inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Omlettes!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/16/09 at 1:12 pm

Hi Everyone!

I really love to eat omelettes (with onions, mushrooms and green bellpeppers inside), but I have no idea how to make it. And before I crack a single egg in my kitchen, I'd like to know, could someone PLEASE explain to me how to make an omelet?

Thank you!

http://www.lovebscott.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/omelette89203646_std.jpg

Subject: Re: Omlettes!

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/16/09 at 1:17 pm

Try this easy step by step, Tif:

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=cooking+an+omelet&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pineapple-girl.com%2Fomelet.htm

Written By: snozberries on 08/16/09 at 1:56 pm

I make omlettes, but I just like em plain. 

I beat 3 (or four) eggs add a few drops of water (or milk when I have it-to make them fluffy) 
then I heat a pan with butter on medium.
When the butter melts I pour in the egg.
As the egg cooks I lift it slightly to allow the uncooked yolk to go underneath and cook
once most of the yolk is gone I flip the egg (its less messy)
I let it cook a couple minutes on that side and then I'm ready to eat.....

oh yeah- I eat my omlettes on top of rice- its really good... so I cook the rice first then once the rice is done I start the omlette...
the omlette only takes a few minutes the rice about 20 so I'm eating in about 30 minutes.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/17/09 at 8:25 pm

What they said. 

And Julia Child said.

An omelette pan (with an outer lip like the one depicted in ladybug316's link) is a little easier to work with than a regular frying pan, but both will work.

And a non-metallic spatula (if you're using a non-stick pan) is just as effective a way of flipping/rolling the omelette as Julia's method of tilting the pan and flipping it without the use of utensils.  Heck of a lot easier, too.

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/09 at 12:54 am

What they said. 

And Julia Child said.

An omelette pan (with an outer lip like the one depicted in ladybug316's link) is a little easier to work with than a regular frying pan, but both will work.

And a non-metallic spatula (if you're using a non-stick pan) is just as effective a way of flipping/rolling the omelette as Julia's method of tilting the pan and flipping it without the use of utensils.  Heck of a lot easier, too.

I prefer my small frying pan to an omelet pan.  I don't like my omelets folded

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/18/09 at 1:19 am

saute your mushrooms and stuff first, get em nice and tender and a bit carmelized, and set them aside to fill your omelet when it is ready for that step. use a good non stick pan, medium size is fine. I'd spray just a shot of Pam in it and make sure the pan is hot, but not too hot. you may have to do a couple test runs. check youtube for videos.  here's a simple one  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUqlLoOaAds

Written By: mooster on 08/18/09 at 4:16 am

Suffice to say I've never eaten one nor cooked one !

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/24/09 at 10:00 pm

The nice thing about omelets is that they're so easy to make that as long as you cook them long enough, they're almost impossible to screw up.

When I was in the Army, a lot of the food they cooked for lunch or dinner was pretty bad (which is probably the biggest reason that I can eat just about anything), but I never had to worry about getting a bad omelet.

Then again there was this one time when I was standing in line at the mess hall, and we all watched in amusement and mock horror as this mysterious lump started rising out of an omelet that was frying on the grill, and I remarked to the soldiers standing next to me that it looked like the omelet was growing a tumor.

The cooks were not amused.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/09 at 10:25 pm

have you tried to make one yet tiff?

Written By: Stompgal on 03/11/10 at 2:07 pm

Nine times out of ten, any omelette I make turns into scrambled egg! I'm not that good at cooking them, although my favourite ingredients to go in a savoury omelette are half fat Cheddar cheese, mushrooms, onions, ham and herbs.

In 2006, my mum and I went to Weston-Super-Mare for a day and we had omelettes with chips for lunch. I had a chicken one and my mum had a cheese one (she's a vegetarian). Although when they arrived and I cut mine, I realised it was the cheese one, so I swapped it for the chicken omelette my mum was given.

I also had the occasional sweet omelette for breakfast when I lived with my parents. Sugar was added to the egg to make it sweet. Ideal fillings for a sweet omelette include fresh fruit and jam.

Check for new replies or respond here...