inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Military Field Kitchens Chow Halls Etc

Written By: DoRitos on 12/27/07 at 6:44 am

Ever eat in one?  Please describe your experience.

http://www.pentagon.gov/home/images/photos/2005-09/photoessays/pi20050910a01.jpg

Cabo Toledo, a member of a Mexican army field kitchen unit, provides hot coffee for volunteers supporting Hurricane Katrina relief efforts at the Kelly USA Center, San Antonio, Texas, Sept. 9, 2005. Defense Dept. photo by Alan Boedeker, U.S. Air Force

Second Mexican "invasion".

Pic location is on the east side of the flight line on Lackland AFB Tx.  Kelly AFB was adjacent to Lackland AFB but was a BRAC victim and closed circa 2000.  The Mexican Army lent a hand to the Katrina victims in Sep 2005.  Kelly USA was a relief/relocation center.  The Mexican Army ran a convoy a few miles long "invading" from Laredo to San Antonio Texas along the I-35 corridor.  I wonder if any of them visited the Alamo?  Our thanks go out to our south of the border friends.  Local NEWS flooded the story of the convoy.  Seems they were concerned about uninformed citizens causing an international incident.

Subject: Re: Military Field Kitchens Chow Halls Etc

Written By: DoRitos on 12/28/07 at 10:46 pm

The good thing about eating in a mess tent is that it is informal.  No one cares if you eat in your underwear.  There is NO - no shirt, no shoes, no service.

http://www.seabeecook.com/equipment/images/mess_tent_on_a_pacific_island.gif

http://www.smokeysoffice.com/Entertain/MASH/MashPhotos/Compound/MessTent3.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/07 at 1:34 pm

Ever eat in one?  Please describe your experience.

http://www.pentagon.gov/home/images/photos/2005-09/photoessays/pi20050910a01.jpg

Cabo Toledo, a member of a Mexican army field kitchen unit, provides hot coffee for volunteers supporting Hurricane Katrina relief efforts at the Kelly USA Center, San Antonio, Texas, Sept. 9, 2005. Defense Dept. photo by Alan Boedeker, U.S. Air Force

Second Mexican "invasion".

Pic location is on the east side of the flight line on Lackland AFB Tx.  Kelly AFB was adjacent to Lackland AFB but was a BRAC victim and closed circa 2000.  The Mexican Army lent a hand to the Katrina victims in Sep 2005.  Kelly USA was a relief/relocation center.  The Mexican Army ran a convoy a few miles long "invading" from Laredo to San Antonio Texas along the I-35 corridor.  I wonder if any of them visited the Alamo?  Our thanks go out to our south of the border friends.  Local NEWS flooded the story of the convoy.  Seems they were concerned about uninformed citizens causing an international incident.

I have eaten at chow halls on BOTH Kelly AFB & Lackland AFB. Each base have several of them. Most are ok or even half way decent but they definitely aren't 4 star resturants. As for a field kitchen, can't say that I have. Whenever we had to do some kind of "maneuvers", we were given MREs (Meals Ready to Eat).  8-P

Cat

Written By: Red Ant on 12/31/07 at 4:26 pm

The mess hall in Orlando, Florida wasn't bad (for MMA school and NNPS). Thanksgiving 1994 there was actually a nice meal - home away from, really.

Ballston Spa didn't have a mess hall - well, they did, but it was all civilian contractors serving lunch and what not. There was no on base housing either.

Ant

Written By: DoRitos on 01/02/08 at 12:09 am

I have eaten at chow halls on BOTH Kelly AFB & Lackland AFB. Each base have several of them. Most are ok or even half way decent but they definitely aren't 4 star resturants. As for a field kitchen, can't say that I have. Whenever we had to do some kind of "maneuvers", we were given MREs (Meals Ready to Eat).  8-P

Cat

Security Hill on Kelly which is now Lackland had a pretty decent chow hall but the one at Ft. Meade Md was a four star one.  They used to dine congress folks and other VIPs from washington there.  Thanks for the reply Cat.  I had no idea you were a fellow ?USAF? affiliate.  Did you wear the uniform or employed in some other capacity?

Written By: Davester on 01/02/08 at 6:03 am

All the time, shipboard and on base...

I thought the food was good, like a Denny's restaraunt...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/08 at 2:17 pm

Funny story:

My father-in-law was a cook in the Coast Guard during WWII. Nobody like the commander - a second lieutenant fresh out of command school who didn't know what the hell he was doing- on the boat he was on. My FIL used to bring a really greasy, fatty pork chop up on deck. The lieutenant would look at this while the waves are hitting the boat, start to get queasy and then run down to his cabin and stay there for a long time. My FIL would then make a GOOD breakfast for everyone else.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...