inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: BACON.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/09/08 at 1:11 am

Join the Bacon of the Month Club...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6842543

...make your bacon into a burger...

http://www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/burgers/index.html

...or fry it...

http://www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/deepfried/

...or weave it into a mat...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bacon-Placemats/?ALLSTEPS

...but you will become one with the Bacon.

Subject: Re: BACON.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/09/08 at 2:10 am

I had bacon for dinner. Hormel  center cut.  fried up in a pan is the only way I ever eat it. I like it a little smokey and just the right amount of lean meat and fat. I like thick sliced a little bit more than thin sliced. gimme a fat BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato on white bread slathered with mayo, it can be toastd or not, and I like to splash a drop or 2 of tabasco on each bite.  BACON is the key ingredient  8)

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/08 at 2:37 am

What about Kevin Bacon?  I saw in a TV interview where his wife Kyra Sedgewick joked about wanting to sue Wendy's because long before they thought of that name, she was calling Kevin the "Baconator" ;D

I love Back Bacon, but I don't eat it that much.  In fact, I think in my lifetime, I've only ever had it maybe 5 times :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/09/08 at 2:39 am

What about Kevin Bacon?  I saw in a TV interview where his wife Kyra Sedgewick joked about wanting to sue Wendy's because long before they thought of that name, she was calling Kevin the "Baconator" ;D

I love Back Bacon, but I don't eat it that much.  In fact, I think in my lifetime, I've only ever had it maybe 5 times :-\\
Kevin has been in a bazillion films and I like most of them, so again I can say I like Bacon.

Written By: Jessica on 01/09/08 at 10:16 am

Bacon is the food of the gods. Unfortunately, I can't eat it more than once every three months or so. :\'(

Although I'm tempted to try this:

Bacon Salt

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/09/08 at 10:47 am

Mmm...love bacon!  :D

Written By: Midas on 01/09/08 at 11:30 am

I used to not eat bacon, but now I eat quite a bit of it for breakfast.  Costco has some good thick-sliced bacon.  I'll often eat bacon on cheeseburgers as well.

Written By: Lindee on 01/09/08 at 11:57 am

I love bacon. I don't care to cook it because it's too messy. I  always order it in a restaurant when I order breakfast.

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 12:40 pm

This commercial sums up my feelings about bacon...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WvxgM3lr-mg

I once went to a Hometown Buffet and got two plates one with eggs and sauge and all the good stuff and a second plate with nothing but bacon! I called it heart attack on a plate my friends were disgusted that I ate it all and went back for more!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/09/08 at 1:40 pm

I used to not eat bacon, but now I eat quite a bit of it for breakfast.  Costco has some good thick-sliced bacon.  I'll often eat bacon on cheeseburgers as well.

I haven't tried Costco's bacon, but I think I'll have to now that you say it's good!  :)

Written By: Paul on 01/09/08 at 1:52 pm

I adore bacon and ham, but don't care much for gammon...work that one out!  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/09/08 at 1:56 pm

I adore bacon and ham, but don't care much for gammon...work that one out!  :D

Pardon my ignorance, but what is 'gammon'?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 1:57 pm

thank you I was going to ask too..

Written By: Paul on 01/09/08 at 2:34 pm

thank you I was going to ask too..

No problems at all...

Gammon is a cut of meat from the leg or shoulder of the pig, usually comes in the form of a joint (like beef)...

I think it's the way it's cooked (boiled usually) that turns me off...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/09/08 at 2:40 pm

Gammon is a cut of meat from the leg or shoulder of the pig, usually comes in the form of a joint (like beef)...

I think it's the way it's cooked (boiled usually) that turns me off...

Yes, 'boiled' meat would turn me off, too!  :P

Written By: Paul on 01/09/08 at 2:48 pm

Yes, 'boiled' meat would turn me off, too!  :P

You can also get boiled ham (I assume it's got to be a very near relative of gammon), but I tend to steer clear of that too...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/09/08 at 2:55 pm

You can also get boiled ham (I assume it's got to be a very near relative of gammon), but I tend to steer clear of that too...

Doesn't sound like it would have much in the way of flavor...

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 7:52 pm

boiled meat?  Even I'm not that much of a carniwhore!  ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/09/08 at 8:16 pm

I like bacon in sandwiches and crumbled into salads.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/09/08 at 9:42 pm

Corned Beef is about the only "boiled" meat I can think of. Which is extremely tasty! Other than that, not sure what other boiled meats there are.

And bacon is my favourite pig meat, I love bacon!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/09/08 at 9:48 pm

There's also stew that's boiled, but not sure if that counts or not.

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/08 at 11:03 pm

You know what always cracks me up?  In cartoons, when you see pigs eating Bacon.  They did this once on the 'Garfield and Friends' bit known as 'U.S. Acres' where you see Orson eating Bacon and Eggs :D

Written By: Gis on 01/10/08 at 5:34 am

Doesn't sound like it would have much in the way of flavor...
Ok cookery lesson chaps! It may surprise you to know that all ham you buy sliced in packets is boiled, that is how you get ham! Unless it specifies that it is baked ham. It depends on whether the meat is smoked and what combination of spices is used whilst boiling to create the flavour.

Gammon can also come in steaks which you can grill.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/08 at 7:26 am

Bacon is one thing that I always have in the house.  Oscar Mayer, food for the gods  :)

Written By: Jessica on 01/10/08 at 9:22 am

Bacon is one thing that I always have in the house.  Oscar Mayer, food for the gods   :)

They have this center cut bacon that is really good. Not too much fat on it, but it is just heavenly. Makes good bacon gravy as well. :D

Written By: Midas on 01/10/08 at 10:17 am

I haven't tried Costco's bacon, but I think I'll have to now that you say it's good!  :)

They carry their own brand (Kirkland) and I think the Hormel bacon, both of which are thick-sliced cut.  Had the Hormel the other night (breakfast for dinner!) and it was gooooooood.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/08 at 10:28 am

I love going to Costco for "brunch"  ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/10/08 at 10:30 am

They carry their own brand (Kirkland) and I think the Hormel bacon, both of which are thick-sliced cut.  Had the Hormel the other night (breakfast for dinner!) and it was gooooooood.  :)

Now I'm definitely gonna pick some up the next time I go to Costco!  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/10/08 at 10:31 am

I love going to Costco for "brunch"   ;D

You must be referring to all the 'samples' they give out in the store!  ;)

Written By: Jessica on 01/10/08 at 10:34 am

That's what we do. On days that I know we are going to Costco, I don't even bother eating breakfast. It's kinda cool though because sometimes you find you like things that you would have never thought to buy. Like last month they were sampling this goat cheese spread on seven seed flatbread. It was so good that I bought some. And we found this past week that Jason likes those weird Smucker's Uncrustable sandwiches. So it all works out. :D

Written By: Midas on 01/10/08 at 11:38 am

... we found this past week that Jason likes those weird Smucker's Uncrustable sandwiches.

My old roommate Tony would by those.  :D ;D

I do that too! :D

I'mma hafta have a bacon cheeseburger in the next few days.  :D ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/10/08 at 5:09 pm

Ok cookery lesson chaps! It may surprise you to know that all ham you buy sliced in packets is boiled, that is how you get ham! Unless it specifies that it is baked ham. It depends on whether the meat is smoked and what combination of spices is used whilst boiling to create the flavour.

Gammon can also come in steaks which you can grill.
Yes, that's true. Although when they were talking about "boiled meat" I was thinking meat you buy from the shop and stick in a pot of water for 5 hours.

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/08 at 12:20 pm

Yes, that's true. Although when they were talking about "boiled meat" I was thinking meat you buy from the shop and stick in a pot of water for 5 hours.

I was thinking the same thing although I prefer baked ham to all other forms of ham...now I know why.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/08 at 2:05 pm

IT'S BACON!!!!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:uobXqr8QH13MYM:http://www.retrojunk.com/img/commercial-thumbs/begginstrips_287_sm_688.jpg

:D ;D ;D ;D

Ok, ok. The truth is I LOVE bacon & ham. Yup, I'm such a good Jewish girl.  :D ;D ;D  Whenever we have bacon, Carlos cooks up the entire package so we each can have half a package. None of this "only two slices each" s**t.  ;D ;D ;D And I don't like it overcooked like some restaurants cook it.  :P

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/08 at 6:13 pm

IT'S BACON!!!!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:uobXqr8QH13MYM:http://www.retrojunk.com/img/commercial-thumbs/begginstrips_287_sm_688.jpg

:D ;D ;D ;D

Ok, ok. The truth is I LOVE bacon & ham. Yup, I'm such a good Jewish girl.  :D ;D ;D  Whenever we have bacon, Carlos cooks up the entire package so we each can have half a package. None of this "only two slices each" s**t.  ;D ;D ;D And I don't like it overcooked like some restaurants cook it.  :P

Cat

hey your picture is taken from my clip

great minds think alike

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/08 at 12:03 pm

hey your picture is taken from my clip

great minds think alike

I have a tendency not to clink on video clips-*&^%$(#@ dial-up!!!  >:(

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/08 at 12:05 pm

I have a tendency not to clink on video clips-*&^%$(#@ dial-up!!!  >:(

Cat

STILLLL!?!?!?  Go to the I need a thread immediately and post that you need a DSL or cable modem  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/08 at 4:02 pm

STILLLL!?!?!?  Go to the I need a thread immediately and post that you need a DSL or cable modem  ;)

I think I did already-back in the dark ages.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: sugar168 on 01/12/08 at 5:13 pm

hmm i only eat it if its burnt...yes like snaps when you touch it. thats the best-and only way...

Written By: chiefyamick on 02/04/08 at 9:06 pm

Here's another strange bacon item.....the last time I toured the Jelly Belly factory they were on the marketing a bacon flavored jelly bean.....oddly enough it DID taste just like bacon, without the grease!!! I don't know if they still have them on the market though

Written By: nally on 05/24/08 at 1:08 pm

I eat bacon now and then. It's good

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/24/08 at 6:20 pm

I LOVE bacon, but only eat it rarely.  Too much salt (which I also love) and hubby doesn't really like it at all, so if I bought a whole pound (which I've done before) I'd end up eating the whole thing myself.  If we're out for breakfast, I will usually try to get some bacon just because I haven't had it in awhile.

Yum.

Mom used to make these club sandwiches for dinner, and my favorite part of the sandwich was the bacon (and mayo). 

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/08 at 12:37 am

hubby doesn't really like it at all, so if I bought a whole pound (which I've done before) I'd end up eating the whole thing myself. 

So where's the downside?

Cuz I ain't seeing it.

A Life In Balance:  One pound of bacon bought?  One pound of bacon eaten.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/25/08 at 3:09 pm

So where's the downside?

Cuz I ain't seeing it.

A Life In Balance:  One pound of bacon bought?  One pound of bacon eaten.

lol  Yeah, it's all about balance in life.  Um...now that you mention it, perhaps I've been under the misconception that eating a whole pound of bacon is bad for me.  I guess as long as I don't eat it all in one sitting...  :P

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/08 at 11:22 pm

lol  Yeah, it's all about balance in life.  Um...now that you mention it, perhaps I've been under the misconception that eating a whole pound of bacon is bad for me.  I guess as long as I don't eat it all in one sitting...  :P

Exactly.  It's a preserved meat.  It's not like it's gonna rot if you don't cook the whole pound in one day, right?

Now, if you can cook the entire pound and not eat it all, that's an impressive feat of willpower.  Or masochism.  I'm not sure which.  Because the hardest part about cooking a pound of bacon is that you can't get the entire pound of bacon into a frying pan at once.  Which means you work in batches, and about halfway through, you're going to be breathing in the aroma of a panful of delicious sizzling raw bacon... and a plate of piping-hot, perfectly-cooked bacon is gonna be sitting within arm's reach.

It's no wonder that man has tried since time immemorial to invent Instant Bacon, albeit with mixed results.

(On a serious culinary note, baking the bacon in an oven is a good solution to the "frying in batches" problem, but the cleanup is difficult.  The results are excellent, however, and worth the cleanup especially if you ever have to cook more than a pound at once.)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/25/08 at 11:54 pm

I always found dodging hot bacon grease to be quite exciting!  Not to mention hoping that the electric burner doesn't catch on fire from splatters.  Also some advice, never fry bacon in a tank top.  That's my public service announcement for the day.

edit: I meant, that the person that does the frying is in a tank top, not the bacon itself in a tank top.  Altough, maybe that's a good look for it, I dunno.  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/26/08 at 1:45 am

I have a pound of bacon in the fridge. I think I'll cook it up tomorrow morning for breakfast.
I'm really picky when I buy bacon, I open the back of the pack & view the representative slice & I'lll view several until I find the best looking combination of fat and meat

as I was looking for bacon packages I came across something rather odd  ???  candy that looks like bacon? now how cool is that?  ;D 
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/463527015_d6311c1716.jpg?v=0

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/26/08 at 2:19 am

^ And a strawberry flavored Ribeye!  Isn't life wonderful?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/26/08 at 2:25 am

^ And a strawberry flavored Ribeye!  Isn't life wonderful?
;D  it's wonderful and strange at times

if we ever have a real life meeting, we'll have to make sure and get plenty of bacon for breakfast. 

Written By: Ppufi on 05/26/08 at 6:33 pm

I need to reestablish my love of bacon.  After having hospital bacon day after day, it's lost all crunch, meat, and taste.  :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/26/08 at 9:51 pm

edit: I meant, that the person that does the frying is in a tank top, not the bacon itself in a tank top.  Altough, maybe that's a good look for it, I dunno.  :D

Speaking of which, a google-image-search for "Bacon bra" produces at least one interesting result.  Marginally safe-for-work.

You Know You Love Bacon When:  Your first reaction isn't "nice boobs, let's get that bacon offa there!" but "nice bacon, hope they fried it up and ate it while she was in the shower after the photoshoot."

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/26/08 at 10:41 pm

You Know You Love Bacon When:  Your first reaction isn't "nice boobs, let's get that bacon offa there!" but "nice bacon, hope they fried it up and ate it while she was in the shower after the photoshoot."

;D ;D ;D  Well that might be my reaction, if given the choice.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/26/08 at 11:12 pm

;D ;D ;D  Well that might be my reaction, if given the choice.

Look, it's bad enough that I've got for "googled for Bacon bra" on my permanent record.  If you think I'm googling "Bacon jockstrap", you're nuts!

Umm, I mean, you're crazy!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/27/08 at 11:37 am

lol oh Ok.  Well it was the thought that counts.  :P

Although I'm really not sure I'd be eating the bacon jockstrap either... boobs are one thing, mostly clean...nether regions...eh....it all depends.  8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/08 at 10:19 pm

Although I'm really not sure I'd be eating the bacon jockstrap either... boobs are one thing, mostly clean...nether regions...eh....it all depends.  8-P

Precisely.  At least the bacon gets fried :)

This oughta go to the food quirks thread, but I've never had a problem with people sharing glasses/forks or even double-dipping.  There are personal reasons why I'd prefer not to kiss most of my co-workers.  But hygiene isn't one of 'em.  You exchange ten times as many bacteria during a kiss, and probably 50 times as many bacteria during sex, as you would sharing a spoon.  If a co-worker or friend isn't obviously afflicted with a cold or other easily-communicable disease, what's the problem with sharing utensils or glasses in a pinch?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/03/08 at 11:02 pm

20 years ago, there was a company that made Bacon in a can

After two years of reverse-engineering from a major MRE manufacturer, the project is complete.  BEHOLD!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/03/08 at 11:26 pm

^ That's totally awesome.

I had to order bacon on my blue cheese steak burger today at lunch, and as I was munching...I thought of this thread.  You can take a bookmistress4ever away from the computer but cannot make her stop thinking about it.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/03/08 at 11:56 pm

20 years ago, there was a company that made Bacon in a can

After two years of reverse-engineering from a major MRE manufacturer, the project is complete.  BEHOLD!

http://i12.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/f3/b0/efa7_1_sbol.JPG nice work Foo Bar, that's excellent and the website has all kinds of good stuff

Written By: Bobby on 06/04/08 at 1:41 pm

I love a good bacon/sausage sandwich though BBC are still determined to give us a good scare:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6194502.stm

::)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/04/08 at 2:31 pm

I always found dodging hot bacon grease to be quite exciting!  Not to mention hoping that the electric burner doesn't catch on fire from splatters.  Also some advice, never fry bacon in a tank top.  That's my public service announcement for the day.

edit: I meant, that the person that does the frying is in a tank top, not the bacon itself in a tank top.  Altough, maybe that's a good look for it, I dunno.   :D

Some of the worst burns I've had have been the result of hot bacon fat splattering out at me...ouch!  :o

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/08 at 12:28 am

^ Whenever I cook bacon, I have to put on a sweater and wear oven mitts because I always get burned ;D

Written By: Bobby on 06/05/08 at 4:22 pm

^ Whenever I cook bacon, I have to put on a sweater and wear oven mitts because I always get burned ;D

What a wussy!  ;) ;D

Written By: zacpot on 06/06/08 at 1:53 am

crispy fried bcon with mushrooms on toast  mmmm  yum  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/06/08 at 3:25 am

What a wussy!  ;) ;D
I know. that's what I was thinking  ;D 

What a wussy!  ;) ;D
take the pain Jason. it's part of the experience  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 06/14/08 at 2:16 pm

my landlord threw some burgers on the grill and then he threw bacon on too.... BBQ Bacon is GOOD!!! http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/BeautifulRoses11/Smilies/lick.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/01/09 at 2:33 am

Recipe: Bacon Explosion

The Bacon Explosion takes everything that is awesome about pork sausage, and everything that is funky about the bacon placemat, and wraps it into a torpedo-shaped Super-Bowl tube of porcine doom.

It is no more a risk to your arteries than a breakfast sausage served alongside a slice of bacon, except that it made of God and Win.

Written By: karen on 02/02/09 at 4:23 pm

Does anybody know where you can get this sort of bacon from?  Or what I should ask for at a butcher's

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/Bacon.JPG/180px-Bacon.JPG

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/02/09 at 4:30 pm

so do people like their bacon crisp or more on the chewy side.  I like both, but i think crisp is the best

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 4:40 pm

Does anybody know where you can get this sort of bacon from?  Or what I should ask for at a butcher's

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/Bacon.JPG/180px-Bacon.JPG
Karen that is not a "true" bacon, as it is not from the belly(or bacon) of the pork.  This meat is cut from the loin, same as a loin/ or boneless pork chop (imagine a thin slice of a whole pork loin roast), then it is cured and/or smoked the same as bacon.  I believe it is labeled Irish or English bacon(must be why you are interested in it ;)), I have never asked for it but a good butcher shop should be able to come up with it (as loin is a staple, but they would have to cure and smoke it).

Can also be labeled as "Pork back bacon" (as ours/ american is pork belly) and loins are located on the pigs back

Did find this site stating for sale http://www.britishbacon.com/comersus6f/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=57

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 4:45 pm

so do people like their bacon crisp or more on the chewy side.  I like both, but i think crisp is the best
Love Chewy and flat, hate crispy and curly!!!!!  Feel like it is too salty when crispy

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/02/09 at 5:05 pm

Love Chewy and flat, hate crispy and curly!!!!!  Feel like it is too salty when crispy
well, as long as there is a good combination of fat to meat, too much fat and the chewy can be deadly

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 5:06 pm

well, as long as there is a good combination of fat to meat, too much fat and the chewy can be deadly
I have prime grade a IOWA pork here ;) 

If your worried about die'n then you should be eating turkey ::)

;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/02/09 at 5:29 pm

I have prime grade a IOWA pork here ;)   

If your worried about die'n then you should be eating turkey ::)

;D
I wanna taste some of that prime Iowa pork and no fear of dying here. i do try to enjoy my food/fat  ;D  and I do love swine, especially spare ribs.  One time, on his tv cooking show as he was cooking ribs, I heard the Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith say "if my doctor ever told me I couldn't eat these anymore, do you know what I'd do"? then he whispers to the camera, "I'd get another doctor"  ;) 

Written By: Paul on 02/02/09 at 5:33 pm

Does anybody know where you can get this sort of bacon from? 

From a pig, I should think!

(Sorry, I'm leaving right now!  :D)

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 5:48 pm

I wanna taste some of that prime Iowa pork and no fear of dying here. i do try to enjoy my food/fat  ;D  and I do love swine, especially spare ribs.  One time, on his tv cooking show as he was cooking ribs, I heard the Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith say "if my doctor ever told me I couldn't eat these anymore, do you know what I'd do"? then he whispers to the camera, "I'd get another doctor"  ;) 
Oh how I used to love the Frugal Gourmet, he used to be on PBS every Saturday - and Justin Wilson, the Cajun cook on Sundays, and I can not remember, but I think, Yan can Cook on Sundays as well ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/02/09 at 6:27 pm

Oh how I used to love the Frugal Gourmet, he used to be on PBS every Saturday - and Justin Wilson, the Cajun cook on Sundays, and I can not remember, but I think, Yan can Cook on Sundays as well ;D
I loved Justin Wilson with his cool cajun accent.  he said some of the funniest things and he was a good cook, but one time, and I was kinda wondering what the heck he was doing becauswe he was making cheese toast. sliced french bread with hunks of cheese in the oven/broiler and I'm thinking...this is a cooking show  ???  but other than that, the man could cook. he would take the lid off a pot and look inside at the food and say "Don't that purty"? 

sorry to go so far off topic...  so I wonder if he had any good bacon recipes. I always wanted to get one of his cookbooks

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 6:31 pm

I loved Justin Wilson with his cool cajun accent.  he said some of the funniest things and he was a good cook, but one time, and I was kinda wondering what the heck he was doing becauswe he was making cheese toast. sliced french bread with hunks of cheese in the oven/broiler and I'm thinking...this is a cooking show  ???  but other than that, the man could cook. he would take the lid off a pot and look inside at the food and say "Don't that purty"? 

sorry to go so far off topic...  so I wonder if he had any good bacon recipes. I always wanted to get one of his cookbooks
well by googling Justin Wilson bacon recipes, the man sure did like bacon drippings  - and were there are drippings there has to be bacon ??? ??? ???

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/02/09 at 7:05 pm

well by googling Justin Wilson bacon recipes, the man sure did like bacon drippings  - and were there are drippings there has to be bacon ??? ??? ???
I wonder why you can't find bacon drippings in the store by the canola oil  ???  I betcha they got that in Iowa  8)

I got a couple of The Frugal Gourmet cookbooks and he has a recipe for fried chicken which is fried in bacon drippings. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 7:26 pm

I wonder why you can't find bacon drippings in the store by the canola oil  ???  I betcha they got that in Iowa  8)

I got a couple of The Frugal Gourmet cookbooks and he has a recipe for fried chicken which is fried in bacon drippings. 
No bacon drippings here, I think you got to make them yourself :-\\

THAT IS ALOT of bacon drippings to fry Chicken in :o

And you were worried about the chewy bacon killing you ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/02/09 at 7:32 pm

No bacon drippings here, I think you got to make them yourself :-\\

THAT IS ALOT of bacon drippings to fry Chicken in :o

And you were worried about the chewy bacon killing you ::)
I do like to live dangerously  ;D  but I never used the bacon dripping recipe, but maybe a cup of it with the oil for flavoring would be ok.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 7:52 pm

I do like to live dangerously  ;D  but I never used the bacon dripping recipe, but maybe a cup of it with the oil for flavoring would be ok.
;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/09 at 9:12 pm

I prefer chewy.... like BFF I want more meat than fat on a chewy piece of bacon but I have never turned down crispy bacon... I just love bacon!

I once went to Hometown Buffet and got two plates my first trip; one plate of breakfast foods and one plate that consisted of nothing but bacon...it was truly 'heart attack on a plate" and I savored every bite!  ;D

Written By: karen on 02/02/09 at 9:21 pm

That's why I like the bacon I was asking about^  Much better meat to fat ratio.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 9:34 pm

Did you find any yet???

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/02/09 at 9:41 pm

I prefer chewy.... like BFF I want more meat than fat on a chewy piece of bacon but I have never turned down crispy bacon... I just love bacon!

I once went to Hometown Buffet and got two plates my first trip; one plate of breakfast foods and one plate that consisted of nothing but bacon...it was truly 'heart attack on a plate" and I savored every bite!  ;D
a plateful of bacon?  you're awesome  8)  I gotta try that next time

those slices look more like thinly sliced pork chops. I've never seen those before and I found these which were called bacon steaks
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020txvIdJFg4BfR2jzbkF/SIG=12ae1samt/EXP=1233718769/**http%3A//www.welshmeatdirect.com/images/bacon_steaks.jpg

this is kinda what I'm looking for when I buy bacon kind of a 50/50 of fat & meat although 60% meat is preferable to me  :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2990607692_db3d3dbd49.jpg?v=0

this bacon has a litle too much fat but it's not bad  ::)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2560133830_52f4dcee7a.jpg?v=0

here's some thick sliced peppered bacon that looks pretty good http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0200mvIdJzA4AfdWjzbkF/SIG=122dbva8e/EXP=1233718694/**http%3A//www.farmpac.com/custom/photos/bacon.jpg

Written By: karen on 02/02/09 at 9:42 pm

Did you find any yet???

I heard a rumour that Stop and Shop might stock Irish bacon.  The website I found the photo on said it is similar to Canadian bacon but I've looked at that and it isn't the same stuff.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 9:49 pm

I heard a rumour that Stop and Shop might stock Irish bacon.  The website I found the photo on said it is similar to Canadian bacon but I've looked at that and it isn't the same stuff.
Did you see my reply, there was a place that looked to sell it????  It is from the loin of the pig. Just smoked and cured like bacon.  I had to learn this one in Meats class :-\\  Canadian Bacon also comes from the loin of pork, but the pointy end is trimmed and it is wrapped in the thin layer of fat and has a different curing process.  Does this help???

those slices look more like thinly sliced pork chops. I've never seen those before and I found these which were called bacon steaks
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020txvIdJFg4BfR2jzbkF/SIG=12ae1samt/EXP=1233718769/**http%3A//www.welshmeatdirect.com/images/bacon_steaks.jpg

Those do come from the loin, which is where your pork chops do come from.... 

I like good belly bacon such as

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/BBQfan1/118-1827_IMG.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/02/09 at 10:06 pm

Did you see my reply, there was a place that looked to sell it????  It is from the loin of the pig. Just smoked and cured like bacon.  I had to learn this one in Meats class :-\\  Canadian Bacon also comes from the loin of pork, but the pointy end is trimmed and it is wrapped in the thin layer of fat and has a different curing process.  Does this help???
Those do come from the loin, which is where your pork chops do come from.... 

I like good belly bacon such as

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/BBQfan1/118-1827_IMG.jpg
now that's what I'm talkin about!  :) 

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/02/09 at 10:11 pm

If you're in the States, ask for "Canadian Bacon".  You should get a piece of smoked meat that can be thinly sliced, and will taste much like American Bacon, but with a very high meat-to-fat ratio.  (Before frying it, you may even need to add a little bit of your own fat, in the form of oil or butter, to the pan.)

If you're in Canada, ask for "Back Bacon".  You'll get the same cut of meat, but it'll be salt-cured, probably wrapped with a coating of "peameal" (or more typically, corn meal, but it's still called "pea meal" for historical reasons).  This is cooked whole (traditionally in about half an inch of sweet white wine or even ginger ale), and tastes very a little more like ham than bacon.

http://i42.tinypic.com/154h6c4.gif

As the diagram indicates, either version is delicious, although my bias is still towards the pork belly.  Conventional (pork belly) bacon-wise, I'm a 70/30 meat/fat guy myself.  Yep, I'm the jerk rummaging through every pack of bacon at the store to find the one magical pack that has the highest meat-to-fat ratio.  My only defense is that at least I try to put the bacon back in a semi-acceptable presentation for the next customer.

Heaven is a place where every frying pan has at least two slices of back bacon and two slices of 50/50 "streaky" (fatty) bacon.  The fat renders out of the fatty bacon, and adds its smoky goodness to the leaner back bacon.  But that pictures of the more lean belly bacon?  That's what I aim for.  That's heaven in a pan.  Renders out just enough fat to fry the eggs and hash browns in.  Pure fracking win.

Written By: Jessica on 02/02/09 at 10:36 pm

Oscar Meyer's center cut bacon is good if you like more meat than fat.  Hella expensive though. :P

Written By: karen on 02/03/09 at 7:03 pm

Did find this site stating for sale http://www.britishbacon.com/comersus6f/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=57

They do 'real' sausages as well.  Shame it's so far to North Carolina.  :\'(

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/03/09 at 7:07 pm

They do 'real' sausages as well.  Shame it's so far to North Carolina.  :\'(
Don't they ship???? 

Written By: karen on 02/03/09 at 7:13 pm

Don't they ship???? 

I think they do but I couldn't find a shipping price.

Their Heinz Baked Beans are expensive!

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/03/09 at 7:40 pm

I think they do but I couldn't find a shipping price.

Their Heinz Baked Beans are expensive!
It was the cheapest for the bacon, atleast compared to other websites.  I put 6 packages (3 lbs) of bacon in the cart and there is a shipping calculator, I just picked a random zipcode in Conn.  and the shipping by fed ex was around $45 :-\\  I am not sure if it gets cheaper as you buy larger quantities, "stock up and save" sort of way.... If you have the room to do that.  I am still trying.

Written By: karen on 02/03/09 at 7:43 pm

It was the cheapest for the bacon, atleast compared to other websites.  I put 6 packages (3 lbs) of bacon in the cart and there is a shipping calculator, I just picked a random zipcode in Conn.  and the shipping by fed ex was around $45 :-\\  I am not sure if it gets cheaper as you buy larger quantities, "stock up and save" sort of way.... If you have the room to do that.  I am still trying.

Maybe I could get everyone here to club together and get one huge shipment. 

I have a really small freezer (IMO, although most other housese seem to have a similar size  :-\\ ) and it's currently filled with stuff from the Omaha Steak place

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/03/09 at 7:56 pm

Maybe I could get everyone here to club together and get one huge shipment. 

I have a really small freezer (IMO, although most other housese seem to have a similar size  :-\\ ) and it's currently filled with stuff from the Omaha Steak place
I can't talk, I have 2 large freezers (1 upright, 1 chest)...  Have to hold my freezer corn, applesauce, and all the meat stuff ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/07/09 at 11:12 pm

How did we miss bacon cinnamon rolls?

Seriously, how did we miss this?

And why aren't you eating one right now?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/08/09 at 12:26 am

experiencing pleasures beyond any we've ever experienced before. that's awesome  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/09 at 1:07 am

Is that icing or bacon grease  ;D

Written By: karen on 04/08/09 at 6:50 pm

I am happy.  Stop and Shop have started stock Irish Bacon again

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/08/09 at 8:23 pm

That last one - looks MI -T Fine 8)

I am thinking about trying these for Easter Brunch - OMG

Yes I will have to ship them to you Q- along with the Hog Wings  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/09 at 8:46 pm

That last one - looks MI -T Fine 8)

Yes I will have to ship them to you Q- along with the Hog Wings  ;)

YES!!!  8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/08/09 at 9:12 pm

YES!!!  8)

they will be a lot harder to ship though- found dry ice supplier - I just have to have time to go get it  :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/08/09 at 11:40 pm

Is that icing or bacon grease  ;D

"Yes."

...served as dessert after eggs benedict.  If all the bacon's gone, there's always ham, and ham's always appropriate for Easter!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/22/13 at 12:04 am

Saw this on Facebook, thought of this thread

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/969109_557805854262266_1741194566_n.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 05/22/13 at 10:56 am

Saw this on Facebook, thought of this thread

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/969109_557805854262266_1741194566_n.jpg

O0

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/13 at 1:52 pm

I'd eat the Statue of Liberty if it was made out of bacon!
8)

Written By: Howard on 05/22/13 at 2:58 pm

8)

I'd do the same.

Written By: wildcard on 05/22/13 at 10:25 pm

IT'S  BACON !!!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/23/13 at 12:11 am

8)

I can find a bacon statue.

http://static.neatorama.com/images/2011-08/bacon-statue.jpg

I can find a bacon statue of Kevin Bacon.

http://forward.com/workspace/assets/images/articles/b-shmooze-kevin-bacon-093010.png

O say, yes that star-spangled bacon still waves...

http://www.eatmedaily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/meat-flag2.jpg

O'er th---wait, nothing?  really?INTERNET.  Y U NO MAKE STATUE OF LIBERTY OUT OF BACON?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loxe2m5kyG1qdnekk.jpg

/smashes guitar and walks off the baseball diamond.
//while glancing ominously at a coat hanger that could become a wireframe model for Lady Liberty, around which bacon could be wrapped...

Written By: Howard on 05/23/13 at 7:52 am

I can find a bacon statue.

http://static.neatorama.com/images/2011-08/bacon-statue.jpg

I can find a bacon statue of Kevin Bacon.

http://forward.com/workspace/assets/images/articles/b-shmooze-kevin-bacon-093010.png

O say, yes that star-spangled bacon still waves...

http://www.eatmedaily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/meat-flag2.jpg

O'er th---wait, nothing?  really?INTERNET.  Y U NO MAKE STATUE OF LIBERTY OUT OF BACON?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loxe2m5kyG1qdnekk.jpg

/smashes guitar and walks off the baseball diamond.
//while glancing ominously at a coat hanger that could become a wireframe model for Lady Liberty, around which bacon could be wrapped...

that's really cool.

Written By: Inertia on 05/23/13 at 9:04 am

Bacon is delicious -- especially on pizza. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...