inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite foods in the U.S. you can't find outside the US

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/21/12 at 4:30 pm

Favourite foods in the U.S. and why they haven’t taken off around the world

Grits
Root Beer
Scrapple
Corn Bread
Fried Green Tomatoes

Most of these are things you can't even get out of the deep south... but Root Beer? really?  kind of weird.... and Corn Bread?  People don't know what they're missing.

Subject: Re: Favourite foods in the U.S. you can't find outside the US

Written By: meesa on 06/21/12 at 5:28 pm

Favourite foods in the U.S. and why they haven’t taken off around the world

Grits
Root Beer
Scrapple
Corn Bread
Fried Green Tomatoes

Most of these are things you can't even get out of the deep south... but Root Beer? really?  kind of weird.... and Corn Bread?  People don't know what they're missing.

No thanks on the scrapple  :P :P

But everything else? Love it.
No doubt there are foods beloved by people in other countries that you can't find here as well.

Written By: warped on 06/21/12 at 5:37 pm

I'm in Canada in the Toronto area.
Can't get Milky Way chocolate bars here. Can't find Cocoa Crispies cereal here. Cookie crips too. Can't get Baby Ruth chocolate bars here. Can't get several varieties of 'Pebbles" cereals too.

We have Count Chocula cereal, but not Frankenberry anymore.
If anyone in Canada have found these, it's certainly news to me.

There are other types of candy, chocolate and cereals found in America but not here, I just can't think of any others right now.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/21/12 at 6:04 pm

Grits: I've never had grits and I don't think I Ever will. It looks too much like oatmeal; I won't eat that either because it
        looks like mush....I don't eat mush. My wife, however , loves grits.

Root Beer: Along with birch beer, two of my favorite sodas.

Scrapple: I absolutely love scrapple. Scrapple and scrambled eggs with ketchup on a fresh long roll.

Corn Bread: I like corn bread, not gaga for it but I'll eat it and so will fish, it makes a real good bait.

Fried Green Tomatoes: Again I'll eat them but won't go out of my way to get them.

That goes for pickled tomatoes too, they just don't look right but once you the first one down they rest are
pretty darn good.

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/12 at 1:12 am

You can get Root Beer in Canada.  Barq's and Mug are all over the place, and the ever popular A&W Restaurants sell Root Beer. 

Everytime I go to A&W, they always ask me if I want a Root Beer with my combo

Written By: karen on 06/22/12 at 10:19 am

MacDonalds used to sell root beer in the UK.  Don't know if they still do

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/12 at 7:55 pm

MacDonalds used to sell root beer in the UK.  Don't know if they still do

I remember the Brits preferred ginger beer -- at room temperature!  I was like, what's the matter with this country, is the war still on?  I used to order lagers because I knew it wouldn't show up all icky tepid!
:D

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/22/12 at 10:11 pm

I remember the Brits preferred ginger beer -- at room temperature!  I was like, what's the matter with this country, is the war still on?  I used to order lagers because I knew it wouldn't show up all icky tepid!
:D

I love ginger beer, especially Barritt's from Bermuda... don't care for the Jamacian style which is all I can ever find in the US though.  Warm isn't as good as cold though.

Check for new replies or respond here...