inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Way Of Cooking Chicken

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/17/09 at 8:42 pm

I would go with rotisserie or maybe grilled.

Subject: Re: Favorite Way Of Cooking Chicken

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/17/09 at 10:01 pm

I prefer to marinate and grill it, but this time of year it isn't always easy to get outside, so I normally bake it.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/09 at 10:05 pm

I prefer chicken cooked over charcoal on my grill, and then dunked in tasty bbq sauce when they're almost done, but this is a hard choice because I love fried chicken, but have never gotten the ideal recipe, and I love oven roasted with herbs and seasonings. man those smell good when they are cooking.  McCormick's poultry seasoning and salt & pepper work well. maybe massage a tiny bit of olive oil into the skin to keep it from drying

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/18/09 at 7:57 am

I love a good marinated and grilled.  But as ease of the recipe, I make smothered chicken a lot (green peppers, onions and mozzerella cheese).  I also like tequila lime chicken (which is a variation of the marinated/grilled breast and then a mayonnaise is put underneath and cheese all over on top) - now I am hungry.

I love the store rotisserie chicken, I often wonder if I get a rotisserie if it would turn out as well.  I also love fried chicken, but I have never tried to fry it myself - I do not fry anything- I love Ripps Chicken in Ladd Illinois - Yumm

Written By: nally on 02/18/09 at 10:49 am

I usually like it either baked or barbecued.

Written By: ninny on 02/18/09 at 11:16 am

Baked,Oven Fried or Grilled are good but my favorite is to have someone else prepare it. ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 02/18/09 at 7:17 pm

BBQ'd followed by fried.

signature banned as well

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/18/09 at 8:03 pm

I like rotisserie followed by grilled, broiled, or barbecued.

Written By: Jessica on 02/19/09 at 5:38 pm

Rotisserie.  Costco's is the best.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/19/09 at 11:47 pm

last Saturday I was watching one of my favorite cooking shows Cooks Country TV, America's Test Kitchen and saw them cook fried chicken and the next time I attempt to make some, I'm gonna use their recipe.

Extra-Crunchy Fried Chicken  http://www.cooksillustrated.com/images/document/recipe/2400_SFS_FriedChicken_CC_article.jpg
From the episode: All-American Picnic

Keeping the oil at the correct temperature is essential to producing crunchy fried chicken that is neither too brown nor too greasy. Use a candy/deep-fry thermometer to check the temperature of the oil before you add the chicken (see related testing). If you cannot find a chicken that weighs 3 1/2 pounds or less, or if you don't have a pan that is 11 inches in diameter, you will have to fry the chicken in two batches. Follow the recipe, frying the chicken four pieces at a time and keeping the first batch warm in a 200-degree oven while the second batch is cooking. If you want to produce a slightly healthier version of this recipe, you can remove the skin from the chicken before soaking it in the buttermilk. The chicken will be slightly less crunchy.

Serves 4.   

Ingredients
2 cups buttermilk plus 6 additional tablespoons
2 tablespoons table salt 
1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces, giblets discarded, wings and back reserved for stock (see note below for other options)
3 cups all-purpose flour 
2 teaspoons baking powder 
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme 
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 
4 - 5 cups vegetable shortening or peanut oil

Instructions
1. Whisk together 2 cups buttermilk and salt in large bowl until salt is dissolved. Add chicken pieces to bowl and stir to coat; cover bowl with plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Don't let chicken soak much longer or it will become too salty.)

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, thyme, pepper, and garlic powder together in large bowl. Add remaining 6 tablespoons buttermilk; with your fingers rub flour and buttermilk together until buttermilk is evenly incorporated into flour and mixture resembles coarse wet sand.

3. Working in batches of two, drop chicken pieces into flour mixture and turn to thoroughly coat, gently pressing flour mixture onto chicken. Shake excess flour from each piece of chicken and transfer to wire rack set over rimmed baking sheet.

4. Heat oil (it should measure 3/4 inch deep) in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven with 11-inch diameter over medium-high heat until it reaches 375 degrees. Place chicken pieces, skin-side down, in oil, cover, and fry until deep golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove lid after 4 minutes and lift chicken pieces to check for even browning; rearrange if some pieces are browning faster than others. (At this point, oil should be about 300 degrees. Adjust burner, if necessary, to regulate temperature of oil.) Turn chicken pieces over and continue to fry, uncovered, until chicken pieces are deep golden brown on second side, 6 to 8 minutes longer. (At this point, to keep chicken from browning too quickly, adjust burner to maintain oil temperature of about 315 degrees.) Using tongs, transfer chicken to plate lined with paper towels; let stand for 5 minutes to drain. Serve.

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/20/09 at 12:03 am

I love their rotisserie chicken too. Yum!  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/20/09 at 12:05 am

I love their rotisserie chicken too. Yum!  :)
me too  :)  it rocks

Written By: mooster on 02/20/09 at 4:52 am

Roasted, BBQ'd & Charcoaled

Written By: robby76 on 02/23/09 at 10:05 am

Stir-fried oriental style!

Written By: anabel on 03/16/09 at 8:11 pm

If it's chicken and it's cooked, I love it!  I'm a chicken-a-holic!

Has anyone ever heard of Jungle Jim's restraunts? ( I guess they're mostly in Canada, but there used to be one in Orlando)

They made a grilled chicken sandwich that has cheese, bacon, lettuce and peanut butter!! It's the most bizarre combination, but DEEElicious!!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/20/09 at 5:22 pm

I would go with rotisserie or maybe grilled.

I'm with you on that, Jonathan!  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/20/09 at 5:23 pm

You said it, girl!  ;)

Written By: Paul on 03/20/09 at 5:27 pm

You'll no doubt be delighted (and a bit relieved) to know that I don't eat this raw!  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/20/09 at 6:07 pm

You'll no doubt be delighted (and a bit relieved) to know that I don't eat this raw!  :D

I've never quite understood why some meats can safely be eaten raw (beef, lamb, fish) and yet others have to be cooked thoroughly (pork, chicken, turkey) or else they'll make you very sick... ???

Written By: Michael C. on 03/22/09 at 4:43 pm

Either BBQ {make My own sauce} or Buffalo {also make My own sauce}.

Check for new replies or respond here...