inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Egg Nog.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/11 at 8:04 pm

Attention: Alton Brown would like to remind y'all that Egg Nog does not come in a carton.

FuWOYeWYMZ4
P3RwPo-ovi8

And that Christmas ain't over yet.

That is all.  Resume your holiday festivities.

Subject: Re: Egg Nog.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/25/11 at 8:58 pm

Attention: Alton Brown would like to remind y'all that Egg Nog does not come in a carton.

FuWOYeWYMZ4
P3RwPo-ovi8

And that Christmas ain't over yet.

That is all.  Resume your holiday festivities.
OH MY  (and please insert sarcasm) EATING/DRINKING RAW EGGS - oh the humanity, it will be our undoing  ::)

40 years of raw cookie dough, and various batters - and I caught salmonella from "exotic birds" somewhere from Latin America - damn bird flew over my picnic table, or someone had one and did not wash their hands... (YEP, it was analyzed)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/11 at 9:10 pm

OH MY  (and please insert sarcasm) EATING/DRINKING RAW EGGS - oh the humanity, it will be our undoing  ::)

I loved Alton Brown's take on it.  Present the real recipe, outline the real risks (extraordinarily low for non-immunocompromised people in North America ca. 2010-2011), and then present the recipe as required by the lawyers.  As a fan of eggnog so thick you can eat it with a fork, I don't have a problem with heating it, but I do drink a mug of the raw stuff while I'm thickening it up, and for the better part of a decade, I've also suffered no ill effects.  Fresh eggs, a precautionary rinse (probably unnecessary these days), and winning.

XV_tch9PrYs

But salmonella?  Oh yeah, it's real!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2270/2128022645_563cb40aca.jpg

Sam and Ella's Chicken Palace, Tahlequah, OK!

Can anyone tell me if the Chicken Palace predates the Animiniacs episode (Season 1, epsiode 41, "Buttermilk, It Makes a Body Bitter / Broadcast Nuisance / Raging Bird", first aired November 15, 1993)?  Or was it the other way around?

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/25/11 at 9:12 pm

I loved Alton Brown's take on it.  Present the real recipe, outline the real risks (extraordinarily low for non-immunocompromised people in North America 2010-2011), and then present the recipe as required by the lawyers.  As a fan of eggnog so thick you can eat it with a fork, I don't have a problem with heating it, but I do drink a mug of the raw stuff while I'm thickening it up, and for the better part of a decade, I've suffered no ill effects.

XV_tch9PrYs

It's real.  Sam and Ella's Chicken Palace, Tahlequah, OK!

Can anyone tell me if the Chicken Palace predates the Animiniacs episode (Season 1, epsiode 41, "Buttermilk, It Makes a Body Bitter / Broadcast Nuisance / Raging Bird", first aired November 15, 1993)?  Or was it the other way around?
I have had homemade egg nog, in my younger years (before my gut started feeling like a punching bag, after consuming it) - it is good stuff. 

On a similar note, do you remember Orange julius recipe - with real raw egg in it  :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/11 at 9:19 pm

I have had homemade egg nog, in my younger years (before my gut started feeling like a punching bag, after consuming it) - it is good stuff.  

You say that like it's a bad thing-oh.  Your gut, not your head feeling like a punching bag.  Yeah, that's a bad thing :)  Still worth it.

On a similar note, do you remember Orange julius recipe - with real raw egg in it  :D

Nope, but you made me google it.  Orange Julius, and why I could never reproduce it at home.  Until now... Muhahahah...

For those who really can't bring themselves to try the raw egg (even if it's pasteurized, which is safe even by USDA's standards), this should produce a reasonable facsimile of an Orange Julius.  Alton Brown hints at it himself in the egg nog discussion.  Ice cream is just a frozen custard, and whether egg whites or guar gum that holds it together, it's still pretty tasty, so why not go the other way 'round, and start with a good ice cream?

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/25/11 at 9:24 pm

You say that like it's a bad thing-oh.  Your gut, not your head feeling like a punching bag.  Yeah, that's a bad thing :)  Still worth it.

Nope, but you made me google it.  Orange Julius, and why I could never reproduce it at home.  Until now... Muhahahah...

For those who really can't bring themselves to try the raw egg (even if it's pasteurized, which is safe even by USDA's standards), this should produce a reasonable facsimile of an Orange Julius.  Alton Brown hints at it himself in the egg nog discussion.  Ice cream is just a frozen custard, and whether egg whites or guar gum that holds it together, it's still pretty tasty, so why not go the other way 'round, and start with a good ice cream?
and why I am not really a fan of current version of orange julius at the stand...  I think you will be fascinated by your new recipe!

Oh ya our recipe for homemade ice cream contains uncooked eggs...  none of that "cooking a custard" for us we just put it all in the machine, and everyone raves over it...  ::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/25/11 at 9:30 pm

BTW - we always used whole egg...

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/11 at 4:50 am

He uses bourbon, my father always used rum and people loved it.  Since I am lactose and egg intolerant it isn't quite the drink for me, I'll just have the rum.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/26/11 at 6:51 am

I love Egg Nog, maybe I'll buy a carton this week.

Written By: Lindee on 01/21/12 at 1:27 pm

My mom used to make it with raw eggs. She used to give it to us to drink it when we had an upset stomach or the flu.  :o As if that was going to help us feel better.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/12 at 7:44 pm

So what exactly is "Nog"? ???

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/21/12 at 10:13 pm

Egg nog - even from the carton, makes the BEST french toast in the world.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/22/12 at 6:32 am

I love drinking it when it's close to the holidays.

Check for new replies or respond here...