inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Quick/Easy Breakfast Ideas?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/01/12 at 7:52 pm

Hey Y'all!

Three mornings out of the week, I go to Dunkin Donuts and have breakfast. Lately, I've been trying to cut down on going there to save money.
Now the three mornings I go to DD, I get a bagel sandwhich with sausage or ham, with fried eggs and cheese and a large sweet tea. (I started making coffe at home, since tea is cheaper from DD)

But I was wondering, are there any kinds of foods I could cook that would be filling enough to last me through dialysis, so I wouldn't have to be hungry in the place.
I take an hour in the morning 8:30-9:30 or so and spend 3 hours in dialysis. So I need something that can at least last me until 1 or 2 pm, in the afternoon.

Please help.

Thank you.

Subject: Re: Quick/Easy Breakfast Ideas?

Written By: snozberries on 11/01/12 at 9:00 pm

peanut butter on toast? Peanut butter is filling and toast is quick

oatmeal? Quick oats can be made fast

dense cereal like shredded wheat?

eggos?

McD's dollar menu?  It's cheap so you'd save some money...  ;D

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/01/12 at 9:29 pm

Ham and cheese in pita bread. It's quick and in addition is loaded with protein.  :)

Written By: nally on 11/02/12 at 10:54 am

There's this "breakfast casserole" which my mom likes to make; we use eggs, hash browns, veggies, cheese, other items we have on hand. It's got lots of nutrients, including protein, and it doesn't take too long to cook in the oven.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/02/12 at 11:40 am

Going to Dunkin' Donuts!  You are eating the worst possible food in the world, dumpster diving would get you a better meal.  Snoz has it right with the peanut butter(reminds me I have to pick some up).  High protein fills you and keeps you full.  Peanut butter, yoqurt, chicken salad, stuff like that.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/02/12 at 12:08 pm

I eat two boiled eggs for breakfast every morning.  I have to be to work by 8, and don't have lunch until 1, and they keep me full.  My doctor has highly reccommended them to me for breakfast or a snack because they are lean protein.  One factor though, is that my cholesterol is "normal" but if a patient had elevated levels, I don't know if she would reccommend them or not. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/02/12 at 12:42 pm

I was thinking it might be helpful to know what your dietary restrictions are... my dad does dialysis, he has diabetes, bad kidneys, cancer and heart problems so there are only a few foods that he can eat because practically everything is on one no-no list or another...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/12 at 1:37 pm

Cheerios with a banana.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 11/02/12 at 1:45 pm

Cheerios with a banana.

Cat

peanut butter on banana  :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/02/12 at 2:02 pm

peanut butter on banana  :)

Toast with peanut butter and sliced banana on top.  ;)

Written By: meesa on 11/02/12 at 2:04 pm

If you like cereal: Mix equal parts cheerios and raisin bran for a bowl of cereal. This gives you two kinds of fiber; it fills you up and keeps the mail moving.  ;D

Sometimes it is good to mix yogurt, granola and sliced bananas for a parfait-style breakfast.

Written By: snozberries on 11/02/12 at 2:46 pm

Toast with peanut butter and sliced banana on top.  ;)

the breakfast of kings....well the breakfast of THE KING. ..    http://images.zaazu.com/img/Elvis-elvis-cool-hair-smiley-emoticon-000203-facebook.gif

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/02/12 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for all the input guys.

I noticed someone mentioned my dietary restrictions, and they are absolutely harrowing. If I DID really follow everything I was supposed to do, I literally could not eat practically anything.

Some of the things I remember I can't have, is things like sausage and hot dogs, potatoes, biscuits/pancakes/waffles from boxed mix like bisquick, oatmeal, bananas peanut butter, pizza. I can't have orange juice,

There are literally so many things that are high in phosphrus and potassium and those, if too much is ingested, could give me a heart attack.
Things like bacon and ham are bad because I have high blood pressure.
(Hearing all this makes you think I'm much older than 26. It seems like an older person's problems...)
And I only go to DD on dialysis days because I'm on the machine as I'm eating so the bad things go away, are filtered out.
I'm just trying to save money because the holidays are coming, and frankly, I hate them because they are not an enjoyable time to me. It's one gigantic hassle.
And I only eat breakfast on dialysis days. I generally sleep through breakfast "time" the other four days of the week and don't usually eat until about 4 pm. (I'm up before then, I just am not hungry before then).

And for going to dialysis without strangling one of the nurses for hurting my arm, I usually give my gift each month.
Last month, I went to a Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein double feature, this month I'm buying a coffee table book by Michael Jackson's clothier. I'd like to spend the money I save from making my own meal on myself. LOL

Thanks. I'll try to figure something out to eat for dialysis.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...