inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cheeseburger Quest...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/09 at 2:28 pm

what started out last Monday as a simple drive during lunchtime on my lunchbreak from work to get something for lunch, has now turned into a weeklong quest for the Best cheeseburger for under $5... 

on Monday I went to McDonalds and got a quarter pounder w/cheese. they mistakenly gave me a double 1/4 pounder and I pounded it. the burger came with just cheese, ketchup & mustard. this burger is a big mouthfull of juicy meat.

Tuesday I went to Nation's & got the Giant cheeseburger which is about 1/4 to a 1/3 lb patty, & I got it with tomato, mayo, mustard & cheese. they toast the buns here and this is a good burger.

Wednesday I searched for a burger joint, not any in particular and ended up going to Burger King where I got the double stacker w/cheese & bacon. condiments were mustard only. the sesame seed bun added greatly to overall flavor and enjoyment.

at this time I've got all 3 deadlocked in a tie.  I will go out today and get a burger somewhere, maybe Carl's jr. 

if anyone has any suggestions, I'm totally open to ideas.  I did not start the week with a cheeseburger quest. but after the 2nd one, I realized that it's something that just has to be done. at this time I have not discovered the best cheeseburger for under 5 bucks but using the lyrics from a Moody Blues song, "I know your out there somewhere".  please feel free to join me on this quest and post your cheeseburger experiences.  8)

Subject: Re: Cheeseburger Quest...

Written By: gibbo on 09/17/09 at 3:47 pm

what started out last Monday as a simple drive during lunchtime on my lunchbreak from work to get something for lunch, has now turned into a weeklong quest for the Best cheeseburger for under $5...   

on Monday I went to McDonalds and got a quarter pounder w/cheese. they mistakenly gave me a double 1/4 pounder and I pounded it. the burger came with just cheese, ketchup & mustard. this burger is a big mouthfull of juicy meat.

Tuesday I went to Nation's & got the Giant cheeseburger which is about 1/4 to a 1/3 lb patty, & I got it with tomato, mayo, mustard & cheese. they toast the buns here and this is a good burger.

Wednesday I searched for a burger joint, not any in particular and ended up going to Burger King where I got the double stacker w/cheese & bacon. condiments were mustard only. the sesame seed bun added greatly to overall flavor and enjoyment.

at this time I've got all 3 deadlocked in a tie.  I will go out today and get a burger somewhere, maybe Carl's jr. 

if anyone has any suggestions, I'm totally open to ideas.  I did not start the week with a cheeseburger quest. but after the 2nd one, I realized that it's something that just has to be done. at this time I have not discovered the best cheeseburger for under 5 bucks but using the lyrics from a Moody Blues song, "I know your out there somewhere".  please feel free to join me on this quest and post your cheeseburger experiences.  8)

Somebody's gonna be dieting soon.... ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/09 at 3:54 pm

Day 4...today I did end up going to Carl's Jr. and got 'The Big Carl'  it's a simple double cheeseburger with decent sized patties and they're frikken' char-broiled "yum"  ::)  I only got mustard, pickles & ketchup on it. i like all the other stuff, lettuce, sauce, tomatoes, onions but i really want to savor the burger, primarily the meat and buns. this burger was exceptionally good. it was hot, good meltage on the cheese, pickles distributed nicely so i almost got some in every bite. they also use a sesame seed bun and that along with the tasty char-broiled meat gave it a bbq/grill taste.

this burger is presently in the lead.  not sure what burger joint I will go to for tomorrows final day of the Quest.

and by the way, I'm not getting fries so I can completely savor the burger in it's pristine state with no added flavors.  8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/09 at 3:57 pm

Somebody's gonna be dieting soon.... ::)
are you kidding? this is my dieting program  ;D  seriously though, you're right, maybe a salad quest next week? 

NOT!

I'm thinking maybe a taco quest week.

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/09 at 3:59 pm

The obvious choice, my friend:  IN N OUT BURGER.  Even if you don't like them that much, have one for me. :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/09 at 4:17 pm

The obvious choice, my friend:  IN N OUT BURGER.  Even if you don't like them that much, have one for me. :D
i was just talking with a co-worker about the quest and he said they had just gotten back from IN N OUT BURGER so after reading your reply, I think I gotta go with your obvious choice and do a double double w/cheese and see how it turns out. thanks for the suggestion Jess and I do like them and I will have one big bite just for you  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/17/09 at 4:21 pm

I had an Angus burger from McDonald's two nights ago for the first time.  It was alright, but really not anything to holler about.

Seems that all the burger I like come from bars where I play trivia. 

Written By: nally on 09/17/09 at 4:27 pm

I had one from In-N-Out for dinner yesterday. Those ones are pretty good; I've had 'em before.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/09 at 4:32 pm

I had an Angus burger from McDonald's two nights ago for the first time.  It was alright, but really not anything to holler about.

Seems that all the burger I like come from bars where I play trivia. 
how much is that angus burger from mcky D's?  I know there are some fantastic bar burgers and good burgers that cost a bit more, but for this quest, it's the (under $5) burgers I am testing and reviewing.

so far in the lead by the narrowest of margins in Carl's Jr, which is barely in the lead over Nation's which is currently in 2nd, 3rd, is McDonald's, and 4th is Burger King

Nations may have been in 1st but there was a tiny bone fragment (hopefully from a cow)  :o  and that was a bit of a distraction, otherwise it's a hella good cheeseburger

I had one from In-N-Out for dinner yesterday. Those ones are pretty good; I've had 'em before.
sounds good. It appears that In N Out will be the final burger taste test tomorrow on my cheeseburger quest.

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/09 at 5:23 pm

i was just talking with a co-worker about the quest and he said they had just gotten back from IN N OUT BURGER so after reading your reply, I think I gotta go with your obvious choice and do a double double w/cheese and see how it turns out. thanks for the suggestion Jess and I do like them and I will have one big bite just for you  :)

Thank you, sir. :D

Don't waste your time on the an(g)us burgers from McDonald's.  They are not worth it.  Running price for a regular one with just cheese is $3.49.  The texture of the angus beef is a smidge better than the regular hockey pucks, but not much.  I will give them props for the bun, though.  Pretty good.

Written By: Midas on 09/17/09 at 5:24 pm

Lessee...burgers under $5...do you have Fatburger out your way?  They have a 1/3-ish lb. burger under $5.

Then there's always Wendy's...and A&W if you have those nearby.

Edited to add: Sonic too!

Written By: Midas on 09/17/09 at 5:26 pm

Also, if you're doing a breakfast burger quest, Carl's Jr. FTW IMO. :D

Although I went to a BK a couple weeks ago and they had Whoppers for breakfast... O0

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/09 at 6:12 pm

Thank you, sir. :D

Don't waste your time on the an(g)us burgers from McDonald's.  They are not worth it.  Running price for a regular one with just cheese is $3.49.  The texture of the angus beef is a smidge better than the regular hockey pucks, but not much.  I will give them props for the bun, though.  Pretty good.
anytime my dear. I'm not a big angus fan. gimme ground chuck anyday. that's the best meat for a burger IMO and the opinion of a dude in Oakland that owns I.B.'s Hoagies, he does a wicked cheesesteak and his burgers rock cuz he uses chuck.

Lessee...burgers under $5...do you have Fatburger out your way?  They have a 1/3-ish lb. burger under $5.

Then there's always Wendy's...and A&W if you have those nearby.

Edited to add: Sonic too!
we got no Fatburger or Sonic  :(  but we got Wendy's and A&W but one week of a burger a day is more than enough. maybe I'll try those 2 if there is a round 2 next month or whenever.

Also, if you're doing a breakfast burger quest, Carl's Jr. FTW IMO. :D

Although I went to a BK a couple weeks ago and they had Whoppers for breakfast... O0
breakfast burger/sandwich quest.  that's a good idea. the food quest has so much potential.

Written By: gibbo on 09/17/09 at 7:00 pm

anytime my dear. I'm not a big angus fan. gimme ground chuck anyday. that's the best meat for a burger IMO and the opinion of a dude in Oakland that owns I.B.'s Hoagies, he does a wicked cheesesteak and his burgers rock cuz he uses chuck.
we got no Fatburger or Sonic  :(   but we got Wendy's and A&W but one week of a burger a day is more than enough. maybe I'll try those 2 if there is a round 2 next month or whenever.
breakfast burger/sandwich quest.  that's a good idea. the food quest has so much potential.

...and we can have a 'hardening of the arteries' contest the following week!  :D  Unfortunately, I am with you on this quest...I love a good burger. About the only burger I recognize at being common over here is the Double Quarter Pounder (with cheese) from Macca's. That is a nice tasting burger....nothing too special but hit's the spot nicely!

I prefer burgers from the little places where you can watch them cooking them up (rather than putting a meat pattie in the microwave). Macca's is tasty ...but very premanufactured ...as most fast food places are!  Every now and then I find one of those small corner shops that still cook up Steakburgers and Hamburgers from scratch and they are truly more satisfying to eat (and better value for money too).

I was in Hawaii (back in the early 90's and could not find anywhere that cooked up a takeaway burger other than the major fast food giants! I assume it is the same on the U.S. mainland... :-\\  It is fast going the same way over here....

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/09 at 8:11 pm

One of the BEST Cheeseburgers I ever had ...

The "Cheddar Bacon Uncle Burger" from A&W
http://www.aw.ca/publicinfo.nsf/cheddarbacon.jpg

A 5 oz. Sirlion Beef patty with a slice of cheddar cheese and two strips of crispy bacon

Close-up shot to make your mouth water ...
http://www.awburgers.com/page4/page8/files/close-crop_teen.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/09 at 8:14 pm

A 5 oz. Sirlion Beef patty with a slice of cheddar cheese and two strips of crispy bacon

there is an A&W within driving distance but that will have to occur during the 2nd round. is it under $5?  it looks like a good burger that needs to be washed down with some good cold root beer

...and we can have a 'hardening of the arteries' contest the following week!  :D  Unfortunately, I am with you on this quest...I love a good burger. About the only burger I recognize at being common over here is the Double Quarter Pounder (with cheese) from Macca's. That is a nice tasting burger....nothing too special but hit's the spot nicely!

I prefer burgers from the little places where you can watch them cooking them up (rather than putting a meat pattie in the microwave). Macca's is tasty ...but very premanufactured ...as most fast food places are!  Every now and then I find one of those small corner shops that still cook up Steakburgers and Hamburgers from scratch and they are truly more satisfying to eat (and better value for money too).

I was in Hawaii (back in the early 90's and could not find anywhere that cooked up a takeaway burger other than the major fast food giants! I assume it is the same on the U.S. mainland... :-\\  It is fast going the same way over here....
yeah peter, i would go with a privately owned independant burger joint anytime. we have one here that is called Red Onion and it's most excellent and they serve crinkle cut fries.

Written By: Tam on 09/17/09 at 8:16 pm

That's great Jas... but it is completely Canadian.
The A&W menu down here is way different!!! :o :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/09 at 8:18 pm

That's great Jas... but it is completely Canadian.
The A&W menu down here is way different!!! :o :)
so we can't get that burger here?  man, the cheddar bacon sirloin was on the list for next round too  :(  what a shame.

Written By: Tam on 09/17/09 at 8:23 pm

Canadian A&W menu:
http://www.aw.ca/publicinfo.nsf/nutritionalfacts
(click 'burgers' on the left habd side)

American A&W menu:
http://www.awrestaurants.com/#/papa-burger
(Roll over the burgers to see their name)

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/09 at 10:17 pm

The Cheddar Bacon Uncle Burger is only available in Canada.  So if you are ever in Canada, you need to go to A&W and get one.  They are friggin' awesome!  8)

I live a 2 minute walk from A&W, so I am there often whenever I crave junk food ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/17/09 at 10:29 pm

I don't really know California geography at all, so I don't know how close (or far) these restaurants are from you:

Fuddruckers (although they might be a tad more then $5, I don't know what anything costs out there, I assume much more then here.)
http://www.fuddruckers.com/locations.php

Red Robin (never been there and it might be more then $5 for just a burger)
http://www.redrobin.com/map/default.aspx?loc=6291&lat=37.324155&lng=-121.811792

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/09 at 10:36 pm

I don't really know California geography at all, so I don't know how close (or far) these restaurants are from you:

Fuddruckers (although they might be a tad more then $5, I don't know what anything costs out there, I assume much more then here.)
http://www.fuddruckers.com/locations.php

Red Robin (never been there and it might be more then $5 for just a burger)
http://www.redrobin.com/map/default.aspx?loc=6291&lat=37.324155&lng=-121.811792
Fuddruckers & Red Robin are not far away and actually very close to one another. I have only been to Fud once about 20 years ago and I used to go to Red Robin for these huge schooners of beer and popcorn shrimp. they probably serve decent burgers, but knowing those places, I'd say they may be slightly higher than 5 bucks.

Written By: Midas on 09/18/09 at 1:06 am

Sure, but do they really look that good when you order them?  :D

Written By: Midas on 09/18/09 at 1:10 am

Fuddruckers & Red Robin are not far away and actually very close to one another. I have only been to Fud once about 20 years ago and I used to go to Red Robin for these huge schooners of beer and popcorn shrimp. they probably serve decent burgers, but knowing those places, I'd say they may be slightly higher than 5 bucks.

Fuddruckers > Red Robin :D

If you ever get to the Raleigh-Durham NC area, you gots to go to Char-Gril.  Best hamburger steak under $5 EVAH.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/18/09 at 2:10 am

Fuddruckers > Red Robin :D

If you ever get to the Raleigh-Durham NC area, you gots to go to Char-Gril.  Best hamburger steak under $5 EVAH.
I wish we had a Char-Grill here. that place looks great.  if I ever get over there I will get me one, for sure and it's the right price $

so tomorrow's lunch will be at http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2024/2440643511_20f0cdb438.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1291/1207997529_232a3f44ea.jpg 

will this be the winner of my weeklong Cheeseburger Quest? 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/18/09 at 12:28 pm

today is the last day of my Cheeseburger Quest and I will be going to In-N-Out burger for the final taste test and review. I'm thinking of getting a single with cheese, maybe 1 thin slice of tomato, 1 small piece of lettuce, mustard & pickles and a diet coke to wash it down. 

I re-evaluated and here's my current standings: on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the Best:

4.28  Giant Cheeseburger from Nation's
4.25  the Big Carl w/cheese from Carl's Jr. 
3.8    Dbl Quarter pounder w/cheese from McDonald's
3.7    Double Stacker w/cheese & bacon from Burger King

?.??  pending In-N-Out Burger

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/18/09 at 3:09 pm

Do they have Wendy's in California?  I used to like them way better years ago, but now their patties are kinda thin, but still taste good.

Wish your Quest allowed for continental travel, I could take you to a bar here in Pittsburgh that had amazing cheeseburgers (and they come with tater tots) for $4.95 (under the $5 guideline).  I'd send you one in the mail, but somehow I don't think it would taste quite as good when it got there.  8-P ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/18/09 at 4:54 pm

Do they have Wendy's in California?  I used to like them way better years ago, but now their patties are kinda thin, but still taste good.

Wish your Quest allowed for continental travel, I could take you to a bar here in Pittsburgh that had amazing cheeseburgers (and they come with tater tots) for $4.95 (under the $5 guideline).   I'd send you one in the mail, but somehow I don't think it would taste quite as good when it got there.   8-P ;D
yes we have Wendy's everywhere but i did not have enough days in the week to go there. I would luv a burger and tots at your hangout, so if I'm ever there, we are gonna get one.  and yanno what, that's probably a good idea to hold off on that burger in the mail thing. yeah.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/18/09 at 4:55 pm

so me and a friend went to In-N-Out burger for lunch today and the results were quite unexpected..I'll post an update soon

Subject: Cheeseburger Quest..results in

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/18/09 at 5:43 pm

today's In-N-Out burger was almost superb but I made a mistake and got a single instead of a double burger. this burger and condiments were very fresh, cooked just right. maybe a bit heavy on the pickles but still extremely enjoyable, yet i needed to have the double.

Results are in.....but first I gotta say that I had a lot of fun with this and got to sample some of the best burgers you can get for under $5.  

anways here are the results:

5th place goes to Burger King with their Double Stacker
4th place goes to McDonald's with the quarter pounder with cheese
3rd place goes to Carl's Jr. with The Big Carl

and 2nd place goes to...

OMG!!! It's a tie.   this is amazing, I mean who could have foreseen this  ::)    

Nation's Giant burger and In-N-Out Burger got the same score  4.28

so this means that there needs to be a tiebreaker. probably next week or the week after, I'll have to go back and sample one more from each of these 2 places and then declare the overall winner.  I hope nobody thinks I declared a tie on purpose  ::)  

Written By: Midas on 09/19/09 at 9:19 am

Awesome ;D

I had Fuddrucker's last night.  That was a good burger. 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/28/09 at 7:00 pm

We have a WINNER!!!!.....the best burger you can get for under $5 is  NATION's Giant Hamburgers. I wen there for lunch today to begin the tiebreaker between Nation's and In-N-Out  Burger, and today's Nation's cheeseburger was so good and delicious that in my opinion, that cheeseburger experience could not be topped so I declined to go to In-N-Out. It was excellent, practically an orgy in my mouth. it had a 1/3lb patty cooked to perfection, big soft slightly toasted bun, 2 slices of cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo & mustard. it was the best and I declare Nation's the winner of my Cheeseburger Quest

Q, you and me gotta do Nation's at our next mini-meet, and of course anyone else that wants to  8)

Written By: Midas on 10/29/09 at 9:56 am

Sweet!  I'll have to try that when I'm in Cali

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/09 at 7:26 pm

Sweet!  I'll have to try that when I'm in Cali
did you know that the burgers are free when you're an inthe00's member visiting Cali  8)

Written By: Step-chan on 10/30/09 at 6:05 pm

I think two of the last Cheeseburgers from fast food places I had was a Double Quarter Pounder at McDonalds(in 2004) and a Bacon Cheeseburger from Hardee's(a couple of years ago).

Haven't had any since.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/30/09 at 7:34 pm

I think two of the last Cheeseburgers from fast food places I had was a Double Quarter Pounder at McDonalds(in 2004) and a Bacon Cheeseburger from Hardee's(a couple of years ago).

Haven't had any since.
well then, you're way overdue for a burger feast so I suggest gettin out and getting one immediately!

Written By: Midas on 10/30/09 at 9:23 pm

did you know that the burgers are free when you're an inthe00's member visiting Cali   8)

I did not know that!  :o

I also can't remember the last time I had a burger in Cali...maybe a late night run to CrackDonalds but that doesn't count.  :D

Written By: Midas on 10/30/09 at 9:26 pm

I also can't remember the last time I had a burger in Cali...maybe a late night run to CrackDonalds but that doesn't count.  :D

Oh yeah!  That was the night the sign at the La Mesa location said McDo!  I had to photoshop in Michael McDonald aka Michael McDo for a laugh ;D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/djmidas96/MichaelMcDoCA.jpg

Written By: Step-chan on 10/30/09 at 10:47 pm

well then, you're way overdue for a burger feast so I suggest gettin out and getting one immediately!

Well, I only counted fast food places. I've had some made at home.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/30/09 at 11:33 pm

it is a rare phenomenon that it only happens when an inthe00s members goes with me to Nation's. 
but you have to be with me or else they make you pay

Oh yeah!  That was the night the sign at the La Mesa location said McDo!  I had to photoshop in Michael McDonald aka Michael McDo for a laugh ;D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/djmidas96/MichaelMcDoCA.jpg
that's too funny, and way to take advantage of that photo op.

Well, I only counted fast food places. I've had some made at home.
those home made burgers count  :) 

Written By: Step-chan on 10/31/09 at 5:58 pm

Yeah, that's true. :)

Written By: STUCKONYOU on 11/02/09 at 11:18 am

I could go for a real juicy cheeseburger right now...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/09 at 1:16 pm

There is a big beef recall in several states right now, you may want to hold off on getting that burger.  ;)

Written By: karen on 11/02/09 at 1:22 pm

There is a big beef recall in several states right now, you may want to hold off on getting that burger.   ;)

Now you tell me.  I've just made a beef stew thing to go in the crock pot.

MTA: it's ground beef only and it was best before September sometime - so I've already eaten it!

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_059_2009_Release/index.asp

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/09 at 8:42 pm

Now you tell me.  I've just made a beef stew thing to go in the crock pot.

MTA: it's ground beef only and it was best before September sometime - so I've already eaten it!

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_059_2009_Release/index.asp

Yeah I don't really pay very close attention to those recalls, I don't freeze meet very often and like you, I've already eaten it once the recall comes out.  Oh well.  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/05/09 at 7:37 pm

There is a big beef recall in several states right now, you may want to hold off on getting that burger.   ;)
I think they specified the companies involved so I'm not too worried in my area plus i cook the hell outta the ground beef I bought for my lasagna

Written By: karen on 11/05/09 at 9:05 pm

I cooked ground beef last night, it was from that supplier.  So I cooked it extra well!

Written By: Midas on 11/06/09 at 9:07 am

Just polished off a Breakfast Burger from Carl's Jr.  Hamburger, cheese, egg, bacon, tots and ketchup on a sesame seed bun.  It's two meals in one! :D

Check for new replies or respond here...