inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sawmill, sausage, white, country GRAVY...whatever you want to call it...

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/19/11 at 9:56 am

I can not make it!!!  I have tried hundreds of times and it never turns out right.  I've used different recipes and they always suck...

Funny thing is I make awesome gravy for my turkey, I can make S.O.S. (on of hubby's favorite from the Navy) but for some reason I can not make sausage gravy ( as we call it here in the South).  I make a roux ( sometimes with butter, other times with bacon drippings or sausage drippings), I add my milk and let it thicken and it is always AWFUL!!!  I don't know what I'm doing wrong, so if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.  ;D

My husband would be shocked if I could make a gravy that didn't taste like glue!! :D

Subject: Re: Sawmill, sausage, white, country GRAVY...whatever you want to call it...

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/11 at 12:11 pm

I can not make it!!!   I have tried hundreds of times and it never turns out right.  I've used different recipes and they always suck...

Funny thing is I make awesome gravy for my turkey, I can make S.O.S. (on of hubby's favorite from the Navy) but for some reason I can not make sausage gravy ( as we call it here in the South).  I make a roux ( sometimes with butter, other times with bacon drippings or sausage drippings), I add my milk and let it thicken and it is always AWFUL!!!  I don't know what I'm doing wrong, so if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.  ;D

My husband would be shocked if I could make a gravy that didn't taste like glue!! :D

You may be using too much flour, that is the only thing I can think of.

Subject: Re: Sawmill, sausage, white, country GRAVY...whatever you want to call it...

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/19/11 at 12:38 pm

You may be using too much flour, that is the only thing I can think of.

I'm sure that's it but when I've asked some of hubby's family members  how they make it all I get is "well, I take some bacon grease and some flour and I cook it, then I add milk." and I ask "how much flour." and  "how long." etc., they can't tell me because they don't use any kinds of measurement, it's just done from memory.  I tried following a recipe or two and they called for a lot of flour.  Maybe someday I'll get it.

Thanks!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/11 at 1:30 pm

I'm sure that's it but when I've asked some of hubby's family members  how they make it all I get is "well, I take some bacon grease and some flour and I cook it, then I add milk." and I ask "how much flour." and  "how long." etc., they can't tell me because they don't use any kinds of measurement, it's just done from memory.  I tried following a recipe or two and they called for a lot of flour.  Maybe someday I'll get it.

Thanks!

I never use very much flour, usually just a couple of tablespoons, if it needs to be thicker I add some of the hot liquid to about a teaspoon of flour pour back in.  Give it some time to thicken up.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/19/11 at 5:09 pm

Thanks!
1 lb sausage fried
1/4 flour added to grease (don't drain) or if you drain add back another 1/4 c of melted butter... Let it cook for 2-5 minutes (till golden, to cook the flour so it us not glue).  Stir in two cups milk, I add a little more because it thickens as it cools.  Add salt and pepper to taste (lots of both)!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/11 at 6:03 pm

1 lb sausage fried
1/4 flour added to grease (don't drain) or if you drain add back another 1/4 c of melted butter... Let it cook for 2-5 minutes (till golden, to cook the flour so it us not glue).  Stir in two cups milk, I add a little more because it thickens as it cools.  Add salt and pepper to taste (lots of both)!

That is a 1/4 cup of flour, not a quarter pound.......just sayin'..........

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/19/11 at 7:49 pm

That is a 1/4 cup of flour, not a quarter pound.......just sayin'..........

You are right, that is a quarter cup!

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/19/11 at 10:44 pm

Thanks!  I'm gonna try it again, I'm not going to tell anyone so I do not disappoint them if it doesn't turn out.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/20/11 at 12:05 am

Thanks!  I'm gonna try it again, I'm not going to tell anyone so I do not disappoint them if it doesn't turn out.
OTHERWISE... and here is my "easy secret"  I buy the sausage gravy packet (of any variety - the powdered packet, in the sauce packet area of grocery store) and I cook the sausage, add 1/2 milk, 1/2 water and put in the gravy mix... Easy Peasy and not really that expensive because I buy the cheap ones and get away with it, I just may need 2 if they are small packets...

When I was scared to make it, and sometimes I still get either too thick, too lumpy or too runny (but hey - that is what homemade is all about).... 

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/11 at 5:15 am

OTHERWISE... and here is my "easy secret"  I buy the sausage gravy packet (of any variety - the powdered packet, in the sauce packet area of grocery store) and I cook the sausage, add 1/2 milk, 1/2 water and put in the gravy mix... Easy Peasy and not really that expensive because I buy the cheap ones and get away with it, I just may need 2 if they are small packets...

When I was scared to make it, and sometimes I still get either too thick, too lumpy or too runny (but hey - that is what homemade is all about).... 

I think a lot more people than anyone thinks does this.  It's like pie crust...... I will never do THAT from scratch again either  ;) . 

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/20/11 at 8:22 am

That's what I've been doing and everyone likes it but I thought I'd at least try to learn to make homemade, it's a personal challenge.  ;D

I think a lot more people than anyone thinks does this.  It's like pie crust...... I will never do THAT from scratch again either  ;) . 

I was like that with biscuits, I would get flour and lard, mix, cut and wind up with hockey pucks, then I discovered the ones in the frozen foods section. 

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/20/11 at 10:18 am

BY GEORGE, I THINK SHE'S GOT IT!!!

Not perfect, but getting there. I didn't have sausage so I  used the bacon drippings, I think it's the sausage that I'm missing.

Thanks!!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/11 at 3:23 pm

Not perfect, but getting there. I didn't have sausage so I  used the bacon drippings, I think it's the sausage that I'm missing.

Thanks!!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hello2.gif

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/20/11 at 8:39 pm

That's what I've been doing and everyone likes it but I thought I'd at least try to learn to make homemade, it's a personal challenge.  ;D

I was like that with biscuits, I would get flour and lard, mix, cut and wind up with hockey pucks, then I discovered the ones in the frozen foods section. 
Not a problem...

I have 4 c. of buttermilk from making "homemade" butter last week.  Wishing I knew how to make buttermilk biscuits.  Keep thinking about making an attempt, but I know the ones in the frozen food section is DELICIOUS!

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/20/11 at 8:41 pm

Thanks!!
Congratulations O0  I had faith in you...

Now if you have a recipe for the "deviled eggs" that I like, that would be great.  No one has a recipe for them, and their are thousands of recipes that I seem to NOT like  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...