inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The outdoor grilling/barbecue thread

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/30/12 at 2:03 pm

Since it's summertime, I thought I'd start a thread where all us grillmasters and flame-broilers could represent!  8)

When I was still back in Nebraska, my brothers and I used to grill out almost every weekend during the summer, and I got to be pretty good at working the grill. But then I moved to Kansas City in 2004 and lived in 2 apartment complexes, neither one of which allowed gas or charcoal grills, which really bummed me out because grilling is one of my favorite things to do.

Then last September I moved over to the Kansas side, and one of the things that sealed the deal for me moving into my new apartment was that they allow grills on the patio, so as soon as I moved in I bought a nice new Char-Broil gas grill. I'm still a little rusty but I'm quickly getting my skills back. Mainly I'll throw on some brats or Italian sausages but I've done a steak here and there as well as some chicken breasts.

I also have an electric smoker which I haven't used lately but I have smoked Memphis-style spareribs a few times with mixed results.

What about you? What do you like to throw on the grill? And do you prefer gas or charcoal?

Subject: Re: The outdoor grilling/barbecue thread

Written By: meesa on 05/30/12 at 2:12 pm

I don't often grill...but when I do, I use charcoal.

Stay smoky, my friends.
;D

Seriously, charcoal is the best, because of the flavor.

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/12 at 4:07 pm

http://www.insideout-tees.com/images/sample_strickland.jpg

:D   

Truth is I prefer wood grilled over charcoal and charcoal over propane but I can never resist the urge to respond with a King of the Hill reference when appropriate!!!  ;) 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/30/12 at 10:04 pm

We have a nice gas grill, and we cook out occasionally, but I must admit, I am not that good at it. :-\\  We mainly cook steaks, burgers, and grilled veggies.

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/30/12 at 11:59 pm

Ribs. Pork ribs. Mostly baby back ribs. The old southern way.  8)

Sloooowwwwww and loooowwww, thats the way to do it (we're talking hours here), and on a charcoal w/wood grill. Meat should be ready to fall off the bone if you do it right.

I know propane/gas is a lot more even tempered and controllable, but it always tastes better over charcoal and wood (wood adds lots of flavor). BBQ is supposed to be slightly "dirty", thats part of the flavor right there.
Gas is too "clean".

Something so much less "soul" infused about a gas grill. The whole idea about BBQ is getting a handle on how to control the charcoal and the wood and where to place the meat on the grill. Its never exactly the same each time, and its up to the griller to take some responsibility and initiative to get it right.

Gas grills take all the variance out of it, and thats half the fun and the taste of BBQ...its supposed to be sort of an adventure.

Let's put it this way, on a scale of 1-10, gas grills will get you a consistent 7 or 8 almost always. And wood or charcoal, admittingly, can really be all over the place (if you don't know what you're doing), when its bad, its bad...

BUT the best wood or charcoal BBQ, when its good, like a 9 or 10, is always going to taste better than the best gas grilled BBQ...well thats my opinion anyway... ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/01/12 at 10:35 pm

We have a nice gas grill, and we cook out occasionally, but I must admit, I am not that good at it. :-\\  We mainly cook steaks, burgers, and grilled veggies.

That just means you ain't grillin' enough.

While we're on this:

grilling: steaks and burgers and veggies.  A few minutes per side, you're in and out in 30-60 minutes.  Good quality tender meats, or ground meats/sausages.
barbecue: see below.  If you don't start before noon in order to finish for dinner, it ain't BBQ.  Cheap tough meats like shoulder and brisket and chuck, slowly rendered into glorious, cut-with-a-spoon slices of smoky heaven.

Ribs. Pork ribs. Mostly baby back ribs. The old southern way.  8)

Sloooowwwwww and loooowwww, thats the way to do it (we're talking hours here), and on a charcoal w/wood grill. Meat should be ready to fall off the bone if you do it right.

I know propane/gas is a lot more even tempered and controllable, but it always tastes better over charcoal and wood (wood adds lots of flavor).

You can come pretty close with a gas grill.  As long as you're willing to take some suitable wood chips, soak them in water overnight before you start cooking, and figure out a way to keep them on/near the very low flame.  Tricky, but fun.  The source of the heat can be swapped out, but I'm with you 100% on the need for wood.  You really can taste the difference, for instance, between apple, oak/hickory, or mesquite.  Delish, but subtly different.

Despite the fact that he would probably slay me where I stand for having ever suggested propane and soaked woodchips as an acceptable alternative, Biggles of Meathenge fame is my first stop when I need some carnivorous inspiration.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/02/12 at 5:27 am

Gumby has it right.  In this era of instant gratification and take out if there is one place we should have art it is in barbecue.  You can throw a hunk of meat on any source of heat you want, but don't call it barbecue.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/02/12 at 8:43 am

That just means you ain't grillin' enough.

While we're on this:

grilling: steaks and burgers and veggies.  A few minutes per side, you're in and out in 30-60 minutes.  Good quality tender meats, or ground meats/sausages.
barbecue: see below.  If you don't start before noon in order to finish for dinner, it ain't BBQ.  Cheap tough meats like shoulder and brisket and chuck, slowly rendered into glorious, cut-with-a-spoon slices of smoky heaven.

You can come pretty close with a gas grill.  As long as you're willing to take some suitable wood chips, soak them in water overnight before you start cooking, and figure out a way to keep them on/near the very low flame.  Tricky, but fun.  The source of the heat can be swapped out, but I'm with you 100% on the need for wood.  You really can taste the difference, for instance, between apple, oak/hickory, or mesquite.  Delish, but subtly different.

Despite the fact that he would probably slay me where I stand for having ever suggested propane and soaked woodchips as an acceptable alternative, Biggles of Meathenge fame is my first stop when I need some carnivorous inspiration.

My Brinkman electric smoker works pretty well for the most part. It looks similar to one of the upright charcoal smokers but inside, at the bottom it has an electric heating element (similar to one found at the bottom of an electric oven) that's surrounded with lava rocks, and you soak some wood chips overnight and spread them around on the lava rocks and it provides a good smoky flavor.

I bought The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichen (host of Barbecue U on PBS) and I used this recipe for Memphis-style spareribs with, again, mixed results, though this was more due to my figuring out how to use the smoker than the actual recipe. (Living in Kansas City I could get my ass kicked for saying this, but I actually think Memphis-style barbecue, which uses a dry rub method, is actually slightly superior to KC-style BBQ, and that's saying a lot because there's some KILLER barbecue joints here in KC.) First time I smoked some ribs they came out great, but I tried smoking them again later in the year and they didn't come out very well because it was quite a bit colder outside so they didn't cook properly.

But now that it's nice out again I'm thinking about smoking up some chicken wings one of these weekends just to see how that goes.  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/12 at 5:56 am

I bought The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichen (host of Barbecue U on PBS) and I used this recipe for Memphis-style spareribs with, again, mixed results, though this was more due to my figuring out how to use the smoker than the actual recipe. (Living in Kansas City I could get my ass kicked for saying this, but I actually think Memphis-style barbecue, which uses a dry rub method, is actually slightly superior to KC-style BBQ, and that's saying a lot because there's some KILLER barbecue joints here in KC.) First time I smoked some ribs they came out great, but I tried smoking them again later in the year and they didn't come out very well because it was quite a bit colder outside so they didn't cook properly.

But now that it's nice out again I'm thinking about smoking up some chicken wings one of these weekends just to see how that goes.  ;)

I am a big dry rub fan.  I think the real test of barbecue is if the rib tastes great without being slathered with sauce.  Sauce covers a multitude of sins.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/06/12 at 5:08 pm

I am a big dry rub fan.  I think the real test of barbecue is if the rib tastes great without being slathered with sauce.  Sauce covers a multitude of sins.

True, but if you combine a well-prepared rib with an excellent sauce, it's like a little bit of heaven in your mouth.  8)

I don't know if they sell this stuff in your neck of the woods (it's made in Perry, MO) but it is unfreakingbelievable. So much so that if you're serious about your barbecue I'd recommend ordering it online.

http://www.bbqfans.com/product_images/z/827/blues-hog-original-bbq-sauce__99602_zoom.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/12 at 6:40 pm

I don't know if they sell this stuff in your neck of the woods (it's made in Perry, MO) but it is unfreakingbelievable. So much so that if you're serious about your barbecue I'd recommend ordering it online.

AND.....if you ever do come to the northeast and have a hankering, this is the place to go.  They taught the northeast what barbecue is, and continue to school them.

Redbones, Somerville Massachusetts(where the sidewalks meet the streets and all the trees have leaves)

http://www.harbus.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Redbones-by-Haley-DiNunzio.jpg

Written By: loki 13 on 07/16/12 at 9:15 pm

The Boy bought me a charcoal smoker for fathers day and I've been playing around with it a bit. Yesterday I
did up a whole chicken, my first foray into poultry since damn near burning down the garage. I used a dry
rub both under and on the skin and let it sit over night, prior to putting it on the smoker I used a marinade
injection. I also did up some potatoes and corn on the cob. The potatoes I smathered with bacon grease and
rolled them around in another rub and the corn was pasted with melted butter with fresh basil and chives; a
little garlic, salt and pepper.

Chicken....5 hrs.
Potatoes....3 hrs.
Corn....1 1/2 hrs.

I know I did a good job as there was nothing left, I think I'll do up some fish this weekend.

Written By: snozberries on 07/16/12 at 9:43 pm

The Boy bought me a charcoal smoker for fathers day and I've been playing around with it a bit. Yesterday I
did up a whole chicken, my first foray into poultry since damn near burning down the garage. I used a dry
rub both under and on the skin and let it sit over night, prior to putting it on the smoker I used a marinade
injection. I also did up some potatoes and corn on the cob. The potatoes I smathered with bacon grease and
rolled them around in another rub and the corn was pasted with melted butter with fresh basil and chives; a
little garlic, salt and pepper.

Chicken....5 hrs.
Potatoes....3 hrs.
Corn....1 1/2 hrs.

I know I did a good job as there was nothing left, I think I'll do up some fish this weekend.

It's pitiable right? Bring that thing o Santa Barbara  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 07/19/12 at 6:20 pm

It's pitiable right? Bring that thing o Santa Barbara  ;D

Okay, but for which, the chicken I did last week or the fish I'll be doing this week. I've decided on swordfish and since
it will be swordfish I'll be mixing up a cajun rub. I haven't decided on sides yet, the potatoes and corn will be a faithful
standby but I want to try something different.

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/12 at 6:23 pm

Okay, but for which, the chicken I did last week or the fish I'll be doing this week. I've decided on swordfish and since
it will be swordfish I'll be mixing up a cajun rub. I haven't decided on sides yet, the potatoes and corn will be a faithful
standby but I want to try something different.

ummmmm  both?!?  :D

thank you for recognizing that pitable was supposed to read portable  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 07/19/12 at 6:47 pm

ummmmm  both?!?  :D

thank you for recognizing that pitable was supposed to read portable  ;D

How about some spare ribs too, I've been getting pretty good at those. I use a nice tangy rub with a mop sauce,
no BBQ sauce. Contrary to popular belief though I don't make fall off the bone ribs. My ribs are tender enough
that the meat pulls easily away from the bone yet the meat will hold it's integrity.

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/12 at 7:08 pm

How about some spare ribs too, I've been getting pretty good at those. I use a nice tangy rub with a mop sauce,
no BBQ sauce. Contrary to popular belief though I don't make fall off the bone ribs. My ribs are are tender enough
that the meat pulls easily away from the bone yet the meat will hold it's integrity.

OH HELL YEAH!!!! Damn you're making me so hungry!!!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/19/12 at 9:38 pm

We're supposed to have a BBQ fest/cook-off soon here in Pittsburgh.  I went a couple years ago when Johnny Lang was playing.  I absolutely LOVE BBQ, I just didn't have much money to buy the amount that I wanted to try.  :-[

Hubby keeps saying every year that we oughta get our grill working again, but always seems to be something else comes up before that gets fixed.  I might have to just buy a cheap charcoal thing one of these days and be done with it.  I love the smell of BBQ, they really ought to make that into a mens' cologne.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/12 at 9:40 pm

We're supposed to have a BBQ fest/cook-off soon here in Pittsburgh.  I went a couple years ago when Johnny Lang was playing.  I absolutely LOVE BBQ, I just didn't have much money to buy the amount that I wanted to try.  :-[

Hubby keeps saying every year that we oughta get our grill working again, but always seems to be something else comes up before that gets fixed.  I might have to just buy a cheap charcoal thing one of these days and be done with it.  I love the smell of BBQ, they really ought to make that into a mens' cologne.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Love eating BBQ. Hate the work that goes into doing it yourself.
I will pay big bucks for good BBQ just so I dont have to do any cooking or cleaning.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/22/12 at 5:15 pm

The Cajun style swordfish was hit, though it got done a little quicker than I would have liked.
With the fish, 3 steaks, the corn and mixed vegetables all in the smoker I figured for 3 hours
but all was done in 2, Oh well live and learn.

I had another side dish as well but before I say what it was I want to say I know my method is
unconventional and it not the proper way to eat this dish but Edgardo, one of my best friends
in high school turned me on to this dish and it's the way he ate them and it's the way I like it.

I sliced up 3 plantains on put them on the grill, a few minutes each side and when they were done
I put on some salt, pepper and ketchup and went to town.

Written By: snozberries on 07/22/12 at 5:34 pm

I sliced up 3 plantains on put them on the grill, a few minutes each side and when they were done
I put on some salt, pepper and ketchup and went to town.

ketchup?
                    http://serve.mysmiley.net/confused/confused0052.gif

Written By: loki 13 on 07/22/12 at 5:58 pm

ketchup?
                    http://serve.mysmiley.net/confused/confused0052.gif

That's why I put the disclaimer first.  ;D

Yes, ketchup, they taste just like home fries.

Written By: snozberries on 07/22/12 at 7:07 pm

That's why I put the disclaimer first.  ;D

Yes, ketchup, they taste just like home fries.

I'll take your word for it...but if you actually did drag that smoker over here I'd totally try it.  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/20/12 at 10:56 pm

So, anybody got any leftover pulled pork, beef brisket, or mashed potatoes?

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/epic-fail-photos-win-bbq-in-disguise-win.jpg

Because if you do, now you know what you want to eat for dinner tomorrow night.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/23/12 at 9:53 pm

BEHOLD!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7277/7470458458_2dfc363775_z.jpg

The spiral-cut hot dog:

NyieI2bxyIk

They cook straight, fit in a bun, and the larger surface area gives you more crispy goodness and places to hide condiments. 

Why the hell have we not been doing this for years?  The earliest reference I can find is 2008, but 2012 appears to have been the year it really took off.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/23/12 at 10:05 pm

BEHOLD!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7277/7470458458_2dfc363775_z.jpg

The spiral-cut hot dog:

NyieI2bxyIk

They cook straight, fit in a bun, and the larger surface area gives you more crispy goodness and places to hide condiments. 

Why the hell have we not been doing this for years?  The earliest reference I can find is 2008, but 2012 appears to have been the year it really took off.
Not sold on it!  I really do not like grilled hotdogs anyway (if done right delishes, but please I do not want char lines)!  I love "old fashioned" hotdogs (yes in the original casings) and they are fabulous splitting open on the grill!  But I do not believe they would spiral very well!

I will tell you I am in love with Bacon wrapping and grilling my hotdogs!!!!!  OMG why did I not think of it earlier!!!

http://stalkingsarah.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/img_2306.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/12 at 3:01 am

I'm intrigued by both the spiral & thebaconwrapped dogs

Written By: danootaandme on 08/24/12 at 4:06 am

Loving the spiral  :)

Written By: karen on 08/24/12 at 5:00 pm

Really hasn't been the weather for barbecueing here.  We got as far as digging out the grill and charcoal a couple of weeks ago, but the rain started before we'd lit the thing.

Outside of the usual sausages and burgers etc that we like to cook is salmon fillets.  I usually wrap them in foil to cook them and serve them with a dash of balsamic vinegar.  We also often barbecue pineapple either slices or quarters.

Subject: ~

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/24/12 at 6:21 pm

I will tell you.... Get your meat now because it is going to get pricey when the feed bills start going into the new crop!!!!  We had to start feeding hay early in July (unheard of 2+ months earlier than usual) and people chopping silage now and it is testing 0-20 and 0-40 bushels to the acre (what is normally 200 bushels to the acre).  Expect your food prices to go through the roof. 

I wish I could say the farmers where going to make that.  We have cattle, surely we do not have to worry about the price.  Ask me how much beef we have in the freezer right now....

Zero, we can not afford it.  I only have pork and deer....    :\'(

Subject: Re: ~

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/28/12 at 8:32 pm

I will tell you.... Get your meat now because it is going to get pricey when the feed bills start going into the new crop!!!!  We had to start feeding hay early in July (unheard of 2+ months earlier than usual) and people chopping silage now and it is testing 0-20 and 0-40 bushels to the acre (what is normally 200 bushels to the acre).  Expect your food prices to go through the roof. 

I wish I could say the farmers where going to make that.  We have cattle, surely we do not have to worry about the price.  Ask me how much beef we have in the freezer right now....

Zero, we can not afford it.  I only have pork and deer....    :\'(

The corn crop is toast this year, so yeah, it's not gonna be easy to get beef into the stores.  For a brief moment I thought we'd have a brief beef surplus (as herds got liquidated), and then I realized that even if that were the case, there's no way anybody could afford to fatten said beef on its way to liquidation. So yeah, get thee some beef while it's out there, it's gonna be a lean winter.

But whaddya mean "only" pork and deer?  Pork is the magical ur-animal out of which almost all awesomeness (and especially BBQ awesomeness) is made: bacon, ham, sausage, pork shoulder, pulled pork, ribs, roast pork loin, pork cracklins... and if you're in a place where you can harvest your own venison, I'm actually kinda envious.  Bambi is delicious!  (And if you've got an older specimen?  Cube and simmer with spices for a few hours to make chili.  Or the same recipe with red wine with veggies for stew.  Bambiburgers!  The backstrap still makes a good steak no matter how old the deer.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/28/12 at 10:09 pm

The corn crop is toast this year, so yeah, it's not gonna be easy to get beef into the stores.  For a brief moment I thought we'd have a brief beef surplus (as herds got liquidated), and then I realized that even if that were the case, there's no way anybody could afford to fatten said beef on its way to liquidation. So yeah, get thee some beef while it's out there, it's gonna be a lean winter.

But whaddya mean "only" pork and deer?  Pork is the magical ur-animal out of which almost all awesomeness (and especially BBQ awesomeness) is made: bacon, ham, sausage, pork shoulder, pulled pork, ribs, roast pork loin, pork cracklins... and if you're in a place where you can harvest your own venison, I'm actually kinda envious.  Bambi is delicious!  (And if you've got an older specimen?  Cube and simmer with spices for a few hours to make chili.  Or the same recipe with red wine with veggies for stew.  Bambiburgers!  The backstrap still makes a good steak no matter how old the deer.)

What about corned beef?  It's gonna cost more than shark fin soup?
:o

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/28/12 at 10:55 pm

But whaddya mean "only" pork and deer?  Pork is the magical ur-animal out of which almost all awesomeness (and especially BBQ awesomeness) is made: bacon, ham, sausage, pork shoulder, pulled pork, ribs, roast pork loin, pork cracklins... and if you're in a place where you can harvest your own venison, I'm actually kinda envious.  Bambi is delicious!  (And if you've got an older specimen?  Cube and simmer with spices for a few hours to make chili.  YOr the same recipe with red wine with veggies for stew.  Bambiburgers!  The backstrap still makes a good steak no matter how old the deer.)
I say "only" strictly because I miss having the beef too!  I have been spoiled in the past to have it all.  I never bought a steak out, because we had them at home on a regular basis!  That is it and no more!  I am fortunate for what we have!!!

Thus last time we butchered our own hog.  I have learned how to spice up my own breakfast sausage and Italian (spicy and sweet) sausage!!!  But alas we do not have capabilities for curing a ham or bacon :(. But we have killer ribs with the bacon still on them!  Delish!!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/29/12 at 11:18 pm

I say "only" strictly because I miss having the beef too!  I have been spoiled in the past to have it all.  I never bought a steak out, because we had them at home on a regular basis!  That is it and no more!  I am fortunate for what we have!!!

Thus last time we butchered our own hog.  I have learned how to spice up my own breakfast sausage and Italian (spicy and sweet) sausage!!!  But alas we do not have capabilities for curing a ham or bacon :(. But we have killer ribs with the bacon still on them!  Delish!!!!!

You butcher your own?  When we had a little farm up in NH we raised some animals for meat, but we always sent them up to the slaughter house.  Actually, when I was seven our Angus bull managed to hang himself on a lead rope (long story), so the slaughter house boys came down to skin him and drain him that evening so the carcass wouldn't go bad.  They strung up Bobo by a winch right there in the barn.  I saw a good deal of the process and crossed "butcher" off my list of future occupations!  In the end, Bobo was very tasty though!

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/30/12 at 7:09 am

You butcher your own?  When we had a little farm up in NH we raised some animals for meat, but we always sent them up to the slaughter house.  Actually, when I was seven our Angus bull managed to hang himself on a lead rope (long story), so the slaughter house boys came down to skin him and drain him that evening so the carcass wouldn't go bad.  They strung up Bobo by a winch right there in the barn.  I saw a good deal of the process and crossed "butcher" off my list of future occupations!  In the end, Bobo was very tasty though!
Yep... Growing up in a hunting family (my dad went everywhere) I remember "processing the deer, elk, moose in our basement and always seeing it hang.  We save about $200+ processing a pig ourselves.  My husband will stick them before they leave the unit, the neighbor (also a taxodermist) has a large, walk-in cooler in which to leave them hang for 10 days (for those that do not know - to allow the muscle's to go through rigor mortis and then release.... tenderizing the meat).  We have a professional grinder, and lots of different knives.  So beyond our time, we are not really out anything. I know, my children know, where our food comes from and we are much more appreciative.  Better than already packaged "wal mart/costco/sam's steak that has been treated, tendorized and water added for color, texture, and perservability...  We know what goes into it. 

My father-in-law had a feedlot calf get down in the lot.  He asked if we wanted it.  The neighbor has it hanging in the cooler now.  It was a market ready animal) so it should provide a some beef for our freezers.  We will have a backyard "steak fest" the night of processing!

We are not professionals, but we learn something new all the time.

Written By: nally on 08/30/12 at 1:03 pm

We do mostly chicken and burgers, with a few porkchops (and sometimes steak), but one time we might've tried salmon on the barbecue.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/30/12 at 4:25 pm

Going to my second (and last ironically, since I love BBQ and grilled meat) cook-out of the summer on Sunday.  I don't know why we are never invited but finally made the invite list this time.  Just counting my blessings.  Gotta figure out something to bring as side-dish.  My cooking skills leave alot to be desired, mostly I make things from the freezer or microwave.  I'll probably just buy alot of dips and chips/crackers. 

Written By: snozberries on 08/30/12 at 5:04 pm

Going to my second (and last ironically, since I love BBQ and grilled meat) cook-out of the summer on Sunday.  I don't know why we are never invited but finally made the invite list this time.  Just counting my blessings.  Gotta figure out something to bring as side-dish.  My cooking skills leave alot to be desired, mostly I make things from the freezer or microwave.  I'll probably just buy alot of dips and chips/crackers.

I always offer to bring the soda  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/01/12 at 11:42 am

My cooking skills leave alot to be desired, mostly I make things from the freezer or microwave.

I can relate. But I have learned to cook a few things over the years.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/01/12 at 5:47 pm

I'll be smoking tomorrow. Tonight I'll be preparing the marinade for the ribs, the injection for the chops and the
rub for both the ribs and potatoes. My granddaughter will be helping me make the rubs and marinade, it should
be fun.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/12 at 11:57 pm

Yep... Growing up in a hunting family (my dad went everywhere) I remember "processing the deer, elk, moose in our basement and always seeing it hang.  We save about $200+ processing a pig ourselves.  My husband will stick them before they leave the unit, the neighbor (also a taxodermist) has a large, walk-in cooler in which to leave them hang for 10 days (for those that do not know - to allow the muscle's to go through rigor mortis and then release.... tenderizing the meat).  We have a professional grinder, and lots of different knives.  So beyond our time, we are not really out anything. I know, my children know, where our food comes from and we are much more appreciative.  Better than already packaged "wal mart/costco/sam's steak that has been treated, tendorized and water added for color, texture, and perservability...  We know what goes into it. 

My father-in-law had a feedlot calf get down in the lot.  He asked if we wanted it.  The neighbor has it hanging in the cooler now.  It was a market ready animal) so it should provide a some beef for our freezers.  We will have a backyard "steak fest" the night of processing!

We are not professionals, but we learn something new all the time.

It never bothered me to know the animals that gave us the meat.  A lot of people say they could never eat the meat if they knew the animal.  Well...our animals had a pretty good life compared to the poor critters on the factory farms!  Paul McCartney said he and Linda went vegetarian when they were dining on lamb chops and the lambs on the farm were grazing out in the field.  He said, "It just didn't seem fair."  Well, it's not fair, Paul, it's lunch!  We even had a Hereford steer named Arby!
;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/04/13 at 8:44 am

Reviving!  Because although it is 2 days past Labor Day, there is still plenty of prime grilling days left!!!!  And okay is one of them!

Soakin the hickory chips, and rubbed the slabs!!!  We are Smokin Baby Back Ribs today!!!! 

Can I hear a Hell Ya???

O0

8)

Written By: Howard on 09/04/13 at 7:37 pm

Reviving!  Because although it is 2 days past Labor Day, there is still plenty of prime grilling days left!!!!  And okay is one of them!

Soakin the hickory chips, and rubbed the slabs!!!  We are Smokin Baby Back Ribs today!!!! 

Can I hear a Hell Ya???

O0

8)

with bbq sauce on top?  :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/04/13 at 8:49 pm

with bbq sauce on top?  :)
Nope, i smoked them, and sauce on the side!  That way each person could use the one they like and as much or as little as they want! 

Written By: loki 13 on 09/04/13 at 9:49 pm

Nope, i smoked them, and sauce on the side!  That way each person could use the one they like and as much or as little as they want!

Now I'm feeling bad, I was supposed to smoke ribs and a pork loin Sunday past, but they called for rain so no smoking.
It never did rain Sunday.  >:(

Even though I make it I never use sauce on my ribs, just a rub, my own special blend. I haven't smoked much at all
this past summer, the last thing I smoked was a picnic and that was in June. This weekend I will do the ribs and loin
and before it gets to cold I will be doing my nemesis....The Brisket.

Written By: snozberries on 09/04/13 at 9:50 pm

O0

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/05/13 at 4:20 am

O0
and they are delicious!  Btw!!!

O0

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/05/13 at 11:54 pm

I will tell you.... Get your meat now because it is going to get pricey when the feed bills start going into the new crop!!!!

By the way, good call on that.  Locally, random supermarket steak "on sale" has gone from $8/lb for a porterhouse, to $8/lb for a boneless NY strip, to $8/lb for a bone-in NY strip.  Lamb has risen along with beef.  Strangely, pork has remained cheap.  You can still get a whole pork loin for $3/lb (on sale), which is basically the same as you'd pay for something like pork shoulder.  I guess that's the retail price floor for protein.  All tasty, it's just about the preparation...

Hell yeah.

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/08/13 at 7:21 am

By the way, good call on that.  Locally, random supermarket steak "on sale" has gone from $8/lb for a porterhouse, to $8/lb for a boneless NY strip, to $8/lb for a bone-in NY strip.  Lamb has risen along with beef.  Strangely, pork has remained cheap.  You can still get a whole pork loin for $3/lb (on sale), which is basically the same as you'd pay for something like pork shoulder.  I guess that's the retail price floor for protein.  All tasty, it's just about the preparation...

Hell yeah.
when 3 day old smoked ribs are just as good, if not better, than when they came off the grill, it's a good thing!!!  8)

You should be here!  Pork loin is 1.69/lb.  Pigs are some of the most efficient feed converters!!! Especially if you contain their high strung tendencies!!!

Written By: Howard on 07/04/14 at 6:18 pm

my friend barbecued hot dogs and hamburgers and they were delicious.  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/04/14 at 9:08 pm

I spent much of the day barbecuing. I had two smokers and a grill going, there was Beef Tenderloin, potatoes,
corn on the cob and a variety of grilled vegetables. I worked harder today than I do at my regular job. I will use
the rest of the weekend to recuperate even though, for some reason it feels like a Sunday!

Check for new replies or respond here...