inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chex Party Mix

Written By: Red Ant on 12/23/07 at 5:21 pm

Homemade Chex Party Mix for the holidays:

1 Small box/bag each of the following:

Rice Chex
Corn Chex
Wheat Chex
Cheerios
Cheese-Its
Stick Pretzels

Also:

2 10-12oz cans of salted peanuts
1 10-12oz can of cashews

Pour approximately half of each box of cereal, cheese-its and pretzels into a huge baking pan and add all of the nuts. Mix well.

For the sauce:

1 lb salted butter
1 tbsp Liquid Smoke
1 tsp Majoram (crush well before adding)
1 tsp Savory
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Melt the entire pound of butter in the microwave and add the rest of the seasonings to it. Mix well.

Pour the butter mix over the dry cereal mix, turning and mixing well. Put into an oven at 250* for 60 to 70 minutes, turning every 10-15 minutes.

When done, pour the finished mix over aluminum foil or cookie pans and let cool.

If anyone would like to try this without having to make it themselves, send me a PM with your address (US only) and I'll send you a 32 oz container of mix. Should be there before New Years.

Ant

Subject: Re: Chex Party Mix

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/07 at 1:37 am

that's real generous of you Jack as all those ingredients are not cheap and add up.  I have a version I make, which I got from the El Paso Chili Company cookbook, similar, but called Texas Trash, and I've found you can pretty much use whatever snacks you like. mine is spicy  :o  and I've altered the trash concoction a few times and have used cheez-its, fritos, and most of the other items you listed, and lots of tabasco and some cayenne.

I used to give it away to our friends as gifts along with my BBQ meat rub, but I have not done that in a few years.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/24/07 at 2:42 am

that's real generous of you Jack as all those ingredients are not cheap and add up.  I have a version I make, which I got from the El Paso Chili Company cookbook, similar, but called Texas Trash, and I've found you can pretty much use whatever snacks you like. mine is spicy  :o  and I've altered the trash concoction a few times and have used cheez-its, fritos, and most of the other items you listed, and lots of tabasco and some cayenne.

I used to give it away to our friends as gifts along with my BBQ meat rub, but I have not done that in a few years.

I wanted to make a "spicy" mix this year, but didn't know where to start. What ingredients do you use? I was thinking of a tbsp of Tabasco sauce as well as some dried cayenne pepper, but I usually don't like spicy snacks...

Yeah, they aren't cheap, but I think homemade Chex Mix is far superior to store bought. What's odd is the cereal is the most expensive part... and finding liquid smoke is getting hard in this area.

The shipping is more expensive than the mix, but for the holidays, I'm willing to pay it... within reason.  ;)

Ant

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/07 at 1:32 pm

I wanted to make a "spicy" mix this year, but didn't know where to start. What ingredients do you use? I was thinking of a tbsp of Tabasco sauce as well as some dried cayenne pepper, but I usually don't like spicy snacks...

Yeah, they aren't cheap, but I think homemade Chex Mix is far superior to store bought. What's odd is the cereal is the most expensive part... and finding liquid smoke is getting hard in this area.

The shipping is more expensive than the mix, but for the holidays, I'm willing to pay it... within reason.  ;)

Ant
I'll get the exact recipe from my cookbook, and the spiciness used is tabasco and cayenne, however much you like. I try not to overdo it.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/24/07 at 7:34 pm

That recipe sounds yummy!  :) My mother and I used to make Chex party mix for parties, pot lucks, etc...

Written By: Red Ant on 12/26/07 at 2:02 pm

That recipe sounds yummy!  :) My mother and I used to make Chex party mix for parties, pot lucks, etc...

Thank you! I'm about to make some more tonight. The 16 32oz containers I made last week went very quickly.

Ant

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/26/07 at 7:21 pm

Thank you! I'm about to make some more tonight. The 16 32oz containers I made last week went very quickly.

Ant
whoa  :o  that's a lot of mix.  I have a poker party coming up next weekend or is it this weekend  :-\\  anyways, I should make some

Written By: Red Ant on 12/26/07 at 7:48 pm

whoa  :o  that's a lot of mix.  I have a poker party coming up next weekend or is it this weekend  :-\\  anyways, I should make some

I'm trying some variations, including using Crispix instead of Chex and playing around with the seasonings. I've got an "Old Bay" batch (didn't use enough Old Bay) and later tonight I'm going to try a sweet batch, with cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla extract and nutmeg - with Honey Nut cheerios instead of regular.

Ant

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/26/07 at 8:29 pm

I'm trying some variations, including using Crispix instead of Chex and playing around with the seasonings. I've got an "Old Bay" batch (didn't use enough Old Bay) and later tonight I'm going to try a sweet batch, with cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla extract and nutmeg - with Honey Nut cheerios instead of regular.

Ant

i prefer the saltier version  :)  hope it turns out good

Check for new replies or respond here...