inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Grapes and Sleep

Written By: danootaandme on 11/29/09 at 9:33 am

I have had sleep problems for years, and I mean years.  It is unusual for me to sleep more than 5 hours without waking up for an hour or two before hopefully going back for another hour or two before getting up.  Lately I started eating grapes, and sleeping!  I did a search and actually found that a study had been done that said grapes, because of a high degree of melatonin, can help you sleep.  I am here to testify to that fact, it has been great.  I am now sleeping at 6 hour stretches(that one hour does make a difference) and sometimes 7 hours.  I m going to look up other sources of melatonin, I can see where eating grapes could in itself get tired, but as long as it works I will do it.

Subject: Re: Grapes and Sleep

Written By: ninny on 11/29/09 at 11:16 am

I have had sleep problems for years, and I mean years.  It is unusual for me to sleep more than 5 hours without waking hp for an hour or two before hopefully going back for another hour or two before getting up.  Lately I started eating grapes, and sleeping!  I did a search and actually found that a study had been done that said grapes, because of a high degree of melatonin, can help you sleep.  I am here to testify to that fact, it has been great.  I am now sleeping at 6 hour stretches(that one hour does make a difference) and sometimes 7 hours.  I m going to look up other sources of melatonin, I can see where eating grapes could in itself get tired, but as long as it works I will do it.

I was reading up on this and I see it helps in the prevention of migraines, and the treatment of mood disorders, the list goes on.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/09 at 5:09 pm

Last year, I tried melatonin and started to have a meltdown-and I do mean meltdown. I never had that problem when I ate grapes so many it has to do with how much melatonin there is. I think in pill form, you have mega concentration of it which is why I had the meltdown.

Cat

Written By: Fairee07 on 11/29/09 at 8:50 pm

Makes sense since wine is made from grapes.  ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/29/09 at 11:03 pm

Last year, I tried melatonin and started to have a meltdown-and I do mean meltdown. I never had that problem when I ate grapes so many it has to do with how much melatonin there is. I think in pill form, you have mega concentration of it which is why I had the meltdown.

Cat

Yeah I think so too (about the concentration of the pill), On occasion I take what amounts to a sliver of one pill and that seems to work for me.  At this rate the bottle should last several years.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 11/30/09 at 11:10 am

Cat

I read up on it and they said you shouldn't need more than .5m a day, whereas they will sell you the 20m tab which is way too much and can cause problems.  I figure I will stick to the grapes.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/02/09 at 4:08 pm

This is something I never knew about.

Check for new replies or respond here...