inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would This Taste Good?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/27/10 at 4:28 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to stretch those end of the month dollars and while I was at the market, I picked up a Totino's Cheese Pizza :

http://www.blogography.com/photos40/TotinosCheesePizza.jpg

I also picked up a package of pre-sliced pepperoni.

http://www.mccawleysfinemeats.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/pepperoni.jpg

I was wondering if I could toss the pepperoni on the chesse pizza and if it would turn out alright?

If think so--or not--let me know.

Thanks.

Subject: Re: Would This Taste Good?

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/10 at 8:57 pm

http://www.blogography.com/photos40/TotinosCheesePizza.jpg

A kid in a box don't look too appetizing lol

Adding pepperoni to cheese pizza's is always good.  You just need more cheese on top so the pepperonis bake inside the cheese. 

Written By: Howard on 04/28/10 at 6:50 am

It sure is,you could also add some spices if you'd like.

Written By: lola669 on 04/28/10 at 7:24 am

A kid in a box don't look too appetizing lol

Adding pepperoni to cheese pizza's is always good.  You just need more cheese on top so the pepperonis bake inside the cheese. 

A kid with a 5 o'clock shadow???  ;D

I agree with more cheese, not only is more cheese tasty it helps to keep the pepperoni from getting burned.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/28/10 at 8:24 pm

I was wondering if I could toss the pepperoni on the chesse pizza and if it would turn out alright?

Hell yes.  That's what you're paying 'em to do at the factory :)

For a really good time, grind up a clove (or two, or three... depends on how much you like garlic, I'm the guy who'll put half a friggin' head of garlic onto a large pie) of garlic and mix it in with the cheese.

Shake some dried oregano and/or basil over the pie before cooking it.  Fresh herbs are better, but if you're looking for cheap, dried spices last forever and can be used whenever the need arises.

Going further, if you've got the short-term savings to invest in a breadmaker, you can turn a pizza from a $10.00 item into a $3.00 item.  It'll also turn "bread" from "something you pay $3/loaf for" into "something you pay $0.50/loaf for, it's always fresh, and if it gets stale in a couple of days, dip it into your soup, make bread pudding, etc..." 

Going right off the culinary deep end, the dirty secret of French cuisine is that most of that "ooh, we're in a bistro!, this must be gourmet!" that we associate with $7.99 "french onion soup" appetizers and $23.99 "Coq au Vin" is what was - 300 years ago - peasant food.  Chop up some onions, boil 'em down, and throw in some broth... left over from that $5.99 "best before: tomorrow!" discount chicken you threw into a stock pot last week with some two-buck Chuck.  (That last-day-special $1.99/lb Chuck Roast?  One onion, two stalks celery, two carrots?  Salt, pepper, random spices?  Couple of beef boullion cubes?  Splash of red wine?  Throw it in an oven for 2-3 hours (or even a crock pot for an afternoon!) and you've got beef burgundy for a week.  Low and slow cooking techniques on tough cuts of hunk-o-cow (or pork shoulder, etc) will end up tender enough that you'll be able to cut it with a spoon, and the leftovers will freeze and keep forever.)

Written By: karen on 04/28/10 at 9:00 pm

following on from FB's post.

why is bread so freaking expensive in the US?

back on topic

so App did you make a pepperoni pizza?  how did it turn out?

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/28/10 at 9:26 pm

following on from FB's post.
why is bread so freaking expensive in the US?

For the most part, transport costs.  It's perishable, not worth transporting, and although that article was from 2007, it seems clear that we're willing to pay for it rather than bake it ourselves.  Even though there are really good no-knead bread recipes out there.

Back to pizza:

Here's a good intro on DIY pizza from scratch... and if Apollonia1986 hasn't made that frozen pizza yet, here's another forum on hacking frozen pizza

Rule of thumb for any cooking task:  when in doubt, try it!  It'll probably work out just fine.

Written By: karen on 04/28/10 at 9:40 pm

For the most part, transport costs.  It's perishable, not worth transporting, and although that article was from 2007, it seems clear that we're willing to pay for it rather than bake it ourselves.  Even though there are really good no-knead bread recipes out there.

One of the first things I bought when we moved to the US was a bread machine in a tag sale (yard sale). 

Bread here is abou $3 for woolly pap that costs less than half that in the UK.  Hell - store baked fresh bread only costs about $1 a loaf!  The bread machine makes a decent loaf for about five minutes work

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/30/10 at 9:30 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I might try getting adventurous and making a pizza from scratch.

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/10 at 9:58 pm

A kid with a 5 o'clock shadow???  ;D

I thought that was food around his mouth ;D

Written By: karen on 04/30/10 at 10:13 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I might try getting adventurous and making a pizza from scratch.

As a starter you could buy some ready made bases and put your own toppings on.  Or buy a baguette and split that open to make a slightly more bready base

Check for new replies or respond here...