inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Junk Food lowers stress!

Written By: snozberries on 01/31/08 at 8:46 pm

I love Australians! 

Australia univ. research shows junk food may lower stress levels+

Jan 29 10:13 PM US/Eastern

SYDNEY, Jan. 30 (AP) - (Kyodo)—Gorging on fatty comfort food is not healthy, but new research in Australia has shown that it does appear to lower stress levels, a University of New South Wales pharmacology professor said Wednesday.

The research, led by Margaret Morris and conducted on laboratory rats, found rodents put on a lard-laden junk food diet, including cakes, chips and pies, were less stressed than those on a low fat diet.

The findings, presented at this week's Australian Neuroscience Society conference in Hobart, Tasmania, could partially explain the modern obesity epidemic and why some people tend to eat junk food when they are stressed, Morris said.

To test the theory, the rats were taken from their mothers as babies and then weaned on either low or high fat diets.

Several behavioral tests were carried out, including one using bright lights, which showed the lard-filled rodents had a higher tolerance to the glare and therefore lower stress levels.

The rats that ate junk food also displayed lower levels of depression than their healthy counterparts, Morris said.

The rat is a good model when it comes to measuring how humans react to stress and appetite, she added.

"The pathways that stimulate both stress and appetite are quite similar in both rats and humans. There are the same chemicals and same parts of the brain that do similar things," Morris said.

The findings supported other overseas studies which have already shown that people tend to eat high calorie food when they are stressed, and could have broad implications, she said.

"If we could find something that would naturally stimulate the same process, then we may have an excellent way of reducing stress and improving things like obesity and depression."

Morris also noted the research could also be applied to people with drug and alcohol addictions, who relapse when they are in a stressful environment because they are seeking comfort.

"This is the really exciting part about this work, that perhaps there are links in the brain between the types of responses that drive people to overeat, and also drive them to take other substances," she said.

Morris and her university colleagues are now continuing the research, to identify which parts of the brain are affected by the high fat diet.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UFUNPG1&show_article=1

Subject: Re: Junk Food lowers stress!

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/08 at 1:39 pm

I believe it... hope they find something to duplicate the behavior without the need to gorge on Twinkees.

Written By: ninny on 02/01/08 at 9:47 pm

If this was true,I will be stress free for several years,I just lowered some right now with a Hostess cupcake ;D

Written By: musicmike on 02/02/08 at 8:51 pm

I  just had a pop tart. I love it.

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/08 at 9:58 pm

If this was true,I will be stress free for several years,I just lowered some right now with a Hostess cupcake ;D

O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/08 at 6:39 am

Does Junk Food lower anything else?

Written By: Stompgal on 02/03/08 at 12:21 pm

Once when I was feeling stressed, I ate some pizza and afterwards I felt better. Food perks me up, whether it is junk food or healthy food. My former key worker once admitted that curry is his comfort food and he eats it if he feels stessed or grumpy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/08 at 12:24 pm

If we have to take a long car journey with an early start in the morning. In order to make the journey easier (and happier) we always have a breakfast at a fast food restaurant.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/05/08 at 6:04 pm

*munches on chocolate chip cookie*  That's wonderful news.  :)

Written By: wildcard on 02/05/08 at 6:21 pm

Chocolate chip cookies always seem to make me feel better and I've heard in the past that chocolate will do that.  I wonder if food of any kind would boost your energy and help you deal with stress.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/05/08 at 6:26 pm

Chocolate chip cookies always seem to make me feel better and I've heard in the past that chocolate will do that.  I wonder if food of any kind would boost your energy and help you deal with stress.

Yep and they're cheaper than medication.

Written By: wildcard on 02/05/08 at 10:38 pm

Yep and they're cheaper than medication.

I'll take the horrid fatening chocolate over the side affect mind altering pill.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rainote.gif Although shes not really ill there's this little yellow pill     

It will help you on your way to your busy dieing day

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/08 at 12:19 am

I'm slightly insulted that tests were performed on rats instead of humans, but nonetheless, I'm pleased to read about these findings as I am a fan of junk food and although I am not sure I believe the research, it does seem to help reduce feelings of guilt. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/08 at 2:57 am

Is eating junk food better than retail therapy?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/06/08 at 5:54 pm

That's a toss up.  Both are highly beneficial. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/08 at 8:16 pm

depends on what the Doctor prescribes

That's a toss up.  Both are highly beneficial. :)
why not do both and reap the healing benifits of both

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/06/08 at 8:21 pm

depends on what the Doctor prescribes
why not do both and reap the healing benifits of both

The mall and the food court.  Gosh, one stop.http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/graemlins/w00t.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/08 at 8:23 pm

The mall and the food court.  Gosh, one stop.http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/graemlins/w00t.gif
I think there may some truth to it  ::)  maybe we should do our own research

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/08 at 3:38 am

Is eating Junk Food pleasurable?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/08 at 5:12 pm

Is eating Junk Food pleasurable?

Yes, if done at your own leisure. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/08 at 5:18 pm

Yes, if done at your own leisure. :)
What if you get paid to eat it?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/08 at 5:20 pm

What if you get paid to eat it?

Even better still. :)

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/08 at 8:42 pm

A friend just brought me McDonalds and I am not feeling the least bit stressed about eating it!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/08 at 5:01 am

Even better still. :)
Super size me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/08 at 5:02 am

A friend just brought me McDonalds and I am not feeling the least bit stressed about eating it!  ;D
I am feeling stressed knowing that you are not stressed while eating your McDonalds.

Written By: snozberries on 02/10/08 at 4:21 pm

I am feeling stressed knowing that you are not stressed while eating your McDonalds.

;D  I just had some fries but not from McD's

Written By: Brigitte on 02/10/08 at 7:53 pm

I think eating any[/ food lowers your stress, that's why people are FAT.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/08 at 1:54 am

;D  I just had some fries but not from McD's
From the chippe around the corner?

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/08 at 9:34 pm

From the chippe around the corner?

something like that... I think... what's a chippie?  oh wait chips are fries so chippie must be like a fry joint...see I get yet

yeah exactly like that!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 2:03 am

something like that... I think... what's a chippie?   oh wait chips are fries so chippie must be like a fry joint...see I get yet

yeah exactly like that!  ;D
Correct, a chippie is a fish and chip shop.

Check for new replies or respond here...