inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Organic food. Your thoughts.

Written By: Katluver on 04/18/13 at 7:53 pm

Personally, I like to try to buy organic food, but I often find the prices to be outrageous.

Today I was going to buy a container (just a standard size) of organic strawberries until I saw that the price tag was $8!!!  :o  I don't think so!

Basically, I'll just buy organic only if it's on sale. They say organic is healthier but I don't believe that non-organic food is full of carcinogens. Heck, imagine going to a restaurant and always asking if the dish is made from organic ingredients?!  :D

Subject: Re: Organic food. Your thoughts.

Written By: amjikloviet on 04/18/13 at 8:35 pm

The only thing organic I have ever eaten is cereal. I never have organic foods but I would like to have more of it in my diet.  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/18/13 at 11:03 pm

Tastier?  Yes, sometimes it is.  But it's no more nutritious than conventionally-produced equivalent.  (original paper)

Nutrition-wise, it's basically a marketing term, and people have begun to catch on that it's often just an excuse to charge more.

As a foodie, I will say that organic produce is often tastier - and occasionally much tastier - than its mass market counterpart.  I've had strawberries for which I'd have paid $8, or even $18.  It was a few years ago, and they were that freaking good.  I've never had their like again, even from the same farm.  I've also had organic strawberries where I couldn't tell the difference between them and their cheapest counterparts.

If you eat for nutrition, go with the cheapest fresh produce and meats you can find.

If you eat for flavor and are on a budget, use the mass market stuff as your baseline, and then hit the local farmer's market to see if you can find better, and if better's worth the price.  When you find a producer you like, buy from him or her, but never stop exploring.  The farmer with the best strawberries on the planet at $5 might be ten feet away from the one who charges $8 for strawberries that are merely good.  Next year, the rankings might be reversed; maybe the $8 guy's farm gets better weather next year.

Written By: warped on 04/19/13 at 7:33 am

I only eat organic food when it's on sale, and it has to be a huge sale because it's wayyyyy overpriced. The average person can't afford it.

Written By: Lindee on 04/19/13 at 10:04 am

I guess I can say I've eaten organic food when my parents had a huge garden back in the 70s/80s. Also when DH and I go to a farmer's market and buy some fruits & vegetables. Otherwise I don't buy them in a store; too pricey.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/13 at 12:05 am

It will make you live longer with little to live for!
;D

Written By: Dude111 on 12/09/17 at 6:02 pm

Basically, I'll just buy organic only if it's on sale. They say organic is healthier....

Indeed it is....... GMO food is bad for you....... It cant be digested properly and usually sits in your stomach for days before its finally kicked out...... It can cause stomach problems,digestion issues,etc.........

I thankfully have a WHOLE FOODS store near me and I only buy stuff from there..... It does cost more sadly but it IS better for you.... Im grateful i found a place I can buy stuff I like........

www.elitedaily.com/life/gmos-are-killing-us

ITS GARBAGE AND VERY HARD AVOIDING NOW!!!

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/10/17 at 4:02 am

I can't afford it. I go to a health food store once in a while for certain vitamins or their handmade soap and that's it. If I want fresh food I just get the regular produce from the grocery store. Rinse it off with water before putting it in the fridge and it should be alright.

I have tried vegan drinks and didn't care for them. Maybe just that brand specifically, which I can't recall now, but it was bottled coffee drinks and if you didn't shake them up like crazy they had a sludge in the bottom that gave me a nasty surprise. Plus the chai one was too spice heavy.

Kombucha depending on the one I will drink sometimes, though it is an acquired taste.

Evol has tasty microwave dinners, but again, expensive.

Written By: Dude111 on 12/10/17 at 10:52 am

I can't afford it.

I know its unfair,they shouldnt charge so much!!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...