inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird things to eat at the fair!

Written By: anabel on 03/09/09 at 10:37 pm

Right now the Florida Strawberry Festival is going on near me in Plant City, Fl. Along with rides and concerts there are some really odd things to eat! 

Have you ever had a Deep Fried Snickers Bar?  How 'bout chocolate dipped bacon?  Yes, you read that right. Another booth also had cinnamon dusted pork rinds. Ewww. Deep fried Oreo cookies, milky ways, and other candy bars could be found. I saw deep fried Twinkies, and there were chocolate dipped ones.  I almost forgot the Fried Pickle!  And of course, there are lots and lots of strawberries-any way you can think of having them, and lots of ways you never thought of!

We always get at least one flat of strawberries to take home and dip in chocolate fondue and make our own strawberry shortcakes. YUM!

So, what is the weirdest thing you've ever eaten at a fair or carnival?  I have to admit, I tried one deep fried oreo cookie.  It was amazing.

Subject: Re: Weird things to eat at the fair!

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/09/09 at 10:43 pm

Our last State Fair had fried bananas foster on a stick. The year before, fried Pepsi balls, pancake dough drizzled in Pepsi, then fried. Not one of my favorites, even though I usually prefer Pepsi over Coke. (Yes, I am drinking diet now.) I can't wait for the deep-fried donkey lips. (Just kidding, thankfully.);D
Right now the Florida Strawberry Festival is going on near me in Plant City, Fl. Along with rides and concerts there are some really odd things to eat! 

Have you ever had a Deep Fried Snickers Bar?  How 'bout chocolate dipped bacon?  Yes, you read that right. Another booth also had cinnamon dusted pork rinds. Ewww. Deep fried Oreo cookies, milky ways, and other candy bars could be found. I saw deep fried Twinkies, and there were chocolate dipped ones.  I almost forgot the Fried Pickle!  And of course, there are lots and lots of strawberries-any way you can think of having them, and lots of ways you never thought of!

We always get at least one flat of strawberries to take home and dip in chocolate fondue and make our own strawberry shortcakes. YUM!

So, what is the weirdest thing you've ever eaten at a fair or carnival?  I have to admit, I tried one deep fried oreo cookie.  It was amazing.

Written By: snozberries on 03/10/09 at 1:56 am

In Gilroy CA they have a Garlic Festival every year and they serve Garlic Ice Cream...

I have never been brave enough to try it... anyone else?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/10/09 at 2:29 am

That actually sounds good Q!  When they roast garlic, it turns very sweet and yummy so the ice cream *might* not be so bad...

I'd try it, but then I really love garlic anyway. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/10/09 at 10:12 pm

In Gilroy CA they have a Garlic Festival every year and they serve Garlic Ice Cream...

I have never been brave enough to try it... anyone else?

Kinda like green tea ice cream.  Very tasty.  The garlic flavor is very mellowed out, rather reminiscent of slowly-roasted garlic.  Imagine eating vanilla ice cream and sniffing freshly-cut raw garlic.  Try that, and if you're not grossed out, cut a piece of garlic in half, and drag it on the surface of the ice cream.  If you enjoyed that (at whatever concentration of ice cream to garlic works for you), you'll be able to dig out a hand blender (to really puree the garlic into mush), an ice cream maker, and do what comes naturally.

The only problem with the Gilroy Garlic Festival is that it's typically very hot, dusty, and crowded, and unless you get there early, there's usually an hour-long traffic jam on the highway before you can get to the parking fields.  But if you like garlic, it's still worth doing at least once per lifetime.  If you go, bring about $25-30 and eat one order of everything in the "gourmet row" section.  I'm not sure why garlic fries or garlic sauerkraut on a garlic sausage are "gourmet"... but they sure are good, even alongside a bowl of shrimp or calamari in garlic sauce.

Meanwhile, back in the world of ice cream, another fun experiment is olive oil ice cream with flavored oils, loosely based on this recipe.  I've enjoyed it with plain olive oil, but haven't tried a flavored oil.  The vanilla-infused olive oil ice cream sounds like a nice twist on the theme, but this thread is also making me look very closely at that bottle of garlic-and-rosemary-infused olive oil that sits on my shelf...

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/10/09 at 11:24 pm

There is an ice cream parlor in New York or New Jersey, I think (because Al Roker visited there on his Travel Channel show), where you can make anything that isn't meat into ice cream, including mac and cheese, baked potato, broccoli, jalapeno peppers, etc. You get the picture.  8-P

Written By: Jessica on 03/10/09 at 11:30 pm

Kinda like green tea ice cream.  Very tasty.  The garlic flavor is very mellowed out, rather reminiscent of slowly-roasted garlic.  Imagine eating vanilla ice cream and sniffing freshly-cut raw garlic.  Try that, and if you're not grossed out, cut a piece of garlic in half, and drag it on the surface of the ice cream.  If you enjoyed that (at whatever concentration of ice cream to garlic works for you), you'll be able to dig out a hand blender (to really puree the garlic into mush), an ice cream maker, and do what comes naturally.

The only problem with the Gilroy Garlic Festival is that it's typically very hot, dusty, and crowded, and unless you get there early, there's usually an hour-long traffic jam on the highway before you can get to the parking fields.  But if you like garlic, it's still worth doing at least once per lifetime.  If you go, bring about $25-30 and eat one order of everything in the "gourmet row" section.  I'm not sure why garlic fries or garlic sauerkraut on a garlic sausage are "gourmet"... but they sure are good, even alongside a bowl of shrimp or calamari in garlic sauce.

Meanwhile, back in the world of ice cream, another fun experiment is olive oil ice cream with flavored oils, loosely based on this recipe.  I've enjoyed it with plain olive oil, but haven't tried a flavored oil.  The vanilla-infused olive oil ice cream sounds like a nice twist on the theme, but this thread is also making me look very closely at that bottle of garlic-and-rosemary-infused olive oil that sits on my shelf...

What he said.  I've only been there a few times, but the crowds usually put me off, so even if I am home during the festival, I don't go.

Castroville Artichoke Festival usually has artichoke cupcakes.  That's all the weird I can think of right now.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/10/09 at 11:33 pm

We're on a roll with ice cream... there is a pumpkin festival in the fall near where I grew up, and they have pumpkin ice cream (never tried it, I'm not really a fan of pumpkin pie so much, so I figure ice cream isn't much better.)  Maybe that isn't so weird, but it wasn't for me.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...