inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird quirks about food

Written By: Lindee on 05/23/08 at 11:33 am

Anybody here have weird quirks about food?
Mine is if I'm eating something (ex: meat) and I comes across a bone, gristle, etc., I can't finish it. My appetite is ruined  because I'm afraid there will be more of it inside the food. I cannot enjoy it anymore.
A childhood friend of mine when we went to Mc Donalds always would eat her hamburger first and then the fries.

Subject: Re: Weird quirks about food

Written By: KKay on 05/23/08 at 11:56 am

I have no quirks like that.  Actually, I glom everything.  I have no distaste for anything and I think good cooking is wasted on me.

I like peels and seeds and gristle and fat... ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/23/08 at 7:09 pm

I can't eat Mayo on sandwiches, but I can eat it in salads (e.g. tuna, potato).

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/23/08 at 7:26 pm

I can't eat Mayo on sandwiches, but I can eat it in salads (e.g. tuna, potato).

Jeez, I'm the exact opposite!  I don't mind mayo on a sandwich, but add it to ANYTHING else and it's a deal-breaker.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/24/08 at 10:52 am

Jeez, I'm the exact opposite!  I don't mind mayo on a sandwich, but add it to ANYTHING else and it's a deal-breaker.

Ha-ha, I think it was because of soggy sandwiches as a kid.

Written By: Brigitte on 05/24/08 at 11:16 am

When I'm really thirsty, I count how many gulps it takes to down a glass of water. I don't even think about it, it's automatic every time I down a glass of water.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/24/08 at 1:03 pm

Lemme see, when I buy a burger meal, I usually drink the drink first. LOL.

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/24/08 at 5:09 pm

I prefer my food to stay in one place.  :-X

http://myspace-456.vo.llnwd.net/00658/65/49/658069456_l.gif

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/24/08 at 8:15 pm

Whenever I order a burger and fries, I ALWAYS eat the fries first! I don't know why, I guess I like my fries hot and crispy.  ;D

Also, if I'm going to a picnic or packing a lunch for a picnic, I won't have anything with mayo in it. I guess I'm just a little paranoid about food poisoning. I remember when I was little I was at a picnic and some people got sick from eating potato salad. My mother said it may have been the mayo that caused it.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/24/08 at 9:55 pm

I hate big tomatos (like Roma) but love those little bitty grape tomatos.  They are the only ones I'll eat.  I'm not crazy about ketchup anymore, it tastes too sweet to me now.  Wait, I just remembered, I DO like salsa, so I guess I do eat other tomatos.  D'oh.  But I guess, if there is tomato on my burger or in a salad, I won't eat it, unless it's the little ones.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/24/08 at 10:06 pm

Any steamed or boiled vegetable must have either butter or cheese sauce or I won't eat it.

I can't stand fried or baked chicken because of veins.  Yet I love chicken patties, nuggets and chicken salad.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/24/08 at 10:09 pm

I hate touching and cooking raw hamburger but I love a good cooked hamburger

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/24/08 at 10:13 pm

I hate touching and cooking raw hamburger but I love a good cooked hamburger

There's just something really creepy about knowing that it's flesh.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/24/08 at 10:16 pm

There's just something really creepy about knowing that it's flesh.

When I watch those cooking shows and they make meatloaf, they always so "Oh and this is the best part, stick your hands in there and really work all the ingredients together."  UH...no thanks.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/24/08 at 10:20 pm

When I watch those cooking shows and they make meatloaf, they always so "Oh and this is the best part, stick your hands in there and really work all the ingredients together."  UH...no thanks.

It's got that really weird texture.  My Mom would make meatloaf for that very reason.  Of course she also preferred chicken and turkey organs to the normal white or dark meat.  This is probably why I spent half of my adult life eating pizza.  I've been traumatized.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/08 at 12:29 am

Funny.  One of the coolest perks of adulthood for me was realizing that Mom wasn't around... and that when I was making meatloaf or garlic-infused hamburgers, or meatballs, I really could get wrist-deep in ground meat.  Preparing a steak's even simpler -- grab the thing, salt/pepper it, pound it flat a few times with a bare hand, and reshape to original thickness/form.  Slap it on the grill.  Sure, I wash my hands and clean the utensils/plates afterwards (and the handwashing takes a lot longer with the layer of beef fat that accumulates on my skin after squishing 2-3 pounds of ground round into its final form than it does with a simple steak), but I've got no real fear of it.

At the same time, raw poultry still scares the heck outa me.  After handling anything more complicated than pre-frozen chicken breasts, I'll use a dilute bleach solution on the sink, the countertop, the utensils, and my hands. 

There's no sound reason for it; salmonella and e.coli aren't that much different.  Cook 'em both, love 'em both, never had food poisoning from either mammal or bird, so my technique's presumably correct no matter what I'm cooking, but poultry cleanliness is just a weird quirk I've got. 

Written By: KKay on 05/27/08 at 7:09 am

^not just the mixing with hands. but a taste test.  i have, since youth, tasted the raw meat mix.  my mom, sister and I all like the raw ground beef. i know I shouldn't, but sometimes i just can resist

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/27/08 at 9:57 am

^not just the mixing with hands. but a taste test.  i have, since youth, tasted the raw meat mix.  my mom, sister and I all like the raw ground beef. i know I shouldn't, but sometimes i just can resist

Same thing here.  My Mother would make meatballs every Sunday and we'd eat it prior to cooking - raw egg and all! 

I have been hospitalized with salmonella (from a totally unrelated incident and would NEVER eat any meat raw ever again!

Written By: KKay on 05/27/08 at 11:53 am

Same thing here.  My Mother would make meatballs every Sunday and we'd eat it prior to cooking - raw egg and all! 

I have been hospitalized with salmonella (from a totally unrelated incident and would NEVER eat any meat raw ever again!

i wonder if that would stop me?....yeah, the egg is the best part! 

Written By: Step-chan on 05/27/08 at 10:20 pm

I hate mayo and mustard. Will not eat them on anything. I avoid stuff like tuna salad, sandwich spread and potato salad partially because of that stuff.

I can eat peppers raw, but won't eat it if it's chopped up and cooked in food.

I hate spaghetti sauce, can't stand the smell of it.

Written By: Michael on 05/28/08 at 8:19 am

Can't eat green peppers, but give me some gristle and bone and I'm a happy guy! 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/28/08 at 3:03 pm

I hate mayo and mustard. Will not eat them on anything. I avoid stuff like tuna salad, sandwich spread and potato salad partially because of that stuff.

I can eat peppers raw, but won't eat it if it's chopped up and cooked in food.

I hate spaghetti sauce, can't stand the smell of it.

You're totally the opposite of me. ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/28/08 at 5:21 pm

You're totally the opposite of me. ;D

I've always had a aversion that stuff.

With sandwich spread, it's not just the ingredients like mayo that makes me gag.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/08 at 10:34 pm

i wonder if that would stop me?....yeah, the egg is the best part! 

The egg probably shouldn't.  The odds of your typical processed egg carrying salmonella area about 1:30000 against.  Most of the salmonelal risk is associated with in eggs that have accumulated chicken feces (quite easy to do, given that eggs pass through the all-in-one wonder hole known as the "cloaca", which is Latin for "sewer", so it's not like this was a big secret any time past the Roman Empire :).

Thing is, your typical processed egg goes through a wash that kills most, if not all, of these bacteria.  The survivors linger only on the shell, so unless you break the egg and swirl the shell around in the broken egg, you're not at much risk.  The factory-farmed eggs are probably the safest eggs on the market.

On the organic side, a chicken with a varied diet is more likely to eat other bacteria which outcompete the salmonella bacteria for space in the chicken's guts.  So that $8.00/dozen mega-organic egg that you buy direct from the farmer (or even see emerging from the chicken!) isn't quite as safe -- but if you rinse it for a few seconds under soapy water, and then under clean water, it's not that bad a bet either.

I wouldn't eat/serve raw eggs to paying customers where I had a liability risk.  I wouldn't do it to houseguests or co-workers without full disclosure of how I'd cooked the eggs.  I don't do it to myself very often.  But every once in a while, I will gleefully indulge in a batch of homemade ice cream with the cheapest store-bought mass-produced eggs I can find as a thickening agent, and I haven't been bitten yet.

On the raw red meat side (and the risk here is principally from the toxins emitted by specific strains of e.coli, not salmonella as it is with poultry products), I won't eat raw hamburger, I won't serve pink burgers to guests/friends without full disclosure, but I will indulge in pink hamburgers where I've seen my butcher grind the chuck himself.  I can make a damn tasty fully-cooked burger, which is still my default hamburger style for the 99% of the time that I use the store-bought ground meat products.  Steak, however, is different; any bacterial contamination is only on the surface, and the surface is sterilized even though the interior of my steak is still going "Moo".  When it comes to steak, it's rare and medium rare for the win.

Written By: Davester on 05/29/08 at 1:41 am

I prefer my food to stay in one place.   :-X

http://myspace-456.vo.llnwd.net/00658/65/49/658069456_l.gif

lol..!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/30/08 at 5:40 pm

I guess this is a little strange.

Whenever I watch Thriller (long form) I HAVE to have popcorn because Michael Jackson eats it in the beggining of the film.

I dunno, Mike is getting his "grub on" and I just crave popcorn.  ;)

Written By: Jessica on 06/02/08 at 10:43 pm

While posting about Fosters Freeze, I remembered my quirk. If I'm eating at a fast food restaurant or such, I HAVE to have a chocolate milkshake to dip my french fries in. Dunno why, but I've done it since childhood, and it still tastes good to me. :D

Written By: midnite on 06/02/08 at 10:53 pm

Mine is if I'm eating something (ex: meat) and I comes across a bone, gristle, etc., I can't finish it. My appetite is ruined  because I'm afraid there will be more of it inside the food. I cannot enjoy it anymore.
A childhood friend of mine when we went to Mc Donalds always would eat her hamburger first and then the fries.

I am a bit of a diva.

If someone blows their nose, while I am eating, I cannot finish.  I just visualize the snot flying into my food.

Written By: zacpot on 06/06/08 at 2:11 am

i love both eggs and tomatoes but no way can i eat them together

Written By: Step-chan on 06/06/08 at 5:55 pm

A couple of other things I just remembered.

I hate Manwiche, like spaghetti sauce, the smell repels me(also some of the ingredients).

In the morning when I'm just waking up, I can't stand eating anything salty, it has to be sweet or neutral in flavor. Later in the day, I can eat saltier foods, so it's more of a "I have to be awake enough" sort of thing.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/08/08 at 7:46 am

A couple of other things I just remembered.

I hate Manwiche, like spaghetti sauce, the smell repels me(also some of the ingredients).

In the morning when I'm just waking up, I can't stand eating anything salty, it has to be sweet or neutral in flavor. Later in the day, I can eat saltier foods, so it's more of a "I have to be awake enough" sort of thing.

So, do you like oatmeal for breakfast?

Written By: Step-chan on 06/08/08 at 2:54 pm

So, do you like oatmeal for breakfast?

Not fond of oatmeal, but have ate it when I was really hungry.

I usually eat cold cereals. When it comes to hot cereal, I like Cream of Wheat the most.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/10/08 at 9:26 am

I have a thing where I have to finish the burger and fries about the same time - I don't like having no burger or fries at all so I eat a bit of both, alternating...I usually eat all the food let it digest for a bit and then drink. I don't really like mixing food and drink (coke and beef flavoured burps aren't exactly the most appealing!).

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/12/08 at 11:38 pm

I usually have a Diet Coke (or some other caffienated soda) as soon as I wake up in the morning.

It's funny. I'm half asleep in my jammies and stagger throught the house for a soda.  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/24/08 at 8:29 pm

I just dicovred that one of my friends has a very peculiar perk about food.

Her name is Morgan and she likes Prince like I do. When she watches Prince's movie Purple Rain, she HAS to have a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos, because during one scene Prince is TOTING a bag of them. He never eats from it! He just carries it from one room to the next. (I personally prefer Coll Ranch Doritios)

Check for new replies or respond here...