inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Food was better during the 1980s!

Written By: The Valley Goth on 11/03/12 at 6:53 pm

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

I was born during the last year of the 1970s, so I was able to enjoy tons of delish 1980s foods when I was still rather young!  I can remember a few foods, food qualities, etc., that seemed to be available only during the 1980s through the mid-1990s, including:

* Flavored rice(?) cracker snacks (I can't remember the name of them): My parents loved camping, and I didn't like it at first, but every camping trip was made more enjoyable by the addition of these cool snacks!  They were sort of like oversized crackers (Think the size of a rice cake, but not a rice cake...).  They were square in shape, and they came in cool flavors, like Cinnamon and Jalapeno Cheese; they were packaged in these clear, tall bags, just as rice cakes were always packaged!  Those two flavors were my favorites, and I was sooo bummed when the crackers were no longer sold.  These crackers featured a texture that was sort of like that of a cheese puff, but they were slightly more solid than cheese puffs, and they were oh, so flavorful.

* Hot dogs: They always tasted really, really good, in a way that they don't taste today!

* Balogna: I began college during 1997, and during my college years, I began avoiding balogna, because it was tasting more gritty and icky, and it had always tasted super before that!

* Jeans Candy: My grandma once took me to a shopping mall during the 1980s, and while we were there, I insisted upon visiting the candy store, because I was insane for candy!  Well, when she asked me which kind of candy I wanted, I chose the most unusual container of candy that I've ever enjoyed in all my life!  I wish that I still had the little plastic container, because it was shaped like the upper part of a pair of designer blue jeans!  It was a medium shade of bright blue, and I think that one leg was posed in an extended position, but remember that only the waist, the hips, the rear, and the thighs comprised the candy container...The entire presentation was rather interesting, indeed, and I had unusual tastes for a kid, so, naturally, THAT was the container of candy that I wanted.  I wish that I could remember which type of candy was inside of the container.  I should search for that candy container on eBay, or something...

* Lollipops at the doctor's office: Remember the days during which a kid could get a lollipop after a Pediatric appointment?  I remember those days, and the sugar-free lollipops that accompanied them!
8)

Subject: Re: Food was better during the 1980s!

Written By: belmont22 on 11/06/12 at 6:44 am

Does anyone remember Kudos chocolate bars? My mother loved those, apparently they still sell them but I haven't eaten one in many years. Introduced in 1986.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/06/12 at 8:29 am

It could be that your tastes have changed, that happens when you grow older....trust me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/12 at 9:33 pm

It could be that your tastes have changed, that happens when you grow older....trust me.

I swear on my life McDonald's was tastier thirty years ago.  When did they stop using lard?
???

Written By: warped on 11/07/12 at 7:46 am

I swear on my life McDonald's was tastier thirty years ago.  When did they stop using lard?
???

"lard" is what made the special sauce on the Big Mac "special"  :o

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/07/12 at 9:25 am

Agree

Written By: Step-chan on 11/07/12 at 5:24 pm

Cadbury eggs were bigger as well.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/08/12 at 9:35 pm

Cadbury eggs were bigger as well.

Are sure that's not just because you were a little kid back in the 80's and thus your mouth and hands were smaller?  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 11/09/12 at 12:19 am

Some dude actually showed an older Cadbury egg he kept and compared it to the ones they make now.

They did start making them smaller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhtGOBt1V2g

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/11/12 at 1:02 pm

I know I ate Hamburger Helper all the time as a child. It was so simple for my working mom to make. (In the 80s she was a cook at the local country club.)  :) And I won't touch it now. but I ate it like it was going out of style like the first 7 years of my life. (86-93)
I ate alot of stuff that was great. Candies, M&Ms, Snickers. And I drank alot of Pepsi in my years priro tp bei ng an MJ fan. I even remember the old packaging the foods had.
I always wish I could go back. LOL. Things were simpler and my biggest concern was now brushing Barbie's hair so hard her head would come off.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/27/12 at 12:48 pm

I know a co-worker who didn't know that chocolate covered Paydays weren't a new thing.

I pointed out that they had them when I was a kid, she was surprised to find out that was I older than I look.

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/12 at 7:17 pm

???

The Big Mac I ate a few days ago tasted like it was made in the 80s

Written By: Dagwood on 11/27/12 at 8:11 pm

The Big Mac I ate a few days ago tasted like it was made in the 80s

It probably was :D

Written By: The Valley Goth on 12/19/12 at 10:21 pm

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

Like, EW, I'm SHURR!
;D ;D ;D

Speaking of gross, though, I once ate some undercooked Chicken McNuggets as a child (I think that that was during the 1990s, though), and, right after that, Chicken McNuggets went from being my favorite McDonald's dish to being my LEAST favorite!  I may have had them once or twice since then, but, these days, I'll eat nothing except a Cheeseburger meal or a Fillet of Fish meal!
8)

It probably was :D

Written By: belmont22 on 12/20/12 at 4:28 pm

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

Like, EW, I'm SHURR!
;D ;D ;D

On the west coast we still talk like that!  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/12 at 11:35 pm

I seem to recall in the 1980s the American food supply (and by that I mean Twinkies) was less saturated high fructose corn syrup.  The stuff gives everything a kind dull, heavy sweet overpowering more delicate flavors such as lemon-lime or chocolate.  There was more than plenty of that in the eighties, but it wasn't such a universal generic aftertaste) that it is now.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/23/12 at 12:36 am

Yeah, I could never really understand the appeal of corn syrup(other than it being cheaper).

I had used it before in my sweet potato recipe, but decided to drop it off the ingredient list and just use more brown sugar(it's much better in balanced taste).

Written By: Howard on 12/23/12 at 7:42 pm

I seem to recall in the 1980s the American food supply (and by that I mean Twinkies) was less saturated high fructose corn syrup.  The stuff gives everything a kind dull, heavy sweet overpowering more delicate flavors such as lemon-lime or chocolate.  There was more than plenty of that in the eighties, but it wasn't such a universal generic aftertaste) that it is now.

almost everything back then was filled sugar and fructose.

Check for new replies or respond here...