inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: heard Arbys was looking into the Wendys stock..possible merge?

Written By: saver on 04/24/08 at 9:21 pm

I thought lastyear McDonalds was concidering buying Wemdys but maybe just talks?

Anyone notice how Wendys never really had a slogan like McDonalds or Burger King(then again they always keep changing it)..
Arbys ever have one that caught on either?

Subject: Re: heard Arbys was looking into the Wendys stock..possible merge?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/24/08 at 9:29 pm

I thought lastyear McDonalds was considering buying Wendy's but maybe just talks?

Anyone notice how Wendy's never really had a slogan like McDonald's or Burger King(then again they always keep changing it)..

now that you mention it...Wendy's never did have the huge marketing techniques as McDonald's or Burger King. I mean...really, the only "character/spokesperson" they had was Dave Thomas...and the cartoon picture of Wendy... nothing like McDonald's with their myriad of advertising tactics...using Ronald McDonald and all of his friends (from everything to commercials, movies, cartoons, their faces on plates, cups, coloring books, figures, etc).

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/24/08 at 9:37 pm

now that you mention it...Wendy's never did have the huge marketing techniques as McDonald's or Burger King. I mean...really, the only "character/spokesperson" they had was Dave Thomas...and the cartoon picture of Wendy... nothing like McDonald's with their myriad of advertising tactics...using Ronald McDonald and all of his friends (from everything to commercials, movies, cartoons, their faces on plates, cups, coloring books, figures, etc).

you forgot "Where's the Beef?"  which is still far memorable than anything BK or McDonalds has done in decades

it's not a rumor at this point, Arby's is buying the company at a premium price to the share holders.  The management people in charge after Dave Thomas left just couldn't keep the magic alive.  Too bad really, because it's the only fast food place I'll still eat at, and I'm sure Arby's will not improve the chain.

Written By: Midas on 04/24/08 at 9:48 pm

"heard Arby'sh wuzh looking into da Wendy'sh shtock..posshible merge?"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/djmidas96/ARBYsdoublers.jpg

:D

I love that commercial.  I dig both Wendy's and Arby's.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/24/08 at 10:25 pm

you forgot "Where's the Beef?"  which is still far memorable than anything BK or McDonalds has done in decades

it's not a rumor at this point, Arby's is buying the company at a premium price to the share holders.  The management people in charge after Dave Thomas left just couldn't keep the magic alive.  Too bad really, because it's the only fast food place I'll still eat at, and I'm sure Arby's will not improve the chain.

Oh ya..that's right. How could I forget that? I think what I meant was that with McDonald's...they have always marketed their product via Ronald McDonald, in many shapes/forms...whereas there has never been a real mascot for Wendy's that they could make into cartoons/figures/etc.

Written By: midnite on 04/24/08 at 10:48 pm

Today I saw the headline on Bloomberg about this.  I was surprised that Arby's had enough $$$$ to buy Wendy's.  There are not many Arby's here in the northeast US.  Are they extremely popular elsewhere?

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/24/08 at 10:52 pm

The Wendy's commercial with the animated Wendy logo advertising their wraps was the first commercial from this company I've seen in a while.

Written By: saver on 04/24/08 at 11:20 pm

That slogan came and went(maybe since the woman died) - I don't know if it caught on that people remember it was WENDYS...because people related it to burgers. I'd hear people sayit no matter what place they had a burger but couldn't recall what chain did it...

Also I guess it meant to point out Wendys used square patties,McDonalds now is I'M LOVIN' IT...or McDonalds is a happy place...fom years ago..Then HAVE IT YOUR WAY AT BURGER KING...

Imagine working at WENDYS those days and people always saying that to you?

I think what I was ORIGINALLY getting at was no one could remember a mascot for WENDY..maybe until now when they are folding .BURGER 'KING' 'RONALD' MCDONALD,
'JACK' IN THE BOX.

Written By: whistledog on 04/24/08 at 11:34 pm

Arby's and Wendy's merge?  I don't think the world is ready for square shaped roast beef ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/24/08 at 11:40 pm

Arby's and Wendy's merge?  I don't think the world is ready for square shaped roast beef ;D

Maybe hamburgers sliced reeeally thin?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 04/24/08 at 11:41 pm

Maybe hamburgers sliced reeeally thin?  ???

Thin Horseradish flavoured burgers ;D

Written By: saver on 04/25/08 at 1:05 am

Well, at least they won't have to change the sign:  Arby+Wendys =  ARB +  YS

Written By: midnite on 04/27/08 at 12:54 pm

Well, at least they won't have to change the sign:   Arby+Wendys =   ARB +  YS

LOL.  or perhaps, ANDYS.  Wendy's brother will be the mascot.

Written By: saver on 04/27/08 at 4:05 pm

Arby's is a bit confused since the merger..they don't understand what those trucks are for that keep delivering 'real meat'! ;D

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/29/08 at 12:47 pm

IT HAPPENED.

THEY MERGED

INTO....

WARBY'S!!!!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42085000/jpg/_42085754_students_flee_ap.jpg

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: ninny on 04/29/08 at 2:21 pm

I thought lastyear McDonalds was concidering buying Wemdys but maybe just talks?

Anyone notice how Wendys never really had a slogan like McDonalds or Burger King(then again they always keep changing it)..

Well right now it's I'm Thinking Arbys..In the 1980's it was America's Roast Beef, Yes Sir..in a way their hat sign has always been their trademark.

Written By: midnite on 04/29/08 at 10:47 pm

I have been looking around recently as I have been driving and noticed that there are alot of new Arbys restaurants out there. 

Check for new replies or respond here...