inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Brand of Ice Cream

Written By: ninny on 04/21/08 at 11:56 am

I love Ice Cream(I'm sure you can tell by looking at me) and was wondering what name brand people liked.
lately I have been eating alot of Turkey Hill and Perry's.
Little side question Does anyone remember Sealtest Ice Cream?my mom use to buy that all the time. :P

Subject: Re: Favorite Brand of Ice Cream

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/21/08 at 12:20 pm

I love Ice Cream(I'm sure you can tell by looking at me) and was wondering what name brand people liked.
lately I have been eating alot of Turkey Hill and Perry's.
Little side question Does anyone remember Sealtest Ice Cream?my mom use to buy that all the time. :P

I prefer HD but will eat anything (I'm no snob).

I haven't heard the name Sealtest in YEARS!  We always bought that brand.

Written By: Gis on 04/21/08 at 12:28 pm

I LOVE  ice cream YUM.

Speaking from the U.K my favourite is Kelly's Cornish Ice Cream or Thornton's.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/21/08 at 2:30 pm

From the list, I chose Baskin-Robbins...but I really only have it on the rare occasion...

Of the regular store brands, I prefer Blue Bunny best... :)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/08 at 2:43 pm

Whatever is on sale. Out of the brands listed, I probably like Breyer's the best, especially the coffee and strawberry flavors.

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/08 at 2:48 pm

Any brand does me fine!

Written By: Davester on 04/21/08 at 2:52 pm

Ben & Jerry's (which I'm enjoying right now - Chunky Monkey, yum!) and Dreyer's...

Dreyers is a little pricey but it's the best ice cream in the supermarket freezer.  Ben & Jerry's is more of a convenience store thing...

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/08 at 2:53 pm

Almost forgot Dippin' Dots: really expensive but good ice cream.

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/08 at 2:55 pm

General I avoid Mr Whippy!

Written By: Step-chan on 04/21/08 at 2:59 pm

I like Ben & Jerry's, Haagan Daas and Baskin Robbins the most.

Written By: cinnabon on 04/21/08 at 4:41 pm

From the list I picked Ben and Jerry's Haagen Daaz and Baskin Robbins; I also like going to Stone Cold Creamery once in a while where you get to create your own flavor and they make it right in front of you after you order it (even if it is a little pricey).  :)

Written By: Jessica on 04/21/08 at 5:40 pm

Whatever is on sale. Out of the brands listed, I probably like Breyer's the best, especially the coffee and strawberry flavors.

Ant

Yep. I go for whatever is on sale as well. When ice cream is costing you $6.29 a HALF gallon, you have to look for bargain brands or not buy it. Luckily, the grocery store we frequent usually has bargain ice cream, and usually in the lowfat or light region.

However, I do recommend the Haagen Daaz Toasted Coconut Sesame Brittle if you can find it. Oh my god, it is seriously addictive...and fattening. :P

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/21/08 at 5:58 pm

Blue Bunny is best ice cream I've ever had in my life! I saw it on Food Network, found it in the store and have been eating ever since. It is awesome!  ;D

Written By: ninny on 04/21/08 at 6:21 pm

Yep. I go for whatever is on sale as well. When ice cream is costing you $6.29 a HALF gallon, you have to look for bargain brands or not buy it. Luckily, the grocery store we frequent usually has bargain ice cream, and usually in the lowfat or light region.

However, I do recommend the Haagen Daaz Toasted Coconut Sesame Brittle if you can find it. Oh my god, it is seriously addictive...and fattening. :P

$6.29,WOW where I live we only pay $4.29 for Breyers and you can get Turkey Hill on sale for $2.89

Written By: ninny on 04/21/08 at 6:22 pm

From the list, I chose Baskin-Robbins...but I really only have it on the rare occasion...

Of the regular store brands, I prefer Blue Bunny best... :)

Blue Bunny is best ice cream I've ever had in my life! I saw it on Food Network, found it in the store and have been eating ever since. It is awesome!  ;D

Is Blue Bunny sold at Walmart?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/21/08 at 6:28 pm

Breyer's, Friendly's and Turkey Hill.

But, here in Southern CA, since I can't get the latter two, Baskin-Robbins (which I can do without sometimes) or Maggie Moo's (which my wallet can do without as well, but my son loves it).

Written By: ninny on 04/21/08 at 7:00 pm

Breyer's, Friendly's and Turkey Hill.

But, here in Southern CA, since I can't get the latter two, Baskin-Robbins (which I can do without sometimes) or Maggie Moo's (which my wallet can do without as well, but my son loves it).

Yeah I wasn't sure how well known Turkey Hill was,I live in NY and apparently Friendly's is only on the east coast.Another I listed Perry's is only in Ohio,PA & NY

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/21/08 at 7:50 pm

Is Blue Bunny sold at Walmart?

YES! I buy it at walmart all the time for like 3.50 per half gallon. Take my advice, try the Bunny Tracks. flavor (it's got chocolate and chocolate covered peanuts and caramel filled chocolate bunnies in it.)
It is AWESOME.  ;)

Written By: ninny on 04/21/08 at 8:02 pm

YES! I buy it at walmart all the time for like 3.50 per half gallon. Take my advice, try the Bunny Tracks. flavor (it's got chocolate and chocolate covered peanuts and caramel filled chocolate bunnies in it.)
It is AWESOME.  ;)

I should of known it was sold there,my sister-in-law had some for my niece's birthday party and she works at Walmart,duh where else would she have bought in it. :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/21/08 at 8:19 pm

I like all kinds of brands, Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Daz, Baskin Robbins, Dreyer's, and Blue Bunny. Cold Stone Creamery is great too, but a little expensive.

Of course I miss Thrifty ice cream. It never fails to bring back childhood memories. The Rite Aid stores sold it here but they all closed recently.

Written By: karen on 04/21/08 at 9:25 pm

I buy whatever is on sale.  Currently I have Breyer's vanilla and Edy's strawberry in the freezer.  I think I need to try more before I decide which is my favourite.

Written By: ninny on 04/22/08 at 12:50 pm

I buy whatever is on sale.  Currently I have Breyer's vanilla and Edy's strawberry in the freezer.  I think I need to try more before I decide which is my favourite.

I love Edy's strawberry,but Tim is a fussbudget so I hardly ever get a fruit flavored ice cream.

Written By: karen on 04/22/08 at 1:08 pm

I love Edy's strawberry,but Tim is a fussbudget so I hardly ever get a fruit flavored ice cream.

My children don't like 'funny' flavours so we buy the smallish tubs so we can have the good stuff and keep the vanilla for the children.

Written By: ninny on 04/22/08 at 3:08 pm

My children don't like 'funny' flavours so we buy the smallish tubs so we can have the good stuff and keep the vanilla for the children.

Yeah you really can't go wrong with Vanilla,some chocolate syrup or caramel on top.My husband and I both like Butter Pecan and lately I've been putting chocolate syrup and bananas on it,just like a sundae. :P :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/22/08 at 5:15 pm

Yeah you really can't go wrong with Vanilla,some chocolate syrup or caramel on top.My husband and I both like Butter Pecan and lately I've been putting chocolate syrup and bananas on it,just like a sundae. :P :)

I was fearless when it came to trying new flavors. One I plan to try in the future is one that they have at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in California. They have garlic ice cream. (It's really vanilla with a garlic note at the end)

But I like normal flavors too. I just have crazy taste. ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/22/08 at 5:53 pm

Yeah I wasn't sure how well known Turkey Hill was,I live in NY and apparently Friendly's is only on the east coast.Another I listed Perry's is only in Ohio,PA & NY

I am from Philly born and raised (cue Will Smith).

Written By: Jessica on 04/22/08 at 5:56 pm

$6.29,WOW where I live we only pay $4.29 for Breyers and you can get Turkey Hill on sale for $2.89

Found some at the store around the corner for $3. It was Edy's brand. :)

I was fearless when it came to trying new flavors. One I plan to try in the future is one that they have at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in California. They have garlic ice cream. (It's really vanilla with a garlic note at the end)

I'll try it for you. I'm from that area. :D

I won't be there for the actual festival, but the Artichoke Festival in May usually has the booth for garlic ice cream.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/22/08 at 6:34 pm

There's a new baked potato place in New York City called Totally Baked and they were giving out samples today of their "Sweet Potato Gellato".  It was quite good.

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/08 at 7:47 pm

Chapman's Ice Cream.  I see the trucks with the logo everywhere, and I just get hungry for Ice Cream lol

http://www.transcold.ca/media/catalog/sections/chapmanslogo.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/08 at 9:12 pm

I LOVE ICE CREAM!!!! Too much... I wish this poll had been on flavors rather than brands!  ;D

I like skinny cow... a recent discovery thanks to Oprah. 

I like all brands really... .one thing I have noticed tho is that the store brand neopolitan is much better than the name brand. Dreyers or Breyers neoplitan uses really rich flavors so the choc, vanilla & strawberry don't blend so well.... but in the store brands the flavors are not as rich so they make the perfect combination.

mmmm ice cream.

did  I tell you how I went to Cold STones last month and ordered their version of the banana split? The guy had never made one and he pulled out the half gallon container. I told him they usually use the big cup.... he shrugged and proceeded to put 8 scoops of sweet cream, topped it and then filled the rest with whipped  cream...  he forgot my cherry but I didn't complain... I really liked that guy!  ;D

Written By: saver on 04/22/08 at 9:27 pm

Breyers tastes like water and air

Baskin Robbins heir denounces his own chain as containing too many chemicals

I like the roadside stands that ell custard or something out of a machine they make themselves.

Ohio had a company(maybe defunct now) called Isley's(Isaly's??)They used to sell the syrup they made in cans, so if you moved out of town, you could order it to remind you of home!

Written By: wildcard on 04/22/08 at 10:16 pm

Dryers for the vanilla beans.  If it's choclate just give it to me.

Written By: Davester on 04/23/08 at 3:24 am

I like the roadside stands that ell custard or something out of a machine they make themselves.

Ohio had a company(maybe defunct now) called Isley's(Isaly's??)They used to sell the syrup they made in cans, so if you moved out of town, you could order it to remind you of home!

When I was a kid my aunt had one of those ice cream churn things - with the ice, rock salt, vanilla extract and heavy cream.  It was deeelish but a little watery...

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 7:30 am

I sometimes find that the local grocery store (Wegmans) brand of Ice Cream taste as good as the national brands,and with the price$2.49 a half gallon you can't go wrong.I also like Perry's which is made in Akron,NY

Custard stands are the best,In the summer we go once a week for custard or soft-serve. :P

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 7:33 am

When I was a kid my aunt had one of those ice cream churn things - with the ice, rock salt, vanilla extract and heavy cream.  It was deeelish but a little watery...

I've always wondered how it would taste,they propably have simpler ways of doing it now.

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 7:37 am

I'm not that fearless ;D

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 7:46 am

I LOVE ICE CREAM!!!! Too much... I wish this poll had been on flavors rather than brands!  ;D

I like skinny cow... a recent discovery thanks to Oprah. 

I like all brands really... .one thing I have noticed tho is that the store brand neopolitan is much better than the name brand. Dreyers or Breyers neoplitan uses really rich flavors so the choc, vanilla & strawberry don't blend so well.... but in the store brands the flavors are not as rich so they make the perfect combination.

mmmm ice cream.

did  I tell you how I went to Cold STones last month and ordered their version of the banana split? The guy had never made one and he pulled out the half gallon container. I told him they usually use the big cup.... he shrugged and proceeded to put 8 scoops of sweet cream, topped it and then filled the rest with whipped   cream...  he forgot my cherry but I didn't complain... I really liked that guy!  ;D

Hmm,how much does it cost to fly to California? ;D

I was looking up facts on ice cream brands and Dreyers is actually the same as Edy's on the east coast.

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 7:49 am

Found some at the store around the corner for $3. It was Edy's brand. :)

That's alot better than $6.29and Edy's has some good flavors :)

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 8:08 am

Dryers for the vanilla beans.  If it's choclate just give it to me.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/J-Dub_011/homerdrool.gif
Chocolate

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 8:10 am

Chapman's Ice Cream.  I see the trucks with the logo everywhere, and I just get hungry for Ice Cream lol

http://www.transcold.ca/media/catalog/sections/chapmanslogo.jpg

Do they sell in American brands near where you live?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/08 at 8:12 am

Chocolate
Mmmm, chocolate... D'oh! Mmmm, chocolate... D'OH! Marge, we need some more chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream!

Written By: whistledog on 04/23/08 at 8:15 am

Do they sell in American brands near where you live?

Loads

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 9:04 am

Mmmm, chocolate... D'oh! Mmmm, chocolate... D'OH! Marge, we need some more chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream!

This is true at our house,my husband would eat all the vanilla,I like all the kinds,my kids don't eat ice cream that much(they prefer soft-serve)my husband thinks buying it is a waste.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/08 at 9:05 am

This is true at our house,my husband would eat all the vanilla,I like all the kinds,my kids don't eat ice cream that much(they prefer soft-serve)my husband thinks buying it is a waste.
Our household just like the described Neapolitan ice cream.

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 9:06 am

There's a new baked potato place in New York City called Totally Baked and they were giving out samples today of their "Sweet Potato Gellato".  It was quite good.

I've never really had Gellato,only a sample once.

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 9:10 am

Our household just like the described Neapolitan ice cream.

My husband is into vanilla,maple walnut or butter pecan
I like chocolate,chocolate almond,butter pecan,french vanilla,strawberry,black cherry.mint chocolate chip,chocolate chip and in the summer peach.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/08 at 9:12 am

My husband is into vanilla,maple walnut or butter pecan
I like chocolate,chocolate almond,butter pecan,french vanilla,strawberry,black cherry.mint chocolate chip,chocolate chip and in the summer peach.
What kind of chocolate ice cream it is always the first to go.

Written By: ninny on 04/23/08 at 9:24 am

What kind of chocolate ice cream it is always the first to go.

Just plain chocolate,unless the kids eat some then chocolate chip or cookie dough.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/08 at 9:26 am

Just plain chocolate,unless the kids eat some then chocolate chip or cookie dough.
I never hardly see the Triple Chocolate my wife gets now.

Written By: wildcard on 04/23/08 at 10:52 am

Chocolate

doh!  thats me all right

I do like Neapolitan when the choclate is not gone. 

Written By: saver on 04/23/08 at 3:51 pm

I remember in NYC corners, they used to sell a square of Neoolitan on a  waffle..must've stopped due to health regs.??

Written By: snozberries on 04/24/08 at 1:35 am

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/08 at 1:56 am

;D

Great scene, we rolled around with laughter when we first saw this.

Written By: robby76 on 04/24/08 at 5:55 am

Baskin Robbins cos they have the healthy yoghurt / non-fat options (which at least make you think you're being healthy haha).

Their Raspberry Cheese Louise frozen yoghurt is sublime!

Written By: ninny on 04/24/08 at 6:35 am

Baskin Robbins cos they have the healthy yoghurt / non-fat options (which at least make you think you're being healthy haha).

Their Raspberry Cheese Louise frozen yoghurt is sublime!

That's sounds good :)

Written By: robby76 on 04/24/08 at 8:59 am

That's sounds good :)

It does indeed... raspberry cheesecake flavour with yummy biscuit dough for that added texture. And it's all low-fat yoghurt... can I get an amen!!!

I always get a tub with 2 scoops.

http://www.baskinrobbins.com.my/pix/r4.jpg

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/24/08 at 10:14 am

I love Baskin-Robbins pink bubble gum flavor that they have for one month each summer.

Written By: midnite on 04/24/08 at 10:50 pm

I rarely buy ice cream, but I recently purchased Edy's Cherry Chocolate Chip.  I havent opened it yet.  I sure hope it is good.

Written By: robby76 on 04/25/08 at 1:56 am

I rarely buy ice cream, but I recently purchased Edy's Cherry Chocolate Chip.  I havent opened it yet.  I sure hope it is good.

Anything with cherries in is okay by me.

Written By: ninny on 04/25/08 at 4:09 pm

I love Baskin-Robbins pink bubble gum flavor that they have for one month each summer.

I only had bubble gum ice cream once,it didn't really do much for me.

Written By: ninny on 04/25/08 at 4:10 pm

I tried it,and liked it,but heck I like lots of ice cream ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/25/08 at 6:33 pm

Have any of you tried an ice cream called "The Great Divide" by Blue Bell? I love it. It's half Homade Vanilla and Dutch Chocolate.  ;D

Imitating Rachael Ray: "Yum-o!"  ;D

Written By: ninny on 04/25/08 at 7:21 pm

Have any of you tried an ice cream called "The Great Divide" by Blue Bell? I love it. It's half Homade Vanilla and Dutch Chocolate.  ;D

Imitating Rachael Ray: "Yum-o!"  ;D

No.I haven't tried that.I'm not sure if they sell Blue Bell near me.

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/08 at 9:55 pm

No.I haven't tried that.I'm not sure if they sell Blue Bell near me.

I think they sell it in those Super WalMarts. You know the ones that have a grocery section too

Written By: ninny on 04/26/08 at 7:12 am

I think they sell it in those Super WalMarts. You know the ones that have a grocery section too

Our Wal-Mart has Blue Bunny Ice Cream..did she mean that.

Written By: ninny on 07/16/08 at 8:38 am

I just had some Edys Peach pie ice cream..I thought I died and went to Heaven :)

Written By: nally on 10/03/15 at 5:31 pm

I enjoy Haagen-Dazs, but I haven't had any in ages. Not even sure if it's still around.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/07/15 at 11:01 am

Hood, and Breyers. Now I want an ice cream cone.

Written By: Ripley on 10/16/15 at 3:17 pm

Blue Bunny

Check for new replies or respond here...