:57 am

I don't eat Spam, but Julie and Diane both do.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020meFG5Hr1YAW2ujzbkF/SIG=1256gtm7a/EXP=1198482974/**http%3A//www.tomatoma.ws/bicubic/b2/b2-img/spam.jpg

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/23/07 at 2:28 am

Tried Wup-ass?

http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/wup-ass.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/07 at 2:40 am

Tried Wup-ass?

http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/wup-ass.jpg
yeah,I've opened up a can or 2 in my time  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/07 at 2:58 am

I shop at Costco...
I have 8 cans of Kidney Beans
          6 Cans of Pinto Beans
        10 Cans of Tomato Paste
          3 cans of Peas... I only like Lesure (sp?) peas... I don't like canned green beans or spinach tho. I buy those frozen.

That's it I don't cook a whole lot... and I have no Idea what I'm gonna do with all those beans but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Anyone have a good but easy chili recepie? I can't cook but I have a small crock pot.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/07 at 3:00 am

I shop at Costco...
I have 8 cans of Kidney Beans
          6 Cans of Pinto Beans
         10 Cans of Tomato Paste
          3 cans of Peas... I only like Lesure (sp?) peas... I don't like canned green beans or spinach tho. I buy those frozen.

That's it I don't cook a whole lot... and I have no Idea what I'm gonna do with all those beans but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Anyone have a good but easy chili recepie? I can't cook but I have a small crock pot.
and yams, don't forget the yams  ;D  we shop at Costco too and when you buy there, you buy in bulk but the prices are good.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/23/07 at 8:03 pm

Will not ever try this:

EWWWW, yuck!!! I don't know anybody who eats that stuff!  8-P

Written By: whistledog on 12/24/07 at 1:03 am

♦ Chef Boyardee Pasta
♦ Heinz Pasta (Alpha-Getti, Zoodles, etc ...)
♦ Chunky Chicken Vegetable Stew
♦ Primo Spaghetti Sauce

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/07 at 1:24 am

and yams, don't forget the yams  ;D  we shop at Costco too and when you buy there, you buy in bulk but the prices are good.

;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/07 at 1:32 am

;D
I have not enjoyed the canned version, only the fresh.  I wonder if there will be yams at the family Christmas gathering. for Thanksgiving we had a brunch, and the yams were MIA

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/07 at 1:35 am

I've already checked in with all my friends... I should be getting yams tomorrow. I live alone and have no family here so I don't do the whole spread.  I usually get a lot of people to take pity on me tho so I get lots of food! 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/07 at 1:40 am

I've already checked in with all my friends... I should be getting yams tomorrow. I live alone and have no family here so I don't do the whole spread.  I usually get a lot of people to take pity on me tho so I get lots of food! 
if we were close, I'd bring ya some. my own family never really gets together, but Diane's family does, and were gathering at her bro's house to give presents to the kids and eat some Chinese & Hawaiian food I think.

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/07 at 1:44 am

if we were close, I'd bring ya some. my own family never really gets together, but Diane's family does, and were gathering at her bro's house to give presents to the kids and eat some Chinese & Hawaiian food I think.

aw thanks!!!! Karma but.... you know.... sounds like a nice tradition.  MMMM Chinese ....

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/07 at 1:49 am

aw thanks!!!! Karma but.... you know.... sounds like a nice tradition.  MMMM Chinese ....
it's a nice gathering, and makes up for the lack of it with my own family. the food will be delicious, and this is the immediate family gathering. the Christmas Day gathering is the huge one, with all the cousins and aunts and uncles. It's an amazing event. what I missed out on in childhood is definitely made up for.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/24/07 at 1:51 pm

Chef Boyardee

a few varieties of Campbell's soup

Ham, green bean and potato mix from Dolemonte.

Chili

Mandarin oranges

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/03/08 at 3:10 am

EWWWW, yuck!!! I don't know anybody who eats that stuff!  8-P
my daughter had me pick up 2 cans of Vienna sausage for her at the store last night, and also a can of Spam Lite  :o

I bought myself a can of http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020pgpnxHfkMAnUGjzbkF/SIG=12qd57mcl/EXP=1199437792/**http%3A//www.conagrafoods.com/images/brands/product_jpgs/ranch_style.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/15/08 at 8:19 pm

i must have had a flashback but i do recall enjoying Chef Boy R Dee canned raviolis. Julie used to eat them as a kid and I always went in after her and finished what she didn't eat

Written By: La Roche on 01/15/08 at 8:56 pm

I eat all manner of canned food. I figure, my dogs food either comes in a bag or a can, anything she eats is good enough for me.

Spam, Corned Beef, 'meat in a can', Soups, vegetables, pasta and stuff.. pretty much anything. I once ate Pumpkin straight out of the can.. I wont make that mistake again.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/18/08 at 3:28 pm

when I used to eat beef, I LOVED Dinty Moore Beef Stew.  You should try it!

I don't like many other canned foods, I guess...

Though I will certainly chow down on some Mexicorn

We used to have canned vegetables all the time when I was little... never liked them.  I much prefer fresh or frozen to canned.

Check for new replies or respond here...