inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Do You Like Your Steaks?

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/17/09 at 8:45 pm

These are all I know.

Subject: Re: How Do You Like Your Steaks?

Written By: Midas on 02/18/09 at 9:03 am

Medium.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/20/09 at 12:45 am

medium rare, more towards the rare

Written By: mooster on 02/20/09 at 4:49 am

Medium-Well

I have a friend who likes hers Black and Blue  8-P

Black and Blue

http://www.goodcooking.com/steak/blkblue.jpg

Internal Temp. 100 ° F

Black and Blue: Seared black on outside, ice cold raw center and will be slippery soft in texture.

More types: http://www.goodcooking.com/steak/doneness.htm

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/21/09 at 1:01 am

Doesn't sound too appetizing. But then again neither did sushi. ;D ;D ;D
Medium-Well

Black and Blue

Internal Temp. 100 ° F

Black and Blue: Seared black on outside, ice cold raw center and will be slippery soft in texture.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/09 at 1:03 am

Medium-Well

Black and Blue

Internal Temp. 100 ° F

if it's high quality beef, it's probably ok, they serve kobe beef raw like sushi at some places. as for me, I want my meat cooked

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/21/09 at 1:10 pm

Medium Rare - the proper way to have a steak.

When I was in college, and I was in the Workplace Readiness class (remember I have a BS in Agriscience), they prepared us for Dinner Interviews.  If you were to have steak you should always have Med-Rare (or Rare) anything more would give an Agriculture related business the idea that you knew nothing about beef, and how it should be served. Along with all the other stuff, never use A1 or any other steak sauce (only use Butter, Salt and Pepper)....etc...

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/21/09 at 1:10 pm

Doesn't sound too appetizing. But then again neither did sushi. ;D ;D ;D
I like my steak warm all the way through.  But I do love sushi

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/09 at 1:54 pm

Medium Rare - the proper way to have a steak.

When I was in college, and I was in the Workplace Readiness class (remember I have a BS in Agriscience), they prepared us for Dinner Interviews.  If you were to have steak you should always have Med-Rare (or Rare) anything more would give an Agriculture related business the idea that you knew nothing about beef, and how it should be served. Along with all the other stuff, never use A1 or any other steak sauce (only use Butter, Salt and Pepper)....etc...
I would agree with you on butter salt and pepper. I like my steaks pan fried in butter also, with just a couple drops of olive oil to keep it from burning. the butter really brings out the flavor of the meat and I've seen them drizzle it on steaks at popular steakhouses

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/21/09 at 2:13 pm

I would agree with you on butter salt and pepper. I like my steaks pan fried in butter also, with just a couple drops of olive oil to keep it from burning. the butter really brings out the flavor of the meat and I've seen them drizzle it on steaks at popular steakhouses
When we grill steaks and take them off, we cover them with butter - makes my mouth water right now

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/09 at 2:26 pm

When we grill steaks and take them off, we cover them with butter - makes my mouth water right now
mine too http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/4.gif  I remember the first time I saw someone put butter on a steak, back in the 60's, my neighbor friends parents were grilling steaks and they put a pat of butter on each one which i thought was peculiar, but now I know they knew exactly what they were doing.  a NY steak for dinner tonight sounds good. 

Written By: wildcard on 02/21/09 at 2:30 pm

medium rare, more towards the rare.  My mom use to have me order medium all the time as a kid and one day I ordered medium rare and my mom was shocked, concerned " will that be cooked enough?'  " No, the planes gonna crash and we're all gonna die."      

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/09 at 2:31 pm

before Lady Di had Julie, she liked her steaks, meat, prime rib Well Done  :o  when she got pregnant, her tastes changed and she suddenly became bloodthirsty and starting ordering medium rare

Written By: loki 13 on 02/21/09 at 6:10 pm

depends on the cut, but anything over medium rare is a wasted piece of meat.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/23/09 at 4:05 pm

I guess my steak is just wasted meat then. I ALWAYS have my meat well done. I'm really afraid of things like E. Coli and Salmonella, and I don't want to take any chances.

And what's the deal with "aged" beef? Isn't that meat like rotten? I've seen it on tv and it looks GREEN. Why would I want to eat GREEN meat that's moldy?

Written By: Tia on 02/23/09 at 4:09 pm

medium well. pink in the middle just freaks me out.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/23/09 at 4:29 pm

Well done.  I can't stand to be able to taste the rawness.  Totally grosses me out.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/04/09 at 1:17 am

I guess my steak is just wasted meat then. I ALWAYS have my meat well done. I'm really afraid of things like E. Coli and Salmonella, and I don't want to take any chances.

If it's just the "health" reason, and not a "you prefer it that way", stop being afraid!

The bacteria are on the surface of the meat.  And they're only present if you're unlucky enough to be eating a steak from a cow that was unlucky enough to be contaminated at the slaughterhouse.  A steak is a solid chunk of meat from a single cow.  Even if you do it rare, everything on the outside of that meatchunk has been exposed to enough heat to kill everything.

If you grind up that chunk of meat into hamburger, you put the bacteria that were on the outside of the meat on the inside of the pile of burger.  And you then mix it with the same meat from chunks of meat from 100 other cows.

As a real-world anecdote for risk tolerance, I eat steaks medium-rare (whether doing them myself or at a restaurant).  I eat my own burgers medium-well (whether doing them myself or at a restaurant).  I serve my burgers to friends well-done.  I would eat a raw steak.  I would not eat raw hamburger unless I'd just finished grinding the meat (from a single chuck roast) myself within the past hour.

And what's the deal with "aged" beef? Isn't that meat like rotten? I've seen it on tv and it looks GREEN. Why would I want to eat GREEN meat that's moldy?

You've probably eaten dry-aged beef.  The stuff in the supermarkets is wet-aged, which is a slightly different process, relying primarily on time and the enzymes in the meat to break things down in a sealed packet.  In dry-aging, you have some extra help from that green stuff, but the crust is all carved off before the cut gets turned into steaks.  Between the spoilage that gets cut off, and the moisture (weight) loss, the butcher has thrown away a few pounds of the original cut, which is why dry-aged beef is more expensive than the wet-aged stuff you find at the supermarket.  (Both are good, just different.  Nothing wrong with either kind of steak.  Nothing unsafe with eating either kind of steak medium-rare.)

"Rotten" is in the mouth of the beholder.  Beer is rotten barley.  Wine is rotten grapes.  Cheese is rotten milk.  With beef, the dry-aging process relies on using enzymes secreted by certain species of molds, which work to break down some of the proteins in the meat, making it more flavorful and tender.  Much like salami or other cured meats (that white coating on the outside of some salami, for instance, is also a mold!), the presence of these microorganisms not only helps to alter the meat's chemistry, but it prevents bad things from growing.  Microbes aren't the problem - it's all about which species of microbes you're using, and you can control which species of microbes are present by properly controlling the temperature and humidity at which you age the beef.

For anyone pondering a DIY solution, do not attempt to age beef in your fridge.  Wrong humidity levels, and massive background contamination by nasty bacteria.  Also, a single steak is also far too small a piece of meat to age, even if you did have a proper cooler for aging.  (If you decide to experiment by aging a steak in your fridge, the health risk is minimal, because you'll throw the smelly thing away at the end of the first week, without having ever thought about cooking it.  Before there was the Internet, we couldn't just look it up, and we had to learn these things the hard way... and we wore onions on our belts, which was the style at the time...) 

Anyways, dry-aged beef is wonderful, but it's something for your butcher to worry about, and for you to enjoy.  (Doing it the other way around means you do all the worrying, and your butcher gets a good laugh about it when you tell him the story :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/04/09 at 5:14 pm

If it's just the "health" reason, and not a "you prefer it that way", stop being afraid!

The bacteria are on the surface of the meat.  And they're only present if you're unlucky enough to be eating a steak from a cow that was unlucky enough to be contaminated at the slaughterhouse.  A steak is a solid chunk of meat from a single cow.  Even if you do it rare, everything on the outside of that meatchunk has been exposed to enough heat to kill everything.

If you grind up that chunk of meat into hamburger, you put the bacteria that were on the outside of the meat on the inside of the pile of burger.  And you then mix it with the same meat from chunks of meat from 100 other cows.

As a real-world anecdote for risk tolerance, I eat steaks medium-rare (whether doing them myself or at a restaurant).  I eat my own burgers medium-well (whether doing them myself or at a restaurant).  I serve my burgers to friends well-done.  I would eat a raw steak.  I would not eat raw hamburger unless I'd just finished grinding the meat (from a single chuck roast) myself within the past hour.

You've probably eaten dry-aged beef.  The stuff in the supermarkets is wet-aged, which is a slightly different process, relying primarily on time and the enzymes in the meat to break things down in a sealed packet.  In dry-aging, you have some extra help from that green stuff, but the crust is all carved off before the cut gets turned into steaks.  Between the spoilage that gets cut off, and the moisture (weight) loss, the butcher has thrown away a few pounds of the original cut, which is why dry-aged beef is more expensive than the wet-aged stuff you find at the supermarket.  (Both are good, just different.  Nothing wrong with either kind of steak.  Nothing unsafe with eating either kind of steak medium-rare.)

"Rotten" is in the mouth of the beholder.  Beer is rotten barley.  Wine is rotten grapes.  Cheese is rotten milk.  With beef, the dry-aging process relies on using enzymes secreted by certain species of molds, which work to break down some of the proteins in the meat, making it more flavorful and tender.  Much like salami or other cured meats (that white coating on the outside of some salami, for instance, is also a mold!), the presence of these microorganisms not only helps to alter the meat's chemistry, but it prevents bad things from growing.  Microbes aren't the problem - it's all about which species of microbes you're using, and you can control which species of microbes are present by properly controlling the temperature and humidity at which you age the beef.

For anyone pondering a DIY solution, do not attempt to age beef in your fridge.  Wrong humidity levels, and massive background contamination by nasty bacteria.  Also, a single steak is also far too small a piece of meat to age, even if you did have a proper cooler for aging.  (If you decide to experiment by aging a steak in your fridge, the health risk is minimal, because you'll throw the smelly thing away at the end of the first week, without having ever thought about cooking it.  Before there was the Internet, we couldn't just look it up, and we had to learn these things the hard way... and we wore onions on our belts, which was the style at the time...) 

Anyways, dry-aged beef is wonderful, but it's something for your butcher to worry about, and for you to enjoy.  (Doing it the other way around means you do all the worrying, and your butcher gets a good laugh about it when you tell him the story :)
And so concludes today's episode of "Meats of Our Lives"  join us again when we will pursuing the Ultimate Marinade
;D ;D ;D

NO SERIOUSLY FOOBAR - Can you come and teach my Ag.Products and Processing class, The Meats Unit????  I could not have done it better myself!

Written By: whistledog on 03/04/09 at 8:54 pm

Through a vampire's heart ;D

I could eat a steak cook anyway.  I'm not fussy ...

"just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty ass, and chunk it right here on this plate"

Written By: whistledog on 03/04/09 at 8:55 pm

Through a vampire's heart ;D

I could eat a steak cook anyway.  I'm not fussy ...

"just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty ass, and chunk it right here on this plate"

As I was waiting for submit, I noticed I made a typo.  Rather than edit it, I'll roll with it ...

As well as a Steak Cook, I could also eat a Pork Cook and a Sausage Cook, maybe even David Cook.  When I'm hungry, I'll eat anything.  "Mmmm .. tastes like chicken!" :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/04/09 at 10:22 pm

With a lot of A-1 sauce oh and well done.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/05/09 at 9:37 pm

And so concludes today's episode of "Meats of Our Lives"  join us again when we will pursuing the Ultimate Marinade
;D ;D ;D

NO SERIOUSLY FOOBAR - Can you come and teach my Ag.Products and Processing class, The Meats Unit????  I could not have done it better myself!

/takes a bow.

In the interest of giving credit where credit's due, I owe it all to .torrents of Alton Brown's show and the glory of the Google to refresh my memory.

I'm actually pretty fanatical about food safety, so when I first heard how long "aged" beef was aged, I had the same sorts of questions as the original poster.

And for my next trick, pork doesn't have to be overcooked.  You can cook it to somewhere between medium-well and well-done, rather than until it's tough and stringy.  Commercially-grown pigs (vs. wild pigs) simply don't have trichinosis, and are leaner than the pork of 50 years ago.  The number of trichinosis cases in the past decade can be counted on one hand.  Don't undercook pork, but don't be so terrified of a nonexistent pathogen that you dry it out.

Poultry, whole 'nother ball game.  Cook that stuff 'till the juices run clear. 

(With the exception of eggs!  Commercially-available eggs are washed before packaging, reducing the incidence of salmonella to ~1:30000.  Any contamination is on the shell, not in the egg, so go ahead and enjoy an old-style egg nog, and don't sweat the raw egg in the recipe.  Just don't go out of your way to dunk the eggshells in the bowl of cracked eggs, nor lick the eggshells, nor anything else similarly silly, and you'll be fine.  If you're really paranoid about a raw egg, rinse it with a dilute solution of bleach and water, and put it on a rack for a few minutes to dry... then wash the rack, just to be sure :)

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 10:13 pm

I said Medium because a lot of cooks anymore never get it right.

I like it medium rare - but have to order medium or else it comes out Bleu and I hate that! 8-P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/06/09 at 1:28 am

Why do steakhouses overcook medium rare so often?  when going out to restaurants like Black Angus or Outback, be prepared to have your medium rare steak done medium. these places are notorious for that, to the point where I almost order it rare, hoping that they'll overcook it a bit and then it will be just right.  8)  I like Black Angus because sometimes I can afford tiier food. Now if I want a steak, a really nice piece of meat that's cooked to perfection, I'm gonna have to pay a good amount more $$$ at a nicer restaurant.
if you register on their website, Black Angus will send you a coupon for a free steak dinner worth $19.99 on your birthday. of course you have to buy one to get the freebie

Written By: Tam on 03/06/09 at 1:34 am

^ The only place I have found that I can order my steak medium rare and get it that way is Texas Roadhouse.

Oh, and a Restaurant in Baltimore called Morton's. 8)

Written By: gibbo on 03/06/09 at 1:42 am

^ The only place I have found that I can order my steak medium rare and get it that way is Texas Roadhouse.

Let's just settle this now!  Steak is eaten 'well done'....it MUST be completely dead...thus no blood still running through it's veins! Anyone who eats it any other way it probably mentally disturbed or something worse!  :o  Either way..they are just plain WRONG!

I sincerely hope that this clears the matter up!!! 8)

Written By: Tam on 03/06/09 at 1:44 am

Let's just settle this now!  Steak is eaten 'well done'....it MUST be completely dead...thus no blood still running through it's veins! Anyone who eats it any other way it probably mentally disturbed or something worse!  :o  Either way..they are just plain WRONG!

I'm not sure what you are saying Peter because obviously I am mentally disturbed! ;D ;D ;D

Can you repeat that for me? 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/06/09 at 1:46 am

is that the place on tv that has the 72 oz steak challenge?  just saw it on tv last night

we're talkin beek here, not  kangaroo meat  ::)

Written By: Tam on 03/06/09 at 1:51 am

is that the place on tv that has the 72 oz steak challenge?  just saw it on tv last night

we're talkin beek here, not  kangaroo meat   ::)

Not sure if it is the same place or not.... but their steaks are freakin awesome! 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/06/09 at 1:52 am

Not sure if it is the same place or not.... but their steaks are freakin awesome! 8)
I think it is unless the Texas Roadhouse is a chain, then it's not the same

Written By: Tam on 03/06/09 at 1:53 am

Ah - it isn't the same then because Texas Roadhouse is definitely a chain. :(

Written By: gibbo on 03/06/09 at 1:56 am

I'm not sure what you are saying Peter because obviously I am mentally disturbed! ;D ;D ;D

Can you repeat that for me? 8)

Maybe I'd repeat to another member...but not to you Tam!  :-\\ ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/06/09 at 1:58 am

Ah - it isn't the same then because Texas Roadhouse is definitely a chain. :(
I know the place you are talkin about though, and the nearest one is about 55 miles aways

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/06/09 at 6:52 am

THe Big Texas is the restaurant  in Amarillo, Texas that has the 72oz Steak Challenge.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/07/09 at 12:37 am

We have nothing like that in Indy. But I would like to see one of that glutton from The Travel Channel eat a 100 pound fried tenderloin with a heaping of hot onions and condiments. ;)
THe Big Texas is the restaurant  in Amarillo, Texas that has the 72oz Steak Challenge.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/07/09 at 1:01 am

yes, that's it.  I think I could probably eat a 24oz one, maybe...

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/07/09 at 7:17 am

yes, that's it.  I think I could probably eat a 24oz one, maybe...
I guess you would have to take the rest home in a doggy bag ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/07/09 at 2:44 pm

I guess you would have to take the rest home in a doggy bag ;)
I wouldn't get the 72 oz'r no way. that's too much  but if I did, a doggy bag would provide at least 6 more meals

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/07/09 at 10:44 pm

Why don't you give the rest to your dog? It is a doggy bad, you know? ;D
I wouldn't get the 72 oz'r no way. that's too much  but if I did, a doggy bag would provide at least 6 more meals

Written By: anabel on 03/14/09 at 9:47 pm

I've been to the Big Texan!  If you eat the whole 72 oz steak in ONE HOUR, it's free.  It's a lot of fun, it's as much tourist attraction as it is restaurant.  If you're ever in Amarillo, you gotta go! They have a webiste that has a webcam of people trying to complete the challenge-I've seen a few people try, but only one ever really finish. Here's the link: http://www.bigtexan.com/

People hate it when I order steak. They always do this  ::).  Everyone says I'm like Sally in "When Harry Met Sally" because of the way I order food. If I see the least bit of pink in it, I send it back.  Sometimes more than once. What can I say, I just want it the way I want it.  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 03/14/09 at 10:40 pm

I've been to the Big Texan!  If you eat the whole 72 oz steak in ONE HOUR, it's free.  It's a lot of fun, it's as much tourist attraction as it is restaurant.  If you're ever in Amarillo, you gotta go! They have a webiste that has a webcam of people trying to complete the challenge-I've seen a few people try, but only one ever really finish. Here's the link: http://www.bigtexan.com/

People hate it when I order steak. They always do this  ::).  Everyone says I'm like Sally in "When Harry Met Sally" because of the way I order food. If I see the least bit of pink in it, I send it back.  Sometimes more than once. What can I say, I just want it the way I want it.  ;)

I am totally the same way with steak. It MUST be dead!

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/15/09 at 2:34 pm

And hopefully they didn't torture the cow while it was alive.

I am totally the same way with steak. It MUST be dead!

Written By: Tam on 03/18/09 at 10:05 am

I have taken cube steaks out of the freezer for dinner tonight.
For the life of me - I cannot think of how to cook these!!

Any ideas?
Oven?
Stove top?
Broiler?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/09 at 10:17 am

Well done

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/09 at 10:18 am

Well done
...with chips!

Written By: Paul on 03/18/09 at 2:36 pm

Loooooovely!  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/18/09 at 2:53 pm

Loooooovely!  :D

Blech!  8-P  (Shivers at the thought of eating raw meat...)

I used to only eat steak that was well-done, but I've changed over the years (thanks to my husband's barbecuing skills)...

While I prefer medium-well these days, I can now eat steak that's cooked 'medium'... :)

Written By: Paul on 03/18/09 at 3:38 pm

Blech!  8-P  (Shivers at the thought of eating raw meat...)

Mmm...you've never lived! :D ;)

I used to only eat steak that was well-done, but I've changed over the years (thanks to my husband's barbecuing skills)...

While I prefer medium-well these days, I can now eat steak that's cooked 'medium'... :)

I could live with that as an absolute maximum, but I can't abide overcooked steak that has the texture (and taste) of cardboard!  8-P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/18/09 at 4:36 pm

Mmm...you've never lived! :D ;)

Oh, I beg to differ!  ;)

I could live with that as an absolute maximum, but I can't abide overcooked steak that has the texture (and taste) of cardboard!  8-P

Quite honestly, I don't care anymore for steak that's tough and has been overcooked...

...but there was a time when that was the only way I'd eat it!  :o

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/18/09 at 5:12 pm

I have taken cube steaks out of the freezer for dinner tonight.
For the life of me - I cannot think of how to cook these!!

Any ideas?
Oven?
Stove top?
Broiler?
Easiest and Best way I like to cook cube steaks is in the oven.

Brown steaks in a little oil in a skillet - just till brown.  Put Cube steaks in 9X13 dish and Pour a Can of French onion Soup over them (or you can use the dry Lipton Onion soup Mix with a cup of Water).  You can also put Mushrooms on them, if you are so inclined.  Cover with alunimum foil and bake for an hour at 350 degrees

Written By: Tam on 03/18/09 at 6:11 pm

Easiest and Best way I like to cook cube steaks is in the oven.

Brown steaks in a little oil in a skillet - just till brown.  Put Cube steaks in 9X13 dish and Pour a Can of French onion Soup over them (or you can use the dry Lipton Onion soup Mix with a cup of Water).  You can also put Mushrooms on them, if you are so inclined.  Cover with alunimum foil and bake for an hour at 350 degrees

Thanks Girl! 8)

I did them very similar to that - I used however a can of Beef Gravy, mushrooms and a little bit of water. Cooked them on 250 for 2.5 hours! They turned out pretty good. ;)

Written By: Michael C. on 03/22/09 at 4:45 pm

Has to be RARE.....or not at all.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/30/09 at 4:33 pm

Medium rare and juicy.

Written By: Frank on 12/30/09 at 5:17 pm

Medium-well done, only a wee tiny bit of juice.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/02/10 at 6:02 pm

Medium for me, although I've always wanted to try Medium-rare.

Written By: Robert on 05/21/10 at 2:22 am

Medium rare but a bit more towards the medium. Ordering a steak well-done is called giving license to burn. One of the smartest things I've ever seen on a restaurant menu was at the bottom of their steak section and it read:

"The Management of this restaurant will not be held responsible for steaks ordered well-done."

Written By: Howard on 05/21/10 at 6:43 am

medium rare.

Written By: lola669 on 05/21/10 at 7:37 am

When I was a kid, my mother would always over cook steaks.  I think she was trying to cremate them.  :D  I always HATED steak night. 

Now I eat my steaks Medium.  I don't like to cook my own steak, to me it always tastes better when someone else cooks it. 

Written By: Howard on 05/21/10 at 1:57 pm

I also like them a little crispy black charcoal burnt.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/10 at 11:19 pm

Medium rare.  All it takes is one sloppy line cook to fail to cook it thoroughly for you to end up with a bellyful of bad bugs!
8-P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/18/10 at 1:45 am

I just recently switched from medium-rare to Rare and I pretty much like them seared in a heavy skillet with a tiny bit of olive oil and butter, and seasoned with pepper, garlic powder, garlic salt and sometimes crushed chervil, a leafy herb

Written By: Howard on 08/18/10 at 5:22 am

medium rare.

Written By: ronobvious on 08/18/10 at 8:21 am

Medium

Well done steak hurts my soul.  :\'(

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 9:03 am

Medium rare.  All it takes is one sloppy line cook to fail to cook it thoroughly for you to end up with a bellyful of bad bugs!
8-P
This is the biggest misconception, and I will be backed by the USDA on this one...  You will/cannot end up with a bellyful of bad bugs from a rare steak.  Unless it is chopped steak, or completely raw, or rotten.  Salmonella does not live in muscle,  it is only transferred by foreign object (such as the blade of a knife, or cutting board, hands, or a marinating needle) so taking that your steak has not had any of these put INTO it, the outside is seared and cooked killing all surface contaminates... 

Now if you eat hamburger or chopped steak, or even injected beefs, rare these can run you into some serious problems...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/10 at 11:35 pm

This is the biggest misconception, and I will be backed by the USDA on this one...  You will/cannot end up with a bellyful of bad bugs from a rare steak.  Unless it is chopped steak, or completely raw, or rotten.  Salmonella does not live in muscle,  it is only transferred by foreign object (such as the blade of a knife, or cutting board, hands, or a marinating needle) so taking that your steak has not had any of these put INTO it, the outside is seared and cooked killing all surface contaminates... 

Now if you eat hamburger or chopped steak, or even injected beefs, rare these can run you into some serious problems...

Duly noted, Ma'am!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

I like my steaks with a raw egg on top!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/puke.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/25/10 at 1:33 am

And while we're on the subject, yes, that's exactly what aged beef is all about.  The mold is carved off (reducing yield, which is why it's expensive), and the remaining beef is even more tender than it would otherwise be. I've bought hunks of it that I've seen carved off the modly carcass.  I've cooked and eaten it medium-rare.  It's good.  Is it $25/lb good?  Seeing as how I can get $25/lb of pleasure out of a $10-15/lb filet/porterhouse, and I'm not so wealthy as to be able to just round off the extra $10/lb to rounding error.

But is it good?  Is it safe?  Hell, yes, to both.  Give me $10M, and I'd happily roll the dice not care if it comes up $10-15/lb grocery market steaks, $25/lb dry-aged locovore beef, or the $50+/lb Kobe/Waygu stuff.  I can taste the difference, but I enjoy all three.

So back to the start of this thread: I enjoy my cowsteaks medium rare, and I'm not gonna get any more specific than that.  Not even fussy about 'em being made of cow.  Herbivores: they're what's for dinner.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/10 at 7:57 pm

Herbivores: they're what's for dinner.

Tell it to the lions, sonny!
;)

Written By: Howard on 08/25/10 at 8:08 pm

burnt,it tastes delicious.

Written By: gibbo on 08/25/10 at 8:10 pm

burnt,it tastes delicious.

Agreed...well done is the best!

Written By: Howard on 08/25/10 at 8:11 pm

Agreed...well done is the best!

then you can put some A1 steak sauce on it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/10 at 8:31 pm

That's tasty!  Well-done with A1!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/25/10 at 10:19 pm

Duly noted, Ma'am!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

I like my steaks with a raw egg on top!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/puke.gif
Well then you can eat it all yourself, I had salmonella once, never care to do it again (and it wasn't from eggs, or burger) - damn exotic birds at a restaurant  :P (and they were on the other side of the facility - I still wonder who doesn't wash their hands)  ::)

Written By: gibbo on 08/25/10 at 10:24 pm

Well then you can eat it all yourself, I had salmonella once, never care to do it again (and it wasn't from eggs, or burger) - damn exotic birds at a restaurant  :P (and they were on the other side of the facility - I still wonder who doesn't wash their hands)  ::)

Well that brain teaser was easy.  The birds didn't wash their hands silly!  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/26/10 at 6:42 am

and a bit of pepper as well.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/26/10 at 7:09 am

Hilarious  ;D 

A-1 was originally made/invented in 1824.  It was used to cover up poor meat (due to the lack of refridgaration), it easily covered the taste of decay (which is why the flavor of A-1 is so strong).  And thousands still use it today, to cover up poor/well done steak!  Steak should not need "flavoring" unless it is a poor cut (i.e. shoulder/round steak). 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/10 at 9:20 pm

Hilarious  ;D 

A-1 was originally made/invented in 1824.  It was used to cover up poor meat (due to the lack of refridgaration), it easily covered the taste of decay (which is why the flavor of A-1 is so strong).  And thousands still use it today, to cover up poor/well done steak!  Steak should not need "flavoring" unless it is a poor cut (i.e. shoulder/round steak). 

Oh yeah, all that sauce and spice stuff.  It's not so much that Europeans in 16th century preferred the taste of cloves to fresh meat, but the taste of cloves was certainly preferable to the taste of stuff going bad!  Spice barons were made!  You had to be rich to afford spices.  The peasants were lucky to get any meat whatsoever!
:o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/10 at 12:55 pm

Somewhere between medium rare and medium. I like it pink but not bloody. It took me so long to convince Carlos that I didn't like it well-done. He likes his raw (well raw to me). How hard is to understand "pink but not bloody."

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/10 at 3:03 am

Somewhere between medium rare and medium. I like it pink but not bloody. It took me so long to convince Carlos that I didn't like it well-done. He likes his raw (well raw to me). How hard is to understand "pink but not bloody."

Cat

I've had a couple of run-ins with food-borne illnesses.  I like things cooked thoroughly nowadays!
:)

Written By: Howard on 09/06/10 at 6:45 am

Does anyone like ketchup on their steaks?

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/06/10 at 10:39 pm

Does anyone like ketchup on their steaks?

~hovers finger over the SMITE button~

http://www.theminorityreport.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/pulp_fiction_jules.jpg

Suggest putting ketchup on steak again.  I double-dog-dare you.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/06/10 at 11:17 pm

http://www.theminorityreport.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/pulp_fiction_jules.jpg

My sister puts ketchup on steak, Thanksgiving turkey, chicken, prime rib, country style bbq ribs - I could go on for days.  There is something very seriously wrong with her. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/10 at 12:11 am

My sister puts ketchup on steak, Thanksgiving turkey, chicken, prime rib, country style bbq ribs - I could go on for days.  There is something very seriously wrong with her. 

Nuh-uh!  Ketchup is the food of the gods!  A lot of my dates don't go so well 'coz I take 'em to Wendy's.  Lady, if you think youse too good for ketchup, you ain't good enough for me!

BTW, if you take your date to Wendy's, and you plan on some unnatural acts of intimacy, for the comfort of your partner and the safety of the block, DON'T GET THE CHILI!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses9.gif

Written By: Howard on 09/07/10 at 6:54 am

ketchup goes on just about any kind of meat.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/10 at 6:55 am

Nuh-uh!  Ketchup is the food of the gods!  A lot of my dates don't go so well 'coz I take 'em to Wendy's.  Lady, if you think youse too good for ketchup, you ain't good enough for me!

BTW, if you take your date to Wendy's, and you plan on some unnatural acts of intimacy, for the comfort of your partner and the safety of the block, DON'T GET THE CHILI!

just wait till you 2 get home. ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/07/10 at 8:47 am

My husdand puts ketchup on everything too, he even puts it on bologna sandwiches.  8-P
My son is following in his footsteps.  When he was really little he would eat ketchup, alone.  Just open a packet and suck it down.  It's the closest thing to a vegtable the kid will eat.  ;D

I rarely use ketchup on anything.

Steaks, medium.  Salt and pepper only for me.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/07/10 at 10:31 am

Unnatural acts?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/07/10 at 12:58 pm

My husdand puts ketchup on everything too, he even puts it on bologna sandwiches.   8-P
My son is following in his footsteps.  When he was really little he would eat ketchup, alone.  Just open a packet and suck it down.  It's the closest thing to a vegtable the kid will eat.   ;D

I rarely use ketchup on anything.

Steaks, medium.  Salt and pepper only for me.

Yesterday I put ketchup on my bologna sandwich,It doesn't taste that bad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/10 at 10:28 pm

just wait till you 2 get home. ;D

For which activity?
???

Written By: Howard on 09/08/10 at 6:38 am

For which activity?
???

I don't have to remind you!  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/08/10 at 9:48 pm

ketchup goes on just about any kind of meat.

~lowers weapon~

That I can abide.  Just about any kind of meat, except for steak.  (I could even make an exception for "on a patty made of ground steak")

BTW, if you take your date to Wendy's, and you plan on some unnatural acts of intimacy, for the comfort of your partner and the safety of the block, DON'T GET THE CHILI! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses9.gif

Now as for Wendy and the Chili.  What's unnatural about that?  There's not enough capsaicin in fast-food chili to be an issue.  

Now if you're making your own chili from scratch, and my 1-gallon recipe starts with one red bell pepper for color and bulk, half a dozen coarsely-chopped jalapenos for green and flavor, a handful of thinly-sliced serranos for green and burn, and 3-4 really finely-diced fhabaneros or (Scotch Bonnets) for awesomeness.

PROTIP: Do not even think of taking the shortcut of using a hand blender on 'em unless you wanna experience what being on COPS was like before law enforcement switched from pepper spray to Tasers.  Dicing habaneros without gloves and safety glasses is a bit safer - as in, about as safe as cooking bacon in the nude.  So yeah, your choice of that glasses-based smiley is right on the money.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/10 at 12:30 am

~lowers weapon~

That I can abide.  Just about any kind of meat, except for steak.  (I could even make an exception for "on a patty made of ground steak")

Now as for Wendy and the Chili.  What's unnatural about that?  There's not enough capsaicin in fast-food chili to be an issue.  

Now if you're making your own chili from scratch, and my 1-gallon recipe starts with one red bell pepper for color and bulk, half a dozen coarsely-chopped jalapenos for green and flavor, a handful of thinly-sliced serranos for green and burn, and 3-4 really finely-diced fhabaneros or (Scotch Bonnets) for awesomeness.

PROTIP: Do not even think of taking the shortcut of using a hand blender on 'em unless you wanna experience what being on COPS was like before law enforcement switched from pepper spray to Tasers.  Dicing habaneros without gloves and safety glasses is a bit safer - as in, about as safe as cooking bacon in the nude.  So yeah, your choice of that glasses-based smiley is right on the money.

Stop it, you're giving me the munchies.  I have to watch it with hot stuff, especially if I'm mixing with alcohol.  I don't mean alcohol as an ingredient.  I mean as a beverage.  If I'm blotto, I might pay less attention to my searing and pallet and my watering ayes and that malevolent warmth creeping inside my innards.  I don't know, some of these guys from other cultures, such as Asian, or Creoles who will eat everything, they really know how to make a good meal, but the hot stuff makes it unbearable for a Yankee boy raised on pot roast and mashed potatoes!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vuur1.gif

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/10/10 at 6:54 am

I've had a couple of run-ins with food-borne illnesses.  I like things cooked thoroughly nowadays!
Do I have to tell you again?  Food-borne illness is not going to come from eating rare steak, unless you are eating it raw, ground up or fettid.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/10/10 at 7:06 pm

lately I've been eating my steaks raw in the middle and seared only on the outside. a US olympic track coach told me the raw beef helps with mucsle repair for injuries like pulled hamstrings etc... he's since retired but he knows his stuff and this was about 6 weeks ago when he gave me that advice. these are good cuts of beef, that are very tender and I was surprised at how good it was raw on the inside, yet cooked about 1/4 inch from outside. and it seemed to speed up my recovery, I think.  ::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/10/10 at 7:51 pm

lately I've been eating my steaks raw in the middle and seared only on the outside. a US olympic track coach told me the raw beef helps with mucsle repair for injuries like pulled hamstrings etc... he's since retired but he knows his stuff and this was about 6 weeks ago when he gave me that advice. these are good cuts of beef, that are very tender and I was surprised at how good it was raw on the inside, yet cooked about 1/4 inch from outside. and it seemed to speed up my recovery, I think.  ::)
I LOVE my searing burner on the grill!  Get a great flavorful crust on the outside and rare on the inside O0

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/10/10 at 11:29 pm

I LOVE my searing burner on the grill!  Get a great flavorful crust on the outside and rare on the inside O0
I need me one of them there grills  ::)  my seared steak looked like these ahi tuna, but it was New York steak and all raw and red in the middle

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KJke0BBYtMlFoA3pSjzbkF/SIG=12frr5c43/EXP=1284265601/**http%3a//userpages.umbc.edu/~ebarat1/foodblog/seared_tuna.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/10 at 12:48 am

Do I have to tell you again?  Food-borne illness is not going to come from eating rare steak, unless you are eating it raw, ground up or fettid.

I get to the market late is the problem.  By the time I get there, all the hanging meat is covered with diseased flies and putrefaction.
:(

Written By: Howard on 09/11/10 at 5:21 am

I need me one of them there grills  ::)   my seared steak looked like these ahi tuna, but it was New York steak and all raw and red in the middle

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KJke0BBYtMlFoA3pSjzbkF/SIG=12frr5c43/EXP=1284265601/**http%3a//userpages.umbc.edu/~ebarat1/foodblog/seared_tuna.jpg

Was it edible? ???

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/11/10 at 5:47 pm

I need me one of them there grills  ::)   my seared steak looked like these ahi tuna, but it was New York steak and all raw and red in the middle

MMMMM - Yes I advise a grill with a searing burner!  I love a steak with a "crust" on the outside, just to seal in on the juice well, and rare on the inside! 

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/files/entryimages/steak.jpg
PERFECTION O0

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/11/10 at 9:01 pm

With bucketloads of Worcestershire sauce.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/10 at 9:59 pm

I like 'em just big enough to be filling, but not so big I can't enjoy the Oreo cookie crumb ice cream cake with hot fudge sauce the waiter mentioned earlier!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hello2.gif

Written By: Howard on 09/12/10 at 7:09 am

I like 'em just big enough to be filling, but not so big I can't enjoy the Oreo cookie crumb ice cream cake with hot fudge sauce the waiter mentioned earlier!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hello2.gif

for dessert? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/12/10 at 2:59 pm

for dessert? ???

Yes sirree!

Check for new replies or respond here...