inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jack in the Box

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/06/10 at 8:11 pm

They're building a new Jack in the Box in Kansas City, Kansas, and it's the first time that chain has been in the KC metro since 1980. I've been to Jack in the Box a couple times in different parts of the country, but not often enough to really get a good impression of the place.

For those of you who frequent Jack in the Box, what's good there? What do you recommend?

I've heard good things about their tacos but have never tried them.

Subject: Re: Jack in the Box

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/10 at 8:17 pm

They're building a new Jack in the Box in Kansas City, Kansas, and it's the first time that chain has been in the KC metro since 1980. I've been to Jack in the Box a couple times in different parts of the country, but not often enough to really get a good impression of the place.

For those of you who frequent Jack in the Box, what's good there? What do you recommend?

I like the jumbo jack. Its a regular burger- basically its a whopper-  but they chop the onions and hide them in the mayo so if you don't like onions I'd say get it without because they're not as easy to get rid of as off some burgers.

the fries suck!  but the shakes are awesome. Get the oreo cookie shake.  I've had the egg roll- its okay but I'm not brave enough to try the teriyaki bowl..

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/06/10 at 8:33 pm

I like the jumbo jack. Its a regular burger- basically its a whopper-  but they chop the onions and hide them in the mayo so if you don't like onions I'd say get it without because they're not as easy to get rid of as off some burgers.

the fries suck!  but the shakes are awesome. Get the oreo cookie shake.  I've had the egg roll- its okay but I'm not brave enough to try the teriyaki bowl..

Man - I only thought it was a chicken place :P

Nope we don't have em here ::)

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/10 at 8:49 pm

Man - I only thought it was a chicken place :P

Nope we don't have em here ::)

ha ha....no their chicken sandwiches are subpar

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/06/10 at 9:15 pm

ha ha....no their chicken sandwiches are subpar
I thought it was fried chicken - like Popeyes, or KFC :P

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/10 at 9:21 pm

I thought it was fried chicken - like Popeyes, or KFC :P

no no no...its more like el pollo loco   ::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/06/10 at 9:25 pm

The Crazy Chicken ???

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/10 at 9:31 pm

The Crazy Chicken ???

all chickens are crazy... you might even say they're all clucked up!  :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/06/10 at 9:35 pm

all chickens are crazy... you might even say they're all clucked up!  :D

Better than "cracked" up  :D

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/10 at 9:38 pm

Better than "cracked" up  :D

naw... that's just their kids.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/10 at 12:08 am

We don't have Jack in the Box in New England.  All I remember about it is the E. Coli disaster in the early 1990s!

There is such a thing as bad press!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/07/10 at 10:05 am

The Crazy Chicken ???

Several years back, before I moved down to KC I was driving a concrete mixer up in Lincoln, NE, and I was at this job site where there were 9 or 10 Mexicans on the crew and we were all standing around taking a break. One of the younger guys pointed at this older guy standing next to him (who looked a little goofy/crazy but in a good way) and said to me, "You see him? He's loco!" and did the "crazy" finger-twirling-beside-the-head gesture. I replied, "Ah...El Pollo Loco!" And the rest of the Mexicans all turned and looked at me and started laughing really hard.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/10 at 2:28 am

Several years back, before I moved down to KC I was driving a concrete mixer up in Lincoln, NE, and I was at this job site where there were 9 or 10 Mexicans on the crew and we were all standing around taking a break. One of the younger guys pointed at this older guy standing next to him (who looked a little goofy/crazy but in a good way) and said to me, "You see him? He's loco!" and did the "crazy" finger-twirling-beside-the-head gesture. I replied, "Ah...El Pollo Loco!" And the rest of the Mexicans all turned and looked at me and started laughing really hard.  :D

Ay Kurumbah!
:D

Written By: Midas on 08/22/10 at 1:04 am

They're okay.  I usually get the tacos; they're cheap and greasy.  And their big cheeseburger, which is okay.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/22/10 at 4:04 am

I dig Jack In The Box.  their Ultimate Cheeseburger is good. very meaty, no vegies, just meat and cheese and mayo or whatever condiment you want. their Breakfast Jack is good. It's a simple egg & ham & cheese on a bun or you can get it on grilled sourdough. the seasoned curly fries are good. the best and the greasiest are the 2 tacos for .99 cents. they're deep fried and they rule. new item on the menu is grilled cheese on sourdough. no other fast food place here has that  8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/22/10 at 11:09 am

Do they still have the antenna balls? Because I really want to put one on my truck.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/10 at 1:59 pm

Do they still have the antenna balls? Because I really want to put one on my truck.  :D

Didn't know antennae had balls!
Do not adjust your sets!
:-X

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/10 at 2:19 pm

I don't think they still have them... maybe I'll go to JitB for dinner and find out for sure... 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/10 at 11:30 pm

Maybe they'll send one to me overnight express in a refrigerated carton, then I can just nuke it up and have "Jack In The Box" overnight from Oregon!

If I was an eccentric Michael Jackson millionaire, that's what I would do.  I would invest in opening Jack In The Box and Carl's Junior open around New England.  Start in the college towns.  That's the secret. 

Anyway, I live in a college town I'm sick of frikkin' sushi and noodles everywhere.  I want American food, goddam it, I want French fries!  Wercome to Amelican City of Tokyo!
:-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/25/10 at 6:24 pm

Maybe they'll send one to me overnight express in a refrigerated carton, then I can just nuke it up and have "Jack In The Box" overnight from Oregon!

If I was an eccentric Michael Jackson millionaire, that's what I would do.  I would invest in opening Jack In The Box and Carl's Junior open around New England.  Start in the college towns.  That's the secret. 

Anyway, I live in a college town I'm sick of frikkin' sushi and noodles everywhere.  I want American food, goddam it, I want French fries!  Wercome to Amelican City of Tokyo!
:-\\

But living in a college town, surely you've gotta have at least one of those old school diners or bar-and-grills that opened up back in the 1930's or something and has so much greasy residue built up on the walls over the decades that you can almost feel it as you walk in, and you can get one of those really good greasy cheeseburgers that almost melt in your mouth.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/10 at 7:12 pm

But living in a college town, surely you've gotta have at least one of those old school diners or bar-and-grills that opened up back in the 1930's or something and has so much greasy residue built up on the walls over the decades that you can almost feel it as you walk in, and you can get one of those really good greasy cheeseburgers that almost melt in your mouth.

Those we got!  Drunk college kids and zonked-out truck drivers are an interesting mix!
;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/25/10 at 7:29 pm

Those we got!  Drunk college kids and zonked-out truck drivers are an interesting mix!
;)

Oh yeah, surely you must be referring to the place that stays open 24 hours and where everyone goes after the bars close.

Here in KC we have this place called Town Topic Hamburgers, it's been open since the 1930's and I love going there late at night, there's so many interesting characters there.

Back in Lincoln it was the Hi-Way Diner. I have a niece who just turned 21 and ranted on Facebook about all the drunks and weirdos that hang out there after last call, I replied that it was exactly the same 15 years ago. (Hell, it was probably that way 50 years ago.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/10 at 7:52 pm

Oh yeah, surely you must be referring to the place that stays open 24 hours and where everyone goes after the bars close.

Here in KC we have this place called Town Topic Hamburgers, it's been open since the 1930's and I love going there late at night, there's so many interesting characters there.

Back in Lincoln it was the Hi-Way Diner. I have a niece who just turned 21 and ranted on Facebook about all the drunks and weirdos that hang out there after last call, I replied that it was exactly the same 15 years ago. (Hell, it was probably that way 50 years ago.)

The one I'm thinking of is the Whately Diner up I-91 from here, well 116 if you're coming from Amherst.  It's a bona fide truckstop open 24 hours.  The food is worse than Denny's.  Quite an accomplishment.  The truckers stop to fill their rigs and chow down on an omelet or a casserole.  There are the colleges down the highway and a strip joint around the corner.  Lots of colorful characters there after 2:00 a.m.  It's fun to sit back with a cup of coffee and just watch!  Sign at Whately for the truckers:  "Showers available.  Towels: $0.50."  Never wanted more details on that.
8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/07/10 at 4:33 pm

I had a vague memory, (lot's of my memories are vague) of seeing Jack In The Box's parent company as "RALSTON PURINA'  the pet food company, and i looked it up and sure enough, the dog food company did in fact own them for awhile.  I recall seeing the ralston purina checkerboard label at the bottom of my taco wrapper. it used concern me, but not enough to not eat that taco  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/10 at 5:11 pm

I had a vague memory, (lot's of my memories are vague) of seeing Jack In The Box's parent company as "RALSTON PURINA'  the pet food company, and i looked it up and sure enough, the dog food company did in fact own them for awhile.  I recall seeing the ralston purina checkerboard label at the bottom of my taco wrapper. it used concern me, but not enough to not eat that taco  ;)

I've seen the taco's and I'd believe it!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/10 at 10:25 pm

Here buddy, buy this sandwich before I throw it to the dogs!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/dogrun.gif

Written By: Howard on 09/08/10 at 6:39 am

So Dog Food is one of their menu selections? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/10 at 12:33 am

So Dog Food is one of their menu selections? ???

No, this week it's salable for fast food consumption next week it'll be fit for dog food...or Slim Jims, which you should NEVER feed to a dog.  Makes 'em even more gassy!
8-P

Written By: nally on 09/11/10 at 4:40 pm

I always called 'em "Jack In The B Fish", due to the O and X in the logo being connected. The only thing I ever really enjoyed from there was a chicken and rice bowl, which they served for a time in the 1990's. I liked it because it had veggies, in addition to the protein. But ever since they got rid of it, I have never really cared to go back there. :-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/02/10 at 5:06 pm

Jack in the Box finally opened up in KCK yesterday, people were lined up clear around the building and it took me about 1/2 hour to get in.

I ordered a Jumbo Jack and curly fries and to be honest, I really wasn't impressed with the burger. The fries, however, were pretty good. Also I did get my antenna ball and put it on my truck this morning, so  I'm pretty geeked about that.  :D

I got off work early today and since I hadn't had breakfast I thought I'd try some of their tacos. I ordered 6 of them and all I can say is that I can now understand why people are so fond of Jack in the Box tacos. Especially stoners. I haven't smoked weed in years, but I can now understand where Jack in the Box tacos would be the perfect late night stoner food.

Even better, Jack in the Box doesn't exactly try to discourage that reputation. 

I totally get this commercial now.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWVnPlUCrf8

Written By: Frank on 11/02/10 at 5:41 pm

I was in the States last month and saw a whole bunch of these "Jack in the box" in Washington satte. Wondering what that wa. I thought: Fast food outlet?
To my knowledge, there aren't any in Canada, yet.

Written By: snozberries on 11/02/10 at 11:43 pm

I forgot to tell you guys... I went to jack in the box and got an antenna ball so yeah... they still have them  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/10 at 12:31 pm

Who jacks in the box?
:o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/03/10 at 4:51 pm

Who jacks in the box?
:o

Uncle Jack does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcuAIQyzB2s

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/04/10 at 5:51 pm

Oh man, those tacos are addicting as hell!  :o :o :o

Written By: Howard on 11/04/10 at 7:53 pm

Oh man, those tacos are addicting as hell!  :o :o :o

Don't you mean Taco Bell? ???

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/10 at 7:54 pm

Don't you mean Taco Bell? ???

No. Jack in the box sells tacos teriyaki bowls and egg rolls.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/14/10 at 6:15 pm

There's a Jack in the box a few blocks from my house. They built it where a Burger King used to be. I was pissed.

I like thier curly fries, and thier Hearty Bowl breakfast items. Those are the only things I'll eat from there. I don't like the burgers, I'm over the chicken, and I hate th coffee. It's a wonder to watch Dion massacre a burger from there.  :o

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 04/10/11 at 8:59 am

Loved them when I was a kid. Back then they served a fried burrito almost identical to the tacos they continue to sell to this day. Never understood why the burrito was removed from the menu in the mid 80s.

Jumbo Jack is good but I agree with the poster that said the Ultimate Cheeseburger is pretty much the best thing on their menu these days.

Their mozzarella sticks are gross. A choke hazard that warrants a warning label on the box.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 10:57 am

i love jack in the box. try the tacos (cheap as hell, but awesome)

Written By: delaford321 on 05/04/11 at 9:05 pm

Yeah, the Jack in the box next to my house got closed down. Would have been ok with me if they'd replaced it with a Burger King but sadly it just sits empty taunting my desire for grease.

Written By: ninny on 05/10/11 at 1:29 pm

Another place I've never been too, but would like to try. I also would like to try Sonic.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/17/11 at 7:36 pm

2 tacos for .99cents oh man, I love em  ::)  but they're so dinky so i may have said before but I get a small fries and stuff the fries into the taco and makes it bigger and the 2 go well together 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/19/11 at 5:47 am

Another place I've never been too, but would like to try. I also would like to try Sonic.

Here in KC it seems like there's a Sonic every two miles, they're EVERYWHERE.

As far as the food goes it's decent enough, but to me Sonic seems to be more about the whole carhop drive-in experience than the actual food.

I mean, Sonic is good but I don't really crave their food. On the other hand, I find myself jonesing for JITB tacos a few times a month.

Written By: annimal on 08/31/18 at 9:22 pm

the ketchup  the ketchup  jumbo jack

Check for new replies or respond here...