inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite crazy food combinations that aren't so crazy to you.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/31/12 at 11:12 pm

So, one of my favorites, that we used to eat a lot as kids was tuna fish spaghetti. My mom would mix a can of tuna in with the spaghetti sauce, and pour it over the pasta...YUM!

Subject: Re: Favorite crazy food combinations that aren't so crazy to you.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/01/12 at 3:01 am

Cheddar Cheese on apple pie.  This is an old New England treat that seems to be dying and I don't know why.  You take a sliver of cheddar and put it between the crust and the apples, heat up the pie so the cheddar melts, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

Written By: meesa on 06/01/12 at 8:23 am

My G'Ma would make her tuna salad with tuna, cottage cheese, mayo and diced dill pickles. I make it that way to this day.

Pork and bean pizza-sounds gross I know. But it isn't. Take split english muffins, mix pizza sauce and pork and beans together, spread it on the muffin with moz or cheddar on top and bake. This was  part I-dare-you experiment and part we're-out-of-ramen-what-do-we-do crisis in college that we actually made again and again.

You can also make pork and bean bread. Tastes a lot like pumpkin bread.

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/12 at 9:40 am

Sprinkle some Cheetos, Christie Crackers (Nabisco for you Americans) or some Popcorn over Chef Boyardee or Heinz pasta.  Soooooo gooooood!

http://img2.shoptoit.ca/images/detail/82126000/82126090.jpg + http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2635/3885779620_383ccb9c4e.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/01/12 at 5:43 pm

Sprinkle some Cheetos, Christie Crackers (Nabisco for you Americans) or some Popcorn over Chef Boyardee or Heinz pasta.  Soooooo gooooood!

http://img2.shoptoit.ca/images/detail/82126000/82126090.jpg + http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2635/3885779620_383ccb9c4e.jpg

sounds tasty.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/02/12 at 8:46 am

When I was a kid we'd throw bread in the toaster and then butter it when it was dun, cut the slices in half, and then dunk them in our hot chocolate. It was even better when we used peanut butter.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/12 at 2:04 pm

I sometimes put hot sauce on my spaghetti and meatballs since there's already spaghetti sauce on it I figured I like to spice it up a bit.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/02/12 at 3:31 pm

Cheddar Cheese on apple pie.  This is an old New England treat that seems to be dying and I don't know why.  You take a sliver of cheddar and put it between the crust and the apples, heat up the pie so the cheddar melts, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So, I went to see Men In Black 3, and I didn't know it but K likes apple pie with cheddar cheese.  :)

Written By: basscatfrank on 06/02/12 at 7:14 pm

I slice up 5 or 6 hot dogs, brown them in a suacepan, and then add a large can of baked beans and a can of chunk pineapple. It's like a poor man's sweet and sour dish.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/02/12 at 10:01 pm

Two over easy eggs on top of french fries or the only way I'll eat mashed potatoes, as a potato cake.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/12 at 4:19 pm

Two over easy eggs on top of french fries or the only way I'll eat mashed potatoes, as a potato cake.

sounds pretty delicious.

Written By: amjikloviet on 06/03/12 at 6:55 pm

I do that with fried or baked plantains. It's really good.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/03/12 at 8:46 pm

There was a place back in Lincoln, NE called P.O. Pears that used to sell a "Jiffy Burger," which was a 1/4 lb hamburger with peanut butter spread on top. It was actually surprisingly good, but the downside was that the peanut butter became really gooey and runny from the hot hamburger patty and if you weren't careful it would goob out of the bun and onto your pants.  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/04/12 at 7:12 am

There was a place back in Lincoln, NE called P.O. Pears that used to sell a "Jiffy Burger," which was a 1/4 lb hamburger with peanut butter spread on top. It was actually surprisingly good, but the downside was that the peanut butter became really gooey and runny from the hot hamburger patty and if you weren't careful it would goob out of the bun and onto your pants.  :P

peanut butter on a hamburger sounds tasty could be better than putting ketchup on it.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/04/12 at 11:07 am

Put a slice of American Cheese inside your peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Soooo good.

Written By: amjikloviet on 06/04/12 at 11:16 am

Butter and Jam/jelly sandwiches are good.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/12 at 7:55 pm

Put a slice of American Cheese inside your peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Soooo good.

I might try that some time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/12 at 1:02 am

You guys are reminding me of a scene from "Fatso" with Dom DeLuise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar9HNDDcMgQ&feature=related

(In the movie, Dom's cousin dies of obesity, so he got scared and went on a crash diet.  His brother, Junior, chain locked the kitchen to keep Dom from snacking.  In this clip, Dom's weight loss support group come over for moral support...things don't go well!)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/05/12 at 2:18 am

When my first husband co-owned a pizza joint, they had an old menu from the previous owners.  It had something called Pieorgie Pizza.  Apparently, it's instant mashed potatoes prepared with onion and garlic salt, then spread onto a pizza crust and topped with cheese.  I've never tried it, but it has everything I like, so it might be alright.  Not particularily figure friendly, but... live dangerously.  :D

http://myfindsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/pizza.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/05/12 at 7:02 am

When my first husband co-owned a pizza joint, they had an old menu from the previous owners.  It had something called Pieorgie Pizza.  Apparently, it's instant mashed potatoes prepared with onion and garlic salt, then spread onto a pizza crust and topped with cheese.  I've never tried it, but it has everything I like, so it might be alright.  Not particularily figure friendly, but... live dangerously.  :D

Is it good?  ???

Written By: meesa on 06/05/12 at 1:52 pm

Popular locally (and I am sure in other parts of the world as well) putting peanuts into your soda. Yum!

Also, potato chips in your bologna sandwich. Crunchy!

:)

Written By: amjikloviet on 06/05/12 at 3:49 pm

Popular locally (and I am sure in other parts of the world as well) putting peanuts into your soda. Yum!

Peanuts, really? It sounds strange. Maybe I'll try it sometime :) Does it matter if they are salted or unsalted peanuts?

Written By: meesa on 06/05/12 at 4:21 pm

Peanuts, really? It sounds strange. Maybe I'll try it sometime :) Does it matter if they are salted or unsalted peanuts?

salted is much better!

Written By: Howard on 06/05/12 at 7:33 pm

peanuts in your soda? uh no thank you.  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/05/12 at 7:34 pm

salted is much better!

But maybe I'll give it a try, no harm in trying!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/05/12 at 8:05 pm

Is it good?  ???

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/05/12 at 8:37 pm

My dad is all about pork and bean sandwiches with potato chips inside the sandwich. 

I also like cold scrambled egg sandwiches with ketchup.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/12 at 11:25 pm

My dad is all about pork and bean sandwiches with potato chips inside the sandwich. 

Ketchup and anything! Ketchup is the food of the gods!

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/12 at 5:41 am

We always put potato chips on our tuna sandwich, I don't know if this is regional or not.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/12 at 7:22 am

Oh Wow I love scrambled eggs with ketchup on bread and turn it into a sandwich, delish!  :)

Written By: Howard on 06/06/12 at 7:24 am

Has anyone ever put pickles in their sandwich to give it that crunchy flavor?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/06/12 at 9:31 am

Definitely!  I love pickles!

I like to put spinach and olives on my sandwiches too.  Tasty, and good for you.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/12 at 10:08 am

We always put potato chips on our tuna sandwich, I don't know if this is regional or not.

My stepmother's meatloaf recipe called for a cornflakes on top.  It was pretty good, actually!

Written By: meesa on 06/06/12 at 11:16 am

My stepmother's meatloaf recipe called for a cornflakes on top.  It was pretty good, actually!

Cornflakes on or in darn near anything works!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/06/12 at 12:39 pm

Mom once made a recipe called "Hot Chicken Salad", I kinda remember Cream of Mushroom soup, celery, boneless chicken mixed together topped with crunched up potato chips.  I thought it was great, but dad didn't and that was the last time that that was made.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/12 at 1:59 pm

Definitely!  I love pickles!

I like to put spinach and olives on my sandwiches too.  Tasty, and good for you.

what about creamed spinach how about that on a sandwich? ???

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/06/12 at 5:27 pm

what about creamed spinach how about that on a sandwich? ???

No thanks...

I don't really believe in creamed vegetables.  Except for creamed peas and potatoes.  Red potatoes.  But that's different. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/06/12 at 5:28 pm

Mom once made a recipe called "Hot Chicken Salad", I kinda remember Cream of Mushroom soup, celery, boneless chicken mixed together topped with crunched up potato chips.  I thought it was great, but dad didn't and that was the last time that that was made.

I make something similar to that except I use cream of chicken soup and serve it over rice or potatoes.  Good stuff!!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/06/12 at 5:57 pm

Has anyone ever made/had lasagna with pulled pork and barbecue sauce? I've been wanting to try this for some time and was wondering if anyone else has attempted this.

Written By: meesa on 06/06/12 at 6:54 pm

Has anyone ever made/had lasagna with pulled pork and barbecue sauce? I've been wanting to try this for some time and was wondering if anyone else has attempted this.

Yes, and it is very good, if you like barbecue sauce. Rather than mozzarella cheese, however, use white cheddar or provolone . I also make a 'not-zanya' , grilled chicken and a white sauce.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/12 at 10:49 pm

OMG, that sounds soooooo good!!!

http://images.inmagine.com/img/imagezoo/izs018/izs018087.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/06/12 at 11:59 pm

No, but now I'm going to.

I've taken leftover (there's such a thing as leftover?) BBQ beef brisket and BBQ chicken and simmered it in tomato sauce.  Imparts a fantastic smoky flavor to the sauce.  The pulled pork was a dry rub, smoked over charcoal for several hours.  The chicken had been cooked in a similar manner, and had a nice pinkish smoke-ring on it.  Spectacular.

Next chance I get, I'm making a lasagna out of it.

The difference between chili made with ground beef and chili made with chunks of stewing beef/pork shoulder is like night and day.  I imagine the same would extend to lasagna, as long as you used several hours of BBQ to break down the toughness of the cheap cuts of meat before adding it to the lasagna.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/12 at 12:37 am

No, but now I'm going to.

I've taken leftover (there's such a thing as leftover?) BBQ beef brisket and BBQ chicken and simmered it in tomato sauce.  Imparts a fantastic smoky flavor to the sauce.  The pulled pork was a dry rub, smoked over charcoal for several hours.  The chicken had been cooked in a similar manner, and had a nice pinkish smoke-ring on it.  Spectacular.

Next chance I get, I'm making a lasagna out of it.

The difference between chili made with ground beef and chili made with chunks of stewing beef/pork shoulder is like night and day.  I imagine the same would extend to lasagna, as long as you used several hours of BBQ to break down the toughness of the cheap cuts of meat before adding it to the lasagna.

You're so lucky you can barbecue!  I don't really know how to do it, and where I live isn't conducive to it.  I'm hoping to get over to my brother's place in Upstate NY this month.  He knows how to barbecue New Orleans style.  They're inviting me to come visit after they get back from Cali this weekend.  I will strongly suggest a big barbecue!!!

Written By: Howard on 06/07/12 at 7:09 am

maple syrup to use as honey to pour on corn flakes, that's what I used to do.

Written By: Lindee on 06/07/12 at 10:02 am

When I was a kid I ate liver sausage and sweet pickle sandwiches.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/12 at 2:38 pm

Pierogie pizza is one of my favorites, it's AMAZING!! I like it topped with saurkraut....YUM!

Written By: Lindee on 06/07/12 at 5:01 pm

I love pierogis so I would try that.

Written By: Howard on 06/07/12 at 7:54 pm

When I was a kid I ate liver sausage and sweet pickle sandwiches.

EWW!  8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...