inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Don't drinks taste better when they come out of glass than plastic or metal?

Written By: Satish on 08/05/08 at 4:49 pm

Is it just me, or do drinks taste better when they come out of glass bottles than plastic bottles or metal cans? When drinks have been stored in metal or plastic, it seems to me that they end up acquiring the flavour of the material they've been held in. They're left with a plastic or metal after-taste. They just don't taste as pure or fresh as they do when they've been stored in glass.

You can't even find soft drinks sold in glass bottles, anymore. I think it was in the mid to late 90s that they phased out glass bottles and started selling soft drinks in plastic bottles and metal cans, only. It was probably because glass is more fragile. With plastic and metal, you don't have to worry about the container breaking. Also, glass might be more expensive.

I can remember what it was like to drink a nice, cold Pepsi out of a glass bottle, and it just tasting so good. You can't get that feeling, anymore.

Subject: Re: Don't drinks taste better when they come out of glass than plastic or metal?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/05/08 at 4:52 pm

Here I thought it was only me.  I much prefer things in a glass container.  Anything acid based in metal has a funny taste to it.  (Soda, Lipton Brisk ect)

Subject: Re: Don't drinks taste better when they come out of glass than plastic or metal?

Written By: Jessica on 08/05/08 at 5:18 pm

Is it just me, or do drinks taste better when they come out of glass bottles than plastic bottles or metal cans? When drinks have been stored in metal or plastic, it seems to me that they end up acquiring the flavour of the material they've been held in. They're left with a plastic or metal after-taste. They just don't taste as pure or fresh as they do when they've been stored in glass.

You can't even find soft drinks sold in glass bottles, anymore. I think it was in the mid to late 90s that they phased out glass bottles and started selling soft drinks in plastic bottles and metal cans, only. It was probably because glass is more fragile. With plastic and metal, you don't have to worry about the container breaking. Also, glass might be more expensive.

I can remember what it was like to drink a nice, cold Pepsi out of a glass bottle, and it just tasting so good. You can't get that feeling, anymore.

Yes you can.  A lot of places now are selling Coca Cola imported from Mexico.  It is made with cane sugar and still comes in the glass bottles.  I know you can also get Dr. Pepper in glass bottles.  It is called Dublin (TX) Dr. Pepper and it is the ORIGINAL.  Goya also sells a line of sodas in glass bottles.  I recommend the coconut flavored. :)

And yes, I do agree it tastes better from glass bottles.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/05/08 at 8:26 pm

oh my, yes. Anything in a can tastes horrible! 8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/08 at 3:08 am

The taste of the tin can can be tasted in the drink, as the same for plastic in plastic bottles. I find that glass is the best container for liquids to drink

Written By: Brigitte on 08/06/08 at 12:32 pm

Yes, glass has class! I don't really notice the taste being different from plastic but the aluminum cans give the beverage a real metallic taste. 8-P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/06/08 at 2:28 pm

Oh, yes...much better out of a glass!  :)

Written By: Step-chan on 08/06/08 at 4:02 pm

I have this one pyrex cup which is my favorite to drink out of.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/06/08 at 4:13 pm

lol I know wine tastes much better out of a glass then plastic or metal...  :P ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/06/08 at 4:24 pm

Honestly?  I've never noticed a difference.  My husband doesn't like to drink beer out of a can - only a bottle - he says it tastes different, but it doesn't matter to me.  I guess I have dull taste buds.  ;D

Written By: Davester on 08/06/08 at 7:58 pm

I think it does...

Case in point:  I used to drink Budweiser out of cans and I noticed that weird taste.  It was only after switching to longnecks that I realized it was the beer...

Written By: Jessica on 08/06/08 at 9:37 pm

I think it does...

Case in point:  I used to drink Budweiser out of cans and I noticed that weird taste.  It was only after switching to longnecks that I realized it was the beer...

;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/06/08 at 10:31 pm

Glass bottles are better than plastic bottles.  Glass bottles give a real taste.  Plastic gives you a plastic taste

Written By: La Roche on 08/07/08 at 12:47 am

I've never really noticed, but by beer 8 If I'd noticed, I'll have forgotten.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 08/07/08 at 4:51 am

I think it does...

I always thought there was a weird taste to Budweiser too . . .  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/08 at 6:04 am

I always thought there was a weird taste to Budweiser too . . .  ???
There is a weird taste to Fosters too

Written By: Jessica on 08/11/08 at 6:30 pm

Oh my gosh, I'm so frickin' happy!  I went to a corner market over here and found Mexican Coke in the glass bottles!

*happy dance*

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/08 at 5:46 am

What does ceraminc taste like?

Check for new replies or respond here...