inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bubble and Squeak?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/05/09 at 5:31 pm

Hello Everyone!

;D A few days ago, I happened across a British man on the Food Network  and he was cooking and mentioned a dish called "Bubble and Squeak". I thought the name sounded cute and was wonderin g if anyone knew how to make this dish or what went into it.

Thanks for any and all replies!

Subject: Re: Bubble and Squeak?

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/09 at 7:17 pm

I just googled Bubble and Squeak and came up with several sites that list the recipe.  this one came from CDkitchen and apparently allows you to alter the number of guests you're feeding so it'll calculate the changes.

Ingredients:
1 pound Sausage meat
1/2 Onion, chopped
2 cups cooked chopped cabbage
Salt to taste
2 cups white sauce

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole. Cook the sausage meat in a skillet, breaking it up with a fork as it cooks. When no pink shows, transfer it to a bowl. Add the chopped onion to the sausage drippings in the skillet and cook until limp. Add to the meat and mix well.

Spread the meat on the bottom of the casserole. Cover with the cabbage, add salt to taste, then cover with the sauce, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until bubbling hot.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Bubble and Squeak serves/makes 4

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/05/09 at 10:26 pm

8-P It sounded soapy and after viewing the recipe I think I'd prefer chowing on a bar of Ivory...

Written By: Paul on 01/06/09 at 6:44 am

Bubble and squeak (shudder!)

The recipe above is not exactly how I remember it...the one I know and (gulp!) love comprises solely of cabbage and spuds fried up (although theorectically, you could throw anything in!)

I wouldn't touch the stuff if it were the last food on earth, but on the other extreme, my brother-in-law will eat the stuff cold!  8-P

Over the years, it's gained 'rhyming slang' status for Greek...so anyone of a Grecian origin can be referred to as a 'bubble' (not sure if it's PC in this day and age!)

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/06/09 at 7:09 am

Sounds like hash to me - meat, potatoes, and cabbage (possibly anything else you can find) chopped and fried..

Some love - some don't ???

Written By: Gis on 01/06/09 at 1:33 pm

Basically it is all the left overs from your sunday roast fried up with a beaten egg to bind them!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/09 at 1:53 pm

Bubble and squeak (shudder!)

The recipe above is not exactly how I remember it...the one I know and (gulp!) love comprises solely of cabbage and spuds fried up (although theorectically, you could throw anything in!)

I wouldn't touch the stuff if it were the last food on earth, but on the other extreme, my brother-in-law will eat the stuff cold!  8-P

Over the years, it's gained 'rhyming slang' status for Greek...so anyone of a Grecian origin can be referred to as a 'bubble' (not sure if it's PC in this day and age!)
You are right, I have never known meat to be in true Bubble and Squeak.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/06/09 at 2:04 pm

Hi Y'all!

I thought the dish sounded interesting.  I might give it a try and spring it on some of my friends, see if they like it. m LOL.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/09 at 6:59 pm

They say it is called Bubble and Squeak because of the sound it makes cooking.  I would think after all that cabbage percolating in your innards that Bubble and Squeak is the sound of your belly and your bum  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/09 at 7:39 pm

I must say- I never heard of it before.. I just googled it and copied the first recipe I found. Lots of recipes come up when you google bubble and squeak...perhaps the others might be more accurate.

Written By: karen on 01/07/09 at 11:16 pm

We always cook this on Boxing Day to use up all the leftover veggies from the Christmas meal.  I'm sure there is a real recipe around somewhere but I just mash up everything and then fry it.  The trick is turning it over when the bottom is cooked.

Check for new replies or respond here...