inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody Here Like Bratwurst?

Written By: cinnabon on 02/20/08 at 6:27 pm

I love these German sausages, especially having grown up in Milwaukee where beer and brats are so popular.  Just like with a hot dog, the only topping I ever put on them is mustard ( I prefer yellow mustard, but brown dijon is OK too)

For those who have never tried one, a brat is sort similar to an Italian sausage in taste, but not as spicy.

Subject: Re: Anybody Here Like Bratwurst?

Written By: Step-chan on 02/20/08 at 7:15 pm

I think I've had some once or twice... they're good.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/20/08 at 7:17 pm

I love brats but only do them maybe twice a year (too much prep, lol).  Hot links I do much more frequently. Either way, I top them with ketchup, mustard (French's and Mister Mustard Hot) and diced onions.

Ant

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/20/08 at 7:50 pm

Brats are pretty good....haven't had one in a long time, though.

Written By: Gis on 02/21/08 at 7:51 am

YUM! Just about the only bit of my German heritage I do like, that an d beer of course.  ;D

Written By: KKay on 02/21/08 at 8:00 am

any kind of wurst is best!  i love it!

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/08 at 9:42 am

I'm afraid I haven't had a bratwurst, the closest I have had is salami or garlic sausage I think. Sounds tempting though. :)

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/21/08 at 11:25 pm

Brats are best boiled slowly in beer (Sam Adams is a good choice), then on to the weber and grilled to perfection/smothered in onions (you can add the onions to the brew for a really great flavor) and some spicy brown mustard on top.

Really, thats the ONLY way to have 'em, I'm pretty sure its a mid-west thing as most in the east and west have no idea of how to cook 'em.

A good cookout or baseball game is not complete without some Brats!  8)

Written By: karen on 02/26/08 at 8:05 am

This tends to be about the only sausage we buy because it's fairly similar to a British sausage.  I just grill (broil) them and serve with mash and vegetables.

Written By: ninny on 02/26/08 at 11:03 am

My husband is too picky I cooked the Cheddar Cheese kind and he told me never buy those again,I've been tempted to buy other kinds just to try them ;D

Written By: Hermann on 05/31/08 at 7:56 am

Brats are best boiled slowly in beer (Sam Adams is a good choice), then on to the weber and grilled to perfection/smothered in onions (you can add the onions to the brew for a really great flavor)

Just curious: Do you smother the sausages in the cooked onions? How long do you cook the sausages before putting them on the weber?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/31/08 at 1:25 pm

When I was in Germany, I used to love to go down to the imbiss (like a hot dog/ burger stand) and get a brat with a huge side of pommes frites (french fries) covered in mayonnaise.

I also used to enjoy grilling them but since I live in an apartment I can't have a grill, which is a real drag.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/31/08 at 2:51 pm

Love them! 

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/02/08 at 12:51 am

Just curious: Do you smother the sausages in the cooked onions? How long do you cook the sausages before putting them on the weber?

I can't speak for gumbypiz, but my answer would be "yes", and "a couple of hours".

I'm sure that a couple of hours is way longer than necessary.  My vice is taking 5 pounds of $2.50/lb pork shoulder (or in sliced form, sometimes sold as "country style boneless ribs"), a couple of big onions, a jar of sauerkraut, 2 cups of beer, and a cup of beef broth, and braising the whole shebang in a covered roasting pan at 200F for a 3-6 hours.

I don't know how those eight brats got in there in the first place, but over the afternoon, as the Germans' answer to pulled pork is simmering, a few of 'em always seem to get away.  Eight brats enter.  Four (never more than six!) brats leave.  I think it's something like how the number of socks you pull out of the dryer is always less than the number of socks you put into the dryer.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  And pay no attention to that mustard stain on my apron.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/02/08 at 12:59 am

I love these German sausages, especially having grown up in Milwaukee where beer and brats are so popular.  Just like with a hot dog, the only topping I ever put on them is mustard ( I prefer yellow mustard, but brown dijon is OK too)

For those who have never tried one, a brat is sort similar to an Italian sausage in taste, but not as spicy.
Love Brats, and just about every other sausage and for a topping, gimme French's classic yellow and that's just fine. I do like Guldens spicy brown,  & diced onions. At the Oakland Colisuem where the A's and Raiders play, I always get a sausage at "The Sausage Hut" inside the ballpark. Brats are the first choice, but really, any sausage wil do and they are all good. the usual condiments are there and they offer grilled onions and bell peppers on top if you want. it's not bad that way, in fact it's quite good.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/02/08 at 1:47 am

I can't speak for gumbypiz, but my answer would be "yes", and "a couple of hours".

I'm sure that a couple of hours is way longer than necessary.  My vice is taking 5 pounds of $2.50/lb pork shoulder (or in sliced form, sometimes sold as "country style boneless ribs"), a couple of big onions, a jar of sauerkraut, 2 cups of beer, and a cup of beef broth, and braising the whole shebang in a covered roasting pan at 200F for a 3-6 hours.

I don't know how those eight brats got in there in the first place, but over the afternoon, as the Germans' answer to pulled work is simmering, a few of 'em always seem to get away.  Eight brats enter.  Four (never more than six!) brats leave.  I think it's something like how the number of socks you pull out of the dryer is always less than the number of socks you put into the dryer.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  And pay no attention to that mustard stain on my apron.

Sounds good to me.  So when am I coming over for dinner?  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/03/08 at 11:08 pm

Sounds good to me.  So when am I coming over for dinner?  ;D

As soon as I come up with a good one-liner, but since that took me two days, how about as soon as the bacon gets here?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/03/08 at 11:23 pm

As soon as I come up with a good one-liner, but since that took me two days, how about as soon as the bacon gets here?

Holy hell that's awesome!  :o 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/03/08 at 11:54 pm

after reading and posting in this thread, I went to the store and bought some brats and buns, cooked them up on the stove, they were sizzlin good in the pan, and I had a couple last night

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/01/08 at 12:12 pm

I would not have ever believed that you would have to explain what a bratwurst (brat) was.  Growing up in extreme northern illinois Brats were a staple - everywhere had them.  now I am in southern Iowa and I can not get a restraunt that serves them - unless I go to amana or pella (german colonies). I grew up on Brats - I hate burgers but I love brats, polish sausages, hot dogs, old fashioned weiners, the list goes on and on - if it is a sausage I guess i will like it.  :-\\

Written By: Michael C. on 03/22/09 at 5:04 pm

Me too !
I make them for My Daughter's Boyfriend,He love's 'em too.{She doesn't}

Love them! 

Written By: anabel on 03/23/09 at 9:17 pm

I would not have ever believed that you would have to explain what a bratwurst (brat) was.  Growing up in extreme northern illinois Brats were a staple - everywhere had them.  now I am in southern Iowa and I can not get a restraunt that serves them - unless I go to amana or pella (german colonies). I grew up on Brats - I hate burgers but I love brats, polish sausages, hot dogs, old fashioned weiners, the list goes on and on - if it is a sausage I guess i will like it.   :-\\

I grew up in Naperville, IL, just outside of Chicago!  And I have family in Kenosha, WI, so brats are a big favorite for me too!  Now I live in Florida and no one eats them.  Well, transplanted people from up North, like me, but no one in the South even knows what they are.   I make them when we have friends over for football and they love it-we make beer brats and cheddar brats.  Sometimes if I get desperate for one I'll nuke a cheddar one and have it on a hot dog bun just for the heck of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...