inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Poor boy sandwich

Written By: crguthr on 07/31/08 at 12:21 pm

I have been trying to find a frozen sandwich that I ate alot as a kid in the 70's.  I think it was named poor boy.  It was frozen and had lunch meat and cheese on a roll.  I live on the west coast so maybe it was a regional food.  Does anyone remember?  It is driving me crazy!!!

Subject: Re: Poor boy sandwich

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/08 at 9:03 pm

I have heard of a Poor boy sandwich, but can't say as I've ever had one

Written By: jerrybooms on 10/03/08 at 9:34 am

Hi guys,
I am from Wisconsin and have been on the same search for years yes it was called a poorboy and it rocked i found something similiar at sams club close but not the same.

Written By: jerrybooms on 10/03/08 at 10:03 am

actually now that ive tried it it is the same thing

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/08 at 4:06 pm

Poor boys are like subs(hero's some call them)  I have never heard of frozen ones though.  Can't imagine how a frozen one could be good.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/03/08 at 5:12 pm

I have been trying to find a frozen sandwich that I ate alot as a kid in the 70's.  I think it was named poor boy.  It was frozen and had lunch meat and cheese on a roll.  I live on the west coast so maybe it was a regional food.  Does anyone remember?  It is driving me crazy!!!

Could it be a Chuckwagon (Deli Express) sandwich or a Ranchero (Schwan's) sandwich?  Both have been around since my childhood, and they are both a trio of ham, salami and bologna, along with slices of American and Swiss cheeses - all on a sesame Kaiser roll.  Maybe these are regional names, as I live in the Midwest????  Hope I can help.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/05/08 at 7:32 pm

Could it be a Chuckwagon (Deli Express) sandwich or a Ranchero (Schwan's) sandwich?  Both have been around since my childhood, and they are both a trio of ham, salami and bologna, along with slices of American and Swiss cheeses - all on a sesame Kaiser roll.  Maybe these are regional names, as I live in the Midwest????  Hope I can help.

OMG Schwans has the best beef and ice cream. Not together of course.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/05/08 at 8:41 pm

I've seen those in the hospital and in the grocery store. But I've never tried one. When I want a frozen sandwhich, I get a Hot Pocket. (and put it in the microwave, of course.)  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/06/08 at 2:25 am

I've seen those in the hospital and in the grocery store. But I've never tried one. When I want a frozen sandwhich, I get a Hot Pocket. (and put it in the microwave, of course.)  ;D

Otherwise, it might be a little bit crunchy.  :P

Had Po' Boy sandwiches in restaurants, but never any frozen, at home.

Written By: Renee on 02/24/09 at 6:54 pm

I too grew up on the west coast and am looking for the same sandwich. We had them in high school at lunch time as a fund raiser for a club. They put them in a toaster oven with the package on. Could use one right now.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/24/09 at 7:02 pm

I too grew up on the west coast and am looking for the same sandwich. We had them in high school at lunch time as a fund raiser for a club. They put them in a toaster oven with the package on. Could use one right now.

Check out you local gas station - I am sure it is Deli Express (We used to get Landshire - and they are now Deli Express) and it is the Chuckwagon sandwhich.  Schwan's has a similar one called the Ranchero. 

Written By: junkety on 04/29/09 at 10:13 pm

What an incredibly small world.  crguthr, I am looking for the exact same thing!  I'm from California and vividly remember, back in the 70s, heating those poorboys up in the oven (they came wrapped in foil as I recall) and having a seriously tasty treat after 30 minutes or so.  I can't find out who made them, if they're still produced, etc., but I've never found anything that good since as a sit-in-front-of-the-TV snack!  I know it can't have been a terribly gourmet item or anything because my mother wouldn't have bought anything fancy or expensive back then.  I'd love to relocate those and stock up.  If anyone finds them, please do post the info! 

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/30/09 at 4:22 pm

I don't like the idea of a frozen sandwhich that you have to heat in the microwave. I had a REEEEEALY bad flavor expieirience with some microwavable White Castle burgers. They smelled awesome but Lord Almighty, when I bit into it, it was all kinds of wrong. I ripped a poster Of Michael Jackson off the wall running for the trashcan. Never again.  >:( And I wouldn't touch the poor boy either. Same concept--frozen sammie--and microwavable. Nope, I'll reach in my cupboard and make a fresh sandwhich myself.  ;)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/14/09 at 3:41 am

I remember them in the early/mid 80s. They used to sell them in gas stations. They had the typical "gas station sandwiches", and then in another section those types of sandwiches. Don't remember them being served at school like others here though.

Haven't seen them since, and even if they did sell them again, it wouldn't taste the same. Microwaved food in this day and age tastes like garbage.

Just enjoy the memories.  8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/14/09 at 7:18 am

schwans' Ranchero sandwich - they still sell them

http://content.schwans.com/assets/product_images/styles/55304MD.JPG

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/14/09 at 6:31 pm

^^That looks good^^ ;)

Written By: ktodd34 on 04/24/10 at 10:57 pm

schwans' Ranchero sandwich - they still sell them

http://content.schwans.com/assets/product_images/styles/55304MD.JPG

I also have been looking for the frozen po boy sandwiches.  They came two in a package each a foot long.  They had round pieces of two kinds of meat and little yellow cheese triangles.  I remember the name to be something like  'Oh Boy'.

Written By: Patrick on 07/17/10 at 4:43 pm

8)

I know exactly what these were like..  and have been trying to find them as well.

They were called Larry's Poorboy Sandwiches.  Used to get them at any of the local grocery stores in the frozen food section.  The were horribly great!  the bun's were rubbery when microwaved, and the cheese, and meat was processed of course, but they were great.  Always hit the spot, and they were quick and easy to make.  I thought they tasted good, and today, they would stack up well against Hot pocket's with no problem.  I miss them, and am still trying to find out where to find this childhood food delight.  May not be the best for you nutritionally, but it's okay to be bad once in awhile.

Enjoy life.. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/17/10 at 6:39 pm

I don't like the idea of a frozen sandwhich that you have to heat in the microwave. I had a REEEEEALY bad flavor expieirience with some microwavable White Castle burgers. They smelled awesome but Lord Almighty, when I bit into it, it was all kinds of wrong. I ripped a poster Of Michael Jackson off the wall running for the trashcan. Never again.  >:( And I wouldn't touch the poor boy either. Same concept--frozen sammie--and microwavable. Nope, I'll reach in my cupboard and make a fresh sandwhich myself.  ;)

I love White Castle burgers but in the microwave,they give off a stink afterwards.  :P

Written By: Jean on 08/08/10 at 2:56 pm

I know which one your talking about it came in a foil type wrapper and you could heat it in the oven.  
I use to eat that too.  Probably early or mid 70's .  I am from Wisconsin also.  Not sure of brand name though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/10 at 2:45 am

Poor Boy is regional for a Submarine sandwich (which is regional for a Poor Boy.  I thought that was in Pennsylvania, but I'm confusing it with a "Hoagie."  Maybe Poor Boys were around Pittsburgh.  We called them subs (sub being the prefix of "Submarine sandwich" in New England.  Other times we called them "Grinders" but it's generally the same thing.  Italian style is tastiest.  "Grinder always sounded unappetizing.

Now the "Po' Boy," which is sometimes called a "Poor Boy," is a different kind of sandwich.  A "Po' boy" is from New Orleans and involves fried seafood on baguette or French bread.  

"You want this ersta Po' Boy dressed, Clarence?"
"Yuh, Vic, with a lotta mynez!

(ersta = oyster/mynez = mayonnaise.

Just two Cajun good old boys hanging out at the joint, the club, the bar!

...another case of back out, don't walk out!
:-\\

Written By: Dennis on 09/13/10 at 2:15 pm

I remember those, used to make them in the oven.  The brand name was " Larry's".  I've also looked for those those but have never seen them around anywhere anymore.

Written By: Dennis on 09/13/10 at 2:31 pm

Larry's Giant Poorboy Sandwich.  I've tried to find them also with no luck.  You heated them in the oven in their foil package.  Long before we had microwave ovens!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/13/10 at 7:00 pm

Poor Boy is regional for a Submarine sandwich (which is regional for a Poor Boy.  I thought that was in Pennsylvania, but I'm confusing it with a "Hoagie."  Maybe Poor Boys were around Pittsburgh.  

Don't see them on the menus around here (in Pittsburgh) now, but that doesn't mean they didn't used to be called that here at one time.  I'm a relatively new transplant to the 'burgh.

It would seem like they wouldn't be *too* hard to make at home.  Get a bag of King's Sweet Hawaiian Rolls,http://www.kingshawaiian.com/images/products/original-12pk.jpgsome slices of ham from the deli or better yet some overly processed meat from the bologna refrigerated case, your choice of cheese and viola.  Stick it in the microwave and there you be.    I guess you *could* fry up in a skillet your choice of meat (here in Pittsburgh, it would be Isaly's chipped/chopped ham from the deli),http://www.isalys.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/chipham.jpg but that might be a little too much work for a quick sandwich.

hmmmm...now why do I feel like getting dressed and going to the store for deli meat now?  ::) ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/10 at 10:15 pm

Cheese and viola?

Do you use string cheese?

:D

Written By: olen tanner on 11/01/10 at 3:56 pm

wow glad to see i'm not the only one that remembers these tasty sandwiches or the  only one looking for them .
i remember finding them in a regular grocery store in the the frozen foods and will keep looking if any one else finds them please let me know !

Written By: Teresa on 01/22/11 at 9:56 pm

I've been looking for these too. I remember we would eat them a couple times a month. They came 2 in a box wrapped in foil wrapper and you baked them in the oven.  I have just had a craving for them lately. Those who had them know what that "craving" is if you've never had them then you don't know.  I'm sure I could make one and it would taste better but I just want one of those.

Written By: porceluna on 08/22/11 at 11:12 pm

I miss Larry's Poorboy Sandwiches...I did found one that came very close though.  If there is a Circle K in your area, they have a Poor Boy sandwich in their little deli case.  Throw some mustard on there and microwave it for a few seconds.  It might get you by until we can get the grassroots campaign started to bring Larry's back :)

Written By: Bigbirdsd on 01/05/12 at 6:29 pm

Used to eat them in little league in the 60's and 70's before microwaves were invented. just meat and cheese on a sub roll, but perfect for a starving 12 year old. I've had Philly cheese steak from South st. in philly and mary subs from Delaware and those were the bomb, food was better back in the day.

Written By: the Steve on 01/17/12 at 10:26 am

Yup. That's exactly what I was looking for, specifically. I remember them from the 1960's. One particular time stands out in my mind. There was an old black-and-white movie on TV, in the 1960's, about Hitler, and my mother threw one of those Poor Boys in the over. They were in a long foil paper bag, the same kind of bag the former drive-in used for its hot dogs (now that place is gone, too). The bottom of the roll had and embossed pattern of little round dots, close together. The oven tended to make the rolls a little hard and crispy in places. The sauce on those was what I think has captured these people into wanting another one of those Poor Boy sandwiches. Yeah, that was a magic combination of ingredients they used in that recipe. I don't think I was more than about 10, in the above scenario. I'm afraid the owner(s) may have taken their recipe secret to the grave with himself/themselves. Coincidentally, there has been a Larry's Pizza within walking distance from my place for years. The name coincidence of "Larry" is intriguing. I think I'll drop by there, to ask someone if they might have some connection to that seemingly defunct company. By the way, I'm in southern California, about 30 miles south of Hollywood.

Subject: Re: Poor boy sandwich Photographic evidence of them in an old newspaper ad.

Written By: the Steve on 01/17/12 at 10:48 am

This is your lucky day. Click on over to this photographic copy of a newspaper ad, which specifically includes these extinct sandwiches.
http://smc.stparchive.com/Archive/SMC/SMC08061959P11.php
Enjoy.
ps: I intend to try for a restart of this product, if I can find survivors from the company, of one of the family members.
pps: You may have to copy and paste the above URL into your address bar.

Subject: Re: Poor boy sandwich Photographic evidence of them in an old newspaper ad.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/19/12 at 1:10 am

http://smc.stparchive.com/Archive/SMC/SMC08061959P11.php

No, this is my lucky day.  STPArchive?  Thanks!  I've heard of those guys, I had no idea they were still going.

For anyone skeptical, that's a link to the Small Town Papers Archive, speicifically to the lower right chunk of a page of a high resolution scan of the Shelton Mason County Journal.  Christmastown, USA, Shelton, WA., August 6, 1959.  It lists "Poor Boy Sandwich, (fine print: Larry's Frozen, 2 to Pkg)", for $0.79.

A little poking around reveals the Small Town Papers project.  If you know anyone at a local newspaper who has with loose newspapers in archive format - get them to contact the project.  Most of this material was never recorded to microfilm/microfiche, let alone digitally scanned, and those dead trees rotting in your grandparents' attic may be the only record of things that happened in your hometown.

Written By: Gina on 01/27/12 at 12:36 pm

I cannot believe there is someone else out there wondering about these yummy sandwiches from the past.  I too ate them in the 70's and, for some reason, have been craving them.  I was hoping to find they were still made somewhere and order some.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/12 at 1:27 am

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/nickel%20(2).jpg

Written By: Jim on 02/23/12 at 12:12 am

They we're Oh Boy Poor Boy's on the west coast.  Came frozen in a foil wrap and we're the best sandwich I ever had! 

Written By: Yooper on 02/29/12 at 2:34 pm

Looks like no one ever found a place that sells them?  I'm from the Midwest, and I, too, used to have them for lunch.  Was just telling a friend of mine who left here hunger and a little frustrated that he couldn't just go out and buy one.

Written By: Bill R on 06/14/12 at 3:29 pm

"Oh Boy!" was a corporation founded in 1948 which made frozen food products.  In 2002, they got a cash infusion of $3 million to keep them going, but alas, they didn't make it, and sold to Treasure Valley in Idaho: http://www.treasurevalley.com/oh-boy/
who does not appear to make these sandwiches anymore.  However, i did find a close second (in appearance), although I have not tried them yet: http://www.advancepierre.com/products/1446_Poor-Boy-Sandwich.aspx

Hope this helps!

Bill R

Written By: Yolanda on 08/02/13 at 6:53 pm

The Po Boy was not a microwave type sandwich ~ it came in a foil wrapper and had to be put in the oven for about 20-30 minutes. We didn't even know what a microwave was in those days. LOL  ;D I loved that sandwich and would love to find a source for them again.

Written By: valleyroads on 08/10/13 at 2:43 am

I vaguely remember these being available into the mid-1990s (probably from reading the newspaper as a kid like I did), and remember Albertsons bakery selling "poor boy rolls" well into the 2000s, possibly as a result of these sandwiches. They were shorter squarish versions of hoagie/sub rolls.

BTW the Schwan's Ranchero sandwich is quite good.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/07/13 at 2:04 am

I live on the west coast too and used to get "submarines" from 7-11. they weren't frozen, just refrigerated and I'd nuke them inside the store for a late night munchie. I think they had bologna, ham & cheese, maybe salami too. so long ago, back in the mid 1970's

Written By: boobear56 on 11/07/13 at 12:43 pm

I have been thinking about these sandwiches off and on for years.  I loved them so very much.  I wish I could find one right now.  The crunchy roll, the sauce in the packets.  They were so good.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/07/13 at 2:21 pm

Now I'm hungry.

http://d1ujpofy5vmb70.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/featured_image/CajunCatfishPoBoy_article.jpg

I'd slap a grown man for this sandwich.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/13 at 2:42 pm

Now I'm hungry.

http://d1ujpofy5vmb70.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/featured_image/CajunCatfishPoBoy_article.jpg

I'd slap a grown man for this sandwich.

that's a delicious sandwich.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/13 at 4:34 pm

had a wonderful deli sandwich today for lunch at Luigi's Gourmet Deli in Concord, Ca. it had ham, turkey, cotto salami, american, swiss, tomato, lettuce, mayo, mustard and I could only eat half!  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...