inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: P.F. Chang's - China Bistro

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/16/13 at 11:54 am

Has anyone here been to this restaurant called P.F. Chang's? I have never been there but have received various menus in the mail throughout the week. I'm guessing it is mainly a Chinese food restaurant, but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if it is a fancy/formal place to dine or if it is more casual? Is it a buffet type restaurant? I know I could probably just walk in and ask or see for myself, but it is much more fun this way! 

Subject: Re: P.F. Chang's - China Bistro

Written By: snozberries on 02/16/13 at 5:29 pm

Has anyone here been to this restaurant called P.F. Chang's? I have never been there but have received various menus in the mail throughout the week. I'm guessing it is mainly a Chinese food restaurant, but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if it is a fancy/formal place to dine or if it is more casual? Is it a buffet type restaurant? I know I could probably just walk in and ask or see for myself, but it is much more fun this way!

It's excellent... casually, fine dining... lol.... it's like the Outback or Black Angus of Chinese restaurants. Its not super fancy but it's way more upscale than Panda Express!

last time I was there I had the black and white calamari (or was it shrimp?)  anyway it's a breaded - one of those proteins with black pepper and salt...EXCELLENT!!!! The dumplings are great... they make the best brown rice i've ever had (but their white rice is good too)  look at spending about $20 a person without appetizers... my friend and I did the meal for two for $40 that came with 1 appetizer, several entree options and 2 desserts....it was plenty of food.

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/16/13 at 6:13 pm

It's excellent... casually, fine dining... lol.... it's like the Outback or Black Angus of Chinese restaurants. Its not super fancy but it's way more upscale than Panda Express!

last time I was there I had the black and white calamari (or was it shrimp?)  anyway it's a breaded - one of those proteins with black pepper and salt...EXCELLENT!!!! The dumplings are great... they make the best brown rice i've ever had (but their white rice is good too)  look at spending about $20 a person without appetizers... my friend and I did the meal for two for $40 that came with 1 appetizer, several entree options and 2 desserts....it was plenty of food.

More upscale sounds good. Probably means the quality of the food is really good too. Now I want to go myself, lol. Thanks!

Written By: Howard on 02/16/13 at 7:26 pm

Our family has P.F. Chang's from the supermarket all the time but we try not to get the spicy stuff, we have the easy stuff, the dishes that won't burn our insides.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2012/03/06/pf-changs_custom-b8bbd915fb968472fbd046ca41ba9a8306156bd0-s6-c10.jpg

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/16/13 at 9:25 pm

Our family has P.F. Chang's from the supermarket all the time but we try not to get the spicy stuff, we have the easy stuff, the dishes that won't burn our insides.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2012/03/06/pf-changs_custom-b8bbd915fb968472fbd046ca41ba9a8306156bd0-s6-c10.jpg

I haven't even seen those at our supermarkets yet. I will have to look just to be sure. I wonder if it is the same variety of dishes served at the restaurant?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/17/13 at 2:28 am

I haven't even seen those at our supermarkets yet. I will have to look just to be sure. I wonder if it is the same variety of dishes served at the restaurant?

Look in the frozen foods section/frozen prepared meals (not t.v. dinners).  I don't know if you have a Wal-Mart that has a grocery section near you...but they carry this brand... but I have yet to try them myself.

As far as the actual restaurant goes... I've never been to one.  You might want to check out online reviews on yelp.com or urbanspoon.com.  You can also just google the website of the restaurant chain and check out their menu online.

It always seems to be busy the two that I have passed by in the two fairly large cities that I've lived in.  So they must be ok.  Some franchises are better then others (as I understand).

Written By: Howard on 02/17/13 at 7:20 am

It's the same but smaller portions. They're $11.99 over at Pathmark.

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/17/13 at 7:46 am

Look in the frozen foods section/frozen prepared meals (not t.v. dinners).  I don't know if you have a Wal-Mart that has a grocery section near you...but they carry this brand... but I have yet to try them myself.

That's probably why, I didn't know it was a frozen food. I thought it was like Hamburger Helper lol.

It's the same but smaller portions. They're $11.99 over at Pathmark.

That's kind of expensive for a frozen meal. But that's a good thing. It must mean it is really good.

Written By: snozberries on 02/17/13 at 11:35 am

Same dishes but no way a frozen meal can capture the essence of one served hot and fresh minutes after it was made.

Written By: snozberries on 02/17/13 at 11:37 am

That's probably why, I didn't know it was a frozen food. I thought it was like Hamburger Helper lol.

That's kind of expensive for a frozen meal. But that's a good thing. It must mean it is really good.

Go to the restaurant first. I'd hate for you to judge them based on a frozen meal that may/may not be as good as the real deal.

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/17/13 at 12:10 pm

Go to the restaurant first. I'd hate for you to judge them based on a frozen meal that may/may not be as good as the real deal.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing :) I will definitely try the restaurant first!

Written By: Howard on 02/17/13 at 1:05 pm

What you're paying for is the name PF Chang, that's why it's so expensive.

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/17/13 at 2:53 pm

What you're paying for is the name PF Chang, that's why it's so expensive.

Hehe. That's true.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/17/13 at 4:53 pm

I don't know how much they are in my Wal-Mart.  I think less then $10 - but it's meant for two people (or at least two servings...however big those are.)  I'm sure they are not as good as freshly made at the restaurant...but not bad for frozen. 

You could also look up recipes online for P.F. Chang recipes.  Here's one with a link to more.  http://www.food.com/recipe/p-f-changs-mongolian-beef-66121

I love the atmosphere of Chinese/Japanese restaurants so I like actually going to eat.  (Well that and I really don't like to cook very much so I'd prefer to eat out more then eat in.  ;D )

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/18/13 at 7:37 pm

I don't know how much they are in my Wal-Mart.  I think less then $10 - but it's meant for two people (or at least two servings...however big those are.)  I'm sure they are not as good as freshly made at the restaurant...but not bad for frozen. 

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, lol. There's no way something frozen is going to taste as good as something freshly made.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/13 at 7:52 pm

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, lol. There's no way something frozen is going to taste as good as something freshly made.

but if you'd like to add soy sauce, it'd taste like the real thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...