inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CHEESE

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/08 at 10:51 pm

Man, do I love cheese :)

My all-time favourite kind are Cheese Curds

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/6986/2626curds3lbsmixed1bw0.jpg

They are available in certain locations in some US States, but are more widely recognized in Canada as it's the main ingredient used to make Poutine.  Apart from that, they are usually found in supermarkets near checkout stands in little bags for around $3.  They are meant to be eaten within hours after purchase and man oh man are they ever tasty 8)

Subject: Re: CHEESE

Written By: gibbo on 11/24/08 at 3:05 am

This will be a Snozberries free zone..... ;D  Gotta love the cheese!  ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/24/08 at 3:12 am

I loves me some Cheese

my favorite is Cheddar:mild, medium, and sharp

Monterey Jack & Pepper Jack

smoked Gouda is nice

and I loves a good soft Brie with french bread

of course you can't have a pizza without some good gooey Mozzeralla

not one of my favorites, but one I will eat in a sandwich is Swiss

lots of shredded Parmesan is required on a Ceasar salad

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/24/08 at 7:17 am

Man, do I love cheese :)

My all-time favourite kind are Cheese Curds

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/6986/2626curds3lbsmixed1bw0.jpg

They are available in certain locations in some US States, but are more widely recognized in Canada as it's the main ingredient used to make Poutine.  Apart from that, they are usually found in supermarkets near checkout stands in little bags for around $3.  They are meant to be eaten within hours after purchase and man oh man are they ever tasty 8)
I love cheese too, and since I am lactose intolerant - most cheeses are dairy products that I can actually consume.

I love fresh cheese curds, we have a local cheese factory - and I love the curds fresh, at room temperature, when they still squeek when you eat them....

http://twincountydairyinc.com/images/dscf1236_rt7k.jpg

http://twincountydairyinc.com/images/dscf1199.jpg

;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: ninny on 11/24/08 at 11:51 am

I've never had cheese curds,but I do love cheese.Swiss,Monterey Jack,Colby,Muenster,Provolone,mild cheddar and cream cheese are my favs. I detest American Cheese,buy do like Velvetta.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/24/08 at 12:22 pm

Cheese curds are fabulous!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/24/08 at 4:17 pm

I love pepperjack, and here we have something called Farmer's cheese.  It's like mozzarella only its a little sharper.

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/24/08 at 7:22 pm

I like 'em REALLY strong. Often on  going to the supermarket ..... I'll check the various cheese packages. When they DO mention the strength .... say on a scale out of 5 ... well, I NEVER find one that says '5' 

4 is the best I can come up with !  :(

Usually, that'll be a Vintage Cheddar, aged 18 months or so (?)  ... sometimes (yum) 'Stilton' !

*TIP*
I generally cut the harder cheeses up, stick 'em on a plate, covering with a bowl, to stop it drying out too much. Examine around 30-45 mins later, some 'sweat beads' on it .. JUST right !  8)

I do like the soft cheeses too ... particularly blue vein.  :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/24/08 at 7:29 pm

I mostly like Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Swiss, Provolone, and Gruyere. I also like some Mexican cheeses, like Cotija, Queso Fresco, and Queso Panela.

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/24/08 at 7:37 pm

I mostly like  Monterey Jack

He's a nice fella ?

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/24/08 at 8:28 pm

He's a nice fella ?

Yes....he's really nice.....most of the time!  :D  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/24/08 at 11:50 pm

I forgot one of my favorites...Cream Cheese, either slathered on a bagel or used in great quantities for hot or cold crab & shrimp dips.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/25/08 at 10:07 pm

Favorite cheeses of mine are Monterey Jack, Swiss, Provolone and Mozzerellla.

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/08 at 10:50 pm

I forgot one of my favorites...Cream Cheese, either slathered on a bagel or used in great quantities for hot or cold crab & shrimp dips.

I forgot about that one too.  Nothing like some Philadelphia Cream Cheese on toast, bagels or crackers 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/25/08 at 10:56 pm

OMG...me LOVE cheese! My favorite is Lorraine Swiss. Yummy!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/26/08 at 1:28 am

I love Kraft American Cheese slices, not the stuff that says cheese product or cheese food, it just says American Cheese. I like to cut a slice into 4 squares and place each one on a saltine cracker

Written By: Gis on 11/26/08 at 2:52 am

As Wallace would say 'Mmmm Cheese'

I love most cheeses.

Written By: Jessica on 11/26/08 at 4:07 pm

As Wallace would say 'Mmmm Cheese'

I love most cheeses.

Jason loves that movie....and cheese, too. :D

I adore cheese.  Our local market has a HUGE selection of gourmet cheeses and free samples.  Sometimes Jason and I will walk down there just to partake of the freebies.

Mozzarella, sharp cheddar, blue cheese, and provolone are among my favorites.  I still want to try the curds, but need to find a place that sells them.  I know A&W has the fried curds though.  Anyone know if those are any good?

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/26/08 at 6:12 pm

Jason loves that movie....and cheese, too. :D

I adore cheese.  Our local market has a HUGE selection of gourmet cheeses and free samples.  Sometimes Jason and I will walk down there just to partake of the freebies.

Mozzarella, sharp cheddar, blue cheese, and provolone are among my favorites.  I still want to try the curds, but need to find a place that sells them.  I know A&W has the fried curds though.  Anyone know if those are any good?
Basically cheeseballs, good if you like deepfried salty cheese ;D ;D

Written By: Lindee on 11/29/08 at 3:18 pm

Cheese curds are fabulous!

When they're room temperature and they squeak.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/29/08 at 6:39 pm

I really love cheddar, mozarella and provolone. I once ate an entire package of Sargento's provolone in 2 days.  :D. My favorite thing int he world is string cheese sticks. Lord, I could eat thse all day.

Thank God for cows and goats and any other creatures that make milk for chesse.  ;D

I have a question--is Limburger really as bad as everyone says it is?

And speaking of cheese, did anyone ever see that show where in a remote Italian village this man and his family were enjoying a rotten cheese with "creatures" squiggling in it? (The name literallyt translated to rotten cheese) Wild man. I'm not that big a cheese enthusuast! LOL!  ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/29/08 at 7:01 pm

I really love cheddar, mozzarella and provolone. I once ate an entire package of Sargento's provolone in 2 days.  :D. My favorite thing int he world is string cheese sticks. Lord, I could eat those all day.

Thank God for cows and goats and any other creatures that make milk for cheese.  ;D

I have a question--is Limburger really as bad as everyone says it is?

And speaking of cheese, did anyone ever see that show where in a remote Italian village this man and his family were enjoying a rotten cheese with "creatures" squiggling in it? (The name literally translated to rotten cheese) Wild man. I'm not that big a cheese enthusiast! LOL!  ;)

So do you like deep fried mozzarella sticks?  I could live on those, risking cardiac arrest of course.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/29/08 at 7:55 pm

When they're room temperature and they squeak.
You must have a cheese factory nearby too - no one else know's that cheese curds need to be at room temperature to be best.  Me and my family love "squeeky cheese!"  Can not stand refrigerated cheese curds  8-P ruins them for me!  I bought a pound at the local factory, and then I left them out on the counter, husband put them in the fridge (trying to be helpful) he ended up having to eat the whole pound, no one else here would eat them!

Written By: Lindee on 12/02/08 at 10:09 am

You must have a cheese factory nearby too - no one else know's that cheese curds need to be at room temperature to be best.  Me and my family love "squeeky cheese!"  Can not stand refrigerated cheese curds  8-P ruins them for me!  I bought a pound at the local factory, and then I left them out on the counter, husband put them in the fridge (trying to be helpful) he ended up having to eat the whole pound, no one else here would eat them!

I don't have one nearby but we have taken drives to cheese factories that were anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours away. One of my favorite cheese factories closed last year  :\'(.  I had been going there since a was a kid. Some places have the curds sitting out at room temperature. I love that because we usually snack on them in the car.

Written By: Paul on 12/02/08 at 1:52 pm

Cheese is a BIG favourite of mine...'specially a good, strong cheddar...

However, Stilton and that horrid Danish Blue crap I won't touch... 8-P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/02/08 at 1:56 pm

Cheese is a BIG favourite of mine...'specially a good, strong cheddar...

Ooh...now you're talkin'!  :D

I love many cheeses, but my favorites are Cheddar, Gouda and Parmesan...Mmm!  :) 

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/03/08 at 2:59 pm

I do not like Sharp Chedder's  so much, but I do love Monteray Jacks, Farmers, Brie's, Camembret's, Feta, and many of the other White Cheeses - I DO NOT LIKE THE BLUES HOWEVER

Written By: Midas on 12/04/08 at 9:19 am

Cheddar
Mozzarella
Ricotta
Provolone
Havarti (YUM!)
Monterey Jack
Colby Jack
Pepper Jack

These are a few of my favourite cheeses... ;D

Tried a goat cheese spread on a bruschetta-type breadchip last time I grazed at Costco.  'twas good.

Don't like cottage cheese.  8-P

Written By: Kryllith on 12/04/08 at 2:17 pm

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/3083146738_bc998d1eae_o.jpg

This is my weakness, cheesewise. Last year I couldn't find it anywhere for about 6 months. Walmart finally got a big shipment of them and instead of selling them for $2.50/package like they normally do, they were selling them for 50 cents. I bought 30.

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/08 at 8:28 pm

I just had some Romani Cheese that i sprinkled poured over my spaghetti.  Tasty stuff it is! 8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/04/08 at 8:36 pm

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/3083146738_bc998d1eae_o.jpg

This is my weakness, cheesewise. Last year I couldn't find it anywhere for about 6 months. Walmart finally got a big shipment of them and instead of selling them for $2.50/package like they normally do, they were selling them for 50 cents. I bought 30.
Is this a port wine cheese spread- I have to get this every year around Christmas to go with my Pickled Herring - yummy.  Good Eats

Written By: Satish on 12/11/08 at 9:29 pm

Thank God for cows and goats and any other creatures that make milk for chesse.  ;D

Any creatures that make milk? That would include all mammals, including humans!

Come to think of it, I wonder if it'd be possible to make cheese from human milk? Someone should really try producing and marketing "human" cheese! It'd be quite the exotic delicacy!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/08 at 12:51 am

Come to think of it, I wonder if it'd be possible to make cheese from human milk? Someone should really try producing and marketing "human" cheese! It'd be quite the exotic delicacy!  ;D

I don't think anyone would want to eat it except for babies, and without teeth, it would be rather difficult for them LOL

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/13/08 at 5:04 pm

Perhaps Peta approved ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Similar to the icecream they were proposing :P :P :P

Written By: Michael C. on 03/22/09 at 4:54 pm

Have You tried Locatelli cheese on Pasta........?
Excellent !

I just had some Romani Cheese that i sprinkled poured over my spaghetti.  Tasty stuff it is! 8)

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/22/09 at 7:11 pm

So funny that there's a thread on cheese on here 'cause I just went to the store today and bought a block of extra old cheddar. Brie cheese is a close runner up, especially when it's at room temperature...and an extra bonus when it's paired with fruit or bread. Now I'm getting really hungry.  :P

Written By: anabel on 03/23/09 at 9:10 pm

I've never met a cheese I didn't like!!!   :P

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/14/09 at 7:03 pm

Smoked Fontina
Sharp Cheddar
Provolone
Pepper Jack

Like others here, I could eat mozzarella all day long. Love mozzarella sticks, and while I have eaten them at many places, I have yet to find any that taste as good as Arby's. I think the key is the batter they use to fry them in.

Never understood why so many people like mild cheddar. Its near tasteless, and actually tastes closer to butter than it does cheese.
I don't have one nearby but we have taken drives to cheese factories that were anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours away. One of my favorite cheese factories closed last year  :\'(.  I had been going there since a was a kid. Some places have the curds sitting out at room temperature. I love that because we usually snack on them in the car.
Yeah, our local cheese factory closed down years ago. Pretty sad. We used to go there a lot when I was a kid, and they had the best sharp cheddar in the world. My dad actually wouldn't cook certain dishes unless he had cheese from that specific factory.

Terrible how American companies that have been with us for decades simply go under, or are outsourced to different countries. Then people wonder why their food doesn't taste as good anymore.

I call it the "silent tragedy".

Written By: anabel on 05/16/09 at 7:34 am

There's a deli here called Too Jay's and they make a Gorgonzola Burger that is out of this world!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/09 at 4:11 pm

-Swiss
-Chedder (the sharper the better-and smoked is the BEST)
-Feta

Those are my favs but I like others, too.

The ones I don't like:
-Bleu Cheese
-Limburger
-Brae

The Rolls Royce of Chedder has to be

https://www.shopcabot.com/usr_images/siteImages/large/CheddarSampler071.jpg

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 06/12/09 at 9:26 pm

This will be a Snozberries free zone..... ;D   Gotta love the cheese!  ::)

ha.... I was going to resist the urge to post here but I have to ask... I was at a party/banquet the other night and they had a cheese on the table that smelled like feet..it was nasty... now why on earth would anyone eat something that smelled so bad....

the smell permeated the room  8-P

Written By: karen on 06/13/09 at 2:47 pm

ha.... I was going to resist the urge to post here but I have to ask... I was at a party/banquet the other night and they had a cheese on the table that smelled like feet..it was nasty... now why on earth would anyone eat something that smelled so bad....

the smell permeated the room  8-P

because it tastes nice?

Written By: snozberries on 06/13/09 at 2:49 pm

because it tastes nice?

aren't your taste buds connected to your olfactory nerves or something? I thought smell impacted sense of taste  :-\\

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/09 at 3:51 pm

aren't your taste buds connected to your olfactory nerves or something? I thought smell impacted sense of taste  :-\\

That's usually why people hate cheese.  It just doesn't do anything pleasant for a sense of smell.  If it's any consolation I know a few other people who hurl at the mere sight or smell of cheese.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/13/09 at 6:17 pm

I am obsessed with Provelone cheese. I just love the flavor of it, the smokiness. I like to eat it by itself, melted on bread in a grilled cheese or on a sammie with roast beef, lettuce and red onion.

I also LOVE plain cheesecake. You don't need to throw strawberries or blueberries on it. Just plain with a fork sticking out of it for me is fine.

On another note, has anyone tried that rotten cheese that has the little maggots crawling in it? I saw Andrew Zimmern eat on "Bizarre Foods" and he LIKED it!  :o

http://asthecheeseturns.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/rotten-cheese.jpg

I wouldn't dip a cracker in that even if Michael Jackson asked me to.  >:( Who would eat that? It's half eaten and when you put it on your cracker, it MOVES!  :o

Written By: Gis on 06/19/09 at 3:37 am

Had some extra mature cheddar yesterday so strong it made my eyes water YUM!!

Written By: Jessica on 06/19/09 at 10:31 am

The Rolls Royce of Chedder has to be

https://www.shopcabot.com/usr_images/siteImages/large/CheddarSampler071.jpg

Cat

OMFG, I bought some Cabot cheese from Costco one time.  LOVED IT.  Now our Costco doesn't carry it anymore. :\'(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/20/09 at 6:37 pm

Had some extra mature cheddar yesterday so strong it made my eyes water YUM!!

The cheese made your eyes water and that's a GOOD thing?  ???

Written By: Marian on 08/16/09 at 3:09 pm

I like irish cheddar from traderjoe's.

Written By: Lindee on 08/19/09 at 4:39 pm

Cheese on a stick at the WI state fair.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/09/10 at 9:23 pm

Would you eat cheese made from human breast milk?  ???
  just read this in the news..

Chef Creates Cheese With Wife's Breast Milk
Ben & Jerry's Turned Down Similar Request

A chef says that he has made a cheese from his wife's breast milk, WPTZ-TV in Plattsburgh, Vt., reported.

New York City chef Daniel Angerer, who co-owns the Manhatten-based European-American restaurant KLEE with his wife, Lori Mason, announced on his blog in early February that he had concocted a new cheese based on his wife's breast milk.

"My cooking instincts are rather natural (e.g., sourcing ingredients from the local market, eating sustainable seafood, buying free-range-all-natural poultry, and I certainly love a steroid free steak) but THIS is a whole other level of 'natural' -- Mommy's Milk, from a human mommy, not a cow, sheep or goat ...," Angerer said in a Feb. 6 post.

"I came about mother's milk when our daughter celebrated her 4th week birthday -- my spouse is feeding our baby with breast milk," Angerer wrote. "We are fortunate to have plenty of pumped mommy's milk on hand and we even freeze a good amount of it -- my spouse actually thinks of donating some to an infant milk bank which could help little babies in Haiti and such but for the meantime ... our small freezer ran out of space. To throw it out would be like wasting gold," he wrote.

And so the maple caramelized creation was born. Angerer even outlined his recipe for the cheese on his Web site.

In 2008, PETA approached Vermont ice cream company Ben and Jerry's to suggest using human breast milk instead of cow's milk. The company declined  :-\\

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/10/10 at 12:05 pm

Would you eat cheese made from human breast milk?  ???
  just read this in the news..

Chef Creates Cheese With Wife's Breast Milk
Ben & Jerry's Turned Down Similar Request

A chef says that he has made a cheese from his wife's breast milk, WPTZ-TV in Plattsburgh, Vt., reported.

New York City chef Daniel Angerer, who co-owns the Manhatten-based European-American restaurant KLEE with his wife, Lori Mason, announced on his blog in early February that he had concocted a new cheese based on his wife's breast milk.

"My cooking instincts are rather natural (e.g., sourcing ingredients from the local market, eating sustainable seafood, buying free-range-all-natural poultry, and I certainly love a steroid free steak) but THIS is a whole other level of 'natural' -- Mommy's Milk, from a human mommy, not a cow, sheep or goat ...," Angerer said in a Feb. 6 post.

"I came about mother's milk when our daughter celebrated her 4th week birthday -- my spouse is feeding our baby with breast milk," Angerer wrote. "We are fortunate to have plenty of pumped mommy's milk on hand and we even freeze a good amount of it -- my spouse actually thinks of donating some to an infant milk bank which could help little babies in Haiti and such but for the meantime ... our small freezer ran out of space. To throw it out would be like wasting gold," he wrote.

And so the maple caramelized creation was born. Angerer even outlined his recipe for the cheese on his Web site.

In 2008, PETA approached Vermont ice cream company Ben and Jerry's to suggest using human breast milk instead of cow's milk. The company declined   :-\\

I am all for giving breast milk to an infant milk bank, but I don't want to eat cheese made out of it.  I'm sorry.  It just skeeves me out.  I'm clearly not evolved enough.

Written By: Satish on 03/12/10 at 9:52 pm

I'd be a bit wary to try this human breast milk cheese. Considering all the bizarre things that humans eat and put in themselves, imagine what kind of stuff is floating around in our milk.  ;D

Written By: Midas on 04/05/10 at 12:14 pm

I'm eating cheese straws! :D

Written By: mooster on 04/17/10 at 9:44 pm

King Island Brie

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/17/10 at 10:34 pm

Can anyone tell me what a Stilton Blue Cheese tastes like? I see Ina Garten using it all the time,

Written By: karen on 04/18/10 at 7:10 pm

Can anyone tell me what a Stilton Blue Cheese tastes like? I see Ina Garten using it all the time,

Have you eaten any blue cheese?

Written By: lola669 on 04/19/10 at 10:27 am

Is this a port wine cheese spread- I have to get this every year around Christmas to go with my Pickled Herring - yummy.  Good Eats

Pickled Herring and port wine cheese...sounds like my parents house.  My dad always has pickled herring on Christmas.  I can't stand the stuff but I do like the cheese.

I like smoked cheeses. 

Check for new replies or respond here...