inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Food Disasters

Written By: Brigitte on 03/26/08 at 10:17 pm

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/foods/Chef-Ramsay-Horrified.jpg
I had a few drinks the other night and I got hungry so I decided to make a baked potato. I then fell asleep...
I found it in the oven the next day. It had shrunk to the size of a small lime & when I picked it up, it crumbled into black charcoal!
I'd like to hear your stories of your cooking disasters, even if it's burnt toast. 8-P

Subject: Re: Food Disasters

Written By: KKay on 03/27/08 at 7:27 am

that was a great story. you could have gone with 'drunken food disasters"

i find it's dangerous to cook while lit...but i can do some awesome burritos under the influence...

disasters? lemme think

Written By: Tia on 03/27/08 at 7:58 am

once i got the munchies  ;) and made macaroni noodles in tomato sauce and tried to make a sandwich out of them by putting them between two slices of wheat bread. it was gross. i was hungry enough to eat it though.

Written By: Jessica on 03/27/08 at 10:36 am

I don't think I've done any disasters yet, but Rice almost set the microwave on fire with a French bread pizza. To be fair though, he was tired from keeping me sane during 12 hours of labor, but my mom said the house stunk of burnt pizza for a couple of days. :D

Written By: KKay on 03/27/08 at 9:13 pm

I put a london broil in the broiler but i forgot to toss the little pad that they put under the meat to soak up the liquid.  I put the meat on the pan with the plastic thing right in between.  the stuff melted, and stunk up the place.  it turned into thick plastic goo and was never to be removed.
and don't tell anyone that I lied about the smell and served the meat.

it's expenseiv and it wasn't affected.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/29/08 at 9:55 am

When I first moved out on my own and was trying different things, I developed a craving for a lemon merengue pie (I'd done them before at my parents house).  So I baked the frozen pie crust as directed, prepared the lemon filling exactly as called for, and things were looking great.  Then it was time for the merengue.  I had the sudden realization that I had nothing to beat the egg whites with.  Not to be outdone, I spotted my blender sitting on the counter and thought, 'that's worth a try'.  So I made the ill fated attempt to create merengue in the blender.  Needless to say, it got slightly beat, but nowhere near the required puffy consistency.  Why I continued, who knows, but in a fit of stupidity I poured the 'merengue' onto the pie.  What I didn't expect was for it to sink down into the pie, all through it, turning it into a lemon goo mess.  :P

I don't recall what I did with the pie after that.  Needless to say, my advice to you the reader is, never try to make egg-white merengue in a blender!  ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/29/08 at 8:11 pm

During the cooking unit in Home Ec in the 8th grade, we were put in groups of four, and our assignment one day was rather simple - prepare and bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies. A few minutes after the cookies were put in the oven, we realized we forgot to put the eggs in the batter! Furthermore, we put the oven at a temperature higher than required, and our cookies came out looking like charcoal. Our teacher made an example of all of us by showing our disaster to all the other Home Ec classes as a way of telling them what NOT to do when baking cookies!  :-[ ;D

Written By: mary on 03/31/08 at 9:04 pm

Hmmm. I had no huge ones i had disaster this morning, it was my day off today my house was spotless and it was a rainy day and there were tons of 80s sitcoms on. i started to make two eggs over easy i broke one of the yolks so i cooked that and gave it to my parrot, then i put in another egg this one i dropped on the floor while moving from pan to plate, my dog ate that one so i had to make one more that came out ok.

a while back i made brownies from scratch (no box) second time i make them and bring them over to my brother's for valentines day i was rushing and forgot to add the vanilla they tasted like sugar free brownies and had a coconutty taste, not too bad

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/01/08 at 9:43 pm

Man, I had an egg disaster.

My friend and I wanted to really see if an egg would explode in the microwave...

And it did...

It took three hours to clean the Samsung Microwave, while my mother yelled at us! LOL!

Then I had two really stupid moments.

I tried to warm a glass of milk, and when I took the GLASS out of the microwave, the entire bottom seprated, fell out and hot milk went everywhere.

Then I was making a cup of instant cocoa and left the METAL spoon in the cup as it went around. It didn't blow up--Thank God--but it scared me when I pulled the mug out and there was a hot spoon.

I just stick to Orville Redenbacker's popcorn and frozen meals for the microwave now. LOL!

Written By: Davester on 04/01/08 at 11:11 pm

I tried to do the hardboiled eggs thing, too.  But it was no experiment...

It was freakin' loud!  I mean it sounded like gunshots...

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/02/08 at 4:50 pm

* I had a roommate who was always cooking some unique things and once she'd made some really good stuffed zucchini boats with pine nuts and raisins.  I wanted to try making it at home with my mom for our church's potluck lunch so I searched online for a recipe that looked similar.  Unfortunately this recipe was missing the most important thing: bread crumbs!!! So the stuffed zucchini ended up being really runny and the worst part was that my mom cut it into small pieces after baking it and still brought it to the lunch.  A lot of people made faces at it  :-[

* My first attempt making chicken curry (which I also wanted to make for church) I used WAY too much turmeric and the chicken had an eery green glow.  LOL

* The few times that I have attempted making chicken fried steak it has never worked.  The recipes I had didn't call for any marinating or seasoning of the cube steak other than salt and pepper.  And then dipping it in egg and then flour, the coating would just fall off the steak once it was in the oil.  Every time I ended up with really dry meat that didn't look a thing like chicken fried steak. 

I've become a much better cook since these disasters and have made successful curries and stuffed zucchini but I haven't even tried the CFS again.  I just don't know I'll ever figure it out!!!

* Here's a disaster from the hubby: He cooks really good Bengali/Indian food and is always trying different things and they usually turn out great.  But he bought a pressure cooker to make goat meat and unfortunately did not understand the concept of how a pressure cooker works.... so he kept the meat in the cooker the same amount of time he'd cook it in a regular stew pot.  Needless to say once he opened the pot everything was carmelized and the whole place smelt horrible for days!

Written By: Bobby on 04/03/08 at 7:31 am

Man, I had an egg disaster.

My friend and I wanted to really see if an egg would explode in the microwave...

And it did...

It took three hours to clean the Samsung Microwave, while my mother yelled at us! LOL!

Ha ha, my uncle did that!  :D ;D

The worst for me was when I have taken stuff out of the microwave/oven and it is hot on the outside but stone cold in the middle. The worst feeling ever, lol.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...