inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I never had the "balls" to try this.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/22/08 at 2:09 am

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1059/554861855_bb694babb3.jpg?v=0

This is the Round The Bend Steakhouse near South Bend, Nebraska. I've stopped in there a few times and they had some good, greasy small town food. (I love cheeseburgers from small-town bar and grills, they're the best.)

However, on the menu they have what we Midwesterners euphemistically call  "Rocky Mountain Oysters" or "bull fries," which in reality are deep-fried bull testicles. And every year Round The Bend (and I guess other places around the country) has its annual "Testicle Festival."

Some of the old farm-boy types swear by them. I never could bring myself to order some.

I guess you could say that I've never "had a ball" at Round The Bend.  :D

Subject: Re: I never had the "balls" to try this.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/22/08 at 2:26 am

with such a plentiful & easy to aquire bounty of meats, poultry, or fish, I have no desire at all to put the cooked testicles of any animal in my mouth  8-P  it just seems wrong, like I'm being tricked or something 
although now that I think about it, I do like chicken or turkey hearts and gizzards and those organs don't look much different than balls

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/08 at 5:01 pm

I've never had them and never will.

Written By: Jessica on 05/22/08 at 9:23 pm

During Thanksgiving, some bar in Chicago has the "Turkey Testicle Festival". I wanted to go last year, but Rice wouldn't go with me. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/22/08 at 11:10 pm

I've never had them and never will.

you mean...not even for........

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/3114/2128570030d26054141cmm4.jpg ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/08 at 11:29 pm

you mean...not even for........

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/3114/2128570030d26054141cmm4.jpg ;D ;D ;D

Brain shorts out

Written By: whistledog on 05/25/08 at 10:27 am

Reminds me of Chevy Chase in 'Funny Farm' setting the town record for eating the most Sheep's Testicles ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/30/08 at 5:43 pm

You couldn't pay me enough to eat that man!

I saw on a TV show the process it takes to acquire the, um, testicles, and it's not a pretty thing. Really, if you've got cable, turn to the Travel Channel and watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. The man eats them like they're Tic Tacs. Makes me thankful for all the McDonalds and Burger Kings in the world.

Written By: KKay on 05/30/08 at 11:04 pm

with such a plentiful & easy to aquire bounty of meats, poultry, or fish, I have no desire at all to put the cooked testicles of any animal in my mouth 

so you eat them raw?

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/puke.gif

Written By: flygirl on 06/29/08 at 11:06 pm

When I was a kid, our neighbors butchered some cattle and invited us over for supper.  Mom just called them "meatballs" and we loved them!  I didn't even know for a long time that that was what we had been eating!    It didn't bother me then but now I can say that, "yes, I have had them and I don't wish to eat them again, thank you".

Written By: swinggal on 07/27/08 at 8:23 am

Don't know why anyone would WANT to try them or eat them.

Check for new replies or respond here...