inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do YOU Care Where Your Meat Is Sliced?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/11/12 at 8:51 pm

Hey Y'all!

Over and over, on TV, I keep seeing the Arby's commercial  that's talking about how they slice the turkey for thier sandwiches in store while other places get it shipped over from a factory.

http://www.babymed.com/sites/default/files/deli_meat1_0.JPG

To be honest, I prefer subway sandwiches over  Arby's, despite this fresh slicing method. I don't care where the meat it cut up as long as it's fresh and doesn't make me sick or anything.

I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks. Do you care?

Subject: Re: Do YOU Care Where Your Meat Is Sliced?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/12 at 10:51 pm

Nope, as long as it's fresh, pink, and moist.
8)

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/12/12 at 12:53 am

Hey Y'all!

Over and over, on TV, I keep seeing the Arby's commercial  that's talking about how they slice the turkey for thier sandwiches in store while other places get it shipped over from a factory.

To be honest, I prefer subway sandwiches over  Arby's, despite this fresh slicing method. I don't care where the meat it cut up as long as it's fresh and doesn't make me sick or anything.

I know what you mean, that new Arby's commercial bugs me. It's not like Subway at any time claimed that the deli meats were sliced right there at the store. Any one with half a brain thats been to a Subway KNOWS that the meats aren't being sliced in some back room at the shop anyway.

Fact is Subway's sandwiches, while no chef's masterpiece or gourmet food or any sort, is a good value for the $$. Arby's is not.
The cost of one foot long sub at Subway is less than the small to medium roast beef sandwich at Arby's. A Arby's roast beef sandwich meal with fries and a drink will run you $10, and you can get two $5 foot longs at Subway for that, more for your money.

Besides, it comes down to the quality of the meat that is sliced, not so much as how far away or where its sliced, and the Subway stuff is fine.
If anything, Arby's, with its recent indecent with a customer finding a finger in their sandwich, needs to play down their "sliced fresh" at the store ploy.

I mean, if they are going to have sloppy, untrained, teenaged employees slicing their fingers and showing up in their sandwiches, I'll pass and go to Subway ANY day.

Written By: snozberries on 10/12/12 at 8:54 am

The Arby's ad is a poke at Subway's "Eat Fresh" slogan.

Personally I don't eat turkey sandwiches so it doesn't matter to me where the meat is sliced.  What I want to know is where does Arby's cook the turkey they are slicing on site...l do they cook it? If so its fresh...if its delivered cooked then there's not much difference to me.

I didn't know abt the finger incident but i don't blame them. They shouldn't change a national campaign based on one isolated incident. In fact, in reading that article, I blame the manager of the restaurant for not stopping food prep as soon as the employee cut their finger

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/12/12 at 9:37 am

Every time I've eaten at Arby's, I have felt sick to my stomach after.  So I don't eat there anyway.

Snoz, why don't you eat turkey sandwiches?

Written By: Howard on 10/12/12 at 3:53 pm

Nope, as long as it's fresh, pink, and moist.
8)

and juicy and delicious.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 10/12/12 at 5:07 pm

Every time I've eaten at Arby's, I have felt sick to my stomach after.  So I don't eat there anyway.

Snoz, why don't you eat turkey sandwiches?

I'm not a real fan of sandwiches. I eat tri tip or Tuna.

Goes back to that whole I don't like a lot of flavored in one bite )that's why I compartmentalize my foods )eat one thing at a time). If I eat a deli meat type of sandwich it's basically just bread and meat. Maybe mayo or butter.  But nothing else so it's a waste of money to get a sandwich at a restaurant.

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/12/12 at 10:51 pm

I didn't know abt the finger incident but i don't blame them. They shouldn't change a national campaign based on one isolated incident. In fact, in reading that article, I blame the manager of the restaurant for not stopping food prep as soon as the employee cut their finger

I hear where you're coming from, but what I'm saying is, they need to remember the incident, and KNOW that people remember it, even though it was an isolated one and its not their fault directly.

Lets say this, if I'm driving into a strip mall and there is a Subway on my left and a Arby's at the other end. I'm going to look at the Arby's, then remember their "Sliced Fresh" ad campaign, then think of the sliced finger incident, then move right over to Subway.

Hey, I realize its not fair, but I've already seen the story about the finger, and I can't un-see it, and I AM going to think about it, rationalize that I can get a Subway foot long for $5 too and give my business elsewhere.

I read that article about 5 months ago, and, just by coincidence, haven't been to Arby's in about 5 months. The new ad campaign is NOT helping those of that read about the sliced finger incident or have grisly visions of how Arby's meat is sliced, processed or have qualms about an underpaid/under-trained teen in the back room that is doing the slicing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/12 at 10:59 pm

I hear where you're coming from, but what I'm saying is, they need to remember the incident, and KNOW that people remember it, even though it was an isolated one and its not their fault directly.

Lets say this, if I'm driving into a strip mall and there is a Subway on my left and a Arby's at the other end. I'm going to look at the Arby's, then remember their "Sliced Fresh" ad campaign, then think of the sliced finger incident, then move right over to Subway.

Hey, I realize its not fair, but I've already seen the story about the finger, and I can't un-see it, and I AM going to think about it, rationalize that I can get a Subway foot long for $5 too and give my business elsewhere.

I read that article about 5 months ago, and, just by coincidence, haven't been to Arby's in about 5 months. The new ad campaign is NOT helping those of that read about the sliced finger incident or have grisly visions of how Arby's meat is sliced, processed or have qualms about an underpaid/under-trained teen in the back room that is doing the slicing.

I hate Subway.  Subway is a pox everywhere.  Arby's was passable.  I wanted roast beef sandwich a while back and I remembed there was an Arby's at the Hampshire Mall.  I walked into the food court only to see a Subway there instead.
8-P

Written By: snozberries on 10/13/12 at 12:50 am

Funnily enough I drove by an Arby's today and, because this thread and that article put it fresh in my mind, I seriously contemplated stopping there.  The only reason I didn't. Is I've been trying to eat at local places while I'm in SD but I'm sure I'll have Arby's before the month is over.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/12 at 2:20 am

Avoid both at all costs, one of the advantages of living in foodie heaven.  If I buy a sandwich it is at a real deli, something we have in an abundance of in the Boston area.  You order the sandwich, they cut the meat.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/12 at 7:14 am

I hate Subway.  Subway is a pox everywhere.  Arby's was passable.  I wanted roast beef sandwich a while back and I remembed there was an Arby's at the Hampshire Mall.  I walked into the food court only to see a Subway there instead.
8-P

Why do you hate Subway?

Written By: snozberries on 10/13/12 at 10:27 am

Why do you hate Subway?

I'm max has some amazing answer i'm'a try anyway  :P

I know you weren't asking me, and I personally don't hate subway, but I also don't love it...

I think of subway as the fast food of a sandwich shop. If i want a burger & fries for little money ima go to McD, Bk, jib, etc... if i want a top quality burger that actually tastes amazing ima go to a restaurant.  If I want a quick cheap sandwich ima a go to subway. If I want a good sandwich ima do ehat Danoot does & go to a real deli and get better quality ingredients but pay twice as much for it.

In otherwords you get what you pay for. Most of the time ill settle for cheap but generally I want good quality and I'm willing to pay for it.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/13/12 at 7:06 pm

Arby's put me out with then years ago. There's one in the mall here, in the food court and like a fool, I ordered a roast beef sammie. 8 bucks and it was...just awful. I'm a Texan, the blood in my veins moos. I mean I love beef and I don't know what the hell that slop on a bun was.
In a pinch I go to Subway cause it's a short walk from the dialysis center and I eat there if I feel weakish after treatment.

The best place to me for a beef sammie is Jason's Deli. I'd sit on top of the building with a megaphone and scream for people to come in! LOL!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/14/12 at 12:56 am

Why do you hate Subway?

What they said.  I don't hate 'em.  It's decent fast food, but don't delude yourself into thinking it's a quality deli.

I don't know where you live.  I don't know what's good there.  I do know that for $5-10 for a sandvich, you can do a lot better than any chain restaurant.  Find your town's undiscovered little hole in the wall by punching in your location into something like urbanspoon.com or your local hipster equivalent.  Yes, hipsters suck, and foodies can be annoyingly snobby.  But if you can look past both of those, you can find yourself some good eats. 

Or ignore all that and just go for a walk downtown.  The best places to eat cost no more than your local fast food restaurant, look like they're covered in grime and roaches, and most the staff and customers barely speak English, but for some inexplicable reason, they're always busy at lunch hour and at dinner.  That's where you're gonna find the best food in town.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/12 at 11:39 pm

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.  I used to get Italian subs from a little Greek mom & pop joint in my town and they were great.  Just the right amount of cold cuts, just the right amount of mayo, just the right amount of peppers and oil.  The bread was fresh, like everything else, and had a crust and a texture. 

Then we were over in Lowell and we stopped over at the Subway.  I asked for an Italian sub.  I got a baloney sandwich on a giant hot dog roll.  I asked for oregano and the kid looked at me like I was from outer space, "Oregon what?"  So from then on I was like, "Subway sucks."  I'd still go there with my friends in Lowell, but I'd order a meatball sub.  It don't matter how bad they mess up a meatball sub, they're supposed to be kinda retarded.
:P

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/12 at 8:39 pm

"Knock its horns off, wipe its nasty ass, and chuck it right down on my plate"

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Woody-Harrelson-Will-Be-A-Father-Again-For-The-Third-Time-2.jpg

Written By: annimal on 03/12/19 at 10:36 pm

no

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 5:15 am

Does this include roadkill?

Written By: annimal on 03/13/19 at 10:38 am

one day, I found my fill on Newberry Hill

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 10:39 am

Hey Y'all!

Where?

Arkansas or Arizona?  ;D

Written By: metronomics on 03/21/19 at 1:17 pm

For sliced roast beef the ONLY winner in fast food land is:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d5/ef/c2/d5efc2ab2613487fd314145980510b3c--roast-beef-fast-food.jpg

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/rr8du7dt9udvvl.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...