inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ice Cream Cake Roll

Written By: loki 13 on 01/06/08 at 6:49 pm

I remember, as a kid in the 70's, on Friday nights my mother would give us a dessert of ice cream cake roll.
It wasn't a caravel ice cream cake, this was a layer of ice cream on top of a rich chocolate cake rolled up into
a tube. The roll was about 10"  long and about 5" in diameter. Does anyone else remeber the ice cream cake
roll, who made it, is it still avaiable, if so where? Sara Lee sells a similar product but it's just not the same. How
I long for the days of a rich ice cream cake roll.

Subject: Re: Ice Cream Cake Roll

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/08 at 5:28 am

I see them sometimes, but only sometimes, usually they are by some no name brand.  My mother used to make it for us.

Written By: Gis on 01/07/08 at 7:47 am

In the U.K they were called an Arctic Roll.

Written By: KKay on 01/07/08 at 7:55 am

sara lee makes that ...but also we used to have it home made which was GREAT

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/08 at 8:05 am

Bunch of recipes here.  Homemade really is the best, and they aren't as hard to roll as they seem.

www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1-1,ice_cream_cake_roll,FF.html

Written By: KKay on 01/07/08 at 8:05 am

Bunch of recipes here.  Homemade really is the best, and they aren't as hard to roll as they seem.

www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1-1,ice_cream_cake_roll,FF.html

that will be a fun project for me for the weekend!

Written By: karen on 01/07/08 at 8:26 am

That's what I thought at first but if you read the link Danoota posted it seems to be a swiss roll with ice cream instead of cream.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/08 at 8:45 am

That's what I thought at first but if you read the link Danoota posted it seems to be a swiss roll with ice cream instead of cream.

There should be a bunch of different recipes, you can pick which you want.  She is looking for one with ice cream.

Written By: karen on 01/07/08 at 8:48 am

There should be a bunch of different recipes, you can pick which you want.  She is looking for one with ice cream.

I know but they all seemed to suggest a spiral of sponge cake and ice cream, whereas the Artic Roll Gis mentions is a cylinder of ice cream surrounded by a layer of sponge.

Written By: Lindee on 01/07/08 at 10:36 am

I think Baskin Robbins sold something similiar. Not sure if they still do.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/08 at 2:46 pm

I know but they all seemed to suggest a spiral of sponge cake and ice cream, whereas the Artic Roll Gis mentions is a cylinder of ice cream surrounded by a layer of sponge.

oooh, I see.  But the premise is the same, cake wrapped around ice cream.  Once it lands where it is going it is all the same  ;D

Written By: robby76 on 01/14/08 at 1:30 am

Mmmm I loved Artic Roll - that layer of jam took it to a whole different level!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...