inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hunts Versus Heinz

Written By: midnite on 04/24/08 at 10:52 pm

I grew up on Heinz ketchup.  Recently, Hunts ketchup was on sale so I tried it.  What a mistake.  I thought it was really sweet and funky tasting.  Not my thing.  Does anyone agree?

What is your favorite ketchup/catsup?

And, I wonder why some people call it ketchup and others catsup.

Subject: Re: Hunts Versus Heinz

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/24/08 at 11:37 pm

I'm not really into ketchup, but I usually preferred Heinz over Hunts.

I've always remembered it being called ketchup; I had seen it being called catsup occassionally when I was little.

Written By: whistledog on 04/24/08 at 11:40 pm

I only ever use Hunts when I go to a place to eat and that's all there is.  It tastes like it's really watered down.  Heinz is the only brand I trust when it comes to ketchup

Heinz also makes Mustard and Relish, which cam sometimes be purchased in a trio pack with the ketchup, which I never get.  For mustard, I always use French's and for Relish, it has to be Bick's

http://www.bicks.ca/img/prod_img2.jpghttp://www.bicks.ca/img/prod_img8.jpghttp://www.bicks.ca/img/prod_img6.jpghttp://www.bicks.ca/img/prod_img10.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/25/08 at 12:12 am

The only ketchup I will use is Heinz. All of the others have different flavors to them....and I can always tell the difference.

Written By: Henk on 04/25/08 at 12:25 am

Only Heinz for me.

There once was a Dutch commercial for Heinz where a couple were asked why they used Heinz and no other brand. Their answer was clear and simple: "Welke andere?" ("What Other?").
I would love to show you that one, but it doesn't seem to be available on YouTube.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/25/08 at 12:40 am

we mostly use Heinz ketchup, but occasionally will use Hunt's if it's on sale, and for my homemade BBQ sauce I always use Heinz Chili Sauce.

Written By: karen on 04/25/08 at 8:06 am

Always Heinz.  My children wouldn't have any other.

Wish we could easily get Heinz baked beans as well

Written By: Midas on 04/25/08 at 9:36 am

Always Heinz here too.  Hunts has some decent tomato sauce tho'.

Written By: Jessica on 04/25/08 at 9:53 am

Always Heinz. ALWAYS.

Written By: wildcard on 04/25/08 at 11:06 am

I perfer the Hunts when the two are compared but use both.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/25/08 at 11:58 am

Only Heinz

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/08 at 3:37 pm

The only ketchup I will use is Heinz. All of the others have different flavors to them....and I can always tell the difference.

you said it sister!

Written By: ninny on 04/25/08 at 4:07 pm

If I buy brand names it's Heinz.otherwise it's the stores brand.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/25/08 at 6:19 pm

I like ketchup. I don't have a particular favorite brand though.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/25/08 at 10:47 pm

Same here. Pennsylvanians tend to favor Heinz.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/26/08 at 1:26 am

Grew up with Heinz.  Still prefer it. 

Which is weird.  Because I grew up with French's bright yellow mustard -- and while I still love the stuff on a hot dog or sausage, I've grown to really love stone-ground and Dijon-style mustards.  I've stopped using the French's for putting a crust on hams, and alongside the French's, I've always got two or three small tubs of different mustards in the fridge, and I'll use each of them on different segments of the 'dog/sausage to enjoy the difference in flavors as I work my way through the bun.

I'd like to know why the same isn't true for ketchup.  Maybe it's easier to make small batches of mustard (all you need is seed and vinegar, and you can make vinegar out of a wide range of flavors if you start with wine) than ketchup.  I dunno.  I'm guessing here.  But as much as I dig the Heinz, I think I'm missing out on something.  Somewhere, someone must have done to ketchup (maybe by making it with heirloom or other varieties of tomatoes?  By using cane sugar or beet sugar (would honey work) instead of corn syrup?) what every little gourmet shop and winery seems to have done with mustard.  And I wanna find out what I'm missing.

Written By: Brigitte on 04/26/08 at 2:52 pm

This says it all...http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/foods/foodheinz-1.jpg

Written By: wildcard on 04/26/08 at 5:02 pm

I just opened the fridge and took out a bottle of Hunts and A bottle of Heinz Organic.  They both tasted like something that came from tomatoes.  I don't know what in is they put in or do with regular Heinz, but it has more of a sugary taste to me.  It doesn't taste as much like a tomatoe to me.  I like Heinz on pepper fries but usually perfer Hunts.   

Written By: Red Ant on 04/26/08 at 7:53 pm

Heinz. Hunts seems runny in comparison.

Ant

Written By: midnite on 04/27/08 at 12:52 pm

Only 2 people said that they prefer Hunts over Heinz.  This is a small sample size, but I wonder who is buying Hunts.  It must be popular somewhere.

Written By: wildcard on 04/27/08 at 7:15 pm

I Think Del Taco has packets of Hunts. 

Written By: karen on 04/27/08 at 7:17 pm

I just opened the fridge and took out a bottle of Hunts and A bottle of Heinz Organic.  They both tasted like something that came from tomatoes.  I don't know what in is they put in or do with regular Heinz, but it has more of a sugary taste to me.  It doesn't taste as much like a tomatoe to me.  I like Heinz on pepper fries but usually perfer Hunts.   

A friend said they bought Heinz organic instead of the regular stuff and their son complained that it didn't taste 'right'

Written By: wildcard on 04/28/08 at 11:47 am

A friend said they bought Heinz organic instead of the regular stuff and their son complained that it didn't taste 'right'

Heinz is thicker then Huntz and more sugery in taste.  Something is used to make it thick, nice, and smooth.  I Don't care if I katchup it runny I'd rather have something that tastes more natural to me.  If you like the extra corn syrup? taste have at it. 

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/08 at 6:06 pm

Most times, I would think it depends whats on sale.  For some people, if Huntz is cheaper than Heinz, then get Huntz

Written By: saver on 04/28/08 at 9:40 pm

Then there's Del Monte!

I think since sugar is everywhere...I believe we have it in MUSTARD too!

Written By: snozberries on 04/28/08 at 10:50 pm

I started thinking about this.. I will not use ketchup unless it is Heinz...with one exception... McDonald's ketchup. I don't know what brand of k. McD's uses but I know it has to be a McD's packet of ketchup on my burger. I will not put Heinz on a Big Mac...well I don't eat Big Mac I eat the kiddie burger but you get my point... Heinz on a McD's burger just doesn't blend well.

but every where else its Heinz....and French's Mustard...in case you want to know.

Written By: midnite on 04/29/08 at 10:49 pm

McDonalds ketchup is Heinz.  But is tastes a little different.  There is a slight VINEGAR taste to it.  It is actually good though.

It reminds me of "boardwalk fries" over here on the East Coast.  They pour vinegar over the "boardwalk fries" and it tastes great.

Written By: snozberries on 04/29/08 at 10:53 pm

McDonalds ketchup is Heinz.  But is tastes a little different.  There is a slight VINEGAR taste to it.  It is actually good though.

It reminds me of "boardwalk fries" over here on the East Coast.  They pour vinegar over the "boardwalk fries" and it tastes great.

If its heinz then its subpar heinz because I have used McD's packets and Wendy's Heinz packets and the tastes are definitely different

Written By: midnite on 04/30/08 at 5:43 pm

Are you a being snooty with ketchup?  LOL.  McDonalds ketchup seems watery.

Written By: snozberries on 04/30/08 at 7:16 pm

Are you a being snooty with ketchup?  LOL.  McDonalds ketchup seems watery.

I am definitely a ketchup snob  ;D  but more or less I think that McD's burgers tho tasty are not good enough to wear Heinz...they definitely need the McD's brand ketchup...which I honestly don't think is Heinz. 

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/17/08 at 3:27 am

Heinz
Its said only 4 peole in the entire world know the spice mix for the base ingredients!
Seen that on a Doc about the company....Hard to figure that out (why bother really)as spices "compliment" each other!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/08 at 4:16 pm

Heinz-one of the few things that I INSIST on the brand name (Hellman's is another one).

Cat

Written By: midnite on 06/20/08 at 12:13 am

I love Heinz and despise Hunts because of its sweetness.  Heinz makes a NO SALT ketchup, which I just bought.  Guess what?  It tastes just like Hunts - very sweet.  Not my thing. 

Written By: ninny on 06/21/08 at 11:22 am

Heinz-one of the few things that I INSIST on the brand name (Hellman's is another one).

Cat

I love Heinz and Hellman's..funny story..I just realized the other day that the ketchup we had been using(Tops brand) was the same damn ketchup we had for my sons graduation-birthday party :-[,I couldn't believe we had never used it up,so I had my husband stop at the store and get ketchup and mayo(which we were out of)and what does he come home with..Hunts and some generic brand of mayo 8-P

Written By: snozberries on 06/22/08 at 5:20 pm

I love Heinz and Hellman's..funny story..I just realized the other day that the ketchup we had been using(Tops brand) was the same damn ketchup we had for my sons graduation-birthday party :-[,I couldn't believe we had never used it up,so I had my husband stop at the store and get ketchup and mayo(which we were out of)and what does he come home with..Hunts and some generic brand of mayo 8-P

MEN! 

You can't live with em

and you can't let them do the shopping  ;D

Written By: Michael on 06/24/08 at 7:32 am

HEINZ is the only TRUE ketchup!!!! HELLMANS is the only TRUE Mayonnaise!  My mom used to give me Miracle Whip and I always thought it tasted weird, but did not know the difference until I learned that Miracle Whip is not even considered mayo, it's a SALAD DRESSING!!!!!!

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/01/08 at 11:51 am

DEL MONTE http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1blue1.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1blue1.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1blue1.gif
I grew up near a Del Monte plant, and I think this is regional thing.  I now live 14 miles from THE HEINZ plant and I can't stand Heinz ketchup. 

I also grew up with Kitchen Cooked potato chips - yummy.  And everyone hear loves Sterzings - and they are about the same thing (except sterzing's leave a funky film in your mouth http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad3.gif

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/24/08 at 10:35 pm

Heinz my old man swears he can tell the difference. Peanut butter too he will only eat Skippy

Written By: Stompgal on 08/25/08 at 6:12 am

I've never heard of the Hunts brand, so I'll go for Heinz. Some of my favourite products from Heinz incude Reduced Sugar and Salt Tomato Ketchup, Weigt Watchers From Heinz Chicken and Lemon Risotto and Baked Beans

Written By: midnite on 08/25/08 at 9:12 pm

I've never heard of the Hunts brand, so I'll go for Heinz. Some of my favourite products from Heinz incude Reduced Sugar and Salt Tomato Ketchup, Weigt Watchers From Heinz Chicken and Lemon Risotto and Baked Beans

You have never heard of Hunts?  Well, it is very sweet like the Heinz Reduced Salt ketchup.  It is too sweet for my tastes.  I like sweet things, but I like my ketchup more balanced.

Risotto sounds good. Mmmm.

Written By: karen on 08/27/08 at 10:36 am

You have never heard of Hunts? 

That's because Stompgal is from the UK and the Hunt's brand isn't available in the UK

Written By: midnite on 09/11/08 at 8:16 pm

Those UK people are very fortunate

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/12/08 at 12:45 am

Hunts is the cheapy crap ..resturants that serve it do it to save a buck but there is a big differance between the 2

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/14/08 at 12:08 pm

Cat

In my house its Heinz, Hellimans and Skippy. That having been said I currently have 1 bottle of Hunts, one Kraft mayo. They were bogo, how could I resist? I palm them off on the kids.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/02/08 at 4:20 pm

I think I prefer Heinz over Hunts. Hunts tastes beefier, if that makes any sense. Heinz has more of a sweeter tang to it, in which I like. There are some other off brands that I can't remember their names but that weren't too bad, either. I think one was owned by that food company Sysco.

Check for new replies or respond here...