inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Microwave sandwich at convenience store

Written By: Obbop on 08/14/10 at 10:45 am

In the later 1979s and all or part of the 1980s I recall a particular microwavable sandwich available at convenience stores, truck stops and other places where a refrigerated case contained the various sandwich types and a microwave was on the counter allowing the customer to heat and eat the critter.

One of the more common names for the particular sandwich I remember was "Longhorn."

Another name may have been "Wrangler."

Don't remember the manufacturer but I believe that varied from area to area.

Across the USA, the manufacturer varied in various regions and the sandwiches' name also varied though I did see Longhorn more than any other name.

The sandwich was a roll-type hunk of bread longer than it was wide. Same with the meat that had that school-cafeteria-like soybean extender-like taste that i actually enjoyed.

Atop the meat was a brown gravy-like sauce that was rather thick in consistency and applied somewhat sparingly but the sandwich was still rather messy when eaten.

No bar-b-que flavor.... just a basic brown gravy taste.

I recall the Longhorn / Wrangler did have some mayonnaise applied to the roll that added to the taste, in a positive way to me.

That's it. Nothing actually all-that-special but the sandwich was everywhere and conveyed a taste and texture I haven't found in any other microwavable or fast-food sandwich.

Sometime in the mid-1980s or so I noticed that the Longhorn / Wrangler was no longer available. Kept my eyes open but none of the typical places had that sandwich anymore.

Went long-haul trucking again so was able to again range across a large area but, nope, no Longhorn nor any of the other same/very similar sandwiches from a different source with a different name.

Did an extensive Web search, including an image search but nary ANY mention of the Longhorn or a similar sandwich.

Am I the only person within the USA that savored that delectable delight?

As with most convenience store foods the Longhorn was rather high-priced but I cherished the taste and saved it as a special treat due to the price.

If there was only a source for the same sandwich I would order a case or more and have it shipped or go pick it up at the distributor, whatever.

But, maybe the Longhorn is history?

Are my hopes, dreams and desires to be dashed upon the rocks of despair?

The Old Coot is wondering if anyone hereabouts recalls that culinary delight known as the Longhorn and perhaps knows of a Web site where I can, at the least, obtain a pic of my old friend or perhaps even order some!!!!!!!!!

Or am I doomed to age, wither away. A mere pitiable husk of my former self.  Evaporating before the eyes of my minimum-wage paid non-caring "caretakers" within the institution with the post-Boomer generations wishing I would just cease breathing so as to reduce at least minutely the tax burden my continued breath-taking places upon the public largess.

My strained voice will shout out, as best possible, reaching at best a barely-audible croak that anyone near happening to care a whit about a Disgruntled Old Coot exhalations will have to bend over and place an ear in close proximity of my trembling lips to hear.... "Wrangler.... Longhorn... I never did find them."

Perhaps if there IS an after-life I will be reunited with the tasty morsel I fondly recall but reality will likely intercede and my memory of yummy will be a false memory and that first bite will be gag-inducing, producing convulsive heaves throughout the digestive tract and responses leading to banishment from paradise to the depths of Heck and the punishment therein I probably deserve.

Or something akin to that.

Subject: Re: Microwave sandwich at convenience store

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/10 at 2:48 am

Before you do something rash, call the Good Samaritans!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Written By: Obbop on 08/15/10 at 4:36 pm

""Welcome to the new global serfdom where the only professions that pay a living wage are propaganda and corporate management."

-- Chris Hedges "

As agreed with by the multi-billionaire Warren Buffet

There's class warfare, all right, Mr. (Warren) Buffett said, but it's my class, the rich class, that's making war, and we're winning."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/16/10 at 3:03 am

""Welcome to the new global serfdom where the only professions that pay a living wage are propaganda and corporate management."

-- Chris Hedges "

As agreed with by the multi-billionaire Warren Buffet

There's class warfare, all right, Mr. (Warren) Buffett said, but it's my class, the rich class, that's making war, and we're winning."

Karma for copping my siggie!

Ralph Nader wrote a fictional narrative: "Only the Super Rich Can Save Us Now."  What Mr. Nader fails to realize is the super rich are part of the problem!
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...