inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you call soft drinks?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/13 at 11:46 pm

I always called it soda, but a lot of native Bostonians call it tonic.  My brother-in-law from Michigan called it pop, so did my friends from Canada.  I've heard Coke is a general name for soft drinks in the Southeastern U.S.  Makes sense.  The Coca-Cola company is based in Atlanta.  I've heard Californians say soda as well.  I tried to use the name "soft drinks" because I liked the way it sounded, but people looked at my peculiarly, so I went back to calling it soda, or soda-pop.

The carbonated water I drink all the time I call seltzer.  Other people call it fizzy water.  I'm specific about seltzer because I prefer it to club soda or tonic water.  Perrier and Pellegrino are out of my price range for the volume a drink!

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/soft.jpg

Subject: Re: What do you call soft drinks?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/22/13 at 1:26 am

yeah, we say "soda" here in California. Whenever we go to fast food place we order the food and when we order drink size because it's self serve, we say "and I'll have a small/medium/large soda". I think many here called the clear stuff "sparkling water" I love them, especially Pellegrino but I only get it when we eat out at an Italian restaurant

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/22/13 at 3:08 am

I always called it soda, but a lot of native Bostonians call it tonic.  My brother-in-law from Michigan called it pop, so did my friends from Canada.  I've heard Coke is a general name for soft drinks in the Southeastern U.S.  Makes sense.  The Coca-Cola company is based in Atlanta.  I've heard Californians say soda as well.  I tried to use the name "soft drinks" because I liked the way it sounded, but people looked at my peculiarly, so I went back to calling it soda, or soda-pop.

The carbonated water I drink all the time I call seltzer.  Other people call it fizzy water.  I'm specific about seltzer because I prefer it to club soda or tonic water.  Perrier and Pellegrino are out of my price range for the volume a drink!

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/soft.jpg

So... you called it "soft drink" or "tonic".  One of those green counties, huh?  (At least y'all didn't say yinz)

2003:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/2008/9/9/12/fed89893adb335fc50ff8308455468b7.jpg

2013:

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/51af5dc7eab8ea1418000015-1200/everyone-knows-that-the-midwest-calls-it-pop-the-northeast-and-west-coast-call-it-soda-while-the-south-is-really-into-brand-loyalty.jpg

(I really wish the data that made the 2013 map were represented county-by-county, because the "other" regions get completely swamped out when the data is averaged out.)

Slowly the forces of the soda regions migrate to other regions, and expand their control.  It took ten years of Californian outmigration, but Utah and all but the most rural parts of Oregon have fallen under Soda control, and that's just the start of the story

Written By: gibbo on 06/22/13 at 3:10 am

We call it 'soft drink'.  or just by whatever name the actual drink is ... Coke, Fanta, Pepsi etc.  But as a collective ... they are soft drinks.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/13 at 5:47 am

Tonic, but the usage seems to be going out of style.  You can tell someone is from New England if they ask for tonic.

Written By: warped on 06/22/13 at 6:15 am

We call it "pop" here.  We also use the term "soft drink"

I have never heard it called "tonic" before.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/13 at 6:59 am

What's so "soft" about soft drinks? ???

Written By: Inertia on 06/22/13 at 8:03 am

I say soda usually, but I have been known to call it coke too.

The only slang I never use to describe soft drinks would be pop.

Most people I know in Kentucky say either coke or soda too although coke is much more popular.

Written By: nally on 06/22/13 at 11:33 am

I often refer to them as soda; occasionally I will hear people refer to them as "soft drinks".

Written By: snozberries on 06/22/13 at 12:19 pm

I call it soda.

My friend who was born and raised in San Jose Ca calls it pop.

Written By: snozberries on 06/22/13 at 12:20 pm

What's so "soft" about soft drinks? ???

No alcohol.....aka "hard liquor"

Written By: snozberries on 06/22/13 at 12:21 pm

I have never heard it called "tonic" before.

Same here.

If someone here says tonic they generally mean tonic water

Written By: Katluver on 06/22/13 at 1:50 pm

I don't drink that shyt anymore, but I refer to it as "soda" even though I live in Canada. I think I adapted that term when I lived in the DC area for a few years. I remember I would use the term "pop", and the people there were like, "Huh?".

Written By: Step-chan on 06/22/13 at 2:32 pm

I tend to call it "pop" more often than not.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/13 at 2:38 pm

Soda.

When I lived in Oklahoma, they all called it pop. I remember there was a girl that I said I wanted to get a soda. She looked at me strange and asked, "What's a soda?" I couldn't believe she never heard of it. After going to the store and getting one, I showed it to her and she said, "Oh, you mean pop." I REFUSED to call it that so when I wanted to what kind they had, I asked, "What kind of soft drinks do you have?" But like Kat, I don't drink them anymore.

As for tonic, this is what I think of:

http://thehouseofglunz.com/images/products/detail/CanadaDryTonicWater.1.jpg

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 06/22/13 at 3:33 pm

Normally I call it soda but there are times when I will ask for a "soda pop".

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/13 at 4:59 pm

Way back when...when carbonated drinks like Coca Cola were first being marketed they were marketed as tonics to cure what ails you.  Some had quinine, some had pain killers, alcohol, or herbs.  The term tonic just seemed to have stuck here in New England.  It is passing out of fashion, as regionalisms are passing out of fashion all over the country.  I don't think it is for the better.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/22/13 at 7:32 pm

I call it soda.

My friend who was born and raised in San Jose Ca calls it pop.

I call it soda too.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/13 at 7:34 pm

No alcohol.....aka "hard liquor"

like http://www.dreamsblend.com/wp-content/uploads/mikeshardlemondaeneon.jpg

hard lemonade?

Written By: Howard on 06/22/13 at 7:35 pm

I tend to call it "pop" more often than not.

pop is too 80's.

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/13 at 8:40 pm

The only time I hear or see it as Soda is on American radio and TV stations.  We call it Pop in Canada

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/13 at 10:32 pm

Way back when...when carbonated drinks like Coca Cola were first being marketed they were marketed as tonics to cure what ails you.  Some had quinine, some had pain killers, alcohol, or herbs.  The term tonic just seemed to have stuck here in New England.  It is passing out of fashion, as regionalisms are passing out of fashion all over the country.  I don't think it is for the better.  :-\\

I was going to mention the pharmaceutical origin of "tonic," as in health tonics.  The irony is "tonic" is bad for you and most of the health tonics pharmacists were mixing when Pemberton invented Coca-Cola were pretty much useless too!

New Englanders pronounce it "twahnic."  Everybody who calls it soda in New England knows what "twahnic" is. 

I'd generically call Perrier "mineral water."  I remember in elementary school my friend Bryant, whose parents were loaded, used to bring little bottles of Perrier in his lunch.  Stuck-up fat little sh*t he was.  He got a perfect 1600 on his SATs and somewhere cum loudy at one of the Ivies.  Now he is a zillionaire computer whiz and prolly still drinks Perrier for lunch!
:P

Anyway....
Everywhere else they call it a milkshake.  In New England, we call it a frappe. 

I said to my roommate from Alberta in college,
"Well, I'm going over to the snack bar to get a frappe."
"What the f**k is a frappe?"
"A milkshake."
"Oh..."

In Providence it used to be called a "cabinet," but I think that's urban legend.  Why would somebody make up a regionalism for a milkshake?  Don't know.
8)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/23/13 at 9:15 am

In Providence it used to be called a "cabinet," but I think that's urban legend.  Why would somebody make up a regionalism for a milkshake?  Don't know.
8)

WOW...Cabinet!  I knew someone from Providence that called it a cabinet and I laughed so hard she never said it again.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/13 at 11:30 am

I was going to mention the pharmaceutical origin of "tonic," as in health tonics.  The irony is "tonic" is bad for you and most of the health tonics pharmacists were mixing when Pemberton invented Coca-Cola were pretty much useless too!

New Englanders pronounce it "twahnic."  Everybody who calls it soda in New England knows what "twahnic" is. 

I'd generically call Perrier "mineral water."  I remember in elementary school my friend Bryant, whose parents were loaded, used to bring little bottles of Perrier in his lunch.  Stuck-up fat little sh*t he was.  He got a perfect 1600 on his SATs and somewhere cum loudy at one of the Ivies.  Now he is a zillionaire computer whiz and prolly still drinks Perrier for lunch!
:P

Anyway....
Everywhere else they call it a milkshake.  In New England, we call it a frappe. 

I said to my roommate from Alberta in college,
"Well, I'm going over to the snack bar to get a frappe."
"What the f**k is a frappe?"
"A milkshake."
"Oh..."

8)

I call an ice cream based drink a milkshake but I call a fruit based drink a frappe. In Puerto Rico, you can get frappes to DIE for!

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/13 at 3:18 am

In New England we call liquor stores "package stores."  Or just "the packie."

Go down to da packie and get me a handle of vodka!

Written By: karen on 06/24/13 at 12:37 pm

I used to call it all "pop"

Now I generally specify what I'm asking for/offering to drink or I would ask if someone wanted a soft drink.

Took us a while to work out what package stores sold.  In the UK supermarkets sell beers, wine and spirits.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/13 at 4:25 pm

When I lived in Mass & Conn, we sometimes we called them the "wacky packy." They don't call them package stores here in Vermont.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/13 at 10:20 pm

I used to call it all "pop"

Now I generally specify what I'm asking for/offering to drink or I would ask if someone wanted a soft drink.

Took us a while to work out what package stores sold.  In the UK supermarkets sell beers, wine and spirits.

Supermarkets in Massachusetts can't sell beer or wine.  Supermarkets in other states can.  Convenience stores can sell beer and wine, but not spirits.  You have to go to the liquor store for that.  Though, you will see fortified wine and malt liquor in certain neighborhood convenience stores.  The U.S. is funny because every state has different laws about alcoholic beverage vending and some are mighty peculiar! 
::)

Written By: KayKay on 06/25/13 at 5:54 am

Here in the UK it varies a little (as far as I know) I've heard "soft drinks" referred to as "pop" "fizzy" etc, but I just use the name of the drink usually, like coke, lemonade etc...

It's true over here that you can buy all alcoholic drinks from the supermarket though, and some convenience shops.

Kay x

Written By: Katluver on 06/25/13 at 1:42 pm

Here in the UK it varies a little (as far as I know) I've heard "soft drinks" referred to as "pop" "fizzy" etc, but I just use the name of the drink usually, like coke, lemonade etc...

It's true over here that you can buy all alcoholic drinks from the supermarket though, and some convenience shops.

Kay x

I remember when I went to London 9 years ago, Marks & Spencers had wine coolers for sale.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/27/13 at 11:55 am

The only time I hear or see it as Soda is on American radio and TV stations.  We call it Pop in Canada

But...but...I thought...what about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXnTbmPxv5g

Aww.  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/13 at 9:59 pm

KARMA! 

I was going to post Go for a Soda yesterday, but I didn't get around to it.  Yeah, Kim Mitchell is from Sarnia, Ontario.  I guess "Go for a Pop" doesn't flow like "Might as well go for a soda nobody drowns and nobody dies!"
:)

Don't forget Shasta, don't want the same old soda,  I wanna pop pop, I wanna Shasta!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_XEOrAl1J8

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/13 at 10:50 pm

Speaking of....

http://www.rickjohnson.ca/images/CanadaDay2009Ad.jpg

Had you been in Edmonton...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/05/13 at 1:02 am

Speaking of....

http://www.rickjohnson.ca/images/CanadaDay2009Ad.jpg

Had you been in Edmonton...

Edmonton always kind of mystified me. Perhaps some of our Canadian friends could enlighten me, but I never could fathom why THAT MANY people would willingly choose to live THAT FAR north.  :P

Written By: warped on 07/05/13 at 6:21 am

I was going to post Go for a Soda yesterday, but I didn't get around to it.  Yeah, Kim Mitchell is from Sarnia, Ontario.  I guess "Go for a Pop" doesn't flow like "Might as well go for a soda nobody drowns and nobody dies!"

Remember the song well, being on Ontario at the time. Not too many in Canada call it "Soda", usually "Pop".  There even was a store here in the 70s called "The Pop Shoppe" where they sold only Pop. 

http://images.canadianlisted.com/nlarge/vintage-pop-shoppe-bottles-and-crate_5555548.jpg

Written By: warped on 07/05/13 at 6:27 am

Edmonton always kind of mystified me. Perhaps some of our Canadian friends could enlighten me, but I never could fathom why THAT MANY people would willingly choose to live THAT FAR north.  :P

Good question AL. Even as a Canadian I don't think I could have lived in Edmonton, where it's really freezing cold in the wintertime. All I can say is if you were born & grew up there..living in -20 degree weather in winter was...normal to you? Coz you were used to it.

But there are almost 1 million people who live in Edmonton. Cost of living is cheaper? Maybe. Prices of houses much less than Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto? Sure..but that still wouldn't lure me to live there.

Written By: Lindee on 07/05/13 at 11:50 am

I'm in WI and we call it soda. My Brother and SIL are in OH and call it pop.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/13 at 3:32 pm

Remember the song well, being on Ontario at the time. Not too many in Canada call it "Soda", usually "Pop".  There even was a store here in the 70s called "The Pop Shoppe" where they sold only Pop. 

http://images.canadianlisted.com/nlarge/vintage-pop-shoppe-bottles-and-crate_5555548.jpg

What about different flavors of pop?

Written By: warped on 07/05/13 at 5:13 pm

What about different flavors of pop?

Oh yes there were several flavors.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/13 at 11:40 pm

Good question AL. Even as a Canadian I don't think I could have lived in Edmonton, where it's really freezing cold in the wintertime. All I can say is if you were born & grew up there..living in -20 degree weather in winter was...normal to you? Coz you were used to it.

But there are almost 1 million people who live in Edmonton. Cost of living is cheaper? Maybe. Prices of houses much less than Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto? Sure..but that still wouldn't lure me to live there.

Oil.  Black gold.  Texas tea.  That's what gave Edmonton its growth spurt from prairie town to big city after WWII.  Edmonton's on the same latitude as Manchester, England and Hamburg, Germany.  What makes the difference in climate has less to do with latitude and more to do with the ocean.  Edmonton is so damn cold because it's a continental city whereas Vancouver and Halifax are tempered by the maritime effect of the ocean.  Summers are hotter in the interior and winters are colder.  In fact, Regina, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg are slightly colder than Edmonton even though they are farther south. 

My roommate in college was from Edmonton.  He used to complain about the winters here in Massachusetts.  He explained that Edmonton went into deep freeze and the snow didn't melt until April, whereas in New England the weather cycled constantly between frost and thaw and there was ice, slush, and mud everywhere. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/09/13 at 12:16 am

I have vague memories of that stuff -- so I looked, and apparently The Pop Shoppe is back, and in the original bottles, available in Canadian-based Wal*Mart stores and elsewhere.  I doubt anyone remembers what the old stuff used to taste like (or even when it vanished from the shelves or the gas stations), but if they do, there's only one way to find out...

Written By: XYkid on 07/29/13 at 5:13 pm

I call it Pop because I'm from Oregon, but here (Southern California) everyone calls it soda. I usually have to say soda to get them to understand me.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/30/13 at 10:37 am

I am German and when I am in the US I usually say "soda".

Written By: ninny on 07/30/13 at 10:48 am

Lets see I've called it soda, I've called it pop, I've even called it soda pop..and oh yeah I called it Al :D

Written By: Howard on 07/30/13 at 7:57 pm

Lets see I've called it soda, I've called it pop, I've even called it soda pop..and oh yeah I called it Al :D

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/13 at 8:56 pm

I am German and when I am in the US I usually say "soda".

alkoholfreies Getränk
???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/13 at 2:22 am

I call soft drinks a curse, for it is bad for your blood pressure.

"You know that drinking too many sodas and other sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs), such as teas and flavored drinks, is bad for your waistline. New research shows that it may be bad for something else, too—your blood pressure. A new study of nearly 3,000 people published in the journal Hypertension reported that those who drank more than one serving a day of SSBs had significantly higher blood pressure than participants who drank one serving (about 12 ounces) or less daily.

As a researcher, I look to see that other studies have confirmed a study's results before drawing a conclusion and giving advice. The most convincing support, to date, for these recent findings comes from a 2010 study in Circulation. In that study, when 810 people with high blood pressure or even slightly elevated blood pressure (pre-hypertension) reduced their intake of SSBs over 18 months, they lowered their blood pressure.

Rachel Johnson, Ph.D, M.P.H., R.D."

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/31/13 at 5:37 am

alkoholfreies Getränk
???

"Limonade" is the actual term, but it is kind of old fashioned now. In Germany we tend to mention the exact sort of soda when we order one: "Cola", "Sprite" and so on... we don't need a superordinate term in daily speech.

"Alkoholfreie Getränke" is more than soda and usually include juices, mineral water etc.

Written By: Stompgal on 08/15/13 at 7:14 am

I tend to call them pop but I call them fizzy drinks a well.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/15/13 at 8:26 am

I call it pop and I always have!

Check for new replies or respond here...