inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: health diets

Written By: dogwelder on 02/05/10 at 11:52 pm

i'm on a low protein, low sodium, low chloresteral diet and it sucks. health issues made me watch what i eat, but twice a week i cheat. its hard not to eat any beef, pork, shell fish, butter, salt, fried food, pizza, cheeze, eggs, and so on......
i'm on a buncha meds that help. i have no problem eatin' veggies, turkey, chicken, fish, rice.....i like all foods. but when i pass a pizzaria or a steakhouse on diet days i shake my fists at the sky!

i have lost 45 pounds so thats a plus.

anyone else have to watch what they eat??

Subject: Re: health diets

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/07/10 at 12:44 am

Hi!

I have to take dialysis because my kidneys failed last year. And I have a highly restricted diet. I can't have any dairy products, ,most colas, and certain vegetables.I have to watch my phoshporus and potassium and sodium intake (High blood pressure ruined my kidneys) :o i also can't have chocolate, coffee, pizza, pork and beans and organ meats.

It kills me because I love all those things--except pork and beans--but i try to eat them in small portions every now and then. Today I had an iced coffee and a few days before that I had a piece of liver off a platter of it my father was eating.

But the upside is, I've lost 90 pounds.  ;D I went from 260 to 170 and from a size 26 to a 12, which is nice.  :)

Hang in there, you're doing great and congrats on the 45.  :) ;)

Written By: dogwelder on 02/10/10 at 11:40 pm

THANKS!

i'm at 186 now......i'm happy with that!

WAITER.....GET ME A FRIGGIN' PORK CHOP!!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/12/10 at 10:26 pm

You're welcome!

How old are you? If you don't mind my asking.  :)

I'm 23 BTW. I know young to be on dialysis, but I'm there.

Written By: dogwelder on 02/12/10 at 11:54 pm

i'll be 45 in june.........sorry yer on dialysis at such a young age.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/13/10 at 5:33 pm

Aw its okay. I had ALOT of stress in the time leading up to my illness, which drove my BP up and landed me where I am today.  :) 45 is young too. I hate they stuck you on the bland diet.  8-P

Written By: dogwelder on 02/14/10 at 8:54 pm

today is a cheat day.....i'm havin' porterhouse steak and brussel sprouts drowned in butter!

oh...............and cheese cake fer dessert!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/21/10 at 4:55 pm

I sho have totally eaten at your house man!  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/10 at 5:05 pm

today is a cheat day.....i'm havin' porterhouse steak and brussel sprouts drowned in butter!

oh...............and cheese cake fer dessert!

Good grief, right now I feel like one of Pavlov's Dogs! Mmmmmm...Cheesecake!

Written By: dogwelder on 02/24/10 at 9:26 pm

lol................if yer gonna cheat..........go all out!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/10 at 3:13 pm

I'm extremely neurotic about food because of early years (formula age thru age 4 years) when my parents were wrapped up in the hippie health food kick.  I was force-fed sh*t I didn't like, such as tofu, bean sprouts, kelp, and various Oriental legumes and veggies.  Some of this stuff is generally not favored by children, but some of I think I had bona-fide bad gastronomical reactions to.  My mom admits some of the formulae she forced into me as a baby was recommended by hippie pediatricians but probably too intense for me.

Thus, a switch got flipped in my brain:

VEGETABLES = DANGER

This has caused lifelong difficulties obtaining adequate nutrition, and causes social awkwardness to this very day. 
::)

Written By: Jessica on 04/22/10 at 11:15 pm

Right now I'm on a clear liquid diet to recover from Lap Band surgery.  I've been on it for almost three weeks now (had to do two weeks before the surgery), and I have a week to go.  The liquid diet IS brutal, but it has given me a jumpstart on the weight loss.  I've dropped almost 40 pounds in three weeks  After that, I'll be on a liquid/soft/mushy food diet for two weeks.  Then I can progress to regular foods.

After all of this is over, my diet for the rest of my life will be 1200 calories a day, 60-70 grams of protein a day, and light on the carbs.  A small price to pay for the rest of my (hopefully) long life.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/10 at 12:22 am

Right now I'm on a clear liquid diet to recover from Lap Band surgery.  I've been on it for almost three weeks now (had to do two weeks before the surgery), and I have a week to go.  The liquid diet IS brutal, but it has given me a jumpstart on the weight loss.  I've dropped almost 40 pounds in three weeks  After that, I'll be on a liquid/soft/mushy food diet for two weeks.  Then I can progress to regular foods.

After all of this is over, my diet for the rest of my life will be 1200 calories a day, 60-70 grams of protein a day, and light on the carbs.  A small price to pay for the rest of my (hopefully) long life.

Good luck with the whole process.  Hope it all works out, Jess!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

Written By: Jessica on 04/23/10 at 10:30 am

Good luck with the whole process.  Hope it all works out, Jess!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

Thanks, Max. :)  I plan on doing my best to maintain it, because I've heard stories and seen examples of people that don't follow what the doctors and dietitian tell you to do.  It's pretty sad.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/23/10 at 1:06 pm

Hey! I'm looking to lose more weight. What exactly goes into this liquid diet? I'd like to try it. Cause if I could drop 40 pounds in three weeks... :)

Thanks!

Written By: dogwelder on 04/26/10 at 9:25 am

i lost 5 more pounds................that  liquid diet must be hard

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/26/10 at 11:27 am

Someone tell me about the liquid diet please.  ;D Do I just drink water or can I have like soup and broth and that sort of thing?

Check for new replies or respond here...