inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good-bye, Mother's Cookies...

Written By: Jessica on 11/03/08 at 4:02 pm

If you grew up on the West Coast, chances are you've eaten Mother's Cookies.  Unfortunately they went bankrupt, and we will not have their wonderful little iced circus animal cookies anymore. :\'(

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/09/BU6413DQQO.DTL

My mom sent me some of their double fudge and chocolate chip cookies, possibly from the last batch of them that were distributed, because I can't find them over here.

One of my fondest memories from childhood is getting the bag of mixed cookies and picking out all the chocolate chip and double fudge ones.  That and a glass of milk made the perfect snack.

Subject: Re: Good-bye, Mother's Cookies...

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/08 at 4:28 pm

Oh man, that's a bummer (I'm from the Bay Area too). :( Hopefully they'll still have a few at certain stores in leftover or dead stock until 2009 or '10 but it's definitely the end of an era. I liked the iced oatmeal ones especially.

Written By: star80 on 11/03/08 at 4:54 pm

That's interesting, because they have a manufacturing plant right here in Louisville, Kentucky close by where I live and they don't even sell them in the stores around here.  I've known people that have worked there in the past and that is the only reason I've even ever got to taste any of their cookies.  I remember their moon pies, too.

Written By: Midas on 11/03/08 at 5:25 pm

I think the only Mother's cookies I really liked were the double-fudge and chocolate chip ones.  The iced circus animal cookies were okay.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/03/08 at 9:29 pm

The iced circus animal cookies were okay.

Only "okay?" 

BLASPHEMER!  UNCLEAN!

When the econapocalypse comes, my tribe shall be the richest in its land, for we shall own the last bags of iced circus animal cookies in the world!

When we heard the news, some cow orkers and I made a run to the nearest supermarket and collectively bought a case of the things.  We've been doling them out to our officemates ever since, and we are now looked upon as gods walking among men.

It was a depressing day, knowing that these pink, purple, and white bags of joy contained the last cookies of their kind.  When the last circus animal cookie is eaten, that's it.  They're gone.  Extinct. 

Written By: Midas on 11/03/08 at 9:41 pm

The icing left an icky film on my teeth! 8-P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/03/08 at 9:42 pm

If you grew up on the West Coast, chances are you've eaten Mother's Cookies.  Unfortunately they went bankrupt, and we will not have their wonderful little iced circus animal cookies anymore. :\'(

My mom sent me some of their double fudge and chocolate chip cookies  That and a glass of milk made the perfect snack.
oh man, that's right! those ^ are my two favorite cookies made by Mother's. we've enjoyed them for many years, in fact we just finished off a bag of the iced circus animal cookies about 2 weeks ago. darn those are hecka good. I need to go out and see if they have any in the stores and hoard them and maybe I'll send a bag or 2 to Chicago for Christmas  8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/03/08 at 9:47 pm

The icing left an icky film on my teeth! 8-P

Of course it did.  That was the point! 

Seriously, that was one of the things that I liked about 'em.  The contrast between the waxy hydrogenated palm kernel oil / corn syrup icing, versus the crisp pure-sugar bursts of flavor from the crunchy little sugar balls, and the crumbly texture of the underlying animal cracker was a great combination of textures and flavors, and more importantly, one that cannot be easily duplicated by home cooking. 

There are better cookies out there, but there will never be a cookie the same as the Mother's iced circus animal.  They were unique.

Written By: Jessica on 11/03/08 at 10:42 pm

oh man, that's right! those ^ are my two favorite cookies made by Mother's. we've enjoyed them for many years, in fact we just finished off a bag of the iced circus animal cookies about 2 weeks ago. darn those are hecka good. I need to go out and see if they have any in the stores and hoard them and maybe I'll send a bag or 2 to Chicago for Christmas  8)

Yes, please. :D

Those are actually the two flavors that my mom sent me because all the circus animals were gone from the local store.

Seriously, that was one of the things that I liked about 'em.  The contrast between the waxy hydrogenated palm kernel oil / corn syrup icing, versus the crisp pure-sugar bursts of flavor from the crunchy little sugar balls, and the crumbly texture of the underlying animal cracker was a great combination of textures and flavors, and more importantly, one that cannot be easily duplicated by home cooking. 

There are better cookies out there, but there will never be a cookie the same as the Mother's iced circus animal.  They were unique.

I said that to Rice about five seconds before scrolling down to your post. ;D

Written By: nally on 11/03/08 at 10:59 pm

My mom sent me some of their double fudge and chocolate chip cookies, possibly from the last batch of them that were distributed, because I can't find them over here.

One of my fondest memories from childhood is getting the bag of mixed cookies and picking out all the chocolate chip and double fudge ones.  That and a glass of milk made the perfect snack.

I have been very familiar with these cookies; in fact, I grew up eating them! I loved eating those cute little circus animals when I was little!! It's a shame to see them go. :\'(

I've eaten their other cookie products too...but I think the iced circus animals were my faves as a little kid.

You are so right about that...they were definitely one of a kind.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/03/08 at 11:05 pm

Yes, please. :D

Those are actually the two flavors that my mom sent me because all the circus animals were gone from the local store.

If I find some i will. hopefully I'll be stocking up on Mother's Cookies in the next day or 2

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/07/08 at 8:21 pm

That's so sad to hear! I used to love buying the variety pack (included the circus animals). Next time I go to the grocery store I'll see if there's any left.  :(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/08 at 8:23 pm

i keep forgetting to scour the store shelves for Mothers cookies  :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/08 at 8:45 pm

I've been checking every store and there are no Mother's cookies to be found  :\'(    but I'm gonna keep looking until I find the last remaining bag of double fudge or iced circus animal cookies. It will be mine...oh yes, it will be mine.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/21/08 at 1:49 am

hehe, I feel like I just ate one all over again!  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/21/08 at 1:52 am

Seriously, though. This really saddens me, as I've also grown up on them and used to totally binge on those small choc. chip cookies in the big bag. I used to love the animal frosted cookies, too. I never knew that they were mainly a west coast thing, always seemed national. East Coasters don't know what they were missing! I am going to search them out and buy some stuff so I can have one last taste of them before they go  :\'(

I hope they don't take away the animal crackers next, the ones that had the cute little string so you could carry them around.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/08 at 1:54 am

you can find some online but they are at least 3x's the regular price. Is it worth it? I must think so because I'm snacking on some Mother's Iced Circus Animal cookies at this very moment  :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/21/08 at 1:59 am

you can find some online but they are at least 3x's the regular price. Is it worth it? I must think so because I'm snacking on some Mother's Iced Circus Animal cookies at this very moment  :D

>:(  ;D Don't forget I don't live that far from you...  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/08 at 2:07 am

>:(   ;D Don't forget I don't live that far from you...  ;D
that's right, you're only 30-40 minutes from me. I tell you what Kristen, we can do this like a drug deal.  I'll meet you at Walnut Creek Plaza, and give you a bag of Mother's. the first dose is free and then once you're hooked, you'll keep coming back  :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/21/08 at 2:44 pm

that's right, you're only 30-40 minutes from me. I tell you what Kristen, we can do this like a drug deal.  I'll meet you at Walnut Creek Plaza, and give you a bag of Mother's. the first dose is free and then once you're hooked, you'll keep coming back  :D

hehe, soon I would start injecting that pink high fructose sugary substance into my veins...  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/08 at 11:23 pm

A faint ray of hope!

On December 3, the Catterson Partners bankruptcy sale was completed.  Lance, Inc. now owns the assets of Archway Cookies, and re-opened the Ashland, Ohio plant last week.  The language of Lance's press release is ambiguous whether the Ohio facility will be producing Lance-branded products, or private label products intended for large retail chains.

In the other half of this sale, Kellogg's purchased the assets of Mother's Cookies.  Specifically, the language in the headline of the press release ("Kellogg Company Acquiring Trademarks and Recipes of Mother's Cake & Cookie Co.") indicates that they're not going to be re-opening any of Mother's old factories -- "It said it did not purchase any other assets of the company" -- but it looks like Kellogg will be reproducing many of the old recipes at its existing plants, under the Mother's brand: "Kellogg plans to reintroduce many of Mother's Cookies most popular cookies. Mother's Cookies brands include iced animal crackers, sandwich cookies and wire cut cookies."

The bad news is that we'll no longer be able to achieve local dominance by using our stashes of Mother's Cookies as currency, so it's time to trade 'em for favors while their value is still inflated and before word gets out that they're coming back.  Better yet, just eat 'em.  You know that purple, pink, and white bag that's been staring you in the eye from the top shelf of the cupboard for the past few months?  Well, tear that sucker open tomorrow and chow down the way God intended.

The good news is that we'll likely see some variation of the classic cookies on the shelves in 2009.  Hoarders would be well advised to keep at least one bag in reserve for comparison purposes, and to ensure that Kellogg is on notice that any attempt to pull a "New Coke" on us will not be tolerated.

Onward!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/26/08 at 1:08 pm

It's a Christmas miracle!!

Written By: Jessica on 12/26/08 at 1:30 pm

The good news is that we'll likely see some variation of the classic cookies on the shelves in 2009.  Hoarders would be well advised to keep at least one bag in reserve for comparison purposes, and to ensure that Kellogg is on notice that any attempt to pull a "New Coke" on us will not be tolerated.

Onward!

That's what I'm afraid of.  Luckily, Badfinger Fan hooked me up with three bags of the cookies, and since they're so preservative laden, they'll keep until Kellogg's starts making them again. :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/27/08 at 12:55 am

That's what I'm afraid of.  Luckily, Badfinger Fan hooked me up with three bags of the cookies, and since they're so preservative laden, they'll keep until Kellogg's starts making them again. :D

Karma to both of you for foresight and trading skills.  When the time comes, we expectdemand a full report.

Unless they crack in the bag, they're individually/hermetically sealed in by the icing, so there's very little exposed cookie area into which moisture can enter/leave, leading to staleness.

Preliminary report:  A bag of iced animal crackers dated "Best before February 2009" was absolutely the same as I remember them always tasting.  Same texture, appearance, and taste.  I couldn't tell the difference between the ones that were cracked in the bag, vs. cookies that were intact.

From this, I speculate that as long as they're stored in a relatively cool, dry place, they'll be good for at least 6-12 months after their "best-before" date.  The label of "best before" pertains to shelf life is advisory and concerns food quality, not food safety; it's a "best before", not a "use or freeze by" date.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/27/08 at 1:11 am

I have 2 bags left. they're good until Mar 09. I like mine at room temp, but Diane & Julie like their's chilled in the fridge. how do you like yours?  ???

Karma to both of you for foresight and trading skills.  When the time comes, we expectdemand a full report.

Unless they crack in the bag, they're individually/hermetically sealed in by the icing, so there's very little exposed cookie area into which moisture can enter/leave, leading to staleness.

Preliminary report:  A bag of iced animal crackers dated "Best before February 2009" was absolutely the same as I remember them always tasting.  Same texture, appearance, and taste.  I couldn't tell the difference between the ones that were cracked in the bag, vs. cookies that were intact.

From this, I speculate that as long as they're stored in a relatively cool, dry place, they'll be good for at least 6-12 months after their "best-before" date.  The label of "best before" pertains to shelf life is advisory and concerns food quality, not food safety; it's a "best before", not a "use or freeze by" date.
dude, you're amazing with your Mother's Cookie knowledge  :o  that's great. so our cookies should be fresh and tasty for awhile if kept in cool dry location. that's most excellent.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/27/08 at 7:39 pm

I hope Kellogg's makes the cookies as good as the original.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/08/09 at 12:18 am

I just opened up a bag of http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2932476750_17303c6005.jpg?v=0 that were tucked away in a cubboard and those bags are really sealed tightly. the expire date is March 2009 and these things are crisp and tasty.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/08/09 at 11:49 am

Do you think they may have some more at the grocery store? Or, do you think their inventory has already been depleted??? Wahhh  :\'(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/08/09 at 12:27 pm

Do you think they may have some more at the grocery store? Or, do you think their inventory has already been depleted??? Wahhh  :\'(
the stores have pretty much been depleted and you won't find any Mother's cookies. I looked in several stores for them. you can still buy them online from food distributors and even on Ebay but you'll pay 3 times the regular price. are they worth it? 

YES!  :D 

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/15/09 at 8:59 pm

The original ETA was June 2009, but March has provided multiple independent reports that something bearing a promising resemblance to Mother's Cookies can be had at Safeway stores (and presumably other retailers). 

The Safeway photo shows them branded/stocked as NBC Classics (Nabisco Classics).  Nabisco is a subsidiary of Kellog's, who purchased the rights to the recipes last year.

We're also seeing disturbing reports that they're flavored with lemon.

More on this situation as it develops.  Let's hope that the March cookies are a test market, and that the right feedback gets to the right people at Kellog's, and they elect to correct this dastardly mistake.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/16/09 at 5:28 pm

The original ETA was June 2009, but March has provided multiple independent reports that something bearing a promising resemblance to Mother's Cookies can be had at Safeway stores (and presumably other retailers). 

The Safeway photo shows them branded/stocked as NBC Classics (Nabisco Classics).  Nabisco is a subsidiary of Kellog's, who purchased the rights to the recipes last year.

We're also seeing disturbing reports that they're flavored with lemon.

More on this situation as it develops.  Let's hope that the March cookies are a test market, and that the right feedback gets to the right people at Kellog's, and they elect to correct this dastardly mistake.
They are in stock at Safeway. I saw the Nabisco Classics today while at lunch. the iced circus animals were on sale 2 for $4 and I did not see anything in the ingredients that say lemon flavoring, but there was a oatmeal cookie that was lemon flavored.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/22/09 at 9:15 pm

Picked some up this afternoon.

I don't get the "lemon" flavor they mention, but I do taste the extra salt, and I think that's what they're picking up on. 

The mouthfeel of the icing is completely different.  Much less waxy, much more prone to goop up the fingers.  It might have even won in a focus group of people who'd never tasted either cookie before, but... it's definitely not the same as the original.

Also, the underlying cookie is subtly different, and I think the poster on the other blog who suggested they're PT Barnum's Animal Crackers with a different coating is dead-on.  There's a big economy of scale to be had in using an existing cookie line, and just adding a sugary coating to it at the last stage of the process.

You can prove this yourself.  Just take one of the new cookies and hold it under the hot water tap for a few moments.  The coating will literally wash away within seconds in a way that simply would not happen with the original.  The underlying cookie is quite well-detailed for a cookie that - if designed for this from the ground up - would never be seen by the eater.  Who knew that was a koala bear under there?

Sadly, the posters on the other blog don't seem to realize that Nabisco's a subsidiary of Kellogg's, and I haven't got the heart to tell 'em that these are the Kelogg's cookies they've - and we've - all been waiting for.  The Real Thing ain't gonna happen.  Kellogg bought the brand, which gave them the right to use the recipe... but it also gave them the right to use any recipe they wanted, and to sell 'em as the original. 

I clipped out the label from my last bag of the originals, and have compared it with the new pretender to the throne, and there are some telling differences:

Mother's Iced Animal Cookies
Serving Size: 6 cookies (29g)
Calories: 150 (70 from fat)
Total fat: 7g (saturated fat, 7g, trans fat 0g)
Sodium 60mg
Total Carbs: 19g (fiber 0g, sugars 12g)

Nabisco Classics
Serving Size: 7 cookies (29g) < OK, so they're a bit smaller, but the serving size is the same.
Calories: 140 (50 from fat)
- BIG red flag.  Similar calories, but much less fat.
Total fat: 6g (saturated fat, 4g, trans fat 0g, polyunsaturated fat 1g, monounsaturated fat 0g)
- But 4+1=5, so why's the total 6?  There's rounding error.  The two 0g-of-fats must be present in <0.5g amounts.
Sodium 90mg
- We have less fat, and different fats, and 50% more salt.  That's the taste difference that's being picked up as "lemony".  Probably the biggest taste difference.
Potassium 25mg
- Not present in original recipe, not sure where it comes in on the recipe list.
Total carbs: 21g (fiber 0g, sugars 14g)

And the ingredients:

Sugar
Hydrogenated palm kernel oil
Flour
Skim milk
Corn starch
2% or less of:
HFCS,
Corn syrup,
Salt,
Baking soda, ammonium bicarbonate,
Artificial flavor,
Eggs,
Soy lecithin,
Color (Titanium dioxide and other colors),
Confectioner's glaze,
Carnauba wax.

Nabisco Classics Imitation
Sugar
Flour (uh oh, more flour than oil!)
Soybean oil and/or partially-hydrogenated palm kernel and/or cottonseed oil (basically "whatever oil's cheapest this month")
HFCS
Yellow corn flour
Colors (the usual FD&C numbers, but oddly, no white titanium dioxide)
Milk (holy crap, milk's way down on the list)
Reduced minerals whey (basically, a by-product of milk/cheese processing.)
Skim milk
Salt
Soy lecithin,
Baking soda,
Cornstarch,
Natural/artificial flavors,
Confectioner's glaze,
Carnauba wax.

Titanium dioxide is an inert white powder used in sunscreens; it's probably what made the original cookies so blindingly white.  The new cookies don't have any "white" food coloring; although they're just as blindingly-white, it's probably due to the use of corn starch and/or milk solids. 

This probably explains part of the difference in texture/mouthfeel.  The old cookies had a waxy mouthfeel, and were probably made with corn syrup bound together with TiO2, whereas the new cookies are merely corn syrup and colors, and are much more prone to melting/smearing on the fingers.

The cookie batter is undoubtedly different; more salt (90g vs 60g per serving), more flour than oil (from the order of the ingredients), the addition of a small amount of yellow corn flour, and the removal of eggs.  (Hmm, perhaps the yellow corn flour imparts the same color to the cookies as the eggs once did?)

Conclusion

Try some, write your Nabisco distributor, and demand nothing less than the release of a Nabisco Classic "Classic" alongside the "New".  Because even if the focus group taste tests were overwhelmingly opposed to the original (which was part of how Coke got it wrong in the 80s) this Nabisco Classic looks a lot more like New Coke than Coke Classic.  It's a respectable cookie, but it's not the Real Thing. 

Mother's Cookies, R.I.P.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/11/09 at 8:18 pm

Tragic how the food standards in this country just continue to deteriorate and everyone acts like its just fine and dandy. I guess as long as the public can Twitter and has a reality show to watch, they don't care what they eat.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/13/09 at 7:49 pm

I don't get the "lemon" flavor they mention, but I do taste the extra salt, and I think that's what they're picking up on. 

The mouthfeel of the icing is completely different.  Much less waxy, much more prone to goop up the fingers.  It might have even won in a focus group of people who'd never tasted either cookie before, but... it's definitely not the same as the original.

Also, the underlying cookie is subtly different, and I think the poster on the other blog who suggested they're PT Barnum's Animal Crackers with a different coating is dead-on.  There's a big economy of scale to be had in using an existing cookie line, and just adding a sugary coating to it at the last stage of the process.

You can prove this yourself.  Just take one of the new cookies and hold it under the hot water tap for a few moments.  The coating will literally wash away within seconds in a way that simply would not happen with the original.  The underlying cookie is quite well-detailed for a cookie that - if designed for this from the ground up - would never be seen by the eater.  Who knew that was a koala bear under there?

Sadly, the posters on the other blog don't seem to realize that Nabisco's a subsidiary of Kellogg's, and I haven't got the heart to tell 'em that these are the Kelogg's cookies they've - and we've - all been waiting for.  The Real Thing ain't gonna happen.  Kellogg bought the brand, which gave them the right to use the recipe... but it also gave them the right to use any recipe they wanted, and to sell 'em as the original. 

I clipped out the label from my last bag of the originals, and have compared it with the new pretender to the throne, and there are some telling differences:

Serving Size: 6 cookies (29g)
Calories: 150 (70 from fat)
Total fat: 7g (saturated fat, 7g, trans fat 0g)
Sodium 60mg
Total Carbs: 19g (fiber 0g, sugars 12g)

Nabisco Classics
Serving Size: 7 cookies (29g) < OK, so they're a bit smaller, but the serving size is the same.
Calories: 140 (50 from fat)
- BIG red flag.  Similar calories, but much less fat.
Total fat: 6g (saturated fat, 4g, trans fat 0g, polyunsaturated fat 1g, monounsaturated fat 0g)
- But 4+1=5, so why's the total 6?  There's rounding error.  The two 0g-of-fats must be present in <0.5g amounts.
Sodium 90mg
- We have less fat, and different fats, and 50% more salt.  That's the taste difference that's being picked up as "lemony".  Probably the biggest taste difference.
Potassium 25mg
- Not present in original recipe, not sure where it comes in on the recipe list.
Total carbs: 21g (fiber 0g, sugars 14g)

And the ingredients:

Sugar
Hydrogenated palm kernel oil
Flour
Skim milk
Corn starch
2% or less of:
HFCS,
Corn syrup,
Salt,
Baking soda, ammonium bicarbonate,
Artificial flavor,
Eggs,
Soy lecithin,
Color (Titanium dioxide and other colors),
Confectioner's glaze,
Carnauba wax.

Nabisco Classics Imitation
Sugar
Flour (uh oh, more flour than oil!)
Soybean oil and/or partially-hydrogenated palm kernel and/or cottonseed oil (basically "whatever oil's cheapest this month")
HFCS
Yellow corn flour
Colors (the usual FD&C numbers, but oddly, no white titanium dioxide)
Milk (holy crap, milk's way down on the list)
Reduced minerals whey (basically, a by-product of milk/cheese processing.)
Skim milk
Salt
Soy lecithin,
Baking soda,
Cornstarch,
Natural/artificial flavors,
Confectioner's glaze,
Carnauba wax.

Titanium dioxide is an inert white powder used in sunscreens; it's probably what made the original cookies so blindingly white.  The new cookies don't have any "white" food coloring; although they're just as blindingly-white, it's probably due to the use of corn starch and/or milk solids. 

This probably explains part of the difference in texture/mouthfeel.  The old cookies had a waxy mouthfeel, and were probably made with corn syrup bound together with TiO2, whereas the new cookies are merely corn syrup and colors, and are much more prone to melting/smearing on the fingers.

The cookie batter is undoubtedly different; more salt (90g vs 60g per serving), more flour than oil (from the order of the ingredients), the addition of a small amount of yellow corn flour, and the removal of eggs.  (Hmm, perhaps the yellow corn flour imparts the same color to the cookies as the eggs once did?)

Conclusion

Try some, write your Nabisco distributor, and demand nothing less than the release of a Nabisco Classic "Classic" alongside the "New".  Because even if the focus group taste tests were overwhelmingly opposed to the original (which was part of how Coke got it wrong in the 80s) this Nabisco Classic looks a lot more like New Coke than Coke Classic.  It's a respectable cookie, but it's not the Real Thing. 

Mother's Cookies, R.I.P.
They've been ressurrected in the old original packaging now  :o  at last post, these cookies were packaged in a red bag labeled classics.  I came home from work last night and saw a "original" package on the counter. I examined them and thought maybe my wife had got them online or maybe as a gift from someone. the expiration date is Dec 09 and then I looked at the side and saw Kellogs name and on the front it said "they're back"  so we opened them and noticed the cookie is thinner and crispier, almost like an original animal cracker. The packaging even says Mother's on it.
I call shenanigans!  >:(

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/13/09 at 10:41 pm

They've been ressurrected in the old original packaging now  :o  at last post, these cookies were packaged in a red bag labeled classics.  I came home from work last night and saw a "original" package on the counter. I examined them and thought maybe my wife had got them online or maybe as a gift from someone. the expiration date is Dec 09 and then I looked at the side and saw Kellogs name and on the front it said "they're back"  so we opened them and noticed the cookie is thinner and crispier, almost like an original animal cracker. The packaging even says Mother's on it.
I call shenanigans!   >:(

I saw Mother's Cookies in one of those weekly supermarket ads last week (it was either Albertson's or Smith's) and I thought it was a misprint!  :o

Too bad they're not the same as the original.  :(  :(

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/14/09 at 12:54 am

I call shenanigans!  >:(

OK, now the game gets interesting!

Gonna have to get me a bag of the "ones in the original packaging", and try 'em head-to-head against the red-bagged Nabisco "Classics" found at a local Safeway.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/14/09 at 7:54 pm

Gonna have to get me a bag of the "ones in the original packaging", and try 'em head-to-head against the red-bagged Nabisco "Classics" found at a local Safeway.
I think they'll be the same cookie red bag or new original 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/15/09 at 2:42 am

had about a dozen of the original packaging cookies tonight, and while they are slightly different...they're still good  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/09 at 10:10 pm

I think they'll be the same cookie red bag or new original 

Well, I've got a(nother) bag of red-bag cookies for the comparison.  And while I saw some Kellogg's-based products in Mother's Cookies packaging today, the only cookie sold out was the original-packaging Circus Animal cookies. 

So, my quest continues.  But promisingly, the cookies were in differerent shelf spaces.  So they're probably going to be different from each other.  The question will be which cookie was closest to the original.  Tomorrow is another day, and an excuse to visit another store.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/08/10 at 11:29 pm

I bought some Mother's "Iced Oatmeal" cookies yesterday to have after lunch at work with friends and I really didn't like them. they're all hard and crispy. I thought they'd be soft nad chewy

Subject: Re: Welcome back, Mother's Cookies...

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/17/12 at 11:06 pm

I need to formally retract what I wrote in the rest of that 2009 post.  Although the Mother's Circus Animal cookies in the red bag were complete fail, at some time between my last post in this thread and today...

I saw some Kellogg's-based products in Mother's Cookies packaging today, the only cookie sold out was the original-packaging Circus Animal cookies. 

So, my quest continues.  But promisingly, the cookies were in differerent shelf spaces.  So they're probably going to be different from each other.  The question will be which cookie was closest to the original.  Tomorrow is another day, and an excuse to visit another store.

So "Tomorrow" took a while, but at some point in the past three years, I did indeed pick up a bag of the ones in the Mother's Cookies packaging.  They were identical in quality, taste, and mouthfeel to the originals.  The product in the red bag was not, in fact, the intended replacement for Mother's Cookies, but they really did end up rebooting the brand, and the way they did so for the Circus Animal cookies was indistinguishable from the notoriousdeliciously waxy originals.

May whoever ends up acquiring the brands, recipes, and trade secrets from the now-bankrupt Hostess Brands do as well with Twinkies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/12 at 11:32 pm

Only God can make a tree, only Nabisco can make an Oreo.  Ahhh, processed foods!
:)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/21/12 at 7:46 pm

Only God can make a tree, only Nabisco can make an Oreo.  Ahhh, processed foods!
:)

Didn't we have an Oreo-vs-Hydrox thread a long time ago?  HuffPo has a 2012 update (single-page view beats 9-page slideshow) on the current crop of creme-filled sandwich cookies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/12 at 12:08 am

Didn't we have an Oreo-vs-Hydrox thread a long time ago?  HuffPo has a 2012 update (single-page view beats 9-page slideshow) on the current crop of creme-filled sandwich cookies.

Yeah, it's like the old Coca-Cola versus Pepsi debate.  It all comes down to what you like better...Coca-Cola Classic for me. 

I would like to see one of the Food Channel shows on which chefs compete to make the best facsimile of processed foods...

Check for new replies or respond here...