inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help.....Grilled Mahi Mahi?

Written By: loki 13 on 04/12/08 at 10:20 am

Has anyone grilled Mahi Mahi for themselves. Tomorrow I will be grilling Mahi Mahi for the first time and I
haven't a clue what works best. I've been to dozen's of websites but nothing really appealed to me. Usually
when I grill fish I use aluminum foil to cook the fish with spices and other ingredients, would this be acceptable
or should I put the fish directly on the grill?

Any help, especially with marinades or sauces, would greatly be appreciated.

Subject: Re: Help.....Grilled Mahi Mahi?

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/12/08 at 5:22 pm

Has anyone grilled Mahi Mahi for themselves. Tomorrow I will be grilling Mahi Mahi for the first time and I
haven't a clue what works best. I've been to dozen's of websites but nothing really appealed to me. Usually
when I grill fish I use aluminum foil to cook the fish with spices and other ingredients, would this be acceptable
or should I put the fish directly on the grill?

Any help, especially with marinades or sauces, would greatly be appreciated.

I usually make swordfish (broiled) but this should work for Mahi Mahi (even if you grill it):

Marinatee with lime juice, a little tequila and some minced garlic.  It doesn't have to marinade too long and only takes about 4-5 minutes (broiled) on each side.  I generally top this with chopped strawberries and lay it on a lemon-squirted rice - yum.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/12/08 at 6:08 pm

Hey Ladybug, I like the sound of the presentation you have got for the fish. Sounds like something Bobby Flay would do! I think I might try it myself!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/chef.gif

Written By: loki 13 on 04/12/08 at 6:10 pm

I usually make swordfish (broiled) but this should work for Mahi Mahi (even if you grill it):

Marinatee with lime juice, a little tequila and some minced garlic.  It doesn't have to marinade too long and only takes about 4-5 minutes (broiled) on each side.  I generally top this with chopped strawberries and lay it on a lemon-squirted rice - yum.

Sounds good, thanks. This is a first for me, usually I grill flounder or bluefish, the easy fish to grill. Being my birthday tomorrow
my wife wanted to make a special dinner, I stand corrected, she wanted me to make a special dinner for the entire family so
we decided on a surf and turf. Mahi Mahi, baby back ribs, pork chops and T-bone steaks with corn on the cob and a nice salad.
looks like my tomorrow afternoon will be busy.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/12/08 at 10:04 pm

You have to cook on your own birthday - jeez!  I hope it's a great one.  Good luck with the meal!

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/12/08 at 10:05 pm

Hey Ladybug, I like the sound of the presentation you have got for the fish. Sounds like something Bobby Flay would do! I think I might try it myself!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/chef.gif
Thanks, although I cannot take credit for the recipe.  I am certainly no Bobby Flay  ;D.  I found it in a cookbook many moons ago.  Karma for Chef Smiley, I love that little guy.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/13/08 at 8:00 am

You have to cook on your own birthday - jeez!  I hope it's a great one.  Good luck with the meal!

Only because my wife and daughter are afraid to ruin such an expensive meal, they rather I ruin it instead.  ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/13/08 at 11:26 am

;D and happy birthday.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/13/08 at 11:58 am

Sounds good, thanks. This is a first for me, usually I grill flounder or bluefish, the easy fish to grill. Being my birthday tomorrow
my wife wanted to make a special dinner, I stand corrected, she wanted me to make a special dinner for the entire family so
we decided on a surf and turf. Mahi Mahi, baby back ribs, pork chops and T-bone steaks with corn on the cob and a nice salad.
looks like my tomorrow afternoon will be busy.

Can I come over to your house for dinner?  :D

I love Mahi Mahi, but have not had it in years.  It's found all around the waters here and is a very good, mild fish...

Hope your meal is a success, Kevin!  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 04/13/08 at 12:33 pm

Can I come over to your house for dinner?  :D

I love Mahi Mahi, but have not had it in years.  It's found all around the waters here and is a very good, mild fish...

Hope your meal is a success, Kevin!  :)

Absolutely Karen, all are welcome ot my table.  ;D  ;D

My ribs are already smoking, The Boy is tending to them.

The Mahi Mahi is new to me, I will be sure to post to say how it turned out.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/13/08 at 7:05 pm

Thanks again, this worked out really well. I substituted a little Italian dressing for the tequila and didn't have any strawberries
but other than that I did everything else. It was a big hit at dinner and everyone walked away from the table loosening their
pants.  ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/13/08 at 8:03 pm

Thanks again, this worked out really well. I substituted a little Italian dressing for the tequila and didn't have any strawberries
but other than that I did everything else. It was a big hit at dinner and everyone walked away from the table loosening their
pants.  ;D
Loosening their pants?  So it WAS a crazy birthday  ;)  I'm glad it turned out to be a nice day.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/26/08 at 8:01 pm

How ironic is it that I stumble across this board when I've been planning on making Mahi for the first time myself!  I was going to make it today but the hubby wanted pasta instead.

I found a recipe that called for marinating it with lime juice with blended orange juice and jalapeno, then grilling it and topping with mango & tomatillo salsa.  My questions for ladybug and loki since it seems you both have experience making mahi: Is it okay to turn it over when cooking it or does it fall apart too easily? Also I don't have a regular outdoor grill- I use an electric indoor grill.  Not a GF type grill cuz to me that squishes out all the flavor (at least for hamburgers and steak)  So for future reference, I noticed loki you said you like to put the fish & spices in aluminum foil: is that safe to do with an indoor grill or will that just ruin it?

Check for new replies or respond here...