inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Hot Dog, best place for a good Hot Dog?

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/08/10 at 11:05 pm

Every now and then you just have the hankerin’ for a good, a real good, hot dog,  y’know?
Not the crappy boiled in the quarter pan at home, or some nasty 7-11 tube of death thats is as old as your grandma, but a real well done hot dog with a good snap to it. Lots of onions, mustard and chili too…

Today I had my first hot dog from Skooby’s in Hollywood, CA.
http://www.skoobys.com/images/skoobys_location_01.jpg
A garlic dog smothered in onions and slathered with mustard (yeah no one wanted to speak “face to face” to me when I got back tot the office)…yum. 8)

What’s you’re favorite type of dog? Chili, Chicago style with sport peppers? Southern style with coleslaw? A Michigan coney, a ripper?....and where do you get them?

Subject: Re: Best Hot Dog, best place for a good Hot Dog?

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/09/10 at 12:02 pm

My favorite hot dog is Ball Park, though I'm the only one in my family who likes it. The rest of my family members like Nathan's. I also like Nathan's.

1. Nathan's is the best place for a good Hot Dog.
2. Back when I was in a summer program, I used to go to Cousin Ben's Hot Dog truck and those kind of Hot Dogs I got where:

a.) Joanie Pie (Hot Dog with mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, tomato sauce).
b.) Queenie Dog (Hot Dog with cheese and mushrooms)
c.) Lily Dog (Garnish/condiments on hot dog bun, sans the hot dog).
d.) Jeannie's Cheeses (Hot Dogs with 4-Cheese toppings).

More to come later.....

Written By: Midas on 01/12/10 at 9:11 am

We usually buy Hebrew National or Nathan's from the store.

I usually associate a good hot dog with Chicago.  Places like Portillo's and Luke's...I usually don't order a hot dog when I go out otherwise.

Locally, we have a Luke's of Chicago and a place called Ted's that's pretty good.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/12/10 at 9:24 am

There is a guy in Wakefield, Massachusetts who, during the good weather, sets up a hot dog stand at Lake Quannapowitt, which is in the middle the city, and grills to order the best hot dog in history. 

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2448/3932770996_d91eff5975_o.jpg

Written By: ninny on 01/12/10 at 3:12 pm

Tim likes those Oscar Mayer cheese dogs. I really don't care for hot dogs, but if I had to pick it would be Zweigles white hots.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/12/10 at 9:31 pm

We usually buy Hebrew National or Nathan's from the store.

I usually associate a good hot dog with Chicago.  Places like Portillo's and Luke's...I usually don't order a hot dog when I go out otherwise.

Locally, we have a Luke's of Chicago and a place called Ted's that's pretty good.

Luke's of Chicago site:
http://www.lukesofchicago.com/

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/12/10 at 9:32 pm

This forum is making me crave for more hot dogs!!! :D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/10 at 6:40 am

If you go to the market Hebrew National Hot Dogs are the only ones worth paying for.

Written By: dogwelder on 02/05/10 at 11:35 pm

nathans
hebrew national
sabretts

i only buy them and cook them at home..............nathans in coney island just raised the price to 3 bucks a dog................i buy an 8 pack for 4-5 bucks.

i preffer onions as a toppin', but don't mind saurkraut.

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/10 at 3:19 pm

a Whistle Dog from A&W.  So good, it's my namesake :D

For store bought packaged ones, I usually get the Maple Leaf Top Dogs. 
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/corpaffr/recarapp/2009/20090803top2be.jpg

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/09/10 at 7:35 am

I actually prefer "old fashion - natural casing weiners".  The favorite at this house, so I go to the butcher shop for them.  My husband just said the other day, he didn't even know they existed before me - the only hotdog he knew was Oscar Meyer :P

Otherwise, the only place I have ordered a hotdog is Chitown.  The corner street vendors are good - down town on a busy corner (if they have a line, they are good).  At Comisky park, and yes Portillo's or Johnnie's Beef (Elmwood or Arlington Heights) - all good.

I am not a traditionalist though - I actually just like plain good ole' ketchup on my dog (no mustard, onions, relish, or any other fancy stuff - I want to enjoy the dog).  I also like chili and cheese, when in the mood.

YUMM

Written By: Womble on 02/15/10 at 6:57 pm

Nuthin' beats a Coney Island hot-dog!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...