inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: so what about Corn?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/22/10 at 2:25 am

perhaps the most versatile of vegetables foods around. I think I eat some form of corn almost everyday.  I always thought it was a veg, but I suppose I'll accept that it's a grain.  that's so wacky but I love corn and can have it in many, many different ways. of course there's corn on the cob. I like sweet corn and yellow corn, with melted butter and salt & pepper. there are some cultures/ethinicities that spread mayonaise on theirs  8-P  and I was told not to knock it until I've tried it. I'm sure i wont try it. I would eat creamed corn first, and I have, but not in a long time and it was canned. what are some of your favorite ways to enjoy corn? 

Subject: Re: so what about Corn?

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/22/10 at 7:02 am

corn tortillas, corn syrup, corn flakes, ethanol.... :D

I love some corn niblets in stew, I love corn pudding (corn bread mix, made with cream of corn and corn niblets), I love fresh corn on the cob (hard to find this time of year), and my family loves my homemade frozen corn. 

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/22/10 at 7:07 am

I still consider it a vegetable because if I didn't then thats one less veggie my kids eat.  ;D

Corn on the cob with REAL butter and pepper.  No salt on corn for me.

Sweet corn bread.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/10 at 7:23 am

I love creamed corn

Written By: wildcard on 09/22/10 at 10:15 am

My brother is allergic to corn and I guess my mom has some food issues too, so there's less corn stuff around.  I found out that I have potty problems without corn.  I'd like to thank my dad for growing corn, me for getting popcorn at the grocery store, and there being corn chips around.  Dad and I eat the corn as is, natural sweet.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/22/10 at 1:11 pm

Nothing says summer like corn on the cob with butter salt and pepper.  It's one of my all-time FAVORITE foods.  I could probably eat it every day.  My roommate puts cajun seasoning on hers, and I tried it and loved it that way too.  Yummity yum yum yum!

Popcorn is my favorite snack.  I like Pop Secret Homestyle.  It's just perfect - not too much butter and lightly salted.  It doesn't get any better than that.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/10 at 1:20 pm

I like corn on the cob when the corn is nice and sweet and crunchy. I also like butter and salt on mine.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/22/10 at 7:30 pm

Nothing says summer like corn on the cob with butter salt and pepper.  It's one of my all-time FAVORITE foods.  I could probably eat it every day.  My roommate puts cajun seasoning on hers, and I tried it and loved it that way too.  Yummity yum yum yum!

Popcorn is my favorite snack.  I like Pop Secret Homestyle.  It's just perfect - not too much butter and lightly salted.  It doesn't get any better than that.
that's my favorite microwave popcorn too!!!  :)

I pig out on corn on the cob, i dont like to cut my corn off with a knife, i just start chomping all the way to the end and roll it and keep chomping, I'll eat the whole thing before i touch other food on my plate.

love corn bread, tortilla chips, catfish fried with corn meal coating, corn tortillas with butter. the corn husks impart a great flavor as in tamales, but you can use them to steam fish or shrimp with a good mole sauce. just make little packets & fill the husks and tie them up and put them on the bbq, good tasting stuff comes out of those packages
..I'm also very fond of canned corn/niblets

Fritos corn chips rule!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/10 at 2:54 am

Hey, corn!  Now we can make tortillas.  We've been waiting hondreds of years for this!

--FST

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/23/10 at 11:03 am

I pig out on corn on the cob, i dont like to cut my corn off with a knife, i just start chomping all the way to the end and roll it and keep chomping, I'll eat the whole thing before i touch other food on my plate.

I do the exact same thing!  You have to eat the best thing first!

And now I am sooo craving homemade tamales...

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/23/10 at 1:00 pm

Oh yeah, how could I forget Popcorn.  I like microwavable popcorn, I don't really have a favorite. I usually get Orville Redenbacher or Pop Secret.

I love kettle corn that you get from amusment parks/fairs. 
Movie theater popcorn with butter (of course.).
Target has some of the best popcorn, I love to shop and munch on a bag of popcorn.

I like corn muffins, cut open with butter then toasted under the broiler.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/10 at 1:02 pm

Oh yeah, how could I forget Popcorn.  I like microwavable popcorn, I don't really have a favorite. I usually get Orville Redenbacher or Pop Secret.

I love kettle corn that you get from amusment parks/fairs. 
Movie theater popcorn with butter (of course.).
Target has some of the best popcorn, I love to shop and munch on a bag of popcorn.

I like corn muffins, cut open with butter then toasted under the broiler.

I like butter toffee popcorn myself.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/10 at 1:03 pm

Who likes creamed corn?

Written By: nally on 09/23/10 at 1:06 pm

I enjoy eating corn on the cob. I also like cornbread.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/10 at 1:32 pm

I enjoy eating corn on the cob. I also like cornbread.

cornbread is good with butter.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/23/10 at 1:37 pm

Mmmm...yeah it is. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/24/10 at 4:49 pm

Hey Mike, did you ever try making this?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=34568.0

I can think of few better ways to prepare corn.  ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/25/10 at 3:14 pm

Isn't there a corn palace in Nebraska or something.  My aunt went there once and it was always on my list of places to go (because I rather like corn.)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/10 at 8:24 pm

I love the stuff.  Consume some every day in the form of chips, starch, flour, and of course HFCS, to say nothing of the ethanol in my gasoline.

Don't feel like waiting for water to boil?  An $0.25 ear of the stuff in your microwave on high for 90 seconds will do you right, and taste way better than any of the above.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/unexsistant/bushbananaol2.jpg

But I still think the world would be a better place if the first Primary results in the US electoral system didn't come from states that grow it.  

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/10 at 9:40 pm

The facial expression requires a caption suggesting where the one Dubya is addressing can shove that ear of corn!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_pale.gif

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/25/10 at 9:55 pm

I love the stuff.  Consume some every day in the form of chips, starch, flour, and of course HFCS, to say nothing of the ethanol in my gasoline.

Don't feel like waiting for water to boil?  An $0.25 ear of the stuff in your microwave on high for 90 seconds will do you right, and taste way better than any of the above.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/unexsistant/bushbananaol2.jpg

But I still think the world would be a better place if the first Primary results in the US electoral system didn't come from states that grow it.  
I take offense to that comment...  And the corn we grow goes into animal feed, ethanol, greases, oils, alcohol, diapers, ethonol, and without it this country of ours wouldn't have much of an economy...  Were would you be without agriculture?  Naked, hungry and homeless...

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/26/10 at 12:54 am

I take offense to that comment...  And the corn we grow goes into animal feed, ethanol, greases, oils, alcohol, diapers, ethonol, and without it this country of ours wouldn't have much of an economy...  Were would you be without agriculture?  Naked, hungry and homeless...

Corn rocks.  Its influence on our political system is way out of proportion to the degree to which corn rocks :)

My bad for coming across as douchebaggier-than-normal in my post - I like corn.  I eat the stuff willingly (even gleefully!) off the cob whenever I get the chance.  I think the HFCS hysteria is actually pretty silly - 90/10 fructose/sucrose might do weird things over a long term, but the more commonly-used 55/45 is close enough that the body doesn't know or care about the difference.

(Although I do believe that if you're going to turn food - be it food for cows or humans - into ethanol for fuel, you should use foods that deliver sugar directly without an industrial process that requires the intermediate step of metabolizing starches to sugars, such as sugar beets or sugar cane, but those particular crops don't grow as well in the states that benefit from an accident that matched ADM's needs with those of our political cycle.  

Obligatory corn: Whole reason for my post was because I remembered the image macro from back in the day and loved the look of bewilderment on W's face, but also because I dropped a whole dollar (hey, big spender!) on the stuff earlier today so that I'd have another four cobs of it to make it through the week.  The three cobs will be gone by Wednesday.  The canned stuff is OK, but $0.25 of corn on the cob beats $0.99 worth of corn in the can.  The microwave is a quick fix, don't even get me started on how good it tastes grilled.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/10 at 7:07 am

http://www2.muahangmy.com/uploads/product/2009/08/24/51A_qkBlZUL_SS500_1.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/10 at 1:58 am

So the Clampetts have Rev. Smith over to dinner.  They're testing his temperance and chastity, you see.  Mrs. Clampett says, "Reverend, would you like some more corn?"
And the Reverend reached for his glass!
:-\\

Does anybody actually get that joke anymore?
???

Written By: Howard on 09/27/10 at 6:52 am

So the Clampetts have Rev. Smith over to dinner.  They're testing his temperance and chastity, you see.  Mrs. Clampett says, "Reverend, would you like some more corn?"

???

I don't understand that joke. ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/27/10 at 10:34 am

???

Maybe it's because I come from the foothills of Appalachia, or have watched too many episodes of The Dukes of Hazzard (or M*A*S*H even), but I DO understand you are talking about White Lightning, otherwise known as Moonshine that you use corn mash to make.

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/27/10 at 5:28 pm

I don't understand that joke. ???
Moonshine Howard ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/27/10 at 5:28 pm

Maybe it's because I come from the foothills of Appalachia, or have watched too many episodes of The Dukes of Hazzard (or M*A*S*H even), but I DO understand you are talking about White Lightning, otherwise known as Moonshine that you use corn mash to make.
Or what Patty said  ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/27/10 at 5:42 pm

Isn't there a corn palace in Nebraska or something.  My aunt went there once and it was always on my list of places to go (because I rather like corn.)

Actually the Corn Palace is in Mitchell, South Dakota, my parents dragged me in there once or twice when I was little.  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/27/10 at 8:29 pm

Actually the Corn Palace is in Mitchell, South Dakota, my parents dragged me in there once or twice when I was little.  ;D

oops... Anything West of the Mississippi and I lose my way.  :D 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/10 at 11:43 pm

Moonshine Howard ;)

The great thing about Prohibition was you could have alcohol at your home.  You could not transport it.  You could not sell it.  Thus, no more alcohol could legally come into your household.  That way they didn't have to raid the Rockefellers' wine cellars and gran'pa didn't have to worry about the bottle of hooch under the sink.  The problem was, the Roosevelt wine stock was solid until about 1979 (my guess).  Whereas, gran'pa would run out of hooch sooner or later.  Now he's gotta sneak down to Harry's 'still in the middle of the night!

So, immediately people ask, why didn't everybody set up there own breweries and distilleries on their own property.  Most folks in 1930 didn't have their own property.  It took consent of --or concealment from -- a property owner in order to manufacture the stuff.  The raw ingredients don't cost much money.  Once you've get the brewing and distilling process down perfectly, you can pay back everybody you owe for rent, raw materials, and bribery.  Then you're broke.  Back to the 'still.  Before you know it, you're a bootlegger. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/02/10 at 8:00 pm

oops... Anything West of the Mississippi and I lose my way.   :D 

Funny, same goes for me when I get East of the Mississippi.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 12:25 am

Funny, same goes for me when I get East of the Mississippi.  ;)

Out west your roads were laid out in the age of railroads.  The surveyors drew lines.  They made sense. There is a reason why what road is called what.  In the Northeast, they just paved over the cow paths and the old stage coach roads.  I still get lost driving from Arlington to Malden.  You can see your destination in Boston and still spend an hour trying to get there!
::)

Written By: annimal on 08/31/18 at 9:26 pm

I need a extra ear to hear

Written By: nally on 10/01/18 at 11:23 pm

especially when it's hot out of the oven.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/02/18 at 5:42 am

Corn is badass.  Always makes a second appearance.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/18 at 8:06 am

I like corn on the cob.

Written By: nally on 03/02/19 at 10:10 pm

I like corn on the cob when the corn is nice and sweet and crunchy. I also like butter and salt on mine.

I like corn on the cob.

Glad you still enjoy it. So do I. O0

Personally I could do without butter and salt (even though some people actually enjoy 'em on corn).

Written By: annimal on 03/02/19 at 11:02 pm

I love corn on the cob

Written By: Howard on 03/03/19 at 2:41 pm

I also like creamed corn.

Check for new replies or respond here...