inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chinese Buffets

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/26/08 at 3:38 pm

How do you feel about them? Some of them I have been to like China Buffet and Panda Express. I haven't been to B.D. Mongolian Barbeque, but it sounds tempting.

Subject: Re: Chinese Buffets

Written By: Dagwood on 07/26/08 at 3:44 pm

I love chinese buffets.  Panda is really good, but there is one here called Chinese Gourmet.  It is huge and the food is yum

Long time no see, Indy.  It is good to see you around again. :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/26/08 at 10:21 pm

Hello There,

I'm nervous to eat at buffets where anyone can handle the food.  I went to one of these places once and would only eat the soup!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/08 at 11:48 pm

We used to eat at them all the time (there were a few that we loved)...but now that I am a vegetarian...we don't usually do buffets anymore. We will go and sit down and just get a dinner..or order takeout...that way I can just order a veggie meal.

Oh, and btw, I tend to like to do Japanese versus Chinese food. My favorite are the Japanese hibachi restaurants.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/27/08 at 12:01 am

There are several here on the East side of the San Francisco Bay Area and a couple are actually not bad, they quite good, I prefer the ones that have seafood.  some of them have a Mongolian style grill/bbq where you load up your bowl with meat and vegies and sauce and give it to the chef and he cooks it on the big flat round grill for you. when i go I focus on the meat and seafod dishes, and will maybe have a bit of fried rice or chow mein

Written By: danootaandme on 07/27/08 at 5:16 am

I love buffets.  You get to sample a bit of everything and go back for seconds if you like.  The way life should be.  ;D

Written By: audkal on 07/27/08 at 12:25 pm

I love buffets.  You get to sample a bit of everything and go back for seconds if you like.  The way life should be.   ;D

Exactly why they rock!  ;D

We have a Hunan in town and I love it!

Written By: nally on 07/27/08 at 1:43 pm

Hey Indy! Great to see you again!

I have been to Mongolian Barbecue (actually Mongolian Bbq - we have some locations around the L.A. area) a number of times in the past ten years; I've enjoyed their food.

Written By: Jessica on 07/27/08 at 3:18 pm

I love buffets.  You get to sample a bit of everything and go back for seconds if you like.  The way life should be.   ;D

I'll second that. :D

The Food King Buffet in Griffith, IN is pretty decent.  It is relatively inexpensive and they have a good selection.  My dad took me to a Chinese buffet in Salinas that was excellent and they had a ton of food, including Mongolian BBQ.

And even though it isn't Chinese buffet, I LOVE Todai Sushi & Buffet.  All you can eat sushi for a fair price...mmmmmm.  They also have some hot dishes, a dessert bar, and a fruit bar.  Awesome.  Their iced green tea is to die for.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/27/08 at 11:59 pm

I've always liked Mongolian barbecue better than Chinese buffets. When I was living in Arizona, there was this one Mongolian BBQ I used to go to a lot. I hope I'll have a chance to swing by when I'm in AZ next week.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/30/08 at 12:38 am

I like them, especially the seafood areas. I'm more of a Japanese food eater (sushi!!), though.

Written By: nally on 12/04/08 at 10:50 pm

I've always liked Mongolian barbecue better than Chinese buffets. When I was living in Arizona, there was this one Mongolian BBQ I used to go to a lot. I hope I'll have a chance to swing by when I'm in AZ next week.

There's also some out here in CA, which I mentioned having gone to. Did you get a chance to eat at one when you were in AZ?

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/04/08 at 11:07 pm

There's also some out here in CA, which I mentioned having gone to. Did you get a chance to eat at one when you were in AZ?

I didn't get a chance to, unfortunately, but there's always next time!  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/05/08 at 12:31 am

there are 2 of them close by. the Empire buffet and the East buffet, both have a large assortment and a good amount of seafood dishes and the prices are not bad, especially for all you can eat.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/05/08 at 12:44 pm

We have a few by us, but they are expensive and not really worth the money.  It's like the market here is over saturated so they don't care about the quality of the food which makes me sad.

yes, it has changed from my last post.  I have been a couple of times since then and been sorely disappointed.

Written By: Midas on 12/05/08 at 12:50 pm

I'm told the one in Maricopa is terrible, so I haven't been.  I really haven't been to a good Chinese Buffet since I lived in NC.

I've never seen a Panda Express buffet.  They have those?  ??? 

Dragon Palace in North Phoenix is an awesome Chinese restaurant.  They do the whole "family style" dinner and it's fun with a large party to order different entrees and try a little of each. :)

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/08 at 2:50 pm

I'm told the one in Maricopa is terrible, so I haven't been.  I really haven't been to a good Chinese Buffet since I lived in NC.

I've never seen a Panda Express buffet.  They have those?  ??? 

Dragon Palace in North Phoenix is an awesome Chinese restaurant.  They do the whole "family style" dinner and it's fun with a large party to order different entrees and try a little of each. :)

Dude, you have Chino Bandido.  Why bother with a buffet when you have that awesomeness? :D

Written By: Midas on 12/05/08 at 3:26 pm

Dude, you have Chino Bandido.  Why bother with a buffet when you have that awesomeness? :D

How could I forget that place?  :D  Probably b/c now I live over an hour away from the one I took Rice, Jason and you to.  I think there's one in the East Valley tho'.  That would likely be closer.

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/08 at 3:56 pm

How could I forget that place?  :D  Probably b/c now I live over an hour away from the one I took Rice, Jason and you to.  I think there's one in the East Valley tho'.  That would likely be closer.

Ha, I was pondering making a 2 1/2 hour sidetrip to Phoenix for some. :D

Feasibly, it could be done....we'd just have to take I-10 to California....hmmmmm......

Written By: Midas on 12/05/08 at 3:59 pm

Ha, I was pondering making a 2 1/2 hour sidetrip to Phoenix for some. :D

Feasibly, it could be done....we'd just have to take I-10 to California....hmmmmm......

Gas in PHX is currently around $1.80/gallon if that helps any.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/05/08 at 4:52 pm

there used to be a Chinese buffet in San Leandro, Calif. that served steamed oysters on the half shell with black bean sauce, ginger, green onion and they were fantastic. they would only serve you 2 at a time because they were huge and they didn't want gluttons to gorge on them. they looked like this.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/2228961125_09d7d9f52b.jpg?v=0

Written By: ninny on 12/05/08 at 5:03 pm

There is a couple within a 10 mile radius of us. The one stinks,especially if you go during off hours. The 2nd one is a little further drive,but is worth it,you get twice as much for the same price.

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/08 at 11:13 pm

Some chinese buffets are excellent.  One in a neighbouring city here called North China Buffet is so good!  Ribs, Fries w/ Gravy, sausages, and all the different kinds of chicken.  Man, it's soooo good :)

Then again, some aren't so great.  One here called Buffet Delight (which is now defunct) got me real sick after I ate their food.  Hadn't been that ill in years :(

Written By: Midas on 12/07/08 at 11:17 am

Fries w/ Gravy, sausages...

I didn't know that was Chinese food.  I learn something new everyday :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/07/08 at 2:49 pm

I can not decide if I like Chinese buffet places - I would rather order a dish and take home leftovers ;D ;D ;D ;D

Everytime I eat at one I feel that I mix foods in such a way - that I am horribly ill afterwards (or maybe it is just the food quality???).. :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

Either way, I think I would rather stick to a good Chinese Restraunt :)

Written By: Lindee on 12/08/08 at 10:57 am

I agree. It's a good way of trying something that I normally would not have eaten.

I just can't stand some of the people that go to buffets. They pile their plate so high like that's all they're going to get. They are pigs IMO. >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/08 at 3:10 pm

I LOVE buffets. My problem is making decisions. It never fails, when I order something, I start to wonder if I made the right decision and think that I should have ordered something else instead. But with a buffet, I can sample just about everything. Yeah, I do have a tendency of eating too much-oh well. As long as I don't go to buffets too much, I'm fine.

There is a place in L.A. (can't remember the name) that we used to go when my sister-in-law lived there which had a sushi buffet. That was great because Carlos LOVES sushi and I don't.  8-P (I did try it but just can't handle it). But, this place has a ROOM full of cooked foods-as well as a room full of sushi AND a room full of desserts. Normally, I will eat more than Carlos but not we go to this place. I have NEVER seen Carlos eat as much as when we go there.

Cat

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/14/08 at 5:43 pm

I adore Chinese Buffets. I go to 2 differents in town with my friends. One has amazing muscles in a black bean sauce and I eat those up until I'm ready to burst. The other one had crawfish, which I don't eat, but love to sit and watch my best friend eat. I've sat back and personally watched her eat 10 plates of them! (TEN!)

LOL. The food is amazing!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/21/08 at 1:47 am

There are several here on the East side of the San Francisco Bay Area and a couple are actually not bad, they quite good, I prefer the ones that have seafood.   some of them have a Mongolian style grill/bbq where you load up your bowl with meat and vegies and sauce and give it to the chef and he cooks it on the big flat round grill for you. when i go I focus on the meat and seafod dishes, and will maybe have a bit of fried rice or chow mein

We have one of those, too. Where they cook it on that big round grill. They have one at Sunvalley called Great Khan's Mongolian BBQ. It's pretty tasty! (I'm a vegatarian, too, so no meat involved, just veggies and some tofu)

Written By: ninny on 12/21/08 at 10:47 am

We went to one 2 weeks ago and I've been in pain ever since,I have a doctors appointment on the 30th I think i may have Gallstones or Gallbladder problems..I love Chinese food so I hope I don't have to give up eating it. :(

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/09/09 at 8:55 pm

I had something similar to that at a buffet in the Happy Garden Restaurant at Fall Creek Road last week, only it was mussels on the half-shell. The buffet also had snow crab legs with butter sauce.
there used to be a Chinese buffet in San Leandro, Calif. that served steamed oysters on the half shell with black bean sauce, ginger, green onion and they were fantastic. they would only serve you 2 at a time because they were huge and they didn't want gluttons to gorge on them. they looked like this.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/2228961125_09d7d9f52b.jpg?v=0

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/14/09 at 7:22 pm

I'm nervous to eat at buffets where anyone can handle the food.  I went to one of these places once and would only eat the soup!
Same here. Was a great chinese buffet here called Wok-King. I'm not a huge chinese lover, but I loved their sweet and sour pork, ribs, and shrimp. They also had these fried apple pies which tasted like Mcdonalds used to make them in the 70s and 80s. Anyways, one night I was in there, some bum came in and was picking up food scraps off the floor. In an attempt to get him to leave, they let him go over to the buffet and pick out some food. I immediately walked out the door and never went back.

I have nothing against helping out the homeless, but give him a doggie bag instead of letting him pick through the buffet for gods sake.

I just can't stand some of the people that go to buffets. They pile their plate so high like that's all they're going to get. They are pigs IMO. >:(
I have an aunt who does that, and its extremely embarrassing.

Written By: anabel on 05/23/09 at 9:36 am

I love going to Chinese buffets, but it's kind of a waste on me.  All I get is broccoli and rice with chicken or beef, I like those little powdered sugar donuts, fortune cookies and sometimes I get Bourbon chicken.  I like bamboo shoots too, but overall, I get the same stuff each time. But the experience is fun and I don't have to cook, plus I get to make fun of what everyone else is eating.

I agree with watching the cleanliness factor, though. I went to one in Orlando and refused to eat anything because I saw one of the workers put shrimp or something from the tray he was holding into the steam tray in the bar with his HAND.  No glove.  :o  Ewwww!  8-P

Written By: Frank on 05/23/09 at 1:16 pm

I have been to hundreds of Chinese restaurants. Usually the ones filled with Chinese people are the better ones to eat at. (My wife told me that)
I like lots of Chinese foods, sea foods and even unusual stuff they eat in Asia (that we don't eat here) like Chicken feet, intestines and other neat things like that.

Written By: Midas on 06/15/09 at 4:08 pm

Speaking of the Phoenix area, is Autumn Moon still around. I went to the one in Mesa as a kid, and my parents really loved that place.

Apparently it still is but I've never been.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/17/09 at 2:33 pm

I have been to hundreds of Chinese restaurants. Usually the ones filled with Chinese people are the better ones to eat at. (My wife told me that)
I like lots of Chinese foods, sea foods and even unusual stuff they eat in Asia (that we don't eat here) like Chicken feet, intestines and other neat things like that.

Yeah...I have two friends from China that told me about some of the more interesting things to eat over there.  We went to a resturant here that served a few of them, but I declined.  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 06/17/09 at 9:02 pm

I despise chicken feet.  Everytime we go out for dim sum, Rice_Cube gets them.  This is me upon seeing them: 8-P

Ooh yeah, interesting stuff.  I've had jellyfish and little cold red octopi.  Intestines are usually good.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/18/09 at 9:55 am

I despise chicken feet.  Everytime we go out for dim sum, Rice_Cube gets them.  This is me upon seeing them: 8-P

Ooh yeah, interesting stuff.  I've had jellyfish and little cold red octopi.  Intestines are usually good.

My friends love chicken feet too.  I don't get it.  There can't possibly be any meat on them!

Written By: Womble on 06/21/09 at 2:14 pm

I love going to Chinese buffets, but it's kind of a waste on me.  All I get is broccoli and rice with chicken or beef, I like those little powdered sugar donuts, fortune cookies and sometimes I get Bourbon chicken.  I like bamboo shoots too, but overall, I get the same stuff each time. But the experience is fun and I don't have to cook, plus I get to make fun of what everyone else is eating.

I agree with watching the cleanliness factor, though. I went to one in Orlando and refused to eat anything because I saw one of the workers put shrimp or something from the tray he was holding into the steam tray in the bar with his HAND.  No glove.  :o  Ewwww!   8-P

I eat at Chinese Buffets in Orlando where I live. Which Restaurant are you referring to, Anabel?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/21/09 at 9:31 pm

I had something similar to that at a buffet in the Happy Garden Restaurant at Fall Creek Road last week, only it was mussels on the half-shell. The buffet also had snow crab legs with butter sauce.
I had a couple of those huge steamed oysters today at The Empire Buffet but they we'rent that good. we went there today for Father's Day lunch. todays menu focused on seafood  ::)  and they had tons of it. I ate about 20 salt and pepper whole shrimps, 2 kinds of crab, garlic clams, some delicious halibut, salmon, and for kicks I had a couple chicken wings and a bbq spare rib. they even had "frog legs" deep fried and they were hecka good.

Written By: mikebennington on 08/15/09 at 8:52 am

Love them....you can usually get a whole variety of foods that would normally cost a fortune if ordered seperately.

That being said...you have to find a place that has a good buffet....there are many places that don't.

Written By: Marian on 08/16/09 at 3:07 pm

There's one called King Buffet in san jose.it's pretty good.Also President restaurant,with both Chinese buffet and mongolian barbeque.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/24/09 at 10:11 pm

Some chinese buffets are excellent.  One in a neighbouring city here called North China Buffet is so good!  Ribs, Fries w/ Gravy, sausages, and all the different kinds of chicken.  Man, it's soooo good :)

Then again, some aren't so great.  One here called Buffet Delight (which is now defunct) got me real sick after I ate their food.  Hadn't been that ill in years :(

It's funny, but that's totally true. For some weird reason, Chinese restaurants can be kind of hit or miss. Usually they're either really good or really bad.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/26/09 at 9:59 pm

There are lots of Chinese Buffets in New Jersey where I live. My fave one is Royal Buffet in East Hanover, NJ. I love their sushi bar, Mongolian Grill, Steamed Sweet Buns, and Chicken feet.

Written By: Frank on 12/26/09 at 10:54 pm

It's funny, but that's totally true. For some weird reason, Chinese restaurants can be kind of hit or miss. Usually they're either really good or really bad.

The more Chinese people you see in a Chinese restaurant is usually proportional to how good it is.

Check for new replies or respond here...