inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ethnic foods most anyone can make

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/01/13 at 9:53 pm

Lets cook.

One of my favorite recipes is coconut shrimp.  Quick and easy.  Use either frozen raw or cooked shrimp (or fresh if you can get it).  Warm (or cook) enough for your crowd in a pot, wok, or frying pan with a can of cream of coconut (Coco Lopez is a popular brand). Add a bit of cilantro if you like, or other suitable spices.  Add some corn starch mixed in water to thicken if necessary.  Serve over rice.

This could by Thai, or Latino, or Hawaiian depending on the spices you add to the basic recipe. 

Next time I do it I'm going to use a sweet chile sauce

Use your imagination and knock yourself out     

Subject: Re: Ethnic foods most anyone can make

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/13 at 12:56 am

Pop Corn.  It's a Native American dish!
;)

Written By: Howard on 03/02/13 at 6:51 am

Pop Corn.  It's a Native American dish!
;)

But that's not Ethnic.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/13 at 7:11 am

But that's not Ethnic.

Actually, it is-because, as Max said, it is a Native American dish.

I like to think of myself as a GREAT popcorn maker. I make it on the stove-not with a maker of any kind-just a pot with a lid. There had been a couple of times when I made it and EVERY SINGLE KERNEL POPPED!!!!!  :o :o :o :o  What are the odds of THAT happening? And I have done it a few times.

Cat

Written By: Red Ant on 03/02/13 at 9:50 pm

I dont know how authentic or ethnic this recipe is, but seeing as there arent a lot of replies here, and it's a great recipe, one I made myself, here ya go:

Killer Nachos Recipe (serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 for dinner). This is my own recipe, not copied from anywhere:

1/4 lb hamburger meat (80/20 or better)
3-4 sausage links, casings removed
1/2 packet taco seasoning
4oz Your favorite cheese (4 cheese blend works well here as a default)
4oz Mozarella Cheese
1/2 can of refried beans or chili beans (I prefer the latter)
1 very ripe tomato
1/4 head of lettuce
1/4 White Onion*
Several oz sour cream and medium salsa (hot or mild substituted for taste, I prefer hot)
Several sprigs of cilantro
Several stalks green onion
1 Bag of heavy duty dipping chips (fried tortilla the best)

Remove hamburger from packaging. Remove casings from sausage. Mix hamburger and sausage well, by hand. Add into pan on medium high heat. While that is browning, chop lettuce, onions and cilatro finely, rougher chop on tomato. Set those ingredients aside.

When taco meat has browned, add in seasoning that has been mixed with half a cup of water. Reduce until water is gone, turn heat off. Add taco meat to bottom of a ~9" glass bowl with shallow sides. Microwave refried beans or chili beans for 1 min, add onto meat. Sprinkle cheese on top of meat, microwave the whole thing 30-60 seconds or until cheese has melted. Add finely chopped lettuce and tomato, white onion, sour cream in dollops, salsa covering what the sour cream missed, then add in green onion and cilantro on top of all. Serve while hot with chips on the side. Serves 4-6 easily as an appetizer, or 2 as a meal.

*for a sweeter dish, cook 3x that amount onion until they have caramelized and add into meat before adding seasoning.

Killer Nachos go great with a Lime-A-Rita (24oz) from Budweiser (I dont usually endorse specific brands, but this sheesh is good!)

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/03/13 at 11:47 am

I dont know how authentic or ethnic this recipe is, but seeing as there arent a lot of replies here, and it's a great recipe, one I made myself, here ya go:

Killer Nachos Recipe (serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 for dinner). This is my own recipe, not copied from anywhere:

1/4 lb hamburger meat (80/20 or better)
3-4 sausage links, casings removed
1/2 packet taco seasoning
4oz Your favorite cheese (4 cheese blend works well here as a default)
4oz Mozarella Cheese
1/2 can of refried beans or chili beans (I prefer the latter)
1 very ripe tomato
1/4 head of lettuce
1/4 White Onion*
Several oz sour cream and medium salsa (hot or mild substituted for taste, I prefer hot)
Several sprigs of cilantro
Several stalks green onion
1 Bag of heavy duty dipping chips (fried tortilla the best)

Remove hamburger from packaging. Remove casings from sausage. Mix hamburger and sausage well, by hand. Add into pan on medium high heat. While that is browning, chop lettuce, onions and cilatro finely, rougher chop on tomato. Set those ingredients aside.

When taco meat has browned, add in seasoning that has been mixed with half a cup of water. Reduce until water is gone, turn heat off. Add taco meat to bottom of a ~9" glass bowl with shallow sides. Microwave refried beans or chili beans for 1 min, add onto meat. Sprinkle cheese on top of meat, microwave the whole thing 30-60 seconds or until cheese has melted. Add finely chopped lettuce and tomato, white onion, sour cream in dollops, salsa covering what the sour cream missed, then add in green onion and cilantro on top of all. Serve while hot with chips on the side. Serves 4-6 easily as an appetizer, or 2 as a meal.

*for a sweeter dish, cook 3x that amount onion until they have caramelized and add into meat before adding seasoning.

Killer Nachos go great with a Lime-A-Rita (24oz) from Budweiser (I dont usually endorse specific brands, but this sheesh is good!)

Sounds good, thanks

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/03/13 at 8:43 pm

Not food, but its easy to make interesting "beverages" out of cheap vodka.  Use the strong stuff, 100 proof, for fruit.  Apples, cut up with the cores and pit, a few cinnamon sticks (not powder) a few whole cloves, soak in a quart jar for 2-3 weeks.  Cherries are also good.  Cut them in half and use the pits (they add tannins).  Use 86 proof with coffee and corn syrup for a kalua taste.  Cut up lemons and corn syrup is also good, especially served cold.  For Drambuie use cheap scotch and mix with honey.  You can make infusions like this with lots of stuff.  The trick is to be aware of how much alcohol will be absorbed by the flavoring

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/11/13 at 9:54 pm

here's an oldie but goodie, fried rice, a generic do it yourself dish, great way to get rid of leftovers and a great 1 pot meal

Cooked rice, as much as you want
Soy sauce
Salted black beans if you can get them
2,3,4 scrambled eggs
finely chopped onions
whatever else you want to throw in left over pork, vegies etc - finely chopped
oil, enough to cook everything

Heat oil in wok or deep pot, add onion and saute until translucent
Add black beans and stir
Add other "throw ins"
Add eggs
Add rice, stir vigorously until all is well mixed
add soy sauce and continue to stir until all is well mixed and hot

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/12/13 at 9:12 pm

Puerto Rican surrujitos

Cook corn meal in water to make a thick paste, stir in half as much shredded cheese as you used corn meal while still hot (cheddar is really good) until it is well mixed. Roll into 2 inch long little "cigars" and deep fry until golden brown.  The traditional dip is half mayo and half ketchup stirred together.  A great appetizer

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/13/13 at 9:38 pm

Plantain lasagna or "Pastelon" in spanish.

1 lb of lean ground beef
Mince 3 cloves of garlic, dice 1 onion, 1 green pepper, and 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
Toss it all into the bowl with the ground beef
Add 2 tsp of Adobo, 2 tsp of oregano, 2 tbs of vinegar and 1 envelope of Sazon
Mix it all together
Heat a heavy skillet at a medium high heat with 2 tbs of olive oil
Toss in the beef mixture
Let it simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
Get 4 ripe plantains and peel them.
Slice them into long strips
Heat a large skillet with vegetable oil, fry the plantains till they are golden and just a little crispy.
Take a square pan and butter it up
Layer it with plantains first, then toss some ground beef over the plantains
Then a fist full of about 1 cup of white cheese
Repeat the process, you want to finish with cheese and plantains on top.
Finally, bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/17/13 at 10:05 am

Yes, pastellon is very good.  Its one of those dishes that is easily modified to taste

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/21/13 at 10:23 am

Here's one from the old south (1700's)

Spoon Bread

1 cup each corn and wheat flour
2 cups water
1 stick butter
2 cups milk*
3 eggs

Melt butter in water
stir into flour
add eggs
add milk
blend until smooth
bake at 400 for 30 min in greased baking dish

*I usually substitute apple sauce and maple syrup for 1 cup milk.  Also add cinnamon powder, nutmeg, ground cloves, and allspice.  Makes a yummy desert

Check for new replies or respond here...