inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird "protein" drink from the 70s

Written By: snozberries on 01/31/08 at 2:09 am

I'd be surprised if anyone remembers this but I guess it's worth a shot.

When I was in 5th or 6th grade (78 or 79)

I had a recipe from a kids magazine like Highlights... it probably wasn't highlights I'm not sure

I know the drink was like a protein shake... it had milk, honey, maybe a bannana or an egg... but am not sure about that.

If you don't know what I'm talking about its okay but if you remember this drink please share.

Q

Subject: Re: Weird "protein" drink from the 70s

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/08 at 8:14 am

I'd be surprised if anyone remembers this but I guess it's worth a shot.

When I was in 5th or 6th grade (78 or 79)

I had a recipe from a kids magazine like Highlights... it probably wasn't highlights I'm not sure

I know the drink was like a protein shake... it had milk, honey, maybe a bannana or an egg... but am not sure about that.

If it was supposed to be a protein shake, it probably did have an egg... yuck!  Never could understand how people could drink them raw.  I bet they couldn't even print the recipe now, because raw eggs are supposed to have bad bacteria that should be cooked to kill.

Doesn't seem like something Highlights would have that kind of recipe, though I do know they print recipes in there.

Written By: Jessica on 01/31/08 at 10:10 am

If it was supposed to be a protein shake, it probably did have an egg... yuck!  Never could understand how people could drink them raw.  I bet they couldn't even print the recipe now, because raw eggs are supposed to have bad bacteria that should be cooked to kill.

I heard that the bacteria itself lives on the outside of the egg and only gets into the egg when you crack it. A good wash of the shell is supposed to prevent it.

Either way, I'm still not eating a raw egg. :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/08 at 10:28 am

I heard that the bacteria itself lives on the outside of the egg and only gets into the egg when you crack it. A good wash of the shell is supposed to prevent it.

Either way, I'm still not eating a raw egg. :D

I think of the scene in Napoleon Dynamite when he worked on the chicken farm, and part of his compensation was egg sandwiches and a pitcher of egg yolks.  Since I can't stand eggs, that was probably the grossest thing I'd seen in a movie in ages.

The recipe snozzberries is trying to think of, makes me also think the kids magazines were capitalizing on Rocky drinking the eggs in the first movie.

Written By: Jessica on 01/31/08 at 10:47 am

I think of the scene in Napoleon Dynamite when he worked on the chicken farm, and part of his compensation was egg sandwiches and a pitcher of egg yolks.  Since I can't stand eggs, that was probably the grossest thing I'd seen in a movie in ages.

Oh man, that part was frickin' nasty. 8-P

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/08 at 11:14 am

Oh man, that part was frickin' nasty. 8-P

Not as bad as the milk tasting, when he identifies one as having urine in it.

Written By: snozberries on 01/31/08 at 4:08 pm

Doesn't seem like something Highlights would have that kind of recipe, though I do know they print recipes in there.

lol if it did have an egg in it...I really don't remember... it only had one. and it would have been blended into the drink so you didn't taste it.

I'm not sure it was highlights but I couldn't think of any other kids magazines... this was before Nickelodeon. 

I think it might have been highlights tho because...even though I was too old for highlights I totally loved Goofus and Gallant and that family what was their name...they were always so cooperative with one another... anyway. I loved this stuff so I read highlights longer than I should have.

Check for new replies or respond here...